Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Bust Rodd posted:

one of the funniest things about the West Elm Caleb saga was that the women trying to hold him up as some example of disrespectful dating are PROFESSIONAL RELATIONSHIP TIKTOKERS, literally women whose job it is to go on as many dates as possible with as many men as possible in order to make content for the phoney baloney social media influencer job. For them to act like he was the one being weird and disrespectful while they live stream themselves calling a guy a loser while he pays for their drinks and has sex with them, it’s like mind-crackingly insane.

As a former Tumblr tween and professional transsexual, all of these internet meltdowns are fueled by industrial strength projection (you did the thing I do but it's bad) and cognitive dissonance between the rhetoric and actual lived experience (I'm doing it in a woke way, the target is doing it wrong. *sips mimosa*) Combine that with the so-called wisdom of crowds and natural human tendency to be terrible on the internet, and it gets you every stupid twitter drama. And God help you if you try to work at a nonprofit that embraces this poo poo IRL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

And God help you if you try to work at a nonprofit that embraces this poo poo IRL.

we here at the problematic Brooklyn dater tiktok collective are proud to receive another Innovator grant from the Koch foundation

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

A Bag of Milk posted:

we're still talking about em a week later, complete with brand name, so it clearly worked

how many people will reach for the hellmans next time at the grocery store because it's still lodged in their subconscious right next to the west elm caleb memory? its next level marketing

it’s true. I went into the store for some groceries and ended up buying out the entire shelf of hellmans brand mayonnaise, America's #1 Mayonnaise made with real, simple ingredients. not content to stop there I went from store to store selling off everything I own to purchase more genuine hellmans brand mayonnaise.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I've been buying kewpie from the Asian store and it seems like perfectly fine mayo, also comes in a fun squeeze bottle

Wade
May 11, 2009

I'm hip
the only caleb i care about is the one that covered a weezer song

Cannibal Llama
Jan 3, 2020

Cannibal Llama sounds like it could be a zany intentional throwback to mid OOs Penguin of Doom tier usernames but it also sounds like it could be the name of the lamest possible Metal Gear Solid boss so please don't make fun of it.
The only Caleb I care about throws dynamite at one eyed tommy gun wielding cultists, stabs zombies with a pitchfork to conserve ammo, and shamelessly steals Bruce Campbell one liners.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Mr Hootington posted:

People should be buying Hellmans because it is the best mayo on the market. Plus their gin is cheap.

this is Duke’s erasure and I for one will not stand for it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cannibal Llama posted:

The only Caleb I care about throws dynamite at one eyed tommy gun wielding cultists, stabs zombies with a pitchfork to conserve ammo, and shamelessly steals Bruce Campbell one liners.

That reminds me I bought blood fresh supply on steam a while back and I should play it

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Cannibal Llama posted:

My favorite Caleb taught me how to steal candy

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/BabadookNukem/status/1487958177454989318?s=20&t=TrEEVsuk7hkMZ3Bg_xKuig

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/YourGoodFriendR/status/1487305437258997760?s=20&t=2_VBkzn0pU1pNaRJvd4ETw

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Here's a hot take. It didn't matter if Bernie went on Rogan one way or another. The voters who decide the democratic primary aren't listening to Rogan.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Dreylad posted:

so that really is all it is? because i unfortunately learned a bit about this and it does seem that a bunch of women engaged in serial dating got mad that a guy was also serially dating. very confusing

forever grateful i never had to do online dating
my understanding was that it's very normal for people under 30, depending on how attractive they are, to be dating several people at the same time, until they have conversations of exclusivity. sounds hellish tbh

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/PillsAreFood/status/1487843168921919492?t=geh7NNgfmS8Knt1xom9dPQ&s=19

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

this isn't real but it's also totally real

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-Kf_c-WxQE

I think Teen Jacobin has an article on the Bionicle Dream phenomenon but I can't find it right now

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

West Elm Caleb was obviously a viral marketing campaign by west elm to make people think their furniture is designed by hot 6’4” NYC men who gently caress a lot.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Having read the posts I would like to offer congratulations to Caleb for having sex with a bunch of the absolute most annoying bitches in the world

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
new trueanon was real good, and also a whole episode about west elm caleb internet sphere: i.e. all the deranged middle-class white over-educated 'trauma' speak and tumblr culture

also liz called out "web forums like something awful" lol. incredible

Xaris has issued a correction as of 08:31 on Jan 31, 2022

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Pablo Nergigante posted:

That reminds me I bought blood fresh supply on steam a while back and I should play it

played this multiplayer with my homie. its cool & also pretty funny

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Xaris posted:

new trueanon was real good, and also a whole episode about west elm caleb internet sphere: i.e. all the deranged middle-class white over-educated 'trauma' speak and tumblr culture

also liz called out "web forums like something awful" lol. incredible

she can fix me

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
When kind of like describing umm the evolution of social media, and these different platforms, a lot of times, people like mention tumblr, people point to tumblr as like a very early canary in the coal mine in like the horrors to come, possibly. People also talk about, and we have on this show, RPG games. I confess, I don't know that much about. Cause. Final Fantasy liz.

Is that RPG? See, no idea. But, my understanding is that a lot of kind of that a lot of kinda early internet, well not early internet, just like current iterations of like you know, social media, whether it's twitter or message boards like Something Awful, or all these other kind of things, are indebted or owe their social infrastructure that like RPG games were set up. And that people kind of, those early interactions informed a lot of the architecture of platforms. Does that sound accurate?

I think it's the same, yes, and i would agree, like, or like I would say too, those like early usenet boards that were often focused around a certain topic. Which to me is somewhat similar. I would agree that a lot of people's first social interactions especially came from RPG. The first time I used the internet along side other people was when I was trying to play Everequest when I was a really young kid,. Which was a pretty early internet game. but there was also like, what was it, Ultima Online? I can see Yung Chomsky going to unmute himself right now. There was another one right? I played one called Gemstone which was before Everquest but I was in the beta for everquest also. Cut the mic.

The reason I bring that up is because basically, correct me if i'm wrong, please. I know you'd never miss that opportunity. So... when you go into these games, these RPG games, and you're socializing in there, that the idea in there was that there was a quest, and you were all working together. To kind of like achieve the quest. In your guild, yes. In your guild, ok I like that. It's kinda like a podcast. Or it's like a y'know, different twitters, or different tiktoks, or different instagrams, have their own pose. People talk about left twitter, politics twitter, nba twitter, and all of those spaces have these little worlds that they all socially collectively built. Yes. Now, bear with me. I was reading about these little RPG games, and again, my understanding correct me i'm wrong, is that basically when that there was a quest when everyone was getting involved in and an objective and thing they were focused on, everything was very socially harmonious. But when there wasn't was when the poo poo talking and craziness and yknow total like yknow chaos reigned. And.. it's interesting because it feels like now, you have these social media websites that are not dissimilar in spaces, places, where people come and meet and talk a bunch of poo poo in their own parlance and have created their own little worlds that have little sets of characters and different heirachies that everyone is trying to gamify and one up, increase, level up in their own way. Is that without any kind of focus point, that one needs to be creative, right. And everyday, in these worlds, a new focus point needs to be created. And that is usually a person.

Yeah. This is what people call 'main character of the day' or whatever. And it's so fascinating because this idea that every day there has to be this kind of character that you reach for, the reason for that isnt for social cohesion or harmony. But because people require this kind of umm, faux-, or this goal, or this antagonist, in order to be able to define themselves in this world as their own protagonist. They need something to define against. And so, every day, like, that function demands that that antagonism be created. And this is what we're seeing, that's what this right, right?

Yeah, I mean that sort of one one of those reasons that I stopped using most social media. I would see whoeever the bad guy was, and I get all arrrrrrggh im so mad about this i cant believe this guy said this thing, and I would be like just mad. And, yknow, ugmmm suck my dick fuckknuckle. I never said that. I would never say fuckknucle. First of all, you would say it but not tweet it. Well me and Yung Chomsky do the trueanon twitter, before the podcast started, so someone could find it and go like why did trueanon only milf tweet from 2013. And I would get so steamed up and so mad and be like oyy i hate you you little creatin. And I'm like drat, why am I using a website that only exists to make me mad, thats it? Thats insane, thats insane I would do that. I mean, that way that I was using it. Which is the way that a lot of people are using it. It's normal. But um, it loving yeah you need this person to hate to sort of solidify these sort of social bonds right. And the thing is, you know, thats like not a moral failing, it's like the way that it's set up. essentially the way that it's designed.

What I think about a lot is that the fact is that im sure a lot of people, especially people that have been around political spaces, have met someone like this, to an extreme degree, though there's a lot of people like this to a more minor degree, the way that you act to people online and stuff will naturally sort of spill out in your regular life, right? I mean obviously you're not going to go up to some guy you don't like on the street and go like oyyyrrr you binch whatever. And they'd be like 'why did you say the lame way of saying bitch to me?'.

But um, but it does. Christ knows, I met a lot of miserable people. And I think a lot of those people's misery extends essentially from online. Because like they're sort of subjecting themselves to these constant like software updates about what to get really mad about and hate next. And it's like yeah, that poo poo sucks, a lot of poo poo is pretty stupid. But like, you know it's this social incentive and sometimes market incentives of these websites that really make people act in this see. Like the West Elm Caleb poo poo. It's like the women Kate has 30 affiliate links in their profile. That's insane, that's a lot. Ladies, anybody, if you go on a date, and you're like, you have an instagram let me see your instagram/ And their instagram is like 'use my name as an affiliate link at moonjuice' you should detonate the vest -- right there and then. Take out all of Cafe 101 or whatever. Just blow it to smithereens. People get nutty with this

This isn't just social media though, this is what i keep going back to. You say this bleeds into real life, and I would say that real life bleeds into social media. I think these platforms yes incentive and heighten and I think fine-tune and train this behavior. So it does a lot of things. absolutely. But those um I think that those kind of general paranoia that we talked about at the beginning and that kind of snitch society, is like, a both outside and inside of social media I guess. And there's a kind of underyling cruelty. I don't know if I agree with, i'm not here to bash anybody, i'm not saying it's a moral failing, but I do think it's like some kind of personal responsibility comes into it here. ANd it is a question of like, underyling all of these, I think, all this sort of like latent cruelty is always present in capitalism, in the kind of we've talked about when we talked about social sadism essay by China Mievelle, or yknow, Bautti, he calls it the kind of excess sadistic side of capitalism in it's sort of super profit creates this super excessive of sadism and exploition.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 08:54 on Jan 31, 2022

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

shut up

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Xaris posted:

When kind of like describing umm the evolution of social media, and these different platforms, a lot of times, people like mention tumblr, people point to tumblr as like a very early canary in the coal mine in like the horrors to come, possibly. People also talk about, and we have on this show, RPG games. I confess, I don't know that much about. Cause. Final Fantasy liz.

Is that RPG? See, no idea. But, my understanding is that a lot of kind of that a lot of kinda early internet, well not early internet, just like current iterations of like you know, social media, whether it's twitter or message boards like Something Awful, or all these other kind of things, are indebted or owe their social infrastructure that like RPG games were set up. And that people kind of, those early interactions informed a lot of the architecture of platforms. Does that sound accurate?

I think it's the same, yes, and i would agree, like, or like I would say too, those like early usenet boards that were often focused around a certain topic. Which to me is somewhat similar. I would agree that a lot of people's first social interactions especially came from RPG. The first time I used the internet along side other people was when I was trying to play Everequest when I was a really young kid,. Which was a pretty early internet game. but there was also like, what was it, Ultima Online? I can see Yung Chomsky going to unmute himself right now. There was another one right? I played one called Gemstone which was before Everquest but I was in the beta for everquest also. Cut the mic.

The reason I bring that up is because basically, correct me if i'm wrong, please. I know you'd never miss that opportunity. So... when you go into these games, these RPG games, and you're socializing in there, that the idea in there was that there was a quest, and you were all working together. To kind of like achieve the quest. In your guild, yes. In your guild, ok I like that. It's kinda like a podcast. Or it's like a y'know, different twitters, or different tiktoks, or different instagrams, have their own pose. People talk about left twitter, politics twitter, nba twitter, and all of those spaces have these little worlds that they all socially collectively built. Yes. Now, bear with me. I was reading about these little RPG games, and again, my understanding correct me i'm wrong, is that basically when that there was a quest when everyone was getting involved in and an objective and thing they were focused on, everything was very socially harmonious. But when there wasn't was when the poo poo talking and craziness and yknow total like yknow chaos reigned. And.. it's interesting because it feels like now, you have these social media websites that are not dissimilar in spaces, places, where people come and meet and talk a bunch of poo poo in their own parlance and have created their own little worlds that have little sets of characters and different heirachies that everyone is trying to gamify and one up, increase, level up in their own way. Is that without any kind of focus point, that one needs to be creative, right. And everyday, in these worlds, a new focus point needs to be created. And that is usually a person.

Yeah. This is what people call 'main character of the day' or whatever. And it's so fascinating because this idea that every day there has to be this kind of character that you reach for, the reason for that isnt for social cohesion or harmony. But because people require this kind of umm, faux-, or this goal, or this antagonist, in order to be able to define themselves in this world as their own protagonist. They need something to define against. And so, every day, like, that function demands that that antagonism be created. And this is what we're seeing, that's what this right, right?

Yeah, I mean that sort of one one of those reasons that I stopped using most social media. I would see whoeever the bad guy was, and I get all arrrrrrggh im so mad about this i cant believe this guy said this thing, and I would be like just mad. And, yknow, ugmmm suck my dick fuckknuckle. I never said that. I would never say fuckknucle. First of all, you would say it but not tweet it. Well me and Yung Chomsky do the trueanon twitter, before the podcast started, so someone could find it and go like why did trueanon only milf tweet from 2013. And I would get so steamed up and so mad and be like oyy i hate you you little creatin. And I'm like drat, why am I using a website that only exists to make me mad, thats it? Thats insane, thats insane I would do that. I mean, that way that I was using it. Which is the way that a lot of people are using it. It's normal. But um, it loving yeah you need this person to hate to sort of solidify these sort of social bonds right. And the thing is, you know, thats like not a moral failing, it's like the way that it's set up. essentially the way that it's designed.

What I think about a lot is that the fact is that im sure a lot of people, especially people that have been around political spaces, have met someone like this, to an extreme degree, though there's a lot of people like this to a more minor degree, the way that you act to people online and stuff will naturally sort of spill out in your regular life, right? I mean obviously you're not going to go up to some guy you don't like on the street and go like oyyyrrr you binch whatever. And they'd be like 'why did you say the lame way of saying bitch to me?'.

But um, but it does. Christ knows, I met a lot of miserable people. And I think a lot of those people's misery extends essentially from online. Because like they're sort of subjecting themselves to these constant like software updates about what to get really mad about and hate next. And it's like yeah, that poo poo sucks, a lot of poo poo is pretty stupid. But like, you know it's this social incentive and sometimes market incentives of these websites that really make people act in this see. Like the West Elm Caleb poo poo. It's like the women Kate has 30 affiliate links in their profile. That's insane, that's a lot. Ladies, anybody, if you go on a date, and you're like, you have an instagram let me see your instagram/ And their instagram is like 'use my name as an affiliate link at moonjuice' you should detonate the vest -- right there and then. Take out all of Cafe 101 or whatever. Just blow it to smithereens. People get nutty with this

This isn't just social media though, this is what i keep going back to. You say this bleeds into real life, and I would say that real life bleeds into social media. I think these platforms yes incentive and heighten and I think fine-tune and train this behavior. So it does a lot of things. absolutely. But those um I think that those kind of general paranoia that we talked about at the beginning and that kind of snitch society, is like, a both outside and inside of social media I guess. And there's a kind of underyling cruelty. I don't know if I agree with, i'm not here to bash anybody, i'm not saying it's a moral failing, but I do think it's like some kind of personal responsibility comes into it here. ANd it is a question of like, underyling all of these, I think, all this sort of like latent cruelty is always present in capitalism, in the kind of we've talked about when we talked about social sadism essay by China Mievelle, or yknow, Bautti, he calls it the kind of excess sadistic side of capitalism in it's sort of super profit creates this super excessive of sadism and exploition.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
liz stays winning

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Shipon posted:

liz stays winning
liz ftw

im actually not sure i buy the rpg game tie-in to internet culture but sure i get what liz was going after. mmo was probably more accurate since it was a form of social space, kinda proto-social media, with some gaming elements assigned to it.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

If trueanon had made that ep in 2019 people would have lost their poo poo and some twitter weirdo would have written a 5000 word think piece with pull quotes about the red brown alliance.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

this was fun to read and do the voices in my head on the fly

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

liz ftw

im actually not sure i buy the rpg game tie-in to internet culture but sure i get what liz was going after. mmo was probably more accurate since it was a form of social space, kinda proto-social media, with some gaming elements assigned to it.

yeah they mean MMOs. it's ironic because my first foray into internet message boards was a fandom board to talk about ff7

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

TheSlutPit posted:

If trueanon had made that ep in 2019 people would have lost their poo poo and some twitter weirdo would have written a 5000 word think piece with pull quotes about the red brown alliance.

don't count this out yet

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
"RPG games" god dammit

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

drat kids and their Nintendo RPG games

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
was going to mention an old rear end game where you grinded "job" and "relationships" and there's like a whole genre on playstore about it

https://habitica.com/static/home

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

the milk machine posted:

this is Duke’s erasure and I for one will not stand for it

I live in South Carolina, if you talk about any mayo besides Duke’s then you’re a drat yankee. Helman’s is like tapioca poop!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

just make your own mayo, it takes one egg yolk, some oil, and five minutes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Doc Hawkins posted:

just make your own mayo, it takes one egg yolk, some oil, and five minutes.

I'm not made of five minutes

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i stg this mfer said he wanted to "underline" or "underscore" something like 5x per hinge points episode

https://twitter.com/dbessner/status/1488208662363475969

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i stg this mfer said he wanted to "underline" or "underscore" something like 5x per hinge points episode

https://twitter.com/dbessner/status/1488208662363475969

what weird choices

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Heh, RPGs? :smug: You mean MMORPGs? :smuggo: You dinguses? You utter loving morons?? :smugissar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

brace should have spoken about MUDs