Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

All Canadian labeling legally has to be in both English and French. Often if a word is the same in both languages, they get cute and put the cognate or brand name in big letters with French and English modifiers in a smaller font on one side each, because the languages have inverse rules for where adjectives and modifiers go in a sentence.

I mean we can say “without lactose” there’s no rule against it

Grade A snipe :69snypa:

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Italy is notoriously compliant with the Hague Convention in name only. Take a child there, and if the legal proceedings take a year or more, as they normally do, the custody system prioritizes a child being "settled" above all else, and the Italian parent gets permanent custody.

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

Mx. posted:

AITA for letting my dog get into bed while I'm naked?

On the one hand, he's a dog, and on the other, he's a guy and I'm not gay.

This wording makes it sound like he wants to gently caress the dog, but won't gently caress a male dog because that's gay.

(I know he doesn't want to gently caress his dog, I just cracked up at that. Like "I sleep naked with my male dog, but no homo bro!")

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I (23m) contacted a girl's (22f) work to ask if she was okay after she unexpectedly ghosted me out of nowhere. She got angry at me and blocked me. Where did I go wrong?

As someone with a lot of anxiety, I could see myself pulling some poo poo like this if I were ten years younger. I think with age and experience, I would save my freakouts only for someone I'm established as in a relationship with and not just seeing casually. But yeah, someone going no communication suddenly would be pretty upsetting, especially if I knew they were suicidal and really stressed out.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

therobit posted:

AITA for saying my daughter wouldn’t be allowed to have a graduation party because my son isn’t having one?

Uh, guys? The comments on this...

quote:

My son may not be the nicest person but he wouldn’t do something like that when he should be asleep

quote:

So you admit he's not nice, that's why he hasn't got many friends.

quote:

Ok but neither is my daughter

quote:

YTA - what the dickens did I just read? How is it your daughter’s problem your son only has four friends? You are 100% being unfair to your daughter.

quote:

She could at least introduce her friends to him

quote:

Forgot to mention in the post, actually 2 years she skipped a few grades

quote:

are you mad that she is smarter than her brother too?

quote:

Her brother broke his tv when she skipped the second time but personally dont care

And then someone dug this up...

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

loving whoooooof

There’s a future estranged mother right there

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

The Maroon Hawk posted:

loving whoooooof

There’s a future estranged mother right there

I’m not sure it’s even a “future” estranged mother. Seems like they might already be estranged while living in the same house.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
All the milk posting and now I have this stuck in my head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnphD0ePokc

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

r/relationships: this weird horkk smorkk noise

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
r/relationships: and I have my sin
*son

AITA for leaving my empty wrappers on the table when there are janitors who are paid to clean it up?

quote:

I didn't wanna post here but my friends have been going on at me for what happened so I wanna get a outside opinion.

I (14F) hate the food they serve in the canteen so I bring my own food from home. When I'm done eating, I put the wrappers on the table and leave them there, it's something I do like regularly. Recently, my friends have started to get funny with me, saying I'm literally littering and being selfish. But I'm not littering, I'm leaving it on the table, if I was littering I would be leaving it on the floor.

I don't understand why there suddenly getting upset at me for doing it, it's something I've been doing for years now and theyve never said anything about it before. There argument is that I shouldn't litter and that it's bad for the planet but my argument is we have cleaners at our school who do it for us. It's not like I'm throwing it on the floor outside, if I do it where the janitors can clear it up afterwards then it gets to the bin eventually.

They called me selfish and said it's unfair that I'm giving them more work but there paid to clean. It's not like I'm forcing them to grade my homework, there gonna clean the tables anyway so what's wrong with me leaving a empty sandwich wrapper on the table? Cuz they've never said anything before now I'm wondering if it's something else or if they're genuenly mad at me.

AITA for littering when there are janitors who can clean it up for me?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Invisible Clergy posted:

r/relationships: and I have my sin
*son

AITA for leaving my empty wrappers on the table when there are janitors who are paid to clean it up?

I hereby sentence you to two years working as a janitor in the same building you go to school in. Have fun cleaning the ladies bathroom.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

therobit posted:

I hereby sentence you to two years working as a janitor in the same building you go to school in. Have fun cleaning the ladies bathroom.

This reminded me of I think Ted Cruz saying the way to solve the budget crisis in schools is to have the poor children be the janitorial staff. They would be paid in class credits or the usual bullshit line, "experience".

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
half the kids at my high school had the same philosophy wrt leaving trash everywhere after lunch. it was wild watching the seagulls descend on all the scraps.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
How will my milksteaks turn out if I sous-vide them in UHT milk?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fatty posted:

How will my milksteaks turn out if I sous-vide them in UHT milk?

Not as well as if you sous-vide them in maple syrup!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

WIBTA if I called the police about a weird person who visits the Cemetery at unusual hours?

quote:

So I live across the street from an old Cemetery, i'm a bit of a night owl and don't sleep well so i'll sometimes sit at my window looking out at the night as the views are lovely especially the vies of the Cemetery, there is something peaceful and beautiful about it.

The last few weeks though i've noticed the same car pulls up between 11pm and 1am almost every night and the person who gets out goes into the Cemetery, they go to a grave and set up some candles and don't leave for a few hours...at first I figured this person was visiting someone and the hours could be explained away by the fact that maybe they worked long hours and this was their only time to come here.

That was until I noticed the candles they lit were changing position and never at the same grave and they always stay there for hours...i've gone to the Cemetery during the day to check it out once they were gone and i've found old candles but nothing else, i'm not sure if they are doing anything illegal but something about this entire situation sets my teeth on edge.

Would I be overreacting and an rear end in a top hat to reach out to the police about this?

ETA: In case anyone is curious the graves vary widely, no linked family names and the death dates vary greatly and some are hundreds of years old while others are more recent.
Comment:

quote:

And if they are performing some ritual, still don’t see the big deal. If they’re trying to raise the dead, they’re probably not going to succeed. And if they do succeed that is definitely not someone you want mad at you.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

WIBTA if I called the police about a weird person who visits the Cemetery at unusual hours?

Comment:
And if they are performing some ritual, still don’t see the big deal. If they’re trying to raise the dead, they’re probably not going to succeed. And if they do succeed that is definitely not someone you want mad at you.

I love the 'probably' gotta hedge the bets, after all it worked that one time in 30AD!

This one is too long and probably L'esprit de l'escalier but still amused me

AITA for telling someone to mind their own business in a conversation that didn’t include them.

quote:

My husband (37m) and I (37F) have been together for over 5 years and we’re friends for 2 years before that. We worked together on the same team but from different offices but got really close and one thing led to another. I left that company for another where I now make way more money and can contribute more funds to our bills and fun activities.

We joke with each other all the time about him being the trophy wife as he is wayyy better about keeping the house up and cooking and making sure bills are paid on time and that I’m better at doing things like making sure things are handled if an issue comes up with the medical issues (both diabetics) and making sure monies allocated to the bill account so he can make sure it gets paid on time. I’m also better (usually) with conflict (with things like companies ie charged wrong or fighting us on insurance payments for insulin) he’s better at being a disciplinary for our 14 yr old where as I am better with things like homework and understanding Fenyx’s emotions. He’s more introverted and hates crowds I’m an extroverted social butterfly We have solid communication with each other don’t argue often and when we do we sit and talk about it and brainstorm a solution together.

Fast forward to this afternoon. We were out grocery shopping for the week and we were going down the treat isle as we like to have something on hand for low blood sugars. There was a box of nutter butter cakesters which has about 36 carbs which is not bad to help push up a low. Husband makes joke about it going to his hips (this man is 6’7 190 those cakesters aren’t going anywhere but his hollow legs) and I made the joke about him not being my trophy wife anymore he laughs and says He’d get it all in the divorce. Something to keep in mind I’m 5’2 170 so not a string bean by anyones definition. This lady comes up and says I shouldn’t be emasculating him and that I should be more respectful when talking to my husband. We look at each other and smirk at each other while an unspoken conversation happens between us. I looked at the lady and advised that it was none of her business what happens between to consenting adults and that she should mind her business. She started to go off on a religious rant and I interrupted her and said if I wanted your opinion according to your beliefs I’d be speaking with your husband. She got red in the face and walked away. Hubby just nods his head and we head to check out. We get home and I start thinking about what we talk to Fenyx about conflict resolution but the whole thing made me mad. (For context we live in Utah)

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Fenyx?

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Comment:

yeah, they're the rear end in a top hat. let the goths and/or necromancers have their fun.

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.

The 14 year old kid at home

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

therattle posted:

I mistrust it because it tastes like arse.

I hate the taste of UHT milk as well and dreaded having to drink it when we'd visit family in Spain.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Comment:

The cemeteries im familiar with have signs on the grave entrances posted with rules and legal visiting hours. The ones i know end at about 8pm, and the Jewish cemetery is closed on Shabbat. In the very least this person should tell the cemetery caretakers to ensure vandalism or destruction to the markers isnt happening. Or worse, a fire breaks out by accident because people do bring flammable trinketa like ribboned signs and toys. Its pretty unlikely but still. Dont mess with peoples love ones.

QueenAnnesDead
Apr 17, 2016

This is off 'rareddit', where the deleted threads go, but I thought it was funny.

Wife (36f) has been using her parents money for years to pad our budget

quote:

I recently quit my job as I prepare to go full time with my own business and was looking at my finances to modify our budget for the time being.

My wife and I have been married for 12 years and we have 3 kids, she’s been at home with them for about 9 years now. She’s had a house hold and personal spending budget that’s been basically the same for this amount of time and we’ve never had a problem sticking to it. When I look at our finances every few months and yearly, she is below at our budget almost always and manages to get everything we need.

As I was looking at our itemized budget and her recent spending habits (the last 6 months or so, just so I could see a trend), I started noticing that entire purchases or shopping trips were missing from her credit card statements. For example a couple months ago she and her sister took the kids to Disney, I realized that none of that cost was on our accounts and there was no big transfer of money over if it was the case that her sister paid for everything and we paid her back afterwards.

We shop at Trader Joe’s all the time, but the only grocery store we go to according to our credit card statements is Walmart and Costco.

She upgrades some household decor and kids clothing as well as her own and my clothes every so often, but as far as decor and clothing I barely see $150 dollars spent over the past year.

I confront her thinking she has a second credit card I don’t know about.

She confesses that, actually, she DOES have a second credit card but it’s one she’s had for 20 years and her parents pay the balance every month. They’ve had her and all her siblings on a “fun money” allowance. I asked by BIL (married to wife’s sister) and he apparently has known about this and is ok with spending their money as long as it’s on trivial stuff.

I am blown away. Don’t even know how to feel. I’m humiliated, emasculated, angry. I also feel like a fool because I thought this life we were living where I provided a nice lifestyle where we could treat ourselves and get the kids nice stuff has been a lie. My income pays the bills, sure, but I guess I’m an idiot for also thinking it covered all this other stuff my wife does with the kids .

One plus side is we have managed to save money over the years more than what I had ever thought we could, and that’s because my wife uses her allowance on “frivolous “ stuff and never our money, unless it was something we decided to do for the kids together.

I don’t even know what to do here.

Top comment: "It took you a decade to realize your family is spending way more than what you bring? And you're starting your own business?"

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hughlander posted:

I love the 'probably' gotta hedge the bets, after all it worked that one time in 30AD!

This one is too long and probably L'esprit de l'escalier but still amused me

AITA for telling someone to mind their own business in a conversation that didn’t include them.

I don’t care if it’s fictional, that’s a solid retort.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

a fake name that their daughter chose for the post. reddit didn't like it either

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Comment:

Some people just have to make trouble. Personally a dream home location would be next to a cemetery. Nice open green space, totally silent, never mind a bit if you make some noise.

And nth-ing that comment, don't make an enemy of a necromamcer

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
the kind of people who hang out in the cemetery at night are all p chill and laid back. none of them are ever going to bother you

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

lmbo that the Americans immediately released the book as And Then There Were None but the Brits used the original title until 1985

I mean this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_and_White_Minstrel_Show - was prime time British TV entertainment until 1978 :shobon:

I was born in 1977. Not totally sure but I might actually have had a golliwog as a little kid.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

value-brand cereal posted:

The cemeteries im familiar with have signs on the grave entrances posted with rules and legal visiting hours. The ones i know end at about 8pm, and the Jewish cemetery is closed on Shabbat. In the very least this person should tell the cemetery caretakers to ensure vandalism or destruction to the markers isnt happening. Or worse, a fire breaks out by accident because people do bring flammable trinketa like ribboned signs and toys. Its pretty unlikely but still. Dont mess with peoples love ones.

* drives through the cemetery haphazardly while playing Ingress/Pokémon Go and runs over a few headstones *

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

It's done in the US because organic milk sells more slowly than conventional, so that allows it to have a longer shelf life. This is for non shelf stable / refrigerated organic milk, too. It's the only product I purposely buy organic since I just use it in tea so a half gallon can last a month open in the fridge. Otherwise, gently caress the organic food industry.

Does UHT milk last longer after opening, too? I'd never heard of it before and it would be useful for my sporadic use, but I assumed that only worked until you broke the seal and all the regular stuff in the air gets to start working..

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Bruceski posted:

Does UHT milk last longer after opening, too? I'd never heard of it before and it would be useful for my sporadic use, but I assumed that only worked until you broke the seal and all the regular stuff in the air gets to start working..

Once the bacteria come in, it's as mortal as any other milk.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Mr. Lobe posted:

Once the bacteria come in, it's as mortal as any other milk

I really, really like your phrasing here

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

limp_cheese posted:

This reminded me of I think Ted Cruz saying the way to solve the budget crisis in schools is to have the poor children be the janitorial staff. They would be paid in class credits or the usual bullshit line, "experience".

It was Newt Gingrich if you care, but close enough.

AITA for joining a funeral procession to get to work on time?

quote:

I live in a major city where a police officer was recently murdered on the job. My condo is 3 buildings down from the hospital.

As I am leaving work this morning I cannot leave my building as there is at least 200-300 cars lined up with flashers on. Behind them there are countless police officers on motorcycles and fire trucks. I’m pretty sure there were even a couple choppers in the air.

I sit outside my building for 20 minutes before my boss texts me asking where I am (usually I live 15 mins away from work).

At this point I turn my flashers on and cut in front of this older looking couple. In the procession they literally let us go through red lights and stop signs with police escorts. The funeral home ended up being right next to my job site and I get to work in record time.

I feel bad about joining it. AITA for doing this to not get fired ?

Zushio
May 8, 2008
When I was a kid my Grandmother refused to use sugar for anything except baking. Her sweetener of choice was called Equal, she preferred the powder to the tablets. Equal is marketed as being 200x sweeter than sugar and is a mix of aspartame, acesulfame potassium, dextrose and maltodextrin. To me the powder, and anything it was added to, took on a distinct flavour of paper. Like if someone had ground up a sheet of white paper and infused it with sugar. It even kinda smelled like sweet paper. Needless to say I was not a fan.

In 2011 we started replacing all of our paper bank notes with polymer ones. Prior to that you would occasionally get a fresh paper bank note from the bank or ATM. I always thought they smelled the exact same way Equal does. To me they even smelled like Equal tastes, if that makes any sense. Sometimes they would come out of an ATM warm which made the smell much more intense. People say the new polymer notes smell like maple syrup, but I don't get it personally. The do have tiny amounts of tallow though.

In conclusion, UHT milk tastes like someone added Equal to it and smells like money. It's also like 25% - 40% more expensive in my area.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Zushio posted:

When I was a kid my Grandmother refused to use sugar for anything except baking. Her sweetener of choice was called Equal, she preferred the powder to the tablets. Equal is marketed as being 200x sweeter than sugar and is a mix of aspartame, acesulfame potassium, dextrose and maltodextrin. To me the powder, and anything it was added to, took on a distinct flavour of paper. Like if someone had ground up a sheet of white paper and infused it with sugar. It even kinda smelled like sweet paper. Needless to say I was not a fan.

In 2011 we started replacing all of our paper bank notes with polymer ones. Prior to that you would occasionally get a fresh paper bank note from the bank or ATM. I always thought they smelled the exact same way Equal does. To me they even smelled like Equal tastes, if that makes any sense. Sometimes they would come out of an ATM warm which made the smell much more intense. People say the new polymer notes smell like maple syrup, but I don't get it personally. The do have tiny amounts of tallow though.

In conclusion, UHT milk tastes like someone added Equal to it and smells like money. It's also like 25% - 40% more expensive in my area.

They might be comparing it to a particular brand of synthetic maple syrup. Some of those use similar sugar substitutes to equal.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

QueenAnnesDead posted:

This is off 'rareddit', where the deleted threads go, but I thought it was funny.

Wife (36f) has been using her parents money for years to pad our budget

Top comment: "It took you a decade to realize your family is spending way more than what you bring? And you're starting your own business?"

“My wife’s extra money from her family has allowed us to save lots of money and provide a comfortable life for our children, this is BULLSHIT”

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Maroon Hawk posted:

“My wife’s extra money from her family has allowed us to save lots of money and provide a comfortable life for our children, this is BULLSHIT”

I feel so emasculated not worrying too much about money.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Sexual harassment at work

quote:

When my decorative coworkers walk past by me, I can’t focus, I feel disoriented and I often overly kind with them and make stupid decisions.

I’m a software developer and I have to be perfectly sane.

I feel I get manipulated. Can you categorise this behaviour as sexual harassment?

I mean they don’t do it on purpose but I hear from everywhere men end up accused because they can’t control themselves. Should women do it too?

Should I report it? I understand women like to look good but it completly destroys my productivity.

——

There are scientific studies about how decorative women affects men behaviour. For example the tone of the voice.

If I feel bad about something constantly because of somebody, that’s harassment by definition.

This group of women make a lot of mess inside the company by distracting people just because how they look. I’m talking about millions of worth of projects.

——

I would never ever sexually harass a woman I feel I get harassed by them. Just to be clear.

——

Guys, what’s the difference between visually or verbally abuse somebody?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Sexual harassment at work

Was this written by Jorp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away