Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I wish this thread didn’t become switch vs whatever. The switch is a Nintendo machine, so it will always just do whatever it does.with no real effect in anything else

Kind of yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I wish this thread didn’t become switch vs whatever. The switch is a Nintendo machine, so it will always just do whatever it does.with no real effect in anything else

I didn't even mean for it to be that. I am sorry for suggesting a competitor succeeding and creating a PC platform might mean losing market share for Nintendo I like them both I will own both

I am sorry Mr. Miyamoto

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

sigher posted:

The Virtual Boy would like to have a word with you.

So, how about that Steam Deck boys? Forgot I waltzed into the Switch thread.

releasing the virtual boy constituted drowning it in a bathtub

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

sigher posted:

The Virtual Boy would like to have a word with you.

So, how about that Steam Deck boys? Forgot I waltzed into the Switch thread.

I will let you know when I get mine sometime this summer

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CharlestheHammer posted:

the psp is probably the closest anyone ever came to seriously challenging it with handheld and even then it wasn't close because the DS was such an idiotically huge success

the two things people tend to misremember in console sales is that the PSP was still a big success and that the 360 finished in last place in its generation

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I didn't even mean for it to be that. I am sorry for suggesting a competitor succeeding and creating a PC platform might mean losing market share for Nintendo I like them both I will own both

it would have been okay if you had made an argument based in reality tbh

apart from anything else, part of why the switch was A: cheap and B: plentiful was the fact that the Tegra was a semi-failed product that nintendo got a great loving deal on, and Nvidia already had a hojillion of the things in stock.

valve is contracting a custom APU from AMD during a global pandemic, recession and chip shortage. they physically cannot make enough units to compete with nintendo.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the psp is probably the closest anyone ever came to seriously challenging it with handheld and even then it wasn't close because the DS was such an idiotically huge success

the two things people tend to misremember in console sales is that the PSP was still a big success and that the 360 finished in last place in its generation

The PSP being pretty big just makes the Vita just that much sadder too

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also i wish console wars were still as big a thing as it was in like 2006 because "the PS3 outsold the 360, which finished in last place in its console generation" would be like ten times funnier a fact if people still ran around saying "xbots" and poo poo like that

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also i wish console wars were still as big a thing as it was in like 2006 because "the PS3 outsold the 360, which finished in last place in its console generation" would be like ten times funnier a fact if people still ran around saying "xbots" and poo poo like that

If Sony actually buys EA like is being floated we may be back in those times sooner than later.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Andrast posted:

The PSP being pretty big just makes the Vita just that much sadder too
I really love the PSP's whole simple metal/sharp aesthetic and hate the Vita's rounded/bubble/touchscreen look. I wish they had never added the touchscreen/back touch panel/cameras/motion, it's just so dated now.
It's partly why I haven't bothered doing much with it and keep delaying modding mine. I just really hate that bubble UI.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

If Sony actually buys EA like is being floated we may be back in those times sooner than later.

in no way is that "being floated" by anyone with any knowledge of the players involved

what are you talking about

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

lmao at sony being able to afford EA

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

in no way is that "being floated" by anyone with any knowledge of the players involved

what are you talking about

its coming right around when the Switch Pro finally releases

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Do people not realize how much bigger Microsoft is than Sony?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
It is funny that even in the steam deck thread, if you offend nintendo stans they come out swinging hard.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Kwolok posted:

It is funny that even in the steam deck thread, if you offend nintendo stans they come out swinging hard.

mm yep that's definitely what happened here.

welcome to the something awful dot com forums by the way it's cool to see brand new people

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Kwolok posted:

I own 3 switches and because I spoke against nintendo I am persona non grata. It's a bit much.

See space ghost coming at me for mentioning an article that is on like every loving news site and tweet and in the PS5 thread.

Get over yourself space ghost don't harass me

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ghosts aren’t real friend.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

I own 3 switches and because I spoke against nintendo I am persona non grata. It's a bit much.

See space ghost coming at me for mentioning an article that is on like every loving news site and tweet and in the PS5 thread.

oh there's an article? please link it i'd like to see the timeframe and structure of this imminent sony / EA merger.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

oh there's an article? please link it i'd like to see the timeframe and structure of this imminent sony / EA merger.

Buddy, you're being a bit of an rear end in a top hat
Why are you being like this

it's loving fluff thinkpieces you know that
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/digital/activision-blizzard-microsoft-ea-disney-sony-buy-1235081056/

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

This thread honestly makes me embarrassed to have preordered this thing. Glad I'm not standing in line outside a Toys R Us with you people.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

mm yep that's definitely what happened here.

welcome to the something awful dot com forums by the way it's cool to see brand new people

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

:ironicat:

homeless snail posted:

This thread honestly makes me embarrassed to have preordered this thing. Glad I'm not standing in line outside a Toys R Us with you people.

Honestly this. Can we just post about the steam deck and stop posting about the switch as though it matters here? The switch is cool, I own one solely for breath of hte wild and odyssey, neat! Lets talk about the steam deck in the steam deck thread. There is a switch thread ya know?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

I am sorry Mr. Miyamoto

I mean more were people turn into validating whichever one they prefer like it matters.

No matter where it starts that’s always where it ends

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kwolok posted:

:ironicat:

Honestly this. Can we just post about the steam deck and stop posting about the switch as though it matters here? The switch is cool, I own one solely for breath of hte wild and odyssey, neat! Lets talk about the steam deck in the steam deck thread. There is a switch thread ya know?
I was talking about you btw.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

homeless snail posted:

I was talking about you btw.

I'm sorry homeless snail I am not even sure what I said that upset you so much.

edit: Nevermind I see this is something you do often.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Hello I like my PC and don't console at all. I don't have a PlayStation or xBone or Switch or anything. I want to play PC games on a little handheld thing, I also like the idea of it also being an entire PC that can browse the internet and have things installed to it like a PC. Like it's my own machine I can do what I want with.

I really, truly don't think Valve or Nintendo give a hot balls what the other is doing. I think Epic is much more interested in the Deck, and Microsoft.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

KakerMix posted:

Hello I like my PC and don't console at all. I don't have a PlayStation or xBone or Switch or anything. I want to play PC games on a little handheld thing, I also like the idea of it also being an entire PC that can browse the internet and have things installed to it like a PC. Like it's my own machine I can do what I want with.

I really, truly don't think Valve or Nintendo give a hot balls what the other is doing. I think Epic is much more interested in the Deck, and Microsoft.

Oh boy do I absolutely hope epic tries to cut in with some hardware they sell at a crazy loss

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

KakerMix posted:

It'll be interesting to see what competition comes out for the steamdeck. I agree I don't think console manufacturers are going to care much but who else will dip their toes into the handheld pc market. A market which already kinda exists, Linus just did a big video on one that is pretty good from what I hear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImN-p_S9fMU&t=1s

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

homeless snail posted:

Counterpoint: It would pretty awesome to play Switch with everyone in line for a Deck at Best Buy or whatever.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Counterpoint: It would pretty awesome to play Switch with everyone in line for a Deck at Best Buy or whatever.

People waiting in line are probably just scalpers.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
as far as really niche markets that the Deck might impact, my first thought is people making custom emulator handhelds

waiting for Valve to announce the SNES cart expansion module for the deck

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

saying the stupidest most factually incorrect stuff i can and then acting like anyone correcting me is in the wrong ftw. i said the world was flat and for this crime they want me DEAD

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Personally I'm glad someone is finally making game consoles for weird grandpas that don't like video games. Underserved market ripe for Valve to dominate it.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i have a steam deck preorder and also a switch, I couldn't care less about who succeeds or fails. i don't even particularly love first party nintendo games.

however, people posting like the steam deck is going to compete with the switch in year one or breathlessly repeating fluff rumors about sony buying EA as if they're based in reality will never not be hilarious to me. these are wild rear end posts, just amazing posts. i live for these posts, i want them to continue, i do not want you to stop posting.

just felt like i needed to make that clear, carry on.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm still not sure whether I want to keep my Steam deck preorder or not

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Andrast posted:

I'm still not sure whether I want to keep my Steam deck preorder or not

give it to me so i can play umineko on the bus

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
If storage wasn't such a premium on the deck i would probably rip all my switch carts and just run yuzu on the deck.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Senator Drinksalot posted:

If storage wasn't such a premium on the deck i would probably rip all my switch carts and just run yuzu on the deck.
MicroSD cards, brah. Amazon’s selling like 400gb for $40 today and according to Valve the speed difference isn’t that much, especially for running roms.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Senator Drinksalot posted:

it wont run it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Strangely enough, the only reason I'm hesitating to go through with my Steam Deck preorder is the fact that 480p and 800x600 classic games (which make up a big chunk of what I'd want to play on this thing) won't be able to integer scale to the screen, so they'll either be tiny or stretched and bit blurry.