Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Mia Wasikowska posted:

if you have an xbox with gamepass you can play banjo kazooie in sweet sweet 60 fps but you probably already know this, anyway its way better. im not posting this in the switch thread to brag, i just figure some of you probably also have an xbox, so, just, play it there if you do. unless you want to play it portable i guess.

I'm not sure it runs at 60fps actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Arceus Legends actually sounds a bit like an open-world Pokémon Snap. So battles aren't super important but collecting Pokémon are? And you need to go through a series of hoops to reach objectives? You're not on rails and have a large area to explore.

I'm honestly kind of tempted to pick this up.

I also have had no time to play much recently. Just a bit of Picross or Tetris Effect before bed...

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I want to say that I am normally the last one to complain about something, I don't want to ruin anyone's good time, and I don't want to seem too down on this game. People are allowed to enjoy things, and some people are having a really positive experience.

It's really a very polarizing experience, extremely middling, and not like pokemon snap at all. There's no like way to get pokemon to just appear, you walk around in a field and wait for a spawn, or you beat up rocks, or you beat up trees. There's not like cool events or anything like that. The battling is very easy, and the game play is not very engaging. It feels like a pokemon game that was made for people who adore shiny hunting. Like a special game for them and no-one else. You complete quests by just catching pokemon, but they haven't done anything to make that part engaging. The quests themselves lack any real reward. It feels like a tech demo for a few cool ideas that were never developed into an actual game. You get money for catching lots of pokemon, and having them hit certain check boxes, which are like "catch 20 rats" or "did quick attack 10x" One of the first quests in the game someone wants a Buizel that's 2 foot 8 but there's no way to tell if a Buizel is 2 foot 8, because you don't even know how tall you are. So you really just catch 4 or 5 buizels and see if any of them are the right one. The other quests are like "Catch me this pokemon" or "Catch me 5 of those" or "Can you get me one that can do this move?" Which are all very cool ideas, and I would adore this game if there was just... More meat? You get into a swing of things, and you'll normally pick up some quests, go out catch some pokemon, maybe do the main quest, return when you run out of stuff, buy more poo poo and then go back out and hunt. That can, and should be an extremely rewarding gameplay loop, but there's nothing there to really grab you, because there's no way to experiment or interact with the world, there's no way to "force" or like get spawns to happen, because there's no real triggers out there you just wait and walk around for stuff to happen. Maybe you see a Gyarados in the sky or a togetic. Maybe you'll hit a rock and a Geodude will pop out, but there's nothing else to interact with. The pokemon battles are still incredibly easy, and I beat the first "Alpha" pokemon I came across which was a Rapidash. Which was easy because I had 6 Buizels because I couldn't find one that was the right height for the first quest.

It's also hideous, even for a pokemon game which doesn't have the best graphics to begin with, it's horrendously ugly, especially in motion.

Some people love this game, and if it scratches the right itch for you I'm sure it can be an extremely rewarding experience, but it definitely wasn't for me, and I was turned off enough to wonder if I still enjoy Pokemon. If the next one doesn't really grab me, I'm probably going to put the series away.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 31, 2022

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

it seems like a very bad game, to be fair

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I am a lifelong Pokemon fan and I've more or less hated its more recent iterations. I thought Sword and Shield was pathetically low effort, and I got three gym badges in Brilliant Diamond when I decided I was having so little fun and literally dreading mashing A through the trivially difficult trainer fights that I sold it. My mentality with Pokemon is that it should have gone the route of open world ages ago. It's a really uninspired and tired statement, but it's never not been true. Pokemon has treated its linearity and superficial game structure like sacred cows for way too long.

I was super leery of Legends, and having just cleared the first area story-wise, I think it is by far the best offering Game Freak has made in ages. I think it's fantastic but full of flaws. This is absolutely, without question the right direction for the series. The feel of the game is exactly what a younger me envisioned with an open world Pokemon in that it's all relatively seamless and snappy. You're machine gunning balls at wild pokemon and resources in a very fluid way, and the same fluidity is present with battles; You huck your pokemon at the wild pokemon and they're just entities present in that same space in which you can still just walk your rear end around and even physically walk away from the battle. That kind of stuff sounds so minor, but for a series that had become such a slog in so many different ways it's worth mentioning. Trainer battles are few and far between and have more weight, and alpha pokemon and the bosses are genuinely challenging and require some strategizing from both approach and the fights themselves.

When I say it's flawed there's the obvious element of it being an ugly-rear end game. It also ain't Breath of the Wild. It's instanced, but genuinely pretty large, zones and pokemon spawns are pretty static. It seems like it basically rotates between day and night pokemon with the occasional rare spawn sprinkled into more mundane areas. The actual layout of areas isn't as uninspired as it first seemed looking at screenshots, but again it's no Breath of the Wild. I guess really the point I'm making is that in spite of a lot of the world design being weak compared to other modern games, it's meaningful in terms of the Pokemon IP. The gameplay of running around and hoovering everything up feels great. If it was a genuinely interconnected open world with better design sense and dynamic nature to the whole thing you'd basically have the perfect Pokemon game. These are the steps they should have been taking like a decade ago, but better late than never.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Boba Pearl posted:

Some people love this game, and if it scratches the right itch for you I'm sure it can be an extremely rewarding experience, but it definitely wasn't for me, and I was turned off enough to wonder if I still enjoy Pokemon. If the next one doesn't really grab me, I'm probably going to put the series away.

I'm really enjoying such wildly different opinions. I think you put it very well. It seems to work for some, and definitely not for others. What you described sounds like a pseudo-Monster Hunter loop, which is like the #1 thing I dislike about that game, because it all feels so pointless. Is it fun to play? Mostly when it's not an obtuse experience. But just that blatant "make numbers go up" loop, really made me feel like I was playing a Clicker game with a more involved wrapper.

I think that sort of loop would bore me to tears especially if the wrapper on Arceus is as bland as all that.

I keep flipping my opinion with nearly every new opinion I read, but I really appreciate them! 60 euro is 60 euro that I can spend on something better.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
If graphics matter to you at all it's a pass, there are some clothes textures that are literally just a garble of pixels in a vague shape.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Boba Pearl posted:

If graphics matter to you at all it's a pass, there are some clothes textures that are literally just a garble of pixels in a vague shape.

I'm actually super ok with bad graphics and lovely frame rates in particular if the gameplay is good.

What it looks like is that the gameplay is not good, and that quest/hub format is a big turn-off to me for whatever reason. Like MH: Rise, the first time I felt I would have to grind for something, I just thought to myself "Why?" I know it's so you can fight bigger/different monsters, but your kit doesn't ever really change, you just get better with it, and with equivalently weaker weapons you can fight the monsters you have seen all to your heart's delight and still experience the same thing. I know I'm immensely trivializing the game, but that format doesn't do it for me and if that's what Arceus seems to be offering I don't want to make the same mistake twice.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
You're absolutely right, and Monster Hunter: Rise is literally my favorite game. If the grind and gameplay loop is engaging, I will bite on. I really don't need much, and will happily fight Rathian for the fifth time that day.

Pokemon does not have enough to rope me in to even do that.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Arceus Legends actually sounds a bit like an open-world Pokémon Snap...

Exactly this. It's Pokemon Snap but you control where you go, and you do Pokemon Let's Go collecting and [every other game] fighting, instead of pictures.

It's basically the best bits of all the games cobbled together.

It just doesn't have a very good map, as literally every critic has said. But it's not an adventure game like BotW so that's not as big of a problem as people make it out to be. It's just as detailed/populated as Halo 1 which was an action shooter, so I think people are just spoiled by over-produced huge games like RDR2. It's fine. The map can be infinitely better, but it's fine. I can still trudge across the vast, empty Halo map and not get my panties in a twist.

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I am a lifelong Pokemon fan ... These are the steps they should have been taking like a decade ago, but better late than never.

Exact opposite. It's never appealed to me until now because it was either Press A To Win or on rails collecting.

Now it's, like I said, the best parts of all the various types of games cobbled together. It's not pretty, but it's a great proof of concept. Now to actually have a big, full map with lots of detail, and more randomization of what appears where.

It's still probably the best Pokemon just by virtue of I'm not a cranky fuss about it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Had no idea what the game was until this page made me go look up some videos and yeah, it looks like a good improvement on the formula and what Sword should have been. Yeah it's still lazy production values, but the gameplay changes look cool. I played the original Red in 7th grade and I can't imagine how much fun kids today could have with this version of Poke.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Exact opposite. It's never appealed to me until now because it was either Press A To Win or on rails collecting.

Now it's, like I said, the best parts of all the various types of games cobbled together. It's not pretty, but it's a great proof of concept. Now to actually have a big, full map with lots of detail, and more randomization of what appears where.

It's still probably the best Pokemon just by virtue of I'm not a cranky fuss about it.

Really, I've thought about it more than anyone probably should due to having such a strong dislike of their other recent stuff. Blue for me was such a defining experience because it managed to capture a feeling of adventure. It was a small game but to a dumb kid it felt infinite. It was limited by the hardware and general game design knowledge of the era, but like I mentioned before I hate that the series never moved on. They began to venerate elements that weren't important and were too superficial. Gotta have linear routes that make a big circuit, gotta have HMs, gotta have eight gyms and a final gauntlet, etc. I vehemently disagree with the people who think Pokemon needs to lean into the JRPG stuff and that act like any of the character or story stuff matters at all. It's a series that needs to be about exploration and finding and interacting with cool creatures. The rest is window dressing. Open world design has always been such a profoundly obvious choice that I basically got more and more disappointed with every iteration acting like any kind of meaningful gameplay change was sacrilege.

My opinion is without question deeply influenced by just wanting some kind of progression of design and moving past an unacceptably long period of stagnation and lazy game design by Game Freak.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Exactly this. It's Pokemon Snap but you control where you go, and you do Pokemon Let's Go collecting and [every other game] fighting, instead of pictures.

It's basically the best bits of all the games cobbled together.

It just doesn't have a very good map, as literally every critic has said. But it's not an adventure game like BotW so that's not as big of a problem as people make it out to be. It's just as detailed/populated as Halo 1 which was an action shooter, so I think people are just spoiled by over-produced huge games like RDR2. It's fine. The map can be infinitely better, but it's fine. I can still trudge across the vast, empty Halo map and not get my panties in a twist.

i'm glad you are enjoying the pokemon game but 'it's just as detailed as halo 1' is an incredible phrase to write about a game released in 2022

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Do people who play shooters on the switch use gyro controls for aiming? It feels unnatural to me but could it be a good thing to get good with in the long run?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Gyro is perfect for Splatoon

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Kwolok posted:

Do people who play shooters on the switch use gyro controls for aiming? It feels unnatural to me but could it be a good thing to get good with in the long run?

Most people use both the sticks and gyro, generally the sticks are for aiming in a general direction then motion control to fine tune it

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Kwolok posted:

Been using my hori split pro and it's nice but I really wish it had gyro controls. What are the best ergo joy con replacements with hd rumble and gyro?

You can actually still get gyro controls but the game has to correctly support the handheld gyro configuration, rather than just using the joycon gyros all the time (the Switch unit itself has a gyro sensor). At least Turok2, Strife Veteran Edition and Quake support this, as will Powerslave Exhumed (which comes out real soon).

So if you want to look at it another way, another good way of getting gyro controls on replacement controllers is to email the developers of the desired game and tell them to fix their garbage, and it saves you money. :V

I really must go back and fix it in Turok 1.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jan 31, 2022

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Kwolok posted:

chaleski posted:

Most people use both the sticks and gyro, generally the sticks are for aiming in a general direction then motion control to fine tune it
Basically yeah. Don't use the gyros for everything or you'll find yourself looking like one of those '90s ads where the kid is twisting around with a Game Boy in his hands and get nowhere, but once the reticule is within spitting distance of the target you can use it to fine-tune your aim of you've got even reasonably steady hands. I'm certainly no surgeon, but it feels good to me and that's what's important IMO.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rocket Pan posted:

I really must go back and fix it in Turok 1.

:hai:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Legends has the belda magic of setting an objective, then seeing something else in the distance, usually a new pokemon, and diverting for an hour in a different direction.

Also love throwing out multiple balls at once to do trees and rocks, feeling like a real poke master.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I'm not sure it runs at 60fps actually.

It doesn't, but it does run at a rock solid 30 and have a bunch of QoL stuff like widescreen and saving your notes if you die/leave the level. It's super cool that it came to NSO but really, if you have access to the Xbox version you should play it there, and I can only imagine that the performance disparity will get worse if/when Tooie drops.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
I haven't been following the Expansion Pack updates; will Majora's Mask be up on February 1st or sometime in the middle of the month? I refuse to be without Majora's Mask on Switch for a second longer than necessary.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I don't think there have been any updates other than "sometime in Feb".

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
If Banjo is anything to go by, probably middle or late Feb.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Pokemon Legends minor spoiler

https://www.tiktok.com/@_supnicholas/video/7059196438651079941

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Had to press reload a Lot of times, but the white Switch Oled is currently in stock at Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098RKWHHZ/ref=olp_aod_redir?_encoding=UTF8&tag=sec2002-20&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Boba Pearl posted:

I want to say that I am normally the last one to complain about something, I don't want to ruin anyone's good time, and I don't want to seem too down on this game. People are allowed to enjoy things, and some people are having a really positive experience.

It's really a very polarizing experience, extremely middling, and not like pokemon snap at all. There's no like way to get pokemon to just appear, you walk around in a field and wait for a spawn, or you beat up rocks, or you beat up trees. There's not like cool events or anything like that. The battling is very easy, and the game play is not very engaging. It feels like a pokemon game that was made for people who adore shiny hunting. Like a special game for them and no-one else. You complete quests by just catching pokemon, but they haven't done anything to make that part engaging. The quests themselves lack any real reward. It feels like a tech demo for a few cool ideas that were never developed into an actual game. You get money for catching lots of pokemon, and having them hit certain check boxes, which are like "catch 20 rats" or "did quick attack 10x" One of the first quests in the game someone wants a Buizel that's 2 foot 8 but there's no way to tell if a Buizel is 2 foot 8, because you don't even know how tall you are. So you really just catch 4 or 5 buizels and see if any of them are the right one. The other quests are like "Catch me this pokemon" or "Catch me 5 of those" or "Can you get me one that can do this move?" Which are all very cool ideas, and I would adore this game if there was just... More meat? You get into a swing of things, and you'll normally pick up some quests, go out catch some pokemon, maybe do the main quest, return when you run out of stuff, buy more poo poo and then go back out and hunt. That can, and should be an extremely rewarding gameplay loop, but there's nothing there to really grab you, because there's no way to experiment or interact with the world, there's no way to "force" or like get spawns to happen, because there's no real triggers out there you just wait and walk around for stuff to happen. Maybe you see a Gyarados in the sky or a togetic. Maybe you'll hit a rock and a Geodude will pop out, but there's nothing else to interact with. The pokemon battles are still incredibly easy, and I beat the first "Alpha" pokemon I came across which was a Rapidash. Which was easy because I had 6 Buizels because I couldn't find one that was the right height for the first quest.

It's also hideous, even for a pokemon game which doesn't have the best graphics to begin with, it's horrendously ugly, especially in motion.

i agree with all of this. it's really really empty. i was initially drawn in by the format and it seemed cool at first until i realized that that gameplay loop was absolutely all there is. there's just not enough of a game here. stux was right ...

i loved sword and shield btw. great games.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
new mechanics are a step in the right direction but I'm definitely feeling the shallowness of the open areas after about 10 hours. if you're going to structure the entire experience around them you need to flesh them out to support the length of the game you're making ffs

but of course the next game will be the one we're all waiting for. just a testbed you see

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Kwolok posted:

Been using my hori split pro and it's nice but I really wish it had gyro controls. What are the best ergo joy con replacements with hd rumble and gyro?

I’ve been using this one. It’s basically a split pad clone with rumble and gyro and has been my favorite joy con replacement so far.

MOBAPAD M6 Gemini Game Consoles for Nintendo Switch LeftandRight Gamepad Game Handle Grip for NS OLED JoyCon
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0VSh84

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hte offoicial legends review: if you love featureless open worlds, characters with less charm than an amamzon alexa, and mmo/assassins creed tier lists of the same 5 tasks repeated for 50 hours, youll LOVE it. if youre normal itll drive you insane the second being able to throw a ball stops being novel.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Gumdrop Larry posted:

the bosses are genuinely challenging

have you ever played a video game

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

The 3DS Majorca’s Mask port was such an improvement (except for the Zora swimming. Why?) that I’m worried I won’t enjoy the straight port on Switch online :/

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ogmius815 posted:

The 3DS Majorca’s Mask port was such an improvement (except for the Zora swimming. Why?) that I’m worried I won’t enjoy the straight port on Switch online :/

heyo then try it out and see if you like it, what's the worst that could happen, you end up thinking an N64 game aged poorly?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

what are your fave switch games

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I don't disagree with any of the specific criticisms of Pokemon Legends Arceus, and I'm the kind of grognard who normally gets into the breeding and EV training and poo poo, but for whatever reason it's still really clicking with me. I'm not super far in, so far the story isn't the deepest but I'm really finding the world and characters charming, the quests are giving me excuses to explore and aren't tiresome to me yet, fighting Kleavor was genuinely exciting, and I ultimately just love crawling around to catch lil dudes.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Ogmius815 posted:

Hack your 3DS. Install the restoration mod.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

woke kaczynski posted:

fighting Kleavor was genuinely exciting

this. poressing zr 500 times to chip down its health bar while under zero threat treally got my heart racing.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Cavauro posted:

what are your fave switch games

Monster Hunter Rise

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Boba Pearl posted:

Ok, here's the thing, and I realize it's more of an art direction thing than just 'graphics', and also I haven't ever played a Pokemon game outside of a bit of Go... I never, ever thought that graphics mattered to me. I grew up a PC gamer with an NES, and while I of course enjoyed good graphics, I was totally fine playing stuff like Chopper Commando or Mixed Up Mother Goose, on DOS.

The one game (and it's not even the actual, full game) to put me off because of the graphics was Halo 3/ODST/Reach, and it was specifically The Forge.

At least when it started, every single piece used was some sort of very shiny blue steel material. Every. Single. Custom. Level. Looked them same. It was just awful, to the point where I'd actually quit if I ended up playing a Forge-made level. Granted, I wasn't a huge, pro-tier Halo player by any means, but I had overall enjoyed multiplayer, but forge maps felt like I was suffering from some sort of eye-fatigue, looking at all of that blue-grey on screen. I couldn't do it anymore.

So that's my one and only experience of graphics (or rather, a horrible art style) totally and completely turning me off of a game.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Quote /= edit. gently caress.