Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
There is a super cool knowledge fight thread here!! happy to have more worshippers at the alter of Celine:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3990450&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

ILL Machina posted:

From my naive perspective that was pretty obvious from the way everyone was generally ignoring the form objections except when brad contested in the moment.
For sure, just clarifying the actual meaning since they kinda made fun of it in the title of the episode.

ILL Machina posted:

And then after a milquetoast attempt to justify himself on the part of the defense, he says "um...Sorry...we're trying our best...please answer the question to the best of your ability."
Even said "we're/she's trying to give you the answers you want" lmao

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

FFT posted:

For sure, just clarifying the actual meaning since they kinda made fun of it in the title of the episode.

If you notice it's "Formulaic Objections 4". The title comes from the first depositions edition they did (the one including Jones' infamous "I have a psychosis" line - something they rightfully berate the mainstream press for taking out of context), where they did actually explain what the "objection to form" thing means, specifically because Robert Barnes actually did continually try Phoenix Wright-style "OBJECTION!" type objections to, despite not actually being his attorney for the deposition and just being along for the ride, so he settles in to just grumpily saying "objection to form" every time a question's asked. It's well worth a listen, as are the other two (I can't remember which one has the Roger Stone deposition on an unrelated case but it's *amazing*, just two grumpy old fucks sniping at each other like teenage girls).

Also it's so funny that Dan says in that first one that he's deliberately not going to learn the name of the attorney for the parents so as to avoid becoming a fanboy, and 2 years later said attorney is flying him out to Texas as a consultant on Jones. For all people object to the style it has to be said Dan almost certainly does know more about Infowars than even people working there.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If you notice it's "Formulaic Objections 4".
I did, and I scrolled down pretty far trying to find #3 unsuccessfully.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

FFT posted:

1, 2 and 3 are episodes 279. 378 and 401 respectively (4 is 641). The sheer amount of content they put out is great value if you're a regular listener but yeah it can be a bit of a pain in the scrolling finger if you're not.

e: Jesus, 1,252 hours - 52 *days* - in total, and they only started in 2017

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jan 28, 2022

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Fair, I didn't scroll more than 200 episodes down? Jesus that's a lot

I do appreciate the format, I started listening to a recent older episode after.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

FFT posted:

It’s an old joke. Just look for the first and second ones.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm going to out myself as a total Jordan-stan here. Whenever a new episode drops I'm really happy because I'm getting to vibe with my best parasocial buddies.

I think I couldn't be listening to Dan dulcetly recounting Alex Jones for very long, with or without quotes. Those soundclips and the beginning and end of the episodes, and some of the interjections by Jordan, are a little bit juvenile. But I wouldn't want it any other way, I think the show needs it.

I can understand how some people would prefer a serious investigative-journalism-type view into Jones' operation and effects. But that'll probably be a one-season production going over the highlights of Jones' career. Dan and Jordan are covering each single episode, week by week, month by month, year after year. This really needs the light-heartedness imo. They earned their Alex Jones grunting sound board.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jan 28, 2022

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Without contrast, it'd be boring.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Thanks to the person who posted the podcast, I hadn’t heard of it but found the episode very interesting. I work adjacent to the legal profession and have been deposed/testified and it was fascinating listening to these ones that just went completely off the rails. I hope they do more of these, and I’m definitely going to go back and listen to the others of the same type that were posted here.

I don’t think I’ll listen to it regularly as I also find Jordan to be incredibly annoying, but the other guy definitely needs someone to play off, it wouldn’t work if it was just him. But it’d be better if it were someone who could add some substance instead of just the occasional “listen to this stupid motherfucker ha ha!” I also found it a little annoying how the main guy switched back and forth between naturalistic conversation and scripted content. The guy is clearly smart enough, he should keep some notes rather than write out word for word what he wants to say, although regardless the content was still very good, just a minor stylistic complaint.

In related news, Alex jones pled the fifth almost a hundred times in his testimony in front of the Jan 6 panel????

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/25/politics/alex-jones-january-6-plead-fifth/index.html

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1487055121137774597?t=KSvnwXxOs1uL9St5jQCCFw&s=19

Pittsburgh native here, don't worry, my chud colleagues are already on the case.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

ShadowHawk posted:

I'm not listening to a four hour podcast could someone please summarize why Alex Jones is in particular trouble here?

Attorney: "you deal in hyperbole, Mr. Jones?"
Jones: "it's a.m. radio, of course"
Attorney: "do you lie on air?"
Jones: "I don't lie to anyone"

Clip plays of Alex threatening to stomp Wolf Blitzer to death. "I've squeezed the guts out of people before, Wolf. It's a bad way to die."

Attorney: "how many people have you killed, Mr. Jones?"
Jones:"... ... ... none"

It's self own after self own
It's beautiful

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

cr0y posted:

Pittsburgh native here, don't worry, my chud colleagues are already on the case.

For every politically significant event there's a chud rumor that would be so unbelievable as to be dismissed offhand if it weren't for the deliberate propagation of the conspiracy theorist mindset. To summarize an instance I had to personally endure - "Pulling out of Afghanistan? Joe Biden was told to do that by China over the phone the week before it happened, according to "a friend". No it doesn't sound made up, why would someone lie about that? I think it's very interesting, I think they're on to something!"

But suppose they're right about the bridge, or any other one of these things? After all conspiracies are real in that there are people in positions of power who secretly collaborate, plot and execute acts of violence, deception and theft. This is demonstrably true in history and can be assumed to be true today. Except the real ones that get uncovered tend to be a plot that makes obvious sense and have conspirators whose connections to each other and motivations for colluding makes obvious sense. They also tend to be limited in scope to the natural ambitions of the conspirators rather than part of an overarching grand scheme that wrestles for control of the flow of life on this planet. Unfortunately people don't want to learn from history so much as rewrite it to suit what they want to believe about today. It doesn't actually matter to the conspiracy nuts whether or not Biden blew up a bridge, what matters is reinforcing the view that he's the sort of person who could do that, who would do that.

But I guess this is what happens when the US uses any and all methods of coercion to drive people towards away from collectivism for over a century. In some ways the destabilization of American democracy is something like the seeds the US has sown across the world coming to bear fruit in its own backyard.

The Sausages fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 28, 2022

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Yeah, you don't need to invoke conspiracy theories for bridges collapsing in Pittsburgh. This is a place where, when a bridge started dropping chunks of concrete onto the highway below, they wrapped it in a net. Then when the net didn't work, they built a platform over the highway to catch the falling chunks. (They are now replacing the rotting bridge like 30 years later.)

Also, I used to work at Kennywood and drove across the Rankin Bridge every day, where you could look through the gaping holes in the road and see the Monongahela River far below.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FFT posted:

Fair, I didn't scroll more than 200 episodes down? Jesus that's a lot

I do appreciate the format, I started listening to a recent older episode after.

Dan basically spent the better parts of 3 or 4 years cranking out 3 episodes a week on Alex Jones where a short episode is like 1 2/2 to 2 hours is the backlog is kind of crazy yeah.

Including the episodes where he did point by point rebuttals of Alex's movies.

Although it's interesting to watch as he slowly breaks as it goes by, because he cant listen to modern Alex anymore, so he eventually starts a project of finding where Alex became such an ardent Trump supporter from when he announced his candidacy (its because he and his circle would actually go on Infowars) which gets kind of hosed up because Trump announced his candidacy the day Dylann Roof shot up a church.

Then he just starts listening to old Alex because even that pissed him off and eventually tries to find non-Alex grifters to talk about with Wacky Wednesday which introduces Project Camelot which is an entire can of worms in itself.

The Project Camelot stuff is definitely a bit more recommended in case you're more interested into the aliens type stuff and/or the continuing saga of Captain Mark Richards.

mostly the Project Camelot stuff is gone these days because the host who was already kind of on the edge of holocaust denial fell straight down the Q rabbithole and moved her shows to a premium subscription service and Dan didn't want to pay her money to keep those episodes going.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

Dan basically spent the better parts of 3 or 4 years cranking out 3 episodes a week on Alex Jones where a short episode is like 1 2/2 to 2 hours is the backlog is kind of crazy yeah.

Including the episodes where he did point by point rebuttals of Alex's movies.

Although it's interesting to watch as he slowly breaks as it goes by, because he cant listen to modern Alex anymore, so he eventually starts a project of finding where Alex became such an ardent Trump supporter from when he announced his candidacy (its because he and his circle would actually go on Infowars) which gets kind of hosed up because Trump announced his candidacy the day Dylann Roof shot up a church.

Then he just starts listening to old Alex because even that pissed him off and eventually tries to find non-Alex grifters to talk about with Wacky Wednesday which introduces Project Camelot which is an entire can of worms in itself.

The Project Camelot stuff is definitely a bit more recommended in case you're more interested into the aliens type stuff and/or the continuing saga of Captain Mark Richards.

mostly the Project Camelot stuff is gone these days because the host who was already kind of on the edge of holocaust denial fell straight down the Q rabbithole and moved her shows to a premium subscription service and Dan didn't want to pay her money to keep those episodes going.

Dan and Jordan did a QAA episode about Sweary Kerry and Project Camelot (and the Secret Space Program generally) a couple of weeks ago, closing the circle quite nicely: https://soundcloud.com/qanonanonymous/episode-174-the-secret-space-program-w-knowledge-fight

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

The Sausages posted:

For every politically significant event there's a chud rumor that would be so unbelievable as to be dismissed offhand if it weren't for the deliberate propagation of the conspiracy theorist mindset. To summarize an instance I had to personally endure - "Pulling out of Afghanistan? Joe Biden was told to do that by China over the phone the week before it happened, according to "a friend". No it doesn't sound made up, why would someone lie about that? I think it's very interesting, I think they're on to something!"

The Daria deposition in this KF podcast is kind of a good example of how hard this problem is.

She is being deposed as the corporate rep for Infowars, she is supposed to answer questions like "what infowars policies are in place to ensure that defamatory segments don't get aired." but that question is almost irrelevant because to her it appears that the deposition shows that the as long as someone somewhere asserts something is true then it's good enough to go on the air.

As I am listening to her completely fail to understand that the dead child's open casket funeral is a direct rebuttal of Infowars assertion that the sandy hook children don't exist (it's a dead child that was available for Infowars to examine) but instead that the open casket funeral is a political event to diminish the second amendment it becomes clear to me that this is 98% of all the right wing conservative medias method. They are all doing the "make assertions and deliberately ignore anything that could refute that assertion". As was pointed out at the end of the show the reason why they do this is that there has been no penalty to date severe enough to make them consider not doing it.

Infowars must be bankrupted and the specific individuals at infowars responsible also need to be bankrupted for there to be any lasting change in behavior because no penalty short of that will work to stop this behavior. They lost their trial because they couldn't give a gently caress about it and they farted their way through these depositions because they don't give a gently caress about them and they don't give a gently caress about any of it because so far any penalty they've faced has been irrelevant.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

Lol drat I totally forgot about that coincidence, although it was one day before actually. I lived about two blocks from AME church at the time it happened.

I disregarded Trump's dumb presidential gambit as a joke until he did a rally near there and realizing the implication that SC was one of the most important primaries. I knew that, as the absolutely most vile and worst possible candidate in every conceivable way, South Carolina was gonna loving love him and make him the front runner. Living there at that time was pretty brain-breaking. You'd see people grapple with things like the AME shooting and the repeated instances of cops murdering people and they would just jump from lie to lie to explain how it was not a problem at all, but they would pathologically choose the worst possible option (e.g. "it's actually good they shot that unarmed motorist, he had a misdemeanor on his record, he was just gonna do more crime later if they didnt"). Really primed me to see how things were going to be in the future.

This thread is dedicated to plumbing the depths of American dipshittery but I don't think anyone can really understand how truly hosed up these people are until you've lived among them in a place like that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Murgos posted:

As I am listening to her completely fail to understand that the dead child's open casket funeral is a direct rebuttal of Infowars assertion that the sandy hook children don't exist (it's a dead child that was available for Infowars to examine) but instead that the open casket funeral is a political event to diminish the second amendment it becomes clear to me that this is 98% of all the right wing conservative medias method. They are all doing the "make assertions and deliberately ignore anything that could refute that assertion". As was pointed out at the end of the show the reason why they do this is that there has been no penalty to date severe enough to make them consider not doing it.
Her whole "I choose to believe that it didn't happen because I'm an optimist and if you had a heart then you wouldn't want the dead kids thing to have happened" shtick is identical to some Holocaust deniers like David Irving and their "I'm actually very glad that millions of people weren't killed and I think you're rather sick for wanting that to have happened" bullshit.

Like it's transparently not true, he's a denier because he is an antisemite and a Hitler fanatic, but it's the same grotesque and childish stage show of pretending that actually it's you who is bad for believing reality.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 28, 2022

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Guavanaut posted:

Her whole "I choose to believe that it didn't happen because I'm an optimist and if you had a heart then you wouldn't want the dead kids thing to have happened" shtick is identical to some Holocaust deniers like David Irving and their "I'm actually very glad that millions of people weren't killed and I think you're rather sick for wanting that to have happened" bullshit.

Like it's transparently not true, he's a denier because he is an antisemite and a Hitler fanatic, but it's the same grotesque and childish stage show of pretending that actually it's you who is bad for believing reality.

It's the exact thing I've said about conservatives for most of my life:

They can't be honest about the world we inhabit because to do so means admitting things are hosed up and wrong. If you admit that, you have to focus on solutions. So instead, conservatives pretend there are no problems.

Daria is a great example. Forget that the kids are dead, it's OPTIMISTIC to HOPE they aren't, even though they are, most assuredly, actually deceased. They don't want to live in reality because it's hard and scary. They call us snowflakes but they have to live in denial to exist.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

It's the exact thing I've said about conservatives for most of my life:

They can't be honest about the world we inhabit because to do so means admitting things are hosed up and wrong. If you admit that, you have to focus on solutions. So instead, conservatives pretend there are no problems.

Daria is a great example. Forget that the kids are dead, it's OPTIMISTIC to HOPE they aren't, even though they are, most assuredly, actually deceased. They don't want to live in reality because it's hard and scary. They call us snowflakes but they have to live in denial to exist.
The one problem with this is that they do admit there are problems in the world, but those problems are the result of bad people. If we just got rid of bad people then there would be no problems because good people don't have or cause problems. Only bad people have and/or cause problems.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

eSporks posted:

The one problem with this is that they do admit there are problems in the world, but those problems are the result of bad people. If we just got rid of bad people then there would be no problems because good people don't have or cause problems. Only bad people have and/or cause problems.

Also the "bad" people doing all these things are of course minorities and the political opponents. The whole thing is a big song and dance of justification.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 29, 2022

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Mercury_Storm posted:

Also the "bad" people doing all these things are of course minorities and the political opponents. The whole thing is a big song and dance of justification.
Why did you have to bring race into this? Its always like this with you liberals, everything is always about race. /s

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
listening to 50 days of someone recounting every moment of some hosed up lunatic's life is deranged behavior

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
There's absolutely a market for it, and people have done worse things for a living. Daniel Dale professionally fact checked Donald Trump for five years.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

moonmazed posted:

listening to 50 days of someone recounting every moment of some hosed up lunatic's life is deranged behavior

Or counter point it's cool and funny

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
The problem with giving a poo poo about reality is that anyone these days can just ignore it. At all levels of engagement - from internet comments, to clients of both social media and conventional media, to corporate, government, scientific and military press releases - whether or not they know they are doing so, people can just carry on as if what they want to be true, is true, whether or not they face material consequences for doing so. It's less about lying and more about maintaining a state of mind that is unburdened by facts, where concepts such as consensus or objective reality exist only with regard to elevating one's own beliefs above anything and everything else. This isn't just chuds, anyone can start doing it. But the rise in this type of engagement coincides all too neatly with the re-emergence of fascism across the planet.

Ron Siskind posted:

In the summer of 2002, after I had written an article in Esquire that the White House didn't like about Bush's former communications director, Karen Hughes, I had a meeting with a senior adviser to Bush. He expressed the White House's displeasure, and then he told me something that at the time I didn't fully comprehend -- but which I now believe gets to the very heart of the Bush presidency.

The aide said that guys like me were "in what we call the reality-based community," which he defined as people who "believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality." I nodded and murmured something about enlightenment principles and empiricism. He cut me off. "That's not the way the world really works anymore," he continued. "We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality -- judiciously, as you will -- we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors . . . and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do." - source

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
half correct, like driving off a cliff is fine till the nano seconds during the ground impact.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Dan and Jordan did a QAA episode about Sweary Kerry and Project Camelot (and the Secret Space Program generally) a couple of weeks ago, closing the circle quite nicely: https://soundcloud.com/qanonanonymous/episode-174-the-secret-space-program-w-knowledge-fight

NGL, as an ardent listener of KF I thought this was them at their funniest. Esp Jordan. Dan didn't really wanna be there lol. There's a KF thread now btw.

Knowledge. Fight.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3990450&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jan 29, 2022

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Morrow posted:

There's absolutely a market for it, and people have done worse things for a living. Daniel Dale professionally fact checked Donald Trump for five years.

No thanks, just shoot me instead

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
From pizza parlors now to butterfly sanctuaries

https://www.vice.com/en/article/93bdgv/qanon-sex-trafficking-conspiracies-national-butterfly-center

A QAnon conspiracy theory that a butterfly sanctuary on the southern border of the U.S. is being used for sex trafficking has led to the center closing “due to credible threats” against its staff.

The National Butterfly Center in Mission, Texas, is situated on the Rio Grande river less than half a mile from the U.S.-Mexico border, and has long been the focus of intense and completely baseless conspiracy theories pushed by the QAnon community.

On Thursday, those theories became real-world threats and the center announced it was closing its doors for the weekend because of a MAGA-style conference taking place eight miles away in McAllen, Texas.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

From pizza parlors now to butterfly sanctuaries

https://www.vice.com/en/article/93bdgv/qanon-sex-trafficking-conspiracies-national-butterfly-center

A QAnon conspiracy theory that a butterfly sanctuary on the southern border of the U.S. is being used for sex trafficking has led to the center closing “due to credible threats” against its staff.

The National Butterfly Center in Mission, Texas, is situated on the Rio Grande river less than half a mile from the U.S.-Mexico border, and has long been the focus of intense and completely baseless conspiracy theories pushed by the QAnon community.

On Thursday, those theories became real-world threats and the center announced it was closing its doors for the weekend because of a MAGA-style conference taking place eight miles away in McAllen, Texas.

Lol if it's the place I'm thinking of, the director voted Trump then got the news that the proposed route for The Wall bisected his butterfly sanctuary.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Zeroisanumber posted:

Lol if it's the place I'm thinking of, the director voted Trump then got the news that the proposed route for The Wall bisected his butterfly sanctuary.

That's the same place yeah.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Zeroisanumber posted:

It is. It's in the article.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

what you gotta sanctuary butterflies from anyway? they're loving bugs

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Many native insect larvae only eat a really small number of plants, and many adult butterflies are also similarly specialized. Aside from that, putting a bunch of roads and parking lots or housing developments full of ecologically useless grass and foreign decorative plants right in the middle of a migration path makes a big difficult life cycle even harder. "Butterfly sanctuary" is a catchier name than "big contiguous place full of native plants."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s weird for a conservative to be into conservation. They usually hate weakness and want to destroy it, often as gleefully as possible.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Is that the same butterfly sanctuary that posted a picture of a border patrol agent on their land and said something like "These people are tresspassing on our land and this is Texas they'd better watch out."

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

I AM GRANDO posted:

It’s weird for a conservative to be into conservation. They usually hate weakness and want to destroy it, often as gleefully as possible.

There’s a sub cult of conservatives who are hunters and stuff and are actually into conservation, so they’ll have a place to kill animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

pseudanonymous posted:

There’s a sub cult of conservatives who are hunters and stuff and are actually into conservation, so they’ll have a place to kill animals.

Yeah, they exist and they are pretty passionate about it and will often self police themselves pretty well in regards to poachers and poo poo.