Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Stux posted:

yup. good luck trying to play mgs.
Or Mad Maestro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

Or Mad Maestro.

Deck preorder cancelled

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

I'm in it so I can play my nerd games like RimWorld and Factorio on the couch next to my wife instead of at an uncomfortable desktop.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
More Steam Deck Tech Info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxLlGe8-qYY

CharlestheHammer posted:

I wish this thread didn’t become switch vs whatever. The switch is a Nintendo machine, so it will always just do whatever it does.with no real effect in anything else
The Steam Deck wouldn't exist without the Switch

rox
Sep 7, 2016

The United States posted:

my brain is parsing the dpad as a little bowtie dude is wearing

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
instead of steam deck tech, what if it was a steam tech deck and it was a little skateboard you could do sick tricks with.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Can't wait for my Steam Switch.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Valve has had GPD Wins at their offices since their launch, keeping in mind that it's form factor was more 3DS than Switch. The success of Switch may have helped rally the troops but there was a lot more going on that helped make Deck happen.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SCheeseman posted:

Valve has had GPD Wins at their offices since their launch, keeping in mind that it's form factor was more 3DS than Switch. The success of Switch may have helped rally the troops but there was a lot more going on that helped make Deck happen.
Well yeah, the early 3DS style GPD Win models predate the Switch itself

The later more Switch-like GPD Win models and Aya Neos and such came after

But this isn't just about the form factor the hypothetical Steam Deck would eventually take after the complete and utter Artifact-level failure of Valve's Steam Machines initiative, it took the Switch selling like gangbusters (at a level and pricepoint no GPD Win or Aya Neo could match) and the Switch eating up the lion's share of all the indie game sales in order to get Valve to take loving notice.

Behold, the charts that scared the poo poo out of Valve:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-05-15-xbox-one-least-popular-platform-among-indie-developers

https://grumpygamer.com/twp_sales

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 31, 2022

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RandomBlue posted:

Can't wait for my Steam Switch.

Going to be waiting for the Valve Steam Switch Pro model myself.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

The later more Switch-like GPD Win models and Aya Neos and such came after

That top one looks horrendous to play on

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

sigher posted:

Going to be waiting for the Valve Steam Switch Pro model myself.

Sorry best I can do is Valve Steam Switch OLED Model

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Wake me up when there’s a Valve WonderSwitch Crystal.

edit: .com

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kwolok posted:

Sorry best I can do is Valve Steam Switch OLED Model

At least we'll get built in Ethernet finally, thank god.

Is anyone else excited for the new version of Steam OS? I love OS and UI updates, and Big Picture felt like a step in the right direction but not the best.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Senator Drinksalot posted:

trying to figure out the level of lobster clawing you'd need to use both the analog stick and face buttons at once

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

The deck has a similar layout but the stick isnt recessed, did they even playtest that design before locking it in?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Top one reminds me of my old Asus eeePC. Good times...

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

The deck has a similar layout but the stick isnt recessed, did they even playtest that design before locking it in?
The Steam Deck is copying the Switch, which does not have recessed sticks

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

The deck has the sticks in line with the dpad and face buttons though, wheras the switch is offset which is a much better setup but then there would be no touchpads.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Uh.. if this guy with 42k subs has a preview model, I'm assuming digital foundry and gn should have one as well.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

JuffoWup posted:

Uh.. if this guy with 42k subs has a preview model, I'm assuming digital foundry and gn should have one as well.

Of course they do they just aren’t making this type of video for it. They will of course have a launch video.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's not great. The bigger issue is the wobbly triggers, some of the worst I've ever used. But it was the first of it's kind, portable Fallout New Vegas was a hell of a novelty.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I wish they'd stuck with that design

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
i don't think it was really indie game 'success' on the Switch that spurred this. in reality indie games especially in the past three have a very rough time on the Switch thanks to poor discoverability; it's only the titles that are incredibly popular before popping on the switch that end up finding an audience.

it's more of a bunch of different factors combined with a realization that playing most games on linux at a feasible speed was actually, well, feasible. that valve is actually updating all of their old games to fix their UIs and make them more compatible means they're more serious about this thing than i thought considering valve will often do the absolute bare minimum due to their company structure.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

The switch store has almost as much garbage on it as Steam, that's why Valve knew they had to make a handheld

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The switch store has almost as much garbage on it as Steam, that's why Valve knew they had to make a handheld

The switch also has console garbage level store interface making it a hybrid model

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
somehow it's still better than the PS store though. i think the series S is the first actual decent console store i've used

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

They still make the win max with essentially the same design.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

somehow it's still better than the PS store though. i think the series S is the first actual decent console store i've used

I used the PS5 one for the first time recently and my mind was blown at how poo poo it is. They even hosed up the web store.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

The deck has the sticks in line with the dpad and face buttons though, wheras the switch is offset which is a much better setup but then there would be no touchpads.
Wait what? No, offset is not inherently better, why would you think so?

flavor.flv posted:

What, the d-pad and buttons on the outside and sticks on the inside? Well, you're in luck my friend!

FZeroRacer posted:

i don't think it was really indie game 'success' on the Switch that spurred this. in reality indie games especially in the past three have a very rough time on the Switch thanks to poor discoverability; it's only the titles that are incredibly popular before popping on the switch that end up finding an audience.

it's more of a bunch of different factors combined with a realization that playing most games on linux at a feasible speed was actually, well, feasible. that valve is actually updating all of their old games to fix their UIs and make them more compatible means they're more serious about this thing than i thought considering valve will often do the absolute bare minimum due to their company structure.
It was absolutely a bunch of different factors and one of those factors was PC indie games (a market segment Valve has cared a great deal about ever since Minecraft became the best selling game of all time) starting to sell better on Switch than Steam even when the port is months or years late.

CharlestheHammer posted:

The switch also has console garbage level store interface making it a hybrid model
Yeah but you can also just buy from the website and it will automatically download to your switch

Feels Villeneuve posted:

How soon you forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xc7tNbjnHM

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 31, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The aya neo also has off set and I’m now in the camp of in line being better.

Though this just could be a first revision issue because I’m hitting the right stick a lot when I use the face buttons.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Wait what? No, offset is not inherently better, why would you think so?

Reaching across the face buttons to use the stick causes unwanted inputs

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i somehow didn't realize until now that the deck oriented the sticks and face buttons that way. what the gently caress

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Reaching across the face buttons to use the stick causes unwanted inputs
The sticks are pretty tall, not seeing it being a problem in this case

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i somehow didn't realize until now that the deck oriented the sticks and face buttons that way. what the gently caress
You're gonna love that melting B button

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 31, 2022

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

The sticks are pretty tall, not seeing it being a problem in this case

You're gonna love that melting B button

I still think having the sticks in line with the dpad and face buttons is a far inferior design to having the dpad and face buttons be offset from the sticks. Offset sticks and inline sticks make zero difference though, I actually prefer the PS layout to the xbox one.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
maybe it feels better in the hand, it just seems like that design would gently caress up the claw grips that a lot of people use to use stick+face buttons simultaniously

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Im guessing the heel of my hand is gonna hit that b button a lot

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Feels Villeneuve posted:

maybe it feels better in the hand, it just seems like that design would gently caress up the claw grips that a lot of people use to use stick+face buttons simultaniously
They have multiple buttons on the rear of the device, so those claw grips are unnecessary between the triggers and paddles.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Infinite Karma posted:

They have multiple buttons on the rear of the device, so those claw grips are unnecessary between the triggers and paddles.

they should have put the touch pads on the back, like the greatest console ever made, the ps vita

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Do a lot of people really do that