Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Octatonic posted:

Many native insect larvae only eat a really small number of plants, and many adult butterflies are also similarly specialized. Aside from that, putting a bunch of roads and parking lots or housing developments full of ecologically useless grass and foreign decorative plants right in the middle of a migration path makes a big difficult life cycle even harder. "Butterfly sanctuary" is a catchier name than "big contiguous place full of native plants."

Yeah LA has something like that right next to the airport, it's also the only viable home for a rare species of lizard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I AM GRANDO posted:

It’s weird for a conservative to be into conservation. They usually hate weakness and want to destroy it, often as gleefully as possible.

historically speaking this is not true, there was a time when conservatives, however reluctantly, championed the environment and preserving a living planet was seen as a bipartisan responsibility
not in any of our lifetimes though, the conservatives who had a toehold in reality are all long out of power

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Relevant Tangent posted:

historically speaking this is not true, there was a time when conservatives, however reluctantly, championed the environment and preserving a living planet was seen as a bipartisan responsibility
not in any of our lifetimes though, the conservatives who had a toehold in reality are all long out of power

It's always worth remembering that Nixon created the EPA.

If nothing else than because it makes you remember how far that was in the rear-view mirror.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Indeed. A couple years ago I was at a hair salon and got to hear a rabid Trumper hairstylist tell her client that caring for the environment was blasphemy because "that's God's job."

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

If nothing else than because it makes you remember how far that was in the rear-view mirror.

Nixon signed the bill with gritted teeth only because there were 67 votes in the senate. He could either get on board or go down as a loser in public opinion. He doesn’t deserve credit for anything beyond reading the room and signing a paper.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
The fact that the Cuyahoga River kept catching on fire had something to do with it, too.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

It’s weird for a conservative to be into conservation. They usually hate weakness and want to destroy it, often as gleefully as possible.
Everyone down there is actually really into conservation. They are all pretty aware of how badly that area has been impacted by things and its a big eco tourism center with beaches in the summer. Its all right near where space ex is loving things up too. Its very similar to one of the small beach towns in CA but with all the new money coming in demanding more build out and destruction of habitats.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

tgacon posted:

Nixon signed the bill with gritted teeth only because there were 67 votes in the senate. He could either get on board or go down as a loser in public opinion. He doesn’t deserve credit for anything beyond reading the room and signing a paper.

Can you imagine a conservative going down as a loser for refusing a veto-proof bill now, though? He’s be destroyed for accepting that it passed and was a law, or doing anything other than saying that it isn’t a law and all democrats should be killed.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Can you imagine a conservative going down as a loser for refusing a veto-proof bill now, though? He’s be destroyed for accepting that it passed and was a law, or doing anything other than saying that it isn’t a law and all democrats should be killed.

Exactly.

I wasn’t bringing it up cause I’m a Nixon-stan.

In fact if you read it that way, my point doesn’t make any sense because it only works as a criticism of modern conservatism if Nixon is a poo poo bag is taken as an axiom. It’s saying even Nixon, the conservative poo poo bird par excellence, got bullied into doing something positive for the environment.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Xiahou Dun posted:

Exactly.

I wasn’t bringing it up cause I’m a Nixon-stan.

In fact if you read it that way, my point doesn’t make any sense because it only works as a criticism of modern conservatism if Nixon is a poo poo bag is taken as an axiom. It’s saying even Nixon, the conservative poo poo bird par excellence, got bullied into doing something positive for the environment.

:rubby:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
With the EPA being completely toothless and relying so much on self-reporting, I think it worked out in conservatives' favors.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Lord Stimperor posted:

I'm going to out myself as a total Jordan-stan here. Whenever a new episode drops I'm really happy because I'm getting to vibe with my best parasocial buddies.

I think I couldn't be listening to Dan dulcetly recounting Alex Jones for very long, with or without quotes. Those soundclips and the beginning and end of the episodes, and some of the interjections by Jordan, are a little bit juvenile. But I wouldn't want it any other way, I think the show needs it.

I can understand how some people would prefer a serious investigative-journalism-type view into Jones' operation and effects. But that'll probably be a one-season production going over the highlights of Jones' career. Dan and Jordan are covering each single episode, week by week, month by month, year after year. This really needs the light-heartedness imo. They earned their Alex Jones grunting sound board.

Man I am the opposite I think Jordan seems like a nice guy but I find him super grating and never funny and he just yells a lot and I wish he’d stop

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Cure for Q found, just find them a new addiction....

https://twitter.com/JoBearParker/status/1488393407919759361

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
the next stage of development is bootleg nazi wordle

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Phobophilia posted:

the next stage of development is bootleg nazi wordle

gently caress you, you’ve done it now. Some rear end in a top hat is going to produce Qrdle and all the answers will be things like “TRUMP” “QANON”, “TRUTH”, and “JFKJR”.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
theres been several jokes that tinhat poo poo is sort of like the auto immune version for mental excerising / pattern finding.

so finding a good hobby can be a cure for some people.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Burning_Monk posted:

Cure for Q found, just find them a new addiction....

https://twitter.com/JoBearParker/status/1488393407919759361

https://twitter.com/devtesla/status/1349540398360834051

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Yeah the thing about cults is that every second spent outside of the bubble has a non-zero chance of breaking the brainwashing, usually from the most innocuous and banal reasons imaginable. Of course if these "I took my dad snowboarding once and now he's using tinfoil for cooking instead of headgear" stories had a 100% success rate this would be a lot easier, but that's also the reason why Q wants you to alienate yourself to your friends and family.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

It's the same reason why all the "inner cities are warzones and no-go areas" stories gain so much traction with people who don't live in cities. It's hard to keep the narrative going if you can just look out the window. So some Q people might just have their conditioning broke by a little word puzzle when they realize the world won't end if they stop listening to The Real Truths Of YouTube.

I suspect a shocking amount of them really are just there for a lack of any other hobby to distract them.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Qanon warhammer40k

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Oh, well, this explains everything.

https://twitter.com/rightwingwatch/status/1491450876028157952?s=21

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I mean, hasn't that been their go-to excuse for basically anything for the last few years?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Neito posted:

I mean, hasn't that been their go-to excuse for basically anything for the last few years?

Yeah, it's pretty standard cult behaviour - whenever The Leader is wrong, and provably, indisputably wrong, either they were doing it deliberately as a test of faith/to throw off The Enemy, or The Enemy somehow managed to distort their words or people's memories of them.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Well, they're kind of right.

Just not in the way they think they are.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

All that stuff we believed was just lies to trick those other gullible idiots who were dumb enough to believe it

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

So what’s the other half?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Straight up bullshit

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
“It was disinformation so it’s okay”?

The reason that stuff we said would happen never happened is because we were lying.

But we’re you lying on purpose?

Yes.

Right, that’s okay then.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Just another version of God testing them. Nothing new.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

canaidan cults are so polite, i tihnk they designed the god loves you flag themselves?

https://twitter.com/CarymaRules/status/1489308485766418432

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ron "Never as Q" Watkins posted, and even recorded, what may be one of the worst poems in history, in response to the NYT article:

https://twitter.com/2022_karma/status/1495960660085293057?s=21

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I was not q here or there
I was not q anywhere

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Watching the HBO Q documentary, the first words out of my mouth when he was on camera is "He hosed that Rei doll". That's the real mystery to me.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

canaidan cults are so polite, i tihnk they designed the god loves you flag themselves?

https://twitter.com/CarymaRules/status/1489308485766418432

This Queen Didulo is a real piece of work. She seems funny and harmless until you find out she has tens of thousands of followers and has made multiple calls for them to take up arms and kill people administering vaccines.

I think she's a foreign or domestic intelligence OP fwiw.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I don't know if it's been posted here but here's a really great BBC podcast about Qanon and the capital storming. The first couple of episodes act as a primer and mostly cover the anti-Clinton stuff from the 90s. It touches on Pizzagate and the satanic panic. Really interesting stuff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001324r/episodes/downloads

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Another Bill posted:

This Queen Didulo is a real piece of work. She seems funny and harmless until you find out she has tens of thousands of followers and has made multiple calls for them to take up arms and kill people administering vaccines.

I think she's a foreign or domestic intelligence OP fwiw.

certainly a domestic op, as the rightful queen of canada hard for her to be anything else

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Worse, it's a 4chan op

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
https://maewestside.tumblr.com/post/678405435737423872/raw-power-raw-notes-from-my-first-recorded

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

pseudanonymous posted:

How infirm would he have to be. He gives incoherent rants and slurs his words and can barely walk 10 feet and they cheer and scream and insist he's the healthiest golden god in the world.

If he's in the star trek beep beep robot chair I think they'd just be like "he's immortal, praise the god-emperor".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Let’s check in on how the last, best hope for the Qult sending all the democrats to Gitmo is going!

https://twitter.com/harrylitman/status/1531668090269798400?s=21&t=ELVo_OvhOmE2gI1TmgnUZQ

LegendaryFrog fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 1, 2022