Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the Spain Virus posted:

Are there specific parts of the country where HOAs are common, because I've literally never seen one. Enforcement of codes and whatnot here are the purview of the town.

where there is a lot of land for suburban developments

how suburban developments get built is a whole nother can of corrupt worms with fun stuff like tax breaks and absolutely no long term planning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Hobnob posted:

Another thing about HOAs is that they are very much pushed by local (e.g. city) government because it falls to the HOA to maintain roads, common area landscaping, etc. out of fees, and so the government doesn't look like they are raising taxes. Many cities require HOAs on all new residential developments.

Also a lot of the time the developer will have de facto control of a new HOA board while they are still selling lots in the subdivision. Then after a few years the developer stops caring and that's when the busybodies take over.

My understanding was that it had to do with how much unincorporated land was in some states; since the town doesn't *technically* provide services to such land it's the responsability of those who build there to?

IDK both unincorporated land and HOA's are a mystery to me, we have neither up here in Massachusetts.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I don't think they're really related. The HOA might provide some services but that's not really the primary function. I've lived in an HOA property that was not unincorporated.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Condo blocks in cities are HOAs, you need a collective entity to manage the public areas and the building's overall structure. Co-ops are similar but not legally HOAs as far as I understand it

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Batterypowered7 posted:

He's not fixing poo poo. He's just gonna hide it better while you're around.

Bonus is he's going to call her all those words behind her back when she's not around!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hellblazer187 posted:

I don't think they're really related. The HOA might provide some services but that's not really the primary function. I've lived in an HOA property that was not unincorporated.

And my mom lives one block outside city limits but not in an HOA. For her it's mostly just an extra hurdle with places that are quick to say "we only operate in <city>" until she gets them to look up the address. Only time it really matters is local elections.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Still laughing someone is mad at Anne for besmirching the honor of Henry VIII. The guy who somehow managed to persecute Catholics and Protestants depending on the mood he was in.

And treated his daughters like poo poo

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Also remember that Henry was on a date on the day of Anne’s execution

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I feel bad for everyone involved in The Tudors trying to make Jonathan Rhys Meyers as repulsively unsympathetic as the real Henry VIII. Just slathered in old age makeup and prosthetic leg ulcers, constantly dipping his hands into meat pies and sounding like Mr. Creosote

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
someone is dissing anne?

she grew up in the french court!
oui oui bonjour
life was a chore
so she set sail

they're just bitter
because she's fitter

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

haveblue posted:

Condo blocks in cities are HOAs, you need a collective entity to manage the public areas and the building's overall structure. Co-ops are similar but not legally HOAs as far as I understand it

In a co-op, you own your unit and have that much of a share in making decisions when it comes to things that must be done on a building wide level. When it comes to things done inside your own unit, you can do whatever you want as long as it complies with building codes.

For example, if you and I live in a building with 10 units and I want to knock out a wall in my unit and install a batcave, I don't have to talk to you about it and as long as it is up to code and I update my blueprints on file with city hall (so if there's a fire in my apartment and I was in the batcave playing with toys, the firefighters know to look for me) and it does not affect you or the other apartment dwellers in any way.

If I would like for the building to hire a doorman to sign for packages and deter breakins/door to door sales/etc, this is something the entire building could benefit from and I'm probably not willing to pay the guy's wages all by myself. What I'll do is at the next co-op board meeting say "Hey, I'd like to hire a doorman for xyz reasons. I've found an agency and he will cost $x. I think this is a good thing to spend some of our collective co-op board fees on."

Depending on how exactly our board is set up, I might need 6/10 units to agree with me when the issue is brought up for a vote, then the motion is passed and we get a doorman. Everyone might not be interested in attending co-op meetings, so I might just need a majority of people who did choose to show up to the vote, or I might need to knock on 5 other peoples' doors and give them lemon squares to get them to sign the form.

For some issues, like selling the building if a developer offered to buy it so it could be razed and replaced with a parking garage, passing that motion might need 2/3 majority or be unanimous.

If someone owns 1 unit, they get 1 vote, if they own 2 units they get 2 votes, etc. In this way, individual people may be able to form voting blocs. It is not unknown for someone to own, in my example, 6/10 units in the building, let friends or family live in the other 5 units (or sublet them to strangers if the co-op's terms allow for such things) and be able to pass or block whatever policies he wants.

Co-ops do not have the power to use liens to punish and terrorize their members, because in a co-op, you own your unit(s). Socially, very similar kinds of annoying bullshit to HOAs often happens. Basically imagine if your neighbors were all your landlord and you needed to win over half the members of your PTA before you could get your mailbox fixed.

This article about someone trying to get their neighbors to subsidize their air conditioning goes into further depth about these issues. While in real life, co-op board negotiations sounds tedious and horrible, it seems like fertile sitcom territory.

EDIT: fixed broken link

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 31, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Also it should be said there is no evidence that Anne cheated on Henry. There was accusations, but most of those were incestious and obviously not actually true.

Catherine Howard is the only one of Henry’s wives that we know engaged in an affair

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

ponzicar posted:

Am I missing something? I just assumed it was same father, different mothers. Her husband had a kid from a previous relationship, and they had another one together.

God yes of course. Something about how it was written did something to my brain, I think.
That and I am a very stupid person.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

From Dear Prudence

quote:

Q. Man-flu gone wild: A week ago, my sister-in-law asked if I could babysit for a day when she had to go into the office. I’m a self-employed florist, so it was a bit awkward, but she’s family. So I grabbed my laptop so I could at least do some admin and headed over.

It wasn’t my nephew, who’s 5, whom she needed me to take care of. It was my brother. He had a stomach flu (not COVID, he’d tested).

I thought it was a joke at first, because he’s a grown man who was briefly in the Army, but no. There was a list of things he wanted to eat and when to take him up water and the level to keep the TV at. I figured I was already there, it’s been a long pandemic, and my SIL is just over the top. So I set up in the kitchen and waited for my brother to come down.

He was a man-child the whole morning. His toast wasn’t right. He wanted this. “For F’s sake, can’t I do anything right?” I was about to leave in a huff when he came into the kitchen and he’d soiled himself (because stomach flu). Thankfully he’d cleaned himself up, but he had a load of fouled sheets and pajamas that he wanted me to wash for him. I told him no and he threw an absolute tantrum, swearing and yelling that ended with him dumping everything on my laptop. So I left and now I am at a complete loss.

My SIL has apologized for him and offered to pay for my laptop, and my mom has said that he was always a nightmare when he’s sick, but they seem to think it was within the bounds of normal bad behavior. Like someone getting drunk and being sick in your begonias, or losing their temper over something and punching through a door—bad, but normal bad. I seem to be the only one that thinks it was grotesquely bizarre behavior from an adult man. He’s 42. He shouldn’t even need someone to babysit him when he’s sick, never mind resorting to throwing soiled clothes like a monkey at the zoo.

Am I wrong? Isn’t this the sort of behavior that should result in a visit to the hospital? I don’t know how long he’s been like this that my SIL considers a babysitter for a 40-year-old with no known medical problems normal, but he didn’t behave like this at home. I’ve asked my mom if he had something I don’t know about but she said no, and it’s SIL’s house.

I’ve not seen my brother since, and I’ve no idea how to approach our next meeting now. I just feel that no one else is alarmed enough about this behavior?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CharlestheHammer posted:

Also remember that Henry was on a date on the day of Anne’s execution

That's fine because he wasn't spending ENGLISH MONEY on it. According to the actual guy in question, he was fine with Henry whoring around but not with him spending money on Anne the GOLD DIGGER.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

coronatae posted:

From Dear Prudence

You know guys, while I appreciate the hatred of the /r/AITA mods, I have, in the past, kinda agreed with them that the phrase "man-child" is used too liberally sometimes.

But not in this case.

This human being is a man-child.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

That's fine because he wasn't spending ENGLISH MONEY on it. According to the actual guy in question, he was fine with Henry whoring around but not with him spending money on Anne the GOLD DIGGER.

It’s actually really sad as Anne thought to the end Henry wasn’t going to let them kill her.

Her death and later Cromwells death are probably the saddest of Henry’s many sins.

That or basically shunning Mary until she disowned her mother

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Neito posted:

You know guys, while I appreciate the hatred of the /r/AITA mods, I have, in the past, kinda agreed with them that the phrase "man-child" is used too liberally sometimes.

But not in this case.

This human being is a man-child.

I mean, the SIL literally asked her to babysit

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

the Spain Virus posted:

Are there specific parts of the country where HOAs are common, because I've literally never seen one. Enforcement of codes and whatnot here are the purview of the town.

Better question would be "Where do you live?" And I can probably drop a ton of zillow links with houses for sale with an HOA. I'll start with, "Every condo ever."

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

coronatae posted:

From Dear Prudence

what the gently caress

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

coronatae posted:

From Dear Prudence

quote:

Like someone getting drunk and being sick in your begonias, or losing their temper over something and punching through a door—bad, but normal bad

:thunk:

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for how I reacted to my boyfriend’s game character?

quote:

My boyfriend (23m) of 7 years recently started playing a new game called Black Desert. I’d like to preface with the fact that he’s not addicted to playing video games, and we both have a healthy, balanced routine.

I (22F) had only ever heard of the game he was playing in passing, and I don’t have much interest in MMO titles in the first place, but we have a few games we play together, and I thought I may as well try the game with him.

However, after I start and finish a few quests, I meet up with him in game, and Im met with almost a mirror image of myself. The model wasn’t perfect obviously, but the character looked almost exactly like me, down to the facial structure and body type.

I was very reasonably creeped out, and I asked him why he had gone out of his way to make a character out of me. His weird as gently caress explanation was that: “If I have to look at a character model while I play a game, why not look at someone I already find hot?”.

I said that he was being creepy and obsessive, and that I needed a bit of distance, so I’ve been staying at a friends place for about 2-3 hours. I just can’t get the picture out of my head of my boyfriend spending hours creating a lifelike sculpture of me in a character creation menu. I’m starting to feel a bit bad for how I reacted, though.

So Reddit, AITA?

Guess the relationship time!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Evil Willow posted:

This would be almost heartwarming through a slightly different lens. OP is definitely overreacting, but then again look at those ages.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
wait, girlfriend of 7 years is mad that her boyfriend thinks she's so good looking he made his character look just like her?

:psyduck:

like, if they weren't romantic partners that would be deeply creepy, but as it is... it's mildly strange? and kinda cute?

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

coronatae posted:

From Dear Prudence

Lol this was pretty much my brother in law a few months ago. Hurt his foot and pretty much ignored everything my medical professional wife told him to do and he kept trying to have her come over to the house to take care of him. Eventually his wife's mother came down to wait on him hand and foot. Meanwhile two years prior while my wife was hospitalized due to what later turned out to be covid/complications from chemo, he and his wife pretty much kept saying they were too tired to even come over and watch the kids for like 30 minutes so I could nap/bring some stuff to my wife. It's cool though cause he did visit her at the hospital and bought her food. Not the food she had asked him to bring but a cold cheeseburger from burger King and half a thing of fries (he got hungry he said)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Kenshin posted:

wait, girlfriend of 7 years is mad that her boyfriend thinks she's so good looking he made his character look just like her?

:psyduck:

like, if they weren't romantic partners that would be deeply creepy, but as it is... it's mildly strange? and kinda cute?

It would have been cute if he showed it to her when he made it, ask her opinion on it, etc. "Surprise, I made you" is considerably less cute.
Also, I'm willing to bet his "If I have to look at a character they have to be hot" logic doesn't apply to male characters.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Evil Willow posted:

They got together at 15 and 16?

That seems pretty normal, and its more shocking they're still together.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for tipping our waitress 20 dollars despite her poor service, because my date was playing a "game" with her tips?

quote:

I met a guy on a dating app, we hit it off and we arranged for our first date. Things were going well, we had sat down and had started some small chat. Our waitress comes over asking us what we want to order.

I say what I want and gesture to him so he can order. He orders and then pulls what I think is about 15 dollars on the table. He says "This is your tip. Everything you mess up, I take some away".

The waitress looked nervous immediately. I'm sitting there a bit shocked, but mostly embarrassed because I wasn't expecting this. She must have been new as well, because she did spill some drinks on our table that night, gave us the wrong food, and overall just seemed lost. He took away 13 dollars.

I asked him why he thought doing tips this way was a good idea. He said it was the best way to ensure "good service". When I disagreed he said "Cant always be nice to these people, it's not a respectable job".

I decided then that I wanted nothing to do with him, and called the waitress over to get the bill. I slapped a 20 dollar bill in her hand and got up to pay for my own meal.

Later that night he had demanded to know why I had given her the tip despite her poor service and I told him it's because he decided to treat her livelihood like it was a game. He said because of me she'll never improve her service and that I'm just a people pleaser.

I blocked him, but I've wondered ever since if that was really the right thing to do.

AITA?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for tipping our waitress 20 dollars despite her poor service, because my date was playing a "game" with her tips?

quote:

she did spill some drinks on our table that night, gave us the wrong food, and overall just seemed lost.

quote:

He said it was the best way to ensure "good service".

how's that working out for you buddy :thunk:

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

I think the game avatar choice might be an egg thing. Either way, it's still somewhat creepy. Possibly extremely creepy, depending on what BF does in the game.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Soylent Pudding posted:

I didn't think people actually did that

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
As someone who worked in bars and restaurants for most of my 20s and early 30s, I’d have told him to get the gently caress out and not come back.

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

Hughlander posted:

Better question would be "Where do you live?" And I can probably drop a ton of zillow links with houses for sale with an HOA. I'll start with, "Every condo ever."
Farmington, Maine. I've also lived in New Sharon and Auburn, when I was very young. I'm not aware of any condos around here. There's one in Livermore that I know of, maybe 20 miles from here. I could well be mistaken -- I don't claim I'm not.

Edit: Seriously, though, it sounds like HOAs are development-dealieies? There's very little new construction here. Most houses are Victorian or older. HOAs just sound so utterly foreign to me. It's the town's job to enforce codes.

Ortho fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 1, 2022

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Tobermory posted:

I think the game avatar choice might be an egg thing. Either way, it's still somewhat creepy. Possibly extremely creepy, depending on what BF does in the game.

Not everybody who picks an avatar that doesn't look like them is an egg

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

:murder::murder::murder::murder::murder:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Tobermory posted:

It's a Korean MMO so it's a massive grindfest, even within the context of MMOs. He's probably AFK fishing.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for my response when asked "why are you still single"?

I have only ever heard this question in the context of flirting or as a sarcastic put down.

Who the gently caress says that as a way of making conversation? What is an acceptable answer to that question? I'm gonna guess sharing your personal traumas or deep-seated issues will not go over well, and it sounds like a crowd that'd call you a stuck-up bitch if you dared suggest that a woman in her thirties is allowed to have priorities other than locking down a man and getting started on pumpin out the little ones.

What do these people want her to say; "I know, right? Any man would be better than none, so if you have a deadbeat cousin or nephew whose parents are dying to get him out of the house, can you send him my way please?"

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Not everybody who picks an avatar that doesn't look like them is an egg

Obviously not. But picking an avatar of a different gender and then spending hours tweaking your appearance to be super-hot in your new form? That's a thing.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for getting a supermarket employee fired after he left a note with his phone number on my wife's windshield?

quote:

context: wife and I were out shopping at the supermarket yesterday morning, I noticed a guy (he works/ed there) "following" us from spot to spot sort of like checking out my wife? I wasn't sure but he kept trying to start conversations with her by offering to get her xyz products. I felt annoyed plus the guy was roughly 21-22 so 10 years younger then me

once we got our stuff and walked to the parking lot I saw a note with a phone number on the windshielf. I couldn't help but connect the dots as the following: a. this is my wife's car and she's regular shopper so the staff knows her and most likely know her car. I figured it was someone who knew my wife. Wife asked that I throw it away and get in the car but I took the note, walked inside the supermarket and started dialing the number. I wait few seconds and a phone starts ringing. I look near the register and see my guy standing there with a puzzled look on his face looking at his phone. I immediately and loudly confront him about leaving a note with his phone number on my wife's windshield, he tries to act dumb asking what I'm talking about. my wife comes inside and says we should go but I refuse. At this point, customers and workers are just staring at us. I demand to see the manager while the guy keeps denying saying he had no idea how his number got there. The manager comes in minutes later and I tell him everything. he apologitically agrees it was inappropriate and unprofessional and boarderline harrassement. He then tells the guy to go to the back and then tells me he'll take care of it then further apologizes to my wife.

later I found out that the guy was fired, my wife said I caused a huge issue for no reason and there was no harm in letting that guy just keep his job. I said she was being unreasonable to think I made him lose his job. she said no but I could've tossed the note instead of making a scene and causing this college stundent (how did she know?) to lose his income when it's a frequent think for guys that age to act like that.

I don't know because I feel guilty for escalating things to this degree. I feel pethatic honestly and like I acted out of insecurity and anger. AITA?

the spelling though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Hellblazer187 posted:

AITA for telling my boss I’m not going to shovel snow for the store?

Reddit is mostly getting this one right, but there are some scattered YTA comments as well calling OP entitled.
I posted the "Can You Sew This For Me" tumblr before, right?

Anyway, I found it because I sew. The cashier/snow shoveling comparison would be like if I took a summer job flipping burgers for minimum wage and then was told that my job included sewing. The last time I sewed for money I made almost twice the minimum wage.

I mean, I'll do some quick and lovely hand sewing repairs if needed, but if you need my sewing skills, you PAY for my sewing skills.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

It seriously warms my heart to see labor finally having the leverage to tell our collective bosses to shove it
Yeah . . . genuinely never expected to see this happen, ever, in my lifetime.

https://slate.com/human-interest/20...LPCQyDzL8GU-IXg

quote:

“I had a client rant to me recently about how they weren’t getting ‘good’ candidates for their positions. I suggested that they consider focusing the job description a bit more on the skills they most want, and he got really defensive and just said again how much they needed all this work done. Then YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR IT. There is just utter disbelief that they no longer hold 100% of the cards.”