Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
So if something is a creature type then the most obvious effect is every changeling becomes that type and everything that lets you name a creature type would let you name that new type. Basic lands are a special case, because just having the type is one gives it the ability to tap for mana. So if forest was a creature type, than every changeling would be able to tap for mana.
Shrines have a similar thing in that a lot of the old Kamigawa shrine cards do things per shrine you control, this would change how changelings interact with them. Similarly if equipment became a creature type than Stoneforge Mystic would be able to put any Changelings in your hand into play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

orangelex44 posted:

The whole "attack alone" thing is pretty horrible outside of Limited, right? I can't really envision a Standard deck built around that working out, much less the evergreen formats.

Depends on how many payoffs there are, probably. If you pack every single "when x attacks alone" into the same deck, maybe it's good, maybe it's not.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

neaden posted:

So if something is a creature type then the most obvious effect is every changeling becomes that type and everything that lets you name a creature type would let you name that new type. Basic lands are a special case, because just having the type is one gives it the ability to tap for mana. So if forest was a creature type, than every changeling would be able to tap for mana.
Shrines have a similar thing in that a lot of the old Kamigawa shrine cards do things per shrine you control, this would change how changelings interact with them. Similarly if equipment became a creature type than Stoneforge Mystic would be able to put any Changelings in your hand into play.

Ok. This makes sense.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
don't forget my favorite silly card

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

1 mana value payoffs are dangerous D:

edit also for Germans this has unfortunatly Rawhide Kobayashi vibes:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

orangelex44 posted:

The whole "attack alone" thing is pretty horrible outside of Limited, right? I can't really envision a Standard deck built around that working out, much less the evergreen formats.

Exalted is a similar sort of ability and used to do some work in competitive decks but it was more like you load up your deck with value creatures who incidentally have Exalted so you can use it in a pinch to punch though at strategic moments.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

drat they just really want enchantress decks to be a thing.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I can't stop being so excited for this set just for the art direction alone. Will probably be the first standard booster box(es) I'll have bought since, like core 2021.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Goa Tse-tung posted:

cool

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Goa Tse-tung posted:

this is just complete nonsense

quote:

edit also for Germans this has unfortunatly Rawhide Kobayashi vibes:

why for Germans?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fucker posted:

shes a woman, op

oh cool to know

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

kalel posted:

why for Germans?

Heiko is a German first name

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Man, did they need to make this "dies" and not "leaves the battlefield"? That hurts this so much for commander.

Neat card though.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

orangelex44 posted:

Man, did they need to make this "dies" and not "leaves the battlefield"? That hurts this so much for commander.

Neat card though.

They changed that rule, death triggers happen and THEN you move it to the command zone.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Strong Sauce posted:

there's a thread about NFTs, actually two. but the gist is, making NFTs is not a free action. most artists have lost money trying to get into a field they have no idea about. even worse they've had their stuff stolen, copied, etc..

This art is a sleeper. This is giving me demon slayer "about to find my hidden move and destroy a demon" vibes. Powerful. I bet the full art looks good on a playmat.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

reignonyourparade posted:

They changed that rule, death triggers happen and THEN you move it to the command zone.

No, I meant that you can't blink this. It's not like green-white has a ton of sacrifice triggers, although it does have a bunch of mana to pay commander cost a couple times.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

orangelex44 posted:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Can you fetch a goblin enchantment with Goblin Matron.

Yes. All subtype tutors just say "search for an x card" because it's technically only a Goblin creature if it's on the battlefield

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The Human Crouton posted:

I get that, but why does it matter if forest becomes a creature type? If forest were a creature type, and I played engineered plague and chose forest as a creature type to give all forest creatures -1/-1, why would it matter except in cases where your forests also happened to be creatures? Also, all cards that I can think of that specify something like creature type also specify that the effect only happens to creatures where it would matter, so that that layer of security to prevent craziness is built in the card text themselves.

The biggest reason not to do this is that some subtypes have rules associated with them that simply won't work if you make day, changelings, these subtypes.
Channeling mountains would tap for red.
Ongoing changelings would.... I dunno do something?
Not to mention this would complicate all cards which change land types now needing to also add an ability.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Even more simply, if you keep the subtypes separate then you never have to worry about corner cases coming up.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

HootTheOwl posted:

Yes. All subtype tutors just say "search for an x card" because it's technically only a Goblin creature if it's on the battlefield

This is just plain untrue

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

neaden posted:

https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/1487937257126440962?s=20&t=ZCMpEFuCXYvyBTxMJfz2sw
I agree with Seth here. It is not at all clear from the card that this creature has no type and unless you happen to know specifically shrine is an enchantment type you would never play this correctly.
Seth is farming you for engagement and I assure you he's both played a shrine deck and knows they weren't creatures.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lone Goat posted:

This is just plain untrue

I don't know what you're quibbling over here but this ain't it chief

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

I don't know what you're quibbling over here but this ain't it chief

These cards do not say "search for an x card" they say "search for an x creature card" because they are still x creature cards even if they are not on the battlefield.

Goblin Matron can get Crib Swap, General Tazri can not.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lone Goat posted:

These cards do not say "search for an x card" they say "search for an x creature card" because they are still x creature cards even if they are not on the battlefield.

Goblin Matron can get Crib Swap, General Tazri can not.
Go away
109. Objects
109.1. An object is an ability on the stack, a card, a copy of a card, a token, a spell, a permanent, or an emblem.
109.2. If a spell or ability uses a description of an object that includes a card type or subtype, but doesn’t include the word “card,” “spell,” “source,” or “scheme,” it means a permanent of that card type or subtype on the battlefield.
109.2a If a spell or ability uses a description of an object that includes the word “card” and the name of a zone, it means a card matching that description in the stated zone.
109.2b If a spell or ability uses a description of an object that includes the word “spell,” it means a spell matching that description on the stack.
109.2c If a spell or ability uses a description of an object that includes the word “source,” it means a source matching that description—a source of an ability, of damage, or of mana—in any zone. See rules 113.7 and 609.7.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

They specify 'creature cards' as a policy to stop unintended interactions with Tribal, before that they didn't bother. The two effects are functionally different. In the deck they are X creature cards but they are not creatures.

E: Amusingly, 'perpetually' isn't in the comp rules.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 31, 2022

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

Go away
109. Objects
109.1. An object is an ability on the stack, a card, a copy of a card, a token, a spell, a permanent, or an emblem.
109.2. If a spell or ability uses a description of an object that includes a card type or subtype, but doesn’t include the word “card,” “spell,” “source,” or “scheme,” it means a permanent of that card type or subtype on the battlefield.
109.2a If a spell or ability uses a description of an object that includes the word “card” and the name of a zone, it means a card matching that description in the stated zone.
109.2b If a spell or ability uses a description of an object that includes the word “spell,” it means a spell matching that description on the stack.
109.2c If a spell or ability uses a description of an object that includes the word “source,” it means a source matching that description—a source of an ability, of damage, or of mana—in any zone. See rules 113.7 and 609.7.

Lone Goat is right though. 109.2a says that it must match the description. So if it says "Goblin Creature Card" then it must fetch a card that is both a goblin and a creature. If it says "Goblin Card" then in only has to fetch a card that is a goblin.

I don't even think you two are disagreeing.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 31, 2022

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

They specify 'creature cards' as a policy to stop unintended interactions with Tribal, before that they didn't bother. The two effects are functionally different. In the deck they are X creature cards but they are not creatures.

Mainly they go out of their way to say "[type] creature card" or "[type] permanent card" if the ability puts the searched card into play so you don't have Tribal Changeling instants in play, but it's up in the air if the card isn't going into play. If it goes to your hand sometimes you'll get "[type] creature card", like the ones I posted above, and sometimes you'll just get "[type] card" like on Forerunner of the Legion.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

That's what it was. For a while the policy was to always specify, at some point they decided they're really never making more Tribal so they stopped specifying, but anything that puts in onto the battlefield needs to be backwards compatible. Technically they don't have to specify, if an instant or sorcery tries to enter the battlefield nothing happens, but better to make trying an illegal action than enable rules lawyers.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

That's what it was. For a while the policy was to always specify, at some point they decided they're really never making more Tribal so they stopped specifying, but anything that puts in onto the battlefield needs to be backwards compatible. Technically they don't have to specify, if an instant or sorcery tries to enter the battlefield nothing happens, but better to make trying an illegal action than enable rules lawyers.

They printed a Tribal Artifact - Lhurgoyf in MH2 so looks like they still have that option available to them.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Nighthand posted:

It's scams all the way down. Anyone who hasn't watched this really should:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_xWvX1n9g

Seriously it’s worth the time to watch this. It goes through crypto’s history and ends with the current state of nft’s .

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Alright, I found what I was thinking of. For a while they said "X creature" on things like Goblin Chieftain but stopped that (ref: Hobgoblin Bandit Lord). From forerunner of the legion there I assume this carries over to any templating where its deemed not to matter.

Ref: MaRo, and I think it was mentioned in the rules update at the time too.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

i have no idea whats going on with her pose in the regular art, lol

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The comparison of the samurai mechanic to Exalted is similar but ultimately the reason that Exalted worked back when Alara was in standard was that it had some absolute powerhouse cards with the mechanic. Noble Heirarch, Qasali Pridemage, and Rafiq of the Many were all insanely good creatures especially for the time. There was also Last Hour. None of the samurai spoiled so far are anywhere near that level.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

kalel posted:

why for Germans?

Heiko is a German first name

Flutch
Jun 26, 2008

A big flaming stink posted:

i have no idea whats going on with her pose in the regular art, lol

My best guess is that we are looking at her from behind and at a 45 degree angle, and that her head is turned far to the left to look backwards.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Striding Skyscraper 8
Artifact Creature - Construct (Uncommon)
This spells costs 1 less to cast for each modified creature you control.
Trample
Striding Skyscraper has hexproof as long as it’s untapped.
8/8

Otawara, Ethereal City
Legendary Land (R)
T: Add U to your mana pool.
Channel - 3U, Discard Otawara, Ethereal City: Return target artifact, creature, enchantment, or planeswalker to its owner's hand. This ability costs 1 less to activate for each legendary creature you control.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jan 31, 2022

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Might work in a voltron deck.