Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Len posted:

There was one for Terminator 2 where Cameron said "yeah the advertising went against my wishes" but I haven't seen that about FDTD

See now this one surprises me, because I never actually felt T2 was really setting up a twist beyond just not making it explicit. In T1 I actually feel bad for the punks that Arnie kills even though they're nasty, but in T2 I'm rooting for Arnie when he's fighting those bikers. It feels like from the get-go he's lost his creepiness, especially when juxtaposed with the T1000's demeanor.

Edit: I suppose that still counts as a kind of heavily foreshadowed twist, though I think it's more like "hmm, this feels different, maybe Arnie's not the bad guy? Let's see" rather than "WHOA holy poo poo my mind is totally blown!!!"

SidneyIsTheKiller has a new favorite as of 03:56 on Jan 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

See now this one surprises me, because I never actually felt T2 was really setting up a twist beyond just not making it explicit. In T1 I actually feel bad for the punks that Arnie kills even though they're nasty, but in T2 I'm rooting for Arnie when he's fighting those bikers. It feels like from the get-go he's lost his creepiness, especially when juxtaposed with the T1000's demeanor.

The "Bad to the Bone" musical sting really signposts that Arnie is the good guy this time around. There's a little bit of misdirection with having the T1000's arrival in the present loosely reminiscent of Reese's (similar location, altercation with a cop), but once that BA NAHNAH NAHNAH hits, there's really no question any more.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Crowetron posted:

The "Bad to the Bone" musical sting really signposts that Arnie is the good guy this time around. There's a little bit of misdirection with having the T1000's arrival in the present loosely reminiscent of Reese's (similar location, altercation with a cop), but once that BA NAHNAH NAHNAH hits, there's really no question any more.

Right I always figured that was just intended because there is nothing menacing about Arnold showing up in T2 at all, but no that actually was supposed to be a surprise that was ruined by marketing.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yes, but you see, if The Sixth Sense marketing mentioned that Bruce Willis' character was dead, then it wouldn't be a twist. I can't tell the difference between themes in a movie and a marketing campaign.

:goonsay:

This is up there with ambulances leaving the hospital for people not understanding something incredibly simple.

Im working off the definition of a twist being "something that is a surprise" and not "the plot does exactly what it says it's going to"

In which case FDTD and Predator are not twist movies

Len has a new favorite as of 04:06 on Jan 31, 2022

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Quote is not edit

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

The first shot of Predator is a loving spaceship!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Predator is different, yes. The first shot of the movie shows you an alien spaceship coming to Earth. However, there is not a scene in the first act of FDtD where the Gecko Brothers receive a cryptic warning from Dr. Van Helsing.

Even if you want to get pedantic about the term "twist", the second half of the movie is a drastic genre shift. Even moreso than the shift in Predator, because the framing of shots and movements of the camera even change. The first half is shot like Reservoir Dogs and as soon as Hayek changes it's suddenly looks like Evil Dead 2. Hard zooms, quick pans, exaggerated angles and all that. The movie changes around the characters in every way it can. The turn is distinctive and massive. Call it what you want, it is a different movie after that point.

I do not understand why this keeps coming up in this thread. It's a pretty fun movie, maybe you should just watch it instead of obsessing over the trailer.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Predator is an absolutely fantastic film

Also the title From Dusk til Dawn is like the most vampire movie title you can think of except for literally Vampires

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

John Carpenter's Vampires is poo poo from start to finish and it is irritating because a movie called John Carpenter's Vampires should, logically, kick rear end.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You'd think at this point people would begin to understand that marketing frequently does stupid poo poo against the wishes of the filmmakers and the intended tone and presentation of the film. Like, any trailer.

Predator is less intended to be a twist, especially given the whole title of the film. Though wish that more people would act like it was, because besides Predator 2 every single other movie sucks because it gets too interested in the Predators and not in what's actually interesting, that both are first presented as for their time standard action movies with stock characters who suddenly find themselves invaded by an alien from a sci-fi horror genre. See also like From Dusk Til Dawn; stock characters find themselves in the wrong genre, and we see how they handle that.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Crowetron posted:

John Carpenter's Vampires is poo poo from start to finish and it is irritating because a movie called John Carpenter's Vampires should, logically, kick rear end.

Based off the novel Vampire$!

Also the only good thing about that movie is the vampire skulls have fangs. Whatever good will I had remotely left for the film evaporated when Woods lost his goddamn mind.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

flavor.flv posted:

There's no twist in Empire Strikes Back, idiots, "Luke, I am your father" has been a meme for decades

Dearth Vader never says “Luke, I am your father.”

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah we all know he says "Obi-wan killed your father."

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

christmas boots posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9QSdLDGt7I

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

christmas boots posted:

He does in one of the lego versions

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I consider myself incredibly lucky to have been born at a time that I managed to watch both T2 and FDTD in my early/mid-teens with no idea what was going to happen.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I think that Cameron was trying to set up T2 as a big budget PG version of the original movie. So less gore, less menace, no sex (if you don't count the pervert asylum guard) and more action. Arnie's still the bad guy, but he's beating people up instead of ripping out hearts and he's more focused on his specific target rather than serial killing anyone who happens to have the same name. The protagonist isn't a 19 year old girl who'll get her tits out, it's a young boy who loves video games like the target audience. And of course his protector is posing as a cop.

Also if you had seen the original you'd be misled by both films having the T-800 arrive first, by the second arrival arming himself by taking a gun from a cop, and by John running into the T-800 after dodging the cop in the same way that Sarah attracted the notice of the first Terminator because she thought Reese was stalking her. It's absolutely set up as a mirror of the original movie right up to the moment when Arnie says "Get down".

E: I also recall an interview where Arnie said that he only agreed to do T2 if he didn't have to kill anyone. So that was another reason for the T-800 to feel nerfed.

Jedit has a new favorite as of 10:14 on Jan 31, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Tunicate posted:

He does in one of the lego versions

Objection withdrawn!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Jedit posted:

It's absolutely set up as a mirror of the original movie right up to the moment when Arnie says "Get down".
Also "come with me if you want to live" which has echoed in every movie except maybe the Christian Bale one

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FFT posted:

Also "come with me if you want to live" which has echoed in every movie except maybe the Christian Bale one

That's later in the film and for a plot based reason rather than a misdirection. Future John has instructed his T-800 to say that if it ever encounters Sarah, as only someone who had known Kyle Reese could have told it to say that. She still doesn't trust it, but it's the one thing that could have got her moving in the same direction as a Terminator at all.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Torquemada posted:

I absolutely didn’t know about FDtD. I saw it on the day it released because I loved Desperado, liked Tarantino and Harvey Keitel, and that plus ‘a heist goes wrong and two brothers try to escape to Mexico’.
No internet, no smartphones, didn’t watch a lot of tv or read film magazines, which is how I guess people ended up with a ‘wtf vampires’ story about when they saw it. The trailer definitely has a ton of vampires in it.

Just quoting myself from this thread three years ago.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Hey anyone know whereabouts the ambulance episode occurs in this thread because it sounds hilarious.

Edit: Lol thanks VVVVV

SidneyIsTheKiller has a new favorite as of 12:40 on Jan 31, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Hey anyone know whereabouts the ambulance episode occurs in this thread because it sounds hilarious.

Because I was a first responder to the ambulance moment, there is a link in my avatar, god bless whoever put it there.

e: in retrospect I really wish I'd said something funny but I was so bewildered

HopperUK has a new favorite as of 12:56 on Jan 31, 2022

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

HopperUK posted:

in retrospect I really wish I'd said something funny but I was so bewildered
I'm happy with my contribution to this event.

Jedit posted:

It's absolutely set up as a mirror of the original movie right up to the moment when Arnie says "Get down".
Also, we know the T1000 is a goodbad guy because he kills a cop. And there is no other time traveler aside from those two. The text doesn't spell it out until the "shotgun in the rosebox" scene, but the subtext screams it all along.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

That Italian Guy posted:

Also, we know the T1000 is a goodbad guy because he kills a cop. And there is no other time traveler aside from those two. The text doesn't spell it out until the "shotgun in the rosebox" scene, but the subtext screams it all along.

We don’t see him clearly kill the cop. All you see is him quickly gut punch the guy, and the next he’s in the cop uniform getting in the car. No blood or obvious stabbing or anything to really indicate the cop died.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

fartknocker posted:

We don’t see him clearly kill the cop. All you see is him quickly gut punch the guy, and the next he’s in the cop uniform getting in the car. No blood or obvious stabbing or anything to really indicate the cop died.
Ah, not sure why in my mind there was a weird wet sound (like someone being punched through the ribs) in the scene, but I haven't seen T2 in over a decade so I probably imagined that.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

That Italian Guy posted:

Ah, not sure why in my mind there was a weird wet sound (like someone being punched through the ribs) in the scene, but I haven't seen T2 in over a decade so I probably imagined that.

There might be some sound like that, but it’s shown and played initially more like the typical action movie move of a guy getting hit in the stomach and being knocked unconscious by something that probably should have just knocked the wind out of him.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
It is insane to me that anyone likes Encanto. That movie fukkin sucks. Hey, you know that trauma you've been collectively experiencing as a family for years at the hands of one old woman? Well she's kind of sorry about it, so let's all just be cool with everything now

Also Mirabel still doesn't get powers

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

sephiRoth IRA posted:

It is insane to me that anyone likes Encanto. That movie fukkin sucks. Hey, you know that trauma you've been collectively experiencing as a family for years at the hands of one old woman? Well she's kind of sorry about it, so let's all just be cool with everything now

Everything I've heard about it makes it seem like A Bad One

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Pixar has gone super downhill since Disney bought them out

Like every other studio they buy

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

Everything I've heard about it makes it seem like A Bad One

I wouldn't call it outright bad, but it's certainly got an issue that it all feels very rushed. Characters have their grand reveals before you even really know who they are, we go from the great calamity to its resolution in a matter of minutes, and the denouement doesn't really get time to breathe. It really could've used another 20 minutes runtime or thereabouts. Plus the songs were all just alright. Not terrible, but nothing really too memorable.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Yeah, it's not great.

But she gets the power to bring her family together!

flavor.flv posted:

Sure but Encanto wasn't Pixar.

Perestroika posted:

I wouldn't call it outright bad, but it's certainly got an issue that it all feels very rushed. Characters have their grand reveals before you even really know who they are, we go from the great calamity to its resolution in a matter of minutes, and the denouement doesn't really get time to breathe. It really could've used another 20 minutes runtime or thereabouts. Plus the songs were all just alright. Not terrible, but nothing really too memorable.

Yeah, pretty much this.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

sephiRoth IRA posted:

The whole point is that she doesn't need them. The only person who thinks that she does is her grandmother.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Morpheus posted:

The whole point is that she doesn't need them. The only person who thinks that she does is her grandmother.

Yeah, what do you think this movie is, Hotel Transylvania 2?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Mirabel is Abuela 2. No outlandish powers but can manage a family of superpowered goofs. The movie doesn't come out and say it but it's also pretty clear that she has a gift and it's the same as the Abuela, which is that she has an extreme connection to the powers of the magic house. Because she's gonna run it someday.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Also is the only acceptable message now 'if your family is messy and hosed up because of generational trauma, cut them off forever'? Is forgiveness never acceptable in any story?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

HopperUK posted:

Also is the only acceptable message now 'if your family is messy and hosed up because of generational trauma, cut them off forever'? Is forgiveness never acceptable in any story?

Forgiveness should be earned in some way instead of just handed out without any acknowledgment of the past wrongdoing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Forgiveness should be earned in some way instead of just handed out without any acknowledgment of the past wrongdoing.

Wasn't there a whole scene about it where they talked and came to understand each other and Abuela was sorry and they hugged? On the riverbank? Maybe I just misunderstood what was going on, I don't know. I thought it was sweet.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

HopperUK posted:

Because I was a first responder to the ambulance moment, there is a link in my avatar, god bless whoever put it there.

e: in retrospect I really wish I'd said something funny but I was so bewildered

Thanks again.

So, we banned Your Gay Uncle for never coming back and explaining how he thought patient transfers were done, right? Because dude had conviction that they weren't by ambulance and I'm dying to know.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I haven’t seen Encanto so I don’t feel qualified to comment on it’s quality. My apologies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

flavor.flv posted:

Cars, Ratatouille, Wall-E, Up, Brave, Toy Story 3, Inside Out, Coco, Soul, Luca were all good. I really enjoyed those last three