Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I never got the appeal of that show

I was maybe a year or two too young for it

I was born in ‘85 and grew up with like the original Transformers and GI Joe stuff

It's basically Conan with techno magic, I loved it as a kid even though the original show is awful if you watch it now (many episodes are free on youtube), but is filled with so much pulp trappings the concepts are awesome

The original line was either dead or moved to the revamp where he was in space that was around briefly by the time you would have been old enough to remember it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

FlamingLiberal posted:

like all popular 80's cartoons, the toys were cool

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, it's dayglo Conan for kids. I was too young for the original series or movie to hit me, but I did check out an episode of the Kevin Smith cartoon and it was solid. Will definitely be watching more once I get into another fantasy kick. Which is probably going to be once The Rings of Power comes out.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 28, 2022

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Also, the idea of NEW cartoons every day after school was not a thing. They were re-running old Scooby Doo and Flintstones episodes from the late 60s/early 70s before He-Man (and all the others) took over the slot.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I'm a wee child, so the most He-Man I grew up with was the 00's version on Toonami (which sucked rear end).

They did play the original Thundercats at one point. That I'll admit was cool.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Time to justify the sickos tag:

quote:

Warner Bros. is in prep for “Barbie,” starring Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling and directed by Greta Gerwig, who co-wrote the screenplay with partner Noah Baumbach. They’re also at script stage on a Hot Wheels film. In July, Netflix will shoot the anticipated remount of “Masters of the Universe,” with Kyle Allen starring as the buff, blonde He-Man. Universal Pictures is at work on a horror franchise based on Magic 8 Ball with Blumhouse, and the studio is bringing Rock ’Em Sock ’Em Robots to life with Vin Diesel. At Paramount, Tom Hanks will embody his childhood favorite Major Matt Mason, the astronaut action figure, with “A Beautiful Mind” screenwriter Akiva Goldsman, and MGM will put forth Polly Pocket with writer-director Lena Dunham and star Lily Collins.

Variety can exclusively report that the division has also set Dan Mazer, a co-writer of “Borat Subsequent Moviefilm” and a prolific feature comedy director, to develop a film based on the ’70s strongman Big Jim action figures. Jason Bateman’s Aggregate Films is also at work on movies based on the Mattel dolls Chatty Cathy and Betsy Wetsy.

Hell yeah, a Betsy Wetsy movie!

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/mattel-films-robbie-brenner-barbie-he-man-1235166459/

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'll once again pimp the Toys that Made Us episode about He-Man. The real-world origin of Skeletor was pretty :black101:

Thundercats helped build Toonami. Always loved that dumb cartoon.

Yeah Dunham and Polly Pocket seems gross.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah Dunham and Polly Pocket seems gross.

She got the job because she has experience with tiny furniture

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I feel like that Barbie movie is going to be literally insane

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I was maybe a year or two too young for it

I was born in ‘85 and grew up with like the original Transformers and GI Joe stuff

Yeah, like most cartoons of that era, He-Man was a toy commercial (though somehow even more brazen about it than, say, Transformers), but it's exceedingly a product of its time and one of those "you had to be there" things. I was born in '84 and when I look at He-Man stuff, I just shrug, whereas a friend of mine who was born in '78 has huge nostalgia for it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Timby posted:

Yeah, like most cartoons of that era, He-Man was a toy commercial (though somehow even more brazen about it than, say, Transformers), but it's exceedingly a product of its time and one of those "you had to be there" things. I was born in '84 and when I look at He-Man stuff, I just shrug, whereas a friend of mine who was born in '78 has huge nostalgia for it.
I don't think the show was on TV as a kid either. I think it had stopped re-running by that point.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Lena Dunham moment has been due to come to a close for about a decade now. We’re probably stuck with her forever.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
There’s an official He-man YouTube channel that streams episodes all day if you want to check it out. But I’ll save you the time and tell that it’s not good at all. Some of the character designs are pretty wild but that’s it. This is coming from a guy who as a child carried He-man’s sword with him at all times and would only respond to being called “Prince Adam.”

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Without He-Man we wouldn't have this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32FB-gYr49Y&t=141s

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Really just look up the He-Man art by Earl Norem and enjoy that as it is great enough to appreciate without nostalgia. There are modern collector lines for the MOTU action figures which are awesome if you collect figures but I already have a different line I collect so I don't really have any. There are a bajillion new toys at the toy store this year, not sure if they will still be around in another year or two when my son will be old enough to care but he might be into something totally new by then

I hear the new She-Ra show was good but I never got around to watching it either, we had those toys too as a kid. Master of the Universe is also an avenue into finding out about bootleg toy lines and lines that "play with" He-Man. And you can find out about the Sun-Man toys, which I was shocked to find out are now officially part of the He-Man line, I remember briefly seeing them on the shelf as a kid and I should have bought one.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Kevin Smith reboot was pretty good. Definitely way better than any film he's made for the past 20 years. He should probably stick to pulp cartoons.

Although recently he got into NFTs so maybe he should just go away forever.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 29, 2022

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't think the show was on TV as a kid either. I think it had stopped re-running by that point.

Another thing like that, especially among anyone born after, say, 1987, is Dallas. It's a cultural icon, everyone knows this, but a lot of people who didn't grow up with it on the air don't realize just how loving big it was. Here was a soap opera about a Texas family squabbling back and forth about which faction got to control a family ranch (that had oil on it), and it ran for fourteen goddamn years, routinely drawing more than 20 million viewers every week for CBS. Broadcast networks only see viewership that big with huge live sporting events, and not always even so with those.

That was a cultural phenomenon we'll never see again.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I only really know about Dallas because of that episode of King of the Hill where Hank has to ferry around this idiot who thinks the show is a good representation of Texas.

I suppose there’s the “Who shot Mr. Burns?” thing but I didn’t know what that was about for years.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
yeah I think Who Shot JR? Was like where's the beef. A boomer reference even by the time the Burns homage came out

and now that's a boomer reference :negative:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Casimir Radon posted:

The Lena Dunham moment has been due to come to a close for about a decade now. We’re probably stuck with her forever.

Girls was a great show until it became clear she had literally zero self-awareness and all the stuff that came off as "haha these white girls are insane" was not meant as satire

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
The new She-Ra had an excellent first and last season, some of the most fantastically gay stuff I’ve ever seen in a kid show, but the middle seasons spun their wheels a bit trying to do a slow burn. Worth a watch if you’re into decently entertaining and wonderfully gay cartoons.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

When I took Russian in high school, there was a bit in the textbook about how popular Dallas was in the USSR. A few years ago, Gorbachev gave some interview where he talked about how Russians thought that capitalism was glamorous based on Dallas before getting the actual experience in the 90s.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Tars Tarkas posted:

Horror franchise based on Magic 8 Ball

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I’m old enough to remember Dallas being on tv but not old enough to remember much of the show itself. I just remember it was on Friday nights and my parents would always make popcorn when we’d watch it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Casimir Radon posted:

She has rich parents and no shame. That was always a given.

Timby posted:

Another thing like that, especially among anyone born after, say, 1987, is Dallas. It's a cultural icon, everyone knows this, but a lot of people who didn't grow up with it on the air don't realize just how loving big it was. Here was a soap opera about a Texas family squabbling back and forth about which faction got to control a family ranch (that had oil on it), and it ran for fourteen goddamn years, routinely drawing more than 20 million viewers every week for CBS. Broadcast networks only see viewership that big with huge live sporting events, and not always even so with those.

That was a cultural phenomenon we'll never see again.

And nowadays that's mostly remembered for having a whole season or two retconned as a dream.

Though nowadays writers seem to double and triple down rather than try to hard or soft retcon away a season or two of bad writing decisions.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Tars Tarkas posted:

And you can find out about the Sun-Man toys, which I was shocked to find out are now officially part of the He-Man line, I remember briefly seeing them on the shelf as a kid and I should have bought one.
Yeah, the MotU FB promoted sun man a few times (maybe during last Kwanzaa season) and went into the creator's motivation and backstory..:3

They sell retro-style figures of him too!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

I'm going to guess that most of the projects listed there, besides the Barbie and He-Man movies, will never see the light of day. still horrifying though

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

yeah I think Who Shot JR? Was like where's the beef. A boomer reference even by the time the Burns homage came out

and now that's a boomer reference :negative:
well I'm 43 and I remember Dallas, the thing that was really popular with my parent's generation, from when I was like seven or something. Yeah that is a very boomer show.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Barry Convex posted:

I'm going to guess that most of the projects listed there, besides the Barbie and He-Man movies, will never see the light of day. still horrifying though

You never know. Sometimes the C-listers make it to cinema while the A-list material dies in production because the suits won't stop quibbling about it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Dallas was insanely huge. Like I can't even think of anything modern that comes anywhere close... not even like GoT in its prime... maybe LOST? But Dallas was bigger than LOST, it seemed.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Having a monoculture really helps the perception of things being bigger than they are in terms of raw numbers.

Dynasty was better. Probably. I never saw Dallas.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Dynasty had Linda Evans, Heather Locklear, and Joan Collins

Dallas had Larry Hagman, Victoria Principal, Linda Gray, and Patrick Duffy (for most seasons!)

both were on so long by the time I remember anything it seemed like they were always on when I was a kid. I think they both had reboot series (Dallas's was a continuation iirc_

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Having a monoculture really helps the perception of things being bigger than they are in terms of raw numbers.

Dynasty was better. Probably. I never saw Dallas.

More that cable didn't have mass adoption yet, so all you had were the three networks and maybe 2-3 local channels if you were near a big enough population center. It averaged ~24M viewers an episode. Today breaking 4M is considered a smash hit.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/ugobananas/status/1487051512933191689

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i never actually watched Dallas or Dynasty with my family but i know my grandmother had a crush on larry hagman and i remember the epic catfight in Dynasty

my grandfather only watched good TV, he loved Taxi and Monty Python and stuff like that, so i only ever watched when he was watching

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Thundarr >>> He-Man

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Presto posted:

Thundarr >>> He-Man

absolutely

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

There is also Blackstar which came out right before Masters of the Universe, rumor is Blackstar was originally going to be black but was changed to ambiguous

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Blackstar is loving dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/grease-prequel-meet-the-cast-of-rise-of-the-pink-ladies-1235084344/

Grease Prequel that isn't Grease 2.