Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Palestinians ousted from their homes in the 1960s still have their land deeds showing they owned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

https://twitter.com/natethenate/status/1487512103925678080

Hard to argue with this.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

He makes a sound argument.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

smackfu posted:

It’s pretty amusing. Since it costs money to cancel a sales offer, the only people who cancel them really need to cancel them. So if you just front-run every cancellation and execute it first, you likely will have a net gain or at least cause a lot of havoc.

This will turn out great when someone counter front runs this by cancelling a mistake sale for 100x its “actual” price. And then, once some idiot bought the first one for 100x, all the rest of your internet clip art is totally worth this huge amount. Now you don’t have to wash trade. Just get the hackers to do it for you.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

BoldFace posted:

https://twitter.com/QubitFin/status/1487839018746519552

Who are they supposed to report to the police? The exploiter or the Qubit team?

Connect your wallet so you can get double scammed after the recovery website gets hacked. Scams all the way down.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It's an SS Death's Head and I'm comfortable enough in knowing such that I didn't read your post. If you happen to agree, coo.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Futanari Damacy posted:

Prove to whom? If the "civil service" is destroyed, what incentive would the new replacing order have to recognize any title issued under the previous rule? Lol your poo poo belongs to them now. Imagine thinking you could ever go back to your homeland after it's been invaded/destroyed, and that a receipt on the blockchain could act as the enforcement mechanism. Also what if someone else steals that too? Lmao

The real answer is: Whatever you need to hear, that you will also accept as real, in order for you to put money into the system so that someone else isn't the bag holder.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

yo, ghost titty, i forgot to quote this and say i got no fuckin clue what this means but you can suck my rear end ty

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
brb, going to make BagCoin and sell NFTs of pictures of people holding different kinds of bags

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Now I'm genuinely curious: can you, even hypothetically in Disney Corporate Hellworld™, copyright in real life actual human beings?

I feel like technically there was already a precedent for this with (trying to) copyright(ing) certain genes, maybe, but I would not at all be surprised if this ends up being Another Thing in 2 years, especially with a good old fashioned "but with bitcoin A BLOCKCHAIN" wedged in to secure that sweet VC funding.

Also I don't think the kid whose birth certificate is on the blockchain counts here

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

You know you can look at your previous charts, and see they are all wrong, right?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

bagmonkey posted:

yo, ghost titty, i forgot to quote this and say i got no fuckin clue what this means but you can suck my rear end ty

I believe they suffered a sudden seizure, causing their hand to slip and create a wild upwards line at the end there, before mashing at their keyboard and hitting the keys IYKYK before slipping into unconsciousness.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

bagmonkey posted:

have you considered: number go up?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

EorayMel posted:

Now I'm genuinely curious: can you, even hypothetically in Disney Corporate Hellworld™, copyright in real life actual human beings?

I feel like technically there was already a precedent for this with (trying to) copyright(ing) certain genes, maybe, but I would not at all be surprised if this ends up being Another Thing in 2 years, especially with a good old fashioned "but with bitcoin A BLOCKCHAIN" wedged in to secure that sweet VC funding.

Also I don't think the kid whose birth certificate is on the blockchain counts here

This is somewhat tangential, but it reminded me that John Fogerty had to go to court because a record label accused him of sounding too much like himself.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/john-fogerty-self-plagiarism-lawsuit-creedence-clearwater-revival-752805/

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Futanari Damacy posted:

Prove to whom? If the "civil service" is destroyed, what incentive would the new replacing order have to recognize any title issued under the previous rule? Lol your poo poo belongs to them now. Imagine thinking you could ever go back to your homeland after it's been invaded/destroyed, and that a receipt on the blockchain could act as the enforcement mechanism. Also what if someone else steals that too? Lmao

Like all libertarian-adjacent ideologies they probably think that property rights arise naturally and are not a construct of the state they live in.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

There are now so many crypto scams competing for dollars that moments of lucidity occasionally bubble up in places where they congregate.

Take this popular thread on /r/cryptocurrency:

quote:

Anybody feel like celebrities are not paying for the Ape NFTs??

I have seen all over the news of different celebrities paying exorbitant amounts for the Ape NFTs and it just feels super inorganic and forced.

There are many celebrities that have supposedly bought these NFTs and now have changed their profile picture to the Ape they own. Some of the prominent ones include Future, Lil Baby, and Jimmy Fallon all spending 500K+. And while I don’t doubt they couldn’t afford it as they are all obviously multimillionaires. I do not believe they are actually buying them.

My working theory is that they are simply getting them for or even getting paid to market these NFT’s and it’s just the NFT owners wash trading between their own ETH wallets to create Artificial demand and contribute to the price inflation.

The most recent one I saw was Justin Bieber buying an Ape NFT for around 500 ETH (over 1 million USD). When the base price of the NFT was 250K.

I refuse to believe celebrities at their own willingness are overpaying for these. Once again I understand that a celebrity like Justin Bieber could in theory afford to throw a million at something like this. But just doesn’t seem like something he would rationally do without ulterior motives.

Welcoming any thoughts people have on this? Just want to disclaim I am not against NFT’s and believe the tech and potential of it is amazing, but the current use case is absurd and indicative of a artificially inflated bubble(this is coming from someone that made a few ETH flipping NFTs)

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/sgbh3x/anybody_feel_like_celebrities_are_not_paying_for/

Almost there everyone... almost...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
lmao goddamn the future just keeps on being as specifically weird as possible:

quote:

The face of the BAYC-Is-Nazi-Propaganda movement is artist Ryder Ripps, best known these days for the NFT he put out with his rapper ex Azealia Banks last year, I hosed Ryder Ripps, featuring audio of the two in the sack. And, more recently, for selling NFTs incorporating the sex pictures from Hunter Biden’s stolen laptop.

i feel like that should have made news more than it did bc fuckin lmao

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Behold /r/cryptocurrency carefully examining NFTs:

like... should we tell them?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

coelomate posted:

Behold /r/cryptocurrency carefully examining NFTs:

like... should we tell them?

Lol the 1% of nfts - defined by being the ones in this guy's wallet.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Help, police, someone bought my rare monkey picture that I listed for sale.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

I'm the Krypto_King and I hereby declare that NFT's are legiterally epic, FTMFW.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

nomad2020 posted:

Help, police, someone bought my rare monkey picture that I listed for sale.
Qubit wasn't NFTs. I don't know if they're the company that publicly announced an exploit that could be used to steal funds before they patched it and then got hacked hours later using the exploit they disclosed, losing $80m-$100m worth of crypto.

Qubit had some really dumb code out there and someone took $80m worth of binance tokens while qubit pleaded to them on twitter mid-hack. The exploit is still not patched. Of course.

Hard to keep track given this type of stuff happens multiple times per month in the crypto ecosystem.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 31, 2022

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Did NFTs/smart contracts launch immediately with lovely monkey pics, or did they start by attempting to tie them to real/real-ish assets? (contracts to provide goods & services, physical property ownership, investments in companies that provide physical goods, etc.)

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

HolHorsejob posted:

Did NFTs/smart contracts launch immediately with lovely monkey pics, or did they start by attempting to tie them to real/real-ish assets? (contracts to provide goods & services, physical property ownership, investments in companies that provide physical goods, etc.)

It started years ago with Ethereum and its "smart contracts." Those smart contracts could be made into "fungible tokens" that became easily produced shitcoins (ICOs etc.), "non-fungible tokens" that became all kinds of poo poo but maybe most famously cryptokitties (which lol no one talks about anymore, but I think is what launched open sea years ago), and dap/dao BS generally (that started in the Hindenburg style disaster of The Dao).

Apes are just the current iteration, driven by board markets and easy money during the pandemic, plus I assume some talented and well connected celebrity influencer types.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

I have to respectfully disagree with the take here, clearly it’s a WSYUGI paradox with a firm reverse corpse bounce (liquidity trap) — once we hit the high bid return dog ear on the margin line, 100k is right around the corner.

And how can you miss that you’ve only got a fraction of the candles that you need? You’re headed for a low candle bounce with a shaky upside if you believe what that chart is telling you, friend.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
if the Monkey pics are really just links to monkey pics, can't you sell the a link that redirects to the monkey pic, essentially selling the same monkey hundreds of times with redirect links?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Trollologist posted:

if the Monkey pics are really just links to monkey pics, can't you sell the a link that redirects to the monkey pic, essentially selling the same monkey hundreds of times with redirect links?

Correct.

What you by when you buy an NFT is effectively just a position number on a chain. The associated art has absolutely nothing to do with it other than acting as a visual representation for your number on the chain.

Unironically one of the better explanations of NFTs was you paying to stand in a line in front of a specific poster. The line doesn't go anywhere, you don't own the poster, and nothing stops somebody else from opening up an identical line and poster but your spot is paid for in that line and only you can have it.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Trollologist posted:

You don't even need a link that redirects, you can just use the exact same link. There's no check for uniqueness

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Protocol7 posted:

have you considered: number go up?

I... I never considered this

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Since NFTs just point to fungible JPEGs, what is the difference between a "real" Bored Ape and another NFT pointing to the same picture, or to the same picture hosted elsewhere?

Amusingly NFTs only really start to achieve the purpose of digital ownership + artificial scarcity when a centralized authority (OpenSea) steps in and says: These are the AUTHENTIC Bored Ape Yacht Club NFTs. Those other ones are not. Integrate with our API for display of NFT ownership from the BLUE CHECKMARK VERIFIED collection.

This is so fractally stupid my head will never stop hurting.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

coelomate posted:

Since NFTs just point to fungible JPEGs, what is the difference between a "real" Bored Ape and another NFT pointing to the same picture, or to the same picture hosted elsewhere?

Amusingly NFTs only really start to achieve the purpose of digital ownership + artificial scarcity when a centralized authority (OpenSea) steps in and says: These are the AUTHENTIC Bored Ape Yacht Club NFTs. Those other ones are not. Integrate with our API for display of NFT ownership from the BLUE CHECKMARK VERIFIED collection.

This is so fractally stupid my head will never stop hurting.

Absolutely not a loving thing except the name hence why they need a central authority to manage it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

jokes posted:

You can trademark a color in real life. An NFT isn’t a trademark, or real, or anything, of course
Yes and no. You can't directly trademark a color, but your trademark can include the use of specific colors in specific ways.

UPS' trademark for instance includes the brown color on their vehicles and uniforms, but that doesn't mean they can go around suing anyone who uses brown in their logos. It merely prevents another courier company from using a similar brown in a similar fashion with the intent of misleading customers.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Aren't pigments intellectual property? Like there was a new blue and a new pink recently.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Aren't pigments intellectual property? Like there was a new blue and a new pink recently.

Pigments, like paint, I'm sure can be patented or otherwise deemed intellectual property. In that case it is a formula patented, though, not the color the formula results in. At least that's my assumption.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Pigments are chemicals and chemical processes can be patented. We have a pretty broad array of ways to make substances that are not protected intellectual property that can color most things a lot of colors but there's still some occasional novel stuff that the patent gatekeeps, the famous example being vantablack.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

This is theft

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Right, you can make proprietary a particular formulation but the color itself can't be made so proprietary that only you can use it. Tiffany's can prevent Zales from using the trademark blue on their jewelry gift boxes, but nothing prevents Home Depot from selling buckets of paint in the same shade. They likely can't call it Tiffany Blue, but ask an associate to color match your gift box, no biggie.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

coelomate posted:

It started years ago with Ethereum and its "smart contracts." Those smart contracts could be made into "fungible tokens" that became easily produced shitcoins (ICOs etc.), "non-fungible tokens" that became all kinds of poo poo but maybe most famously cryptokitties (which lol no one talks about anymore, but I think is what launched open sea years ago), and dap/dao BS generally (that started in the Hindenburg style disaster of The Dao).

Apes are just the current iteration, driven by board markets and easy money during the pandemic, plus I assume some talented and well connected celebrity influencer types.

i did not know until the dan olson video that the reason that ethereum and ethereum classic split was to reverse the dao "hack" (read: exploit of a known, documented security flaw that they never bothered to fix before going live)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

If you ever have to ask "wait, it can't be that stupid, can it?" the answer is never "no," it is always either "yes" or "it's actually even dumber."