Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
The funny thing about targeted sanctions is that since they signal to the international community that the US is displeased at the leadership of a nation, they're reluctant to do business with said nation since who knows when more sanctions will be forthcoming.

So they effectively turn into broad spectrum sanctions, while the targeted individuals in question are wealthy and find ways to evade them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Alchenar posted:

3) This is the one that everyone above forgot to mention but it's the biggie - sanctions on military and dual-use equipment.
"Dual-use" was a term thrown around a lot in the 90s at Iraq sanctions and look how that turned out. I personally think targeted sanctions is the best solution out of a range of imperfect ones. Unlike countries that have a high turnover of leadership due to elections, Russia has a leadership that changes slowly over time and as Cinci said, Putin will probably make exceptions for oligarchs if they see their wealth become meaningless outside Russia.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Budzilla posted:

"Dual-use" was a term thrown around a lot in the 90s at Iraq sanctions and look how that turned out. I personally think targeted sanctions is the best solution out of a range of imperfect ones. Unlike countries that have a high turnover of leadership due to elections, Russia has a leadership that changes slowly over time and as Cinci said, Putin will probably make exceptions for oligarchs if they see their wealth become meaningless outside Russia.

I mean, sanctions on Iraq did make it impossible to rebuilt the Iraqi army from the catastrophic material losses of the first war, which made the 2003 invasion much much easier than it might have been and also kept a lid on Saddam's ambitions to attack the Kurds or have another go at Kuwait.

If you measure sanctions against objectives they aren't intended to achieve then obviously they do not come out looking good.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 30, 2022

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Alchenar posted:

I mean, sanctions on Iraq did make it impossible to rebuilt the Iraqi army from the catastrophic material losses of the first war, which made the 2003 invasion much much easier than it might have been and also kept a lid of Saddam's ambitions to attack the Kurds or have another go at Kuwait.

If you measure sanctions against objectives they aren't intended to achieve then obviously they do not come out looking good.

Also, if sanctions supposedly do nothing or only succeed in uniting the population in supporting their regimes more, then why do these countries keep asking for them to be removed? They should embrace them.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

Also, if sanctions supposedly do nothing or only succeed in uniting the population in supporting their regimes more, then why do these countries keep asking for them to be removed? They should embrace them.

Because most leaders, even the worst, generally are not Cobra Commander, and do not want to preside over a starving nation.

Conspiratiorist posted:

The funny thing about targeted sanctions is that since they signal to the international community that the US is displeased at the leadership of a nation, they're reluctant to do business with said nation since who knows when more sanctions will be forthcoming.

So they effectively turn into broad spectrum sanctions, while the targeted individuals in question are wealthy and find ways to evade them.

It's also my understanding that a lot of exporters don't want to go through the trouble of checking goods on their own dime, so "We're sanctioning everything but food and medicine" in practice becomes "we're sanctioning everything".

Sanctions are also going to become less and less effective over time as China's trade sphere grows bigger, and the US's comically large sanction list starts to mean less and less.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 30, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Alchenar posted:

I mean, sanctions on Iraq did make it impossible to rebuilt the Iraqi army from the catastrophic material losses of the first war, which made the 2003 invasion much much easier than it might have been and also kept a lid on Saddam's ambitions to attack the Kurds or have another go at Kuwait.

You're not wrong, but I don't think there's much appetite or interest in repeating the humanitarian clusterfuck that was the Iraq sanctions

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

You're not wrong, but I don't think there's much appetite or interest in repeating the humanitarian clusterfuck that was the Iraq sanctions

FWIW while I think sanctions are overused and do immiserate people (see for example sanctions against companies doing business in Crimea, which obviously makes the lives of people in Crimea worse, when they're the ostensible victims of occupation), the death statistics about the harm done by US sanctions in Iraq before the war were a massively successful propaganda campaign by Saddam that wasn't remotely close to the truth.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 30, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sinteres posted:

FWIW while I think sanctions are overused and do immiserate people, the death statistics about the harm done by US sanctions in Iraq before the war were a massively successful propaganda campaign by Saddam that wasn't remotely close to the truth.

That's the point I think. Putin knows his worst outcome is sanctions. With a portion or all of Ukraines GDP of 155 B USD in hand Putin can mitigate most of the effects of these sanctions. The workers will continue to work and be fattened up by Putin to gurantee loyalty and productivity.

The sanctions will be felt by citizens the most and United Russia can just spit out that the devil US did this to us and keep a massive polling lead also election theft is loving rampant lol

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 30, 2022

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

It's also my understanding that a lot of exporters don't want to go through the trouble of checking goods on their own dime, so "We're sanctioning everything but food and medicine" in practice becomes "we're sanctioning everything".

Relatedly, "these targeted sanctions against x y and z require you to do due diligence to ensure your sales to this country are not going to x y and z" will often lead to a discussion internally of "should we take the time to ensure we comply with this rule or just stop selling to the entire country which is only .1% of our volume anyway"

I used to do compliance for targeted individual sanctions at a major American company and my work day was going through customers who had the same name as the state department decreed bad guy, and either verifying that was not the same person, or reaching out to the customer and asking they send in ID and delaying their order until they did. It takes a whole department to do that if you sell internationally. It's a pain. And also a whole lot of random people with the same name (or name matching an alias) just always get their orders sightly delayed for a probably mysterious to them reason.

Maybe it's different now but at the time the rule was partial name match = investigation. Doesn't matter if you placed the order from California and that name is shared by tens of thousands of people, full investigation to prove it's not the bad guy so that you are documenting your compliance. That's going to incentize a lot of small consumer level companies that sell internationally to just remove the option to sell to the country in question overall.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Best Friends posted:

Relatedly, "these targeted sanctions against x y and z require you to do due diligence to ensure your sales to this country are not going to x y and z" will often lead to a discussion internally of "should we take the time to ensure we comply with this rule or just stop selling to the entire country which is only .1% of our volume anyway"

I used to do compliance for targeted individual sanctions at a major American company and my work day was going through customers who had the same name as the state department decreed bad guy, and either verifying that was not the same person, or reaching out to the customer and asking they send in ID and delaying their order until they did. It takes a whole department to do that if you sell internationally. It's a pain. And also a whole lot of random people with the same name (or name matching an alias) just always get their orders sightly delayed for a probably mysterious to them reason.

Maybe it's different now but at the time the rule was partial name match = investigation. Doesn't matter if you placed the order from California and that name is shared by tens of thousands of people, full investigation to prove it's not the bad guy so that you are documenting your compliance. That's going to incentize a lot of small consumer level companies that sell internationally to just remove the option to sell to the country in question overall.

though unrelated to this thread, this brought up two lol memories of my time at a major US network services provider:

- *walk over to the general counsel's desk* "hi, we've received a support ticket from someone who signed up using our self-service free tier. it's the Iranian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. what do we do with this, exactly?" "uh... we'll get back to you"
- on the opposite side of things: a customer being very annoyed at our certificate authority partners' compliance systems auto-rejecting a domain because it had "Iran" in the name. said customer was a US-based probably CIA-affiliated pro-Iranian democracy thing

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://www.ft.com/content/0cbbd590-8e48-4687-a302-e74b6f0c905d

A long and well written essay, summarising the situation in Ukraine. I can’t help you with paywall, since I think my “share article for free” links, as a paying subscriber, will ddox me, but I think that it’s a problem with multiple solutions.

The article won’t teach you much new if you’ve followed the situation closely, but for getting up to speed it’s great.

"The only thing I am sure about is that every bit of moral, political and military support that Ukraine gets from its friends and allies makes an invasion less likely."

That made me curious: does Ukraine have any actual allies? Obviously NATO is pushing back against Russia so they might count as the "friends" in that sentence, but are there direct allies; are there countries in central/eastern Europe sending troops to Ukraine itself? I'm guessing the writer meant "allies" in a generic sense but it just caught my eye.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Maybe they shouldn't use a font named after a siege weapon.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
So Russia doesn't have enough influence over its sphere of influence to prevent defections and is now threatening to bomb defectors if the US doesn't promise to maintain Russia's sphere of influence by preventing defectors from joining US alliances.

Amusingly Putins position that Ukraininans and Russians are essentially one people means that he's really threatening to bomb his own people while the US is negotiating with him to please not do that.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I think it was mentioned earlier this is essentially a war of cousins as odd as that sounds.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 30, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Owling Howl posted:

So Russia doesn't have enough influence over its sphere of influence to prevent defections and is now threatening to bomb defectors if the US doesn't promise to maintain Russia's sphere of influence by preventing defectors from joining US alliances.

Amusingly Putins position that Ukraininans and Russians are essentially one people means that he's really threatening to bomb his own people while the US is negotiating with him to please not do that.

From the Russian perspective Ukraine is a confederation of rebel oblasts that finally need to be reigned in

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The actual, blunt reason that Russia might invade Ukraine is simply that they've failed to stop Russia from claiming two valuable chunks of land, they've been jerked around by NATO long enough that its clear nobody wants to actually defend them, and there's enough Russia-sympathetic Ukrainians that they dont need to worry about unrest & insurgency if they're strategic with their land seizures (IE they're not going to conquer Kyiv).

Anything else is just rhetoric to obfuscate the realpolitik.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

There is no city of any significance in Ukraine they can take without worrying about insurgencies. As for everything else, Ukraine doesnt really need much external protection to fight back Russia in a defensive war.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sekenr posted:

There is no city of any significance in Ukraine they can take without worrying about insurgencies. As for everything else, Ukraine doesnt really need much external protection to fight back Russia in a defensive war.

But would they ruin their own country to fight against Russia's inevitable passification or would they shake their heads and take a potentially higher pension and wage (bribing them) as fascists usually do. Eg Czechoslovakia due to their industrial output was bribed with money and kept the insurgency down until the anthropoid was killed.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

But would they ruin their own country to fight against Russia's inevitable passification or would they shake their heads and take a potentially higher pension and wage (bribing them) as fascists usually do. Eg Czechoslovakia due to their industrial output was bribed with money and kept the insurgency down until the anthropoid was killed.

There are those who have made their mind about this (proverbial restoration of USSR), and you’ll need not much to get them to roll over - basically just don’t be an utter monster in public. Everyone else knows what’s life like in Crimea and Donbas well enough to approach any Russian offers with “some” scepticism.

For example, a friend of mine served in Ukrainian Navy during Crimea annexation - he was stationed in Crimea, a senior officer at a coastal rocket artillery base. If anyone remembers my posts from that time, that’s where I had information from about Russian soldiers trying to storm bases unarmed and fist-fighting the occupants into submission.

As things began to look final in Crimea, his base reached settlement with the Russian siege crew, and they were able to return home finally, after 2-3 weeks under siege.

Shortly afterwards, he was offered a Russian citizenship, and to join Russian army with the same rank. With no ways out, a mortgage on his neck, and a wife and an infant to provide for, he ended up accepting - disappointed with basically everything, but at least with measure of grim satisfaction that he gets to keep his life together, and that he’s getting a sizeable salary bump.

Then two weeks later he told me that he has been commandeered to some isolated military base in northern Russia, beyond Ural Mountains. That was the last time I’ve heard from him.

surf rock posted:

"The only thing I am sure about is that every bit of moral, political and military support that Ukraine gets from its friends and allies makes an invasion less likely."

That made me curious: does Ukraine have any actual allies? Obviously NATO is pushing back against Russia so they might count as the "friends" in that sentence, but are there direct allies; are there countries in central/eastern Europe sending troops to Ukraine itself? I'm guessing the writer meant "allies" in a generic sense but it just caught my eye.

They don’t have any military allies in strict sense.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Budzilla posted:

Can you at least post some context for us mono-lingual morons on an English speaking forum? I mean, I get the gist of it but the twitter comments aren't too helpful.

Apologies, I should have posted at least a summary. Please don't take my aggressively anti-american posting persona seriously, your contributions to the thread are appreciated Budzilla. It was originally a tool to run out idiot tankies, but clearly it's now pushing away normal people who are not obsessed with genocide denial.

==================

Maxim Mironov, a Russian professor in Argentina/Spain and a Navalny ally wrote a piece articulating the frustration I feel with the informational field regarding Russia. Here he is talking about two particular cases of the nominally liberal Echo Moskvy acting as controlled opposition (it's funded by Gazprom). The editor-in-chief Venediktov is promoting Kremlin viewpoints to create informational noise and visibility of a two sided debate to cover for the electronic voting being used to fake the results of voting and the government covering up the investigation into its own murder attempt. This is very transposable to the english-speaking sphere where a significant amount of information is retranslated from Kremlin controlled sources to create the illusion of there being two equivalent sides to any conflicting situation and drown out the substance of the reality with irrelevant lies or Kremlin's grievances.

I ran this through google translate and made some minor edits to make it readable:

quote:

How does propaganda work for the smart? We are all used to the fact that there are federal channels on which Solovyov, Kiselev, Skabeeva, Simonyan and others directly pour into people's ears an agenda that corresponds to the general line of the party. This strategy works for an audience that, for various reasons, does not use alternative sources of information.

But it is also important for the Kremlin to promote its agenda to an intelligent audience that has the opportunity to get acquainted with other points of view, and for these reasons, this audience is much more critical of the government. Clumsy methods of propaganda simply will not work for this audience, because it can always study alternative sources of information and understand that it is being deceived. Therefore, the main propaganda strategy for this audience is to instill doubts that white is white and black is black. For example, there is a fact 2*2=4. But propaganda for the smart ones begins to argue that maybe this is not so, maybe 2 * 2 is 5 or even 6. After all, everyone has the right to an alternative point of view, we have freedom of opinion. And then the reader, if he is constantly told that there are other views on 2*2=4, begins to doubt whether 2*2=4 is true or not.
It is in the field of propaganda for the smart that Venediktov is working quite successfully. The two most striking examples where the authorities use it are the promotion of the DEG (distance electronic voting which was used in the last elections to falsify votes which ensured victory for only Kremlin approved candidates) and the discrediting of the Navalny team.

How it works? Without exception, all independent experts came to the conclusion that the results of the DEG in Moscow were falsified. Moreover, the evidence presented is so convincing that it allows us to talk about falsifications with a probability of 99.999999999%. However, Venediktov spends hours of prime time airtime convincing everyone that the DEG is honest. At the same time, he completely ignores the arguments of experts who speak at his own radio station. He could not find a single respected expert who would speak in his support. He himself does not give any arguments and substantive arguments that refute the evidence of falsification. But many listeners get the impression that there is a point of view that the DEG is falsified, and there is a respected person who says that the DEG is honest. That is, it is not clear whether 2*2=4 or 2*2=5. Most listeners are not experts in statistics and cannot deeply understand the evidence that the DEG was falsified. Venediktov, promoting an absolutely false agenda, manipulating facts and ignoring the arguments of experts, is just fighting for the minds of this audience in order to sow doubts in it. A similar story with the poisoning of Navalny. There is already enough convincing evidence that this is the work of the FSB, and the entire state machine is involved in this story. Namely:
- Navalny's clothes have not yet been returned
- all the records from the hotel's security cameras have disappeared
- no criminal case was opened on the fact of poisoning
- there is information about the flights of the FSB officers who followed Navalny
- there is a confession of an FSB officer who participated in the operation to poison Navalny
- there are data on Navalny's analyzes missing from the medical history
- there are analyzes of several laboratories on the presence of Novichok in the biomaterial
– there is a long list of questions from the OPCW that Russia has de facto refused to answer.
That is, anyone who is in the subject understands perfectly well that it was the FSB, on behalf of the highest Russian authorities, who tried to kill Navalny.

What is the strategy for protecting Putin? Throw in as much irrelevant and false information as possible into the information field so that people have a doubt that not everything is so simple. Unfortunately, Venediktov actively helps the authorities in this. Another fake that was thrown in by Lavrov is that Volkov ordered the plane the day before Navalny was poisoned. And Venediktov, instead of asking Lavrov a question, where is the criminal case, because within it you can request, among other things, data on the aircraft’s booking, where are Navalny’s clothes, where the analyzes from the medical history have gone, begins to help Lavrov spin this fake. Like Volkov does not publish booking data, it means that Navalny's team has something to hide. From the same story, focusing on the fact that Navalny forbade the transfer of tests. Venediktov, as it were, forgot that immediately after the poisoning, Navalny's tests were taken by Russia, and Russia has all the results. That is, Venediktov is actively promoting the narrative that although the authorities are behaving a little strange about Navalny's poisoning, nevertheless, Navalny's team is also hiding a lot of things, and in the end it is not clear what happened. As if both sides lie and obscure, although it is absolutely clear why the Navalny family does not want to transfer the test data to Russia and disclose details of how they discovered the substance. It is already clear that Russia is not going to investigate anything. Otherwise, they would at least initiate a criminal case. Even if we accept the propaganda version that Navalny was given Novichok on an airplane or in Germany, this is still the poisoning of a Russian citizen with chemical weapons. A criminal case must be initiated. The Russian authorities need German analyzes only in order to understand where they were found out and so that next time no one will find anything. After all, Navalny was not released for two days precisely so that all traces of Novichok from his body disappeared. Apparently, the Germans have more sensitive equipment, and our authorities want to understand which ones. Naturally, Navalny and his family do not want Putin to improve his chemical weapons so that next time they are guaranteed to kill him, and that no one can find traces.

Does Venediktov understand this? Of course he understands, he is very smart. However, he pushes the story that Volkov does not release documents on the plane, and Navalny's family does not provide the Russian side with tests. Simonyan did similar work to defocus the agenda, when she pushed the version about Navalny being diabetic and having too much sugar, and other propagandists that Navalny drank too much moonshine.
It's just that Venediktov works for a different audience, which is why the propaganda is more refined.

Original: https://www.facebook.com/mironov.xyz/posts/137673762050262

Somaen fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jan 30, 2022

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Neurolimal posted:

The actual, blunt reason that Russia might invade Ukraine is simply that they've failed to stop Russia from claiming two valuable chunks of land, they've been jerked around by NATO long enough that its clear nobody wants to actually defend them, and there's enough Russia-sympathetic Ukrainians that they dont need to worry about unrest & insurgency if they're strategic with their land seizures (IE they're not going to conquer Kyiv).

Anything else is just rhetoric to obfuscate the realpolitik.

It's not a matter of Kiev so much as it's a matter of Kiev and most of the country west of that once you're between Moldova and Belarus.
And even other stuff before that is iffier and mixed rather than brazenly Russophile.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Somaen posted:

Apologies, I should have posted at least a summary. Please don't take my aggressively anti-american posting persona seriously, your contributions to the thread are appreciated Budzilla. It was originally a tool to run out idiot tankies, but clearly it's now pushing away normal people who are not obsessed with genocide denial.
Your posting persona wasn't what I was taking issue with. It was not posting any summation with the video in an English speaking forum. It is clear what is going on with the Crimean buyer's remorse but a few words of detail would be nice.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Then two weeks later he told me that he has been commandeered to some isolated military base in northern Russia, beyond Ural Mountains. That was the last time I’ve heard from him.
:stare:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

There are those who have made their mind about this (proverbial restoration of USSR), and you’ll need not much to get them to roll over - basically just don’t be an utter monster in public. Everyone else knows what’s life like in Crimea and Donbas well enough to approach any Russian offers with “some” scepticism.

For example, a friend of mine served in Ukrainian Navy during Crimea annexation - he was stationed in Crimea, a senior officer at a coastal rocket artillery base. If anyone remembers my posts from that time, that’s where I had information from about Russian soldiers trying to storm bases unarmed and fist-fighting the occupants into submission.

As things began to look final in Crimea, his base reached settlement with the Russian siege crew, and they were able to return home finally, after 2-3 weeks under siege.

Shortly afterwards, he was offered a Russian citizenship, and to join Russian army with the same rank. With no ways out, a mortgage on his neck, and a wife and an infant to provide for, he ended up accepting - disappointed with basically everything, but at least with measure of grim satisfaction that he gets to keep his life together, and that he’s getting a sizeable salary bump.

I read the same about Ukraine military who switched sides in Crimea. They get the "demonstrated unreliable loyalties" remark in their file ending any chance of advancement and get shipped off into the middle of nowhere.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Wow. That's nuts, I wonder what happened to all of the guys in Crimea that would turn coat by throwing on a black balaclava? Same fate due to possibly mixed allegiances?

I would theorize that he may magically return post occupation to do the same exact job he was doing in the same base just with a different set of chevrons and a shiny new flag.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Wow. That's nuts, I wonder what happened to all of the guys in Crimea that would turn coat by throwing on a black balaclava? Same fate due to possibly mixed allegiances?

I would theorize that he may magically return post occupation to do the same exact job he was doing in the same base just with a different set of chevrons and a shiny new flag.

I’d speculate what Sekenr says, that they’ve all been scattered evenly over Russian bases, and will remain there on backbench, doing poo poo like running fire drills for cadets and whatnot. Never anything where they could inflict serious damage upon Russia, or defect back home. Wouldn’t be surprised if all their movements are under surveillance.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 30, 2022

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’d speculate what Sekenr says, that they’ve all been scattered evenly over Russian bases, and will remain there on backbench, doing poo poo like running fire drills for cadets and whatnot. Never anything where they could inflict serious damage upon Russia, or defect back home. Wouldn’t be surprised if all their movements are under surveillance.

Love the treason, hate the traitor.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Russians can laud their own aggression all they want, but they shall never tussle with the Irish :yarr:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah that's dark poo poo. Like poster above love the treason hate the traitor.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
https://mobile.twitter.com/markmackinnon/status/1487806792474181636

Western SOF/trainers starting to pull out.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

After unironic 20 years of debates, Latvia is finally launching a national bottle recycling system next week.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

US Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs @UnderSecStateP tells @margbrennan that Russia "is moving up to 30,000" troops to Belarus- via @nickschifrin

cinci zoo sniper posted:

After unironic 20 years of debates, Latvia is finally launching a national bottle recycling system next week.
Please give me more context to this poo poo lol

""
UK says it will offer large new military deployment to Europe this week, PM Boris Johnson to speak with Putin this week as well
""

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 31, 2022

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Only like 17 years after Estonia.
Congrats regardless!!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Plastic or glass?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

mobby_6kl posted:

Plastic or glass?

Reported for asking an extremely controversial question

Captain Melo
Mar 28, 2014
Is there a good primer for someone who is completely ignorant of EE and just wants to understand what is happening? All I've seen lately is headlines but I'm woefully underinformed and I probably shouldn't be.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Captain Melo posted:

Is there a good primer for someone who is completely ignorant of EE and just wants to understand what is happening? All I've seen lately is headlines but I'm woefully underinformed and I probably shouldn't be.

Thankfully there's a fairly comprehensive and unbiased source on the subject: here you go.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 31, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Captain Melo posted:

EE is a big place, what do you want any to know about?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Is there a point at which we should spin off the current UA-RU events into its own thread?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Captain Melo posted:

There's a castles and princesses and cheese europe that has things like the beatles and mimes.
East of that is another one. It has some of those things but also a lot more of the color gray and a lot less vowels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Is there a point at which we should spin off the current UA-RU events into its own thread?
Usually there's virtually no activity on this thread but ever since UA-RU heated up in Nov/Dec poo poo's been active. You can make one if you want but it'll mean the EE thread becomes inactive again.