Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A lot of the antivax/anti-mask rhetoric deep-down is also just scared people thinking they've cracked some secret code that means they get to live a normal life and all is actually well, unlike the dumb sheeple who haven't figured it out like they did.

Getting vaccinated, boosted, and wearing a mask when indoors and in a large public place is basically a normal life. It's been deeply disappointing to see how little people are willing to do for their own safety, let alone the safety of others. They're not sneaking past checkpoints, refusing to move, or hiding things from people searching their homes. They're just not doing simple things, and often times spending energy to not do those things.

Even those things are not a guarantee. Nothing is, it seems. I'm pretty sure vaccinated people usually have much milder symptoms, but that doesn't mean everyone gets by clean. Especially someone already facing a disease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Grondoth posted:

Getting vaccinated, boosted, and wearing a mask when indoors and in a large public place is basically a normal life. It's been deeply disappointing to see how little people are willing to do for their own safety, let alone the safety of others. They're not sneaking past checkpoints, refusing to move, or hiding things from people searching their homes. They're just not doing simple things, and often times spending energy to not do those things.

Even those things are not a guarantee. Nothing is, it seems. I'm pretty sure vaccinated people usually have much milder symptoms, but that doesn't mean everyone gets by clean. Especially someone already facing a disease.

Nah, you're thinking too specific; Having to wear a mask and get vaccinated and all that isn't How Things Were, which is what they want and think they've figured out the Big Secret Truth that means things are really okay and still How Things Were, rather than How Things Actually Are.

Having to wear a mask indoors is different and scary to them.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It's also - looking back at Dan Olsen's flat earth video as a strong elucidation on the subject - an act of exerting political will. It's a culture war.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I think as a creator, there's a certain sweet spot that you hit when you amass a following like Dan's where a high-effort video about a relevant subject just has *that* much more of a chance of really blowing up and getting to the top of the algorithm. It weirdly feels like levelling up, to go at it from a corny gamified angle. If you look at the video's he's done you see the points where it happens. The time when it feels like suddenly everyone wants to hear what YOU think. It's nice.

We all live for those little "1 of 10" fireworks you get in YT Studio.

(I don't think this is particularly insightful, but hey -- anything to steer away from ghoulish topics)

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Oxxidation posted:

one of the main sources of nfts' staying power has been their incomprehensibility to anyone who's not part of the crypto cult, so a detailed and understandable breakdown of what they are and why they suck is a big deal

tbh I watched this whole video and still don't understand a thing but maybe I'm just a hopeless case

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

macabresca posted:

tbh I watched this whole video and still don't understand a thing but maybe I'm just a hopeless case

they are a fundamentally stupid idea, so any attempt to grasp why people are so into them will eventually run into the wall of asking "but what do they do"

after watching that video I've come to the conclusion that the answer to that question is "allow access to an in group of people, and also allow anyone to run unsigned arbitrary code on your computer for free, with direct access to, essentially, a bank account"

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

one of the main sources of nfts' staying power has been their incomprehensibility to anyone who's not part of the crypto cult, so a detailed and understandable breakdown of what they are and why they suck is a big deal

It is definitely is a testament to the circuitousness of the grift that a feature-length explainer on the subject doesn't feel at all padded.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 31, 2022

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

egg tats posted:

they are a fundamentally stupid idea, so any attempt to grasp why people are so into them will eventually run into the wall of asking "but what do they do"

after watching that video I've come to the conclusion that the answer to that question is "allow access to an in group of people, and also allow anyone to run unsigned arbitrary code on your computer for free, with direct access to, essentially, a bank account"

Yeah, the conclusion I reached was that the weirdos being like "no, you see, it's about The Community!" are technically the least wrong, just not in the sense that they think they mean. Inherently, there's nothing wrong with finding friends and the like via shared interests, good for them I guess, but that also requires that they ignores the... well, literally everything else about it. And also the community is lovely and full of grifters and junk who care about getting your cash and nothing else, so they're still not even within an rear end's roar of being right.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

macabresca posted:

If you just want to understand the scam mechanically and conceptually, this video is nice and short and the "buying a spot in a queue/line that doesn't actually go anywhere and you don't get anything for waiting in it" analogy is a very succinct mental model

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwMjPWOailQ

If you want to understand everything else about the scam yeah that's what the movie-length folding ideas video covers

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 31, 2022

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
If you want a wider breakdown on crypto currencies in general, Barely Sociable goes into how Bitcoin works and the history of it when talking about the mystery behind the identity of its creator Satoshi Nakamoto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kav2K1DVWo

Part 2 of the video is also worth watching if you want to get an idea of the kind of people who have a vested interest in keeping Bitcoin in its current, inefficient, state and why the whole climate around it is incurably corrupt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMWnaR5uJxQ

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
i view crypto/nfts as just gambling for tech bros. trying to grasp it logically like trying to see the logic in howard ratner's actions. it's simply addiction combined with the joe rogan flavored catnip of "if you get into this, you'll be so much smarter than those sheeple!"

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Nuns with Guns posted:

If you want a wider breakdown on crypto currencies in general, Barely Sociable goes into how Bitcoin works and the history of it when talking about the mystery behind the identity of its creator Satoshi Nakamoto:

Part 2 of the video is also worth watching if you want to get an idea of the kind of people who have a vested interest in keeping Bitcoin in its current, inefficient, state and why the whole climate around it is incurably corrupt:

The conclusions he comes to in this video (if true) are great because it basically shows that Bitcoin, the decentralized currency, was shepherded almost from inception to be controlled entirely by one group who have a vested interest in changing very little since they own a large amount of the coin in circulation.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Queer Salutations posted:

The conclusions he comes to in this video (if true) are great because it basically shows that Bitcoin, the decentralized currency, was shepherded almost from inception to be controlled entirely by one group who have a vested interest in changing very little since they own a large amount of the coin in circulation.
He doesn't go into quite enough detail as to what deflationary currency will do long-term, but it basically forces those who don't have it into a debt spiral that is definitionally inescapable as long as deflation persists. I pointed that out back when the bitcoin paper was doing the rounds in college, but I was assured that "it won't matter because that's 150 years away!" so... yeah. Either it's intended to be a scam that collapses or it's intended to become a way to concentrate wealth upwards. There is no third option.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

macabresca posted:

No they're built stupid on purpose. If you tell people that the hot new money laundering scam is to waste 60 hospitals electricity usage a week to construct a link to an ugly picture for people ( a consolidated group of like ~20 people or even less) to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on then it sounds like a cult.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

DoctorWhat posted:

brace yourselves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btv68SAk-oM

jan Misali has made a video about homestuck

this owned and was what i actually wanted out of a homestuck video

misali is quickly becoming one of my fav video creators

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Skippy McPants posted:

Dan's NFT video is kinda blowing up. It's barely been up a week and it's already the most viewed thing on his channel.

It was a really good video, helped explain some poo poo I still didn't understand.

macabresca posted:

Wolf of Wall Street but monkey pictures instead of stocks.

Kaiser Mazoku fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 31, 2022

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

DoctorWhat posted:

brace yourselves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btv68SAk-oM

jan Misali has made a video about homestuck

"It introduces so many of these ideas, and spends so much time explaining them, to the point where it kinda gets in the way of the actual story" lmao yeah that's pretty apt

I appreciate that this video focuses on the weird quirky meta poo poo that got me into Homestuck in the first place. The overall presentation and callbacks are kinda making me wistful for a simpler time in my life :unsmith: which is ironic given how absurdly convoluted the comic was

Edit: christ almighty I forgot just how poorly that one troll ancestor walk-around has aged. Watching him talk about that felt like experiencing the 2012 version of this:
https://twitter.com/CBThorburn/status/1377696492295761923

Blood Nightmaster fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 31, 2022

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

I've never played a King's Quest game, but this dude OneShortEye has been putting out "speedrun history" videos on the series and they're really great stuff, he runs the games himself and there's usually commentary from other runners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tR2ULoUVQ0
Newest one is on King's Quest III.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

hopefully this other homestuck vid creator doesn't also get legal threats and hassled by the crew online for saying something negative about homestuck :(

Blood Nightmaster posted:

Edit: christ almighty I forgot just how poorly that one troll ancestor walk-around has aged. Watching him talk about that felt like experiencing the 2012 version of this:
https://twitter.com/CBThorburn/status/1377696492295761923

was that the one with all the internet stereotypes??

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Booky posted:

was that the one with all the internet stereotypes??

Yeeah, I remember it landing as a funny pisstake of the Tumblr fandom at the time it came out (as somebody whose main exposure to the fandom then was, well, through Tumblr) but there's a lot questionable stuff in there from a 2022 perspective

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

It's kind of funny that we're doing the "it aged poorly" thing when the video that started the discussion has a whole section dedicated to saying "no, it loving sucked then too".

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I think the whole Openbound episode is interesting as an expression of Homestuck's uncertain place in the midst of a cultural transition on the internet. I don't know if Andrew Hussie was a goon back in the day, but he comes out of the same 2000s culture as old-school SomethingAwful did. It was the sort of time where you fired off all manner of slurs and insults to mock the pieties of the real world, but because everyone is operating within their own little shell of irony and (so far as you knew) came from the same economic and cultural strata as you, nobody took it personally. It was a time for great creative projects by weird nerds who got together with other weird nerds to mock the really weird nerds in ways that were as hilarious as they were awful and cruel. That was the culture Andrew Hussie came from, and it was where he made a name for himself with Team Special Olympics and MS Paint Adventures. Homestuck was the project that made it big, but it was created just as that old culture was being replaced by a younger one, as people moved from forums to platforms like Tumblr and Twitter and began to take politics and representation more seriously (while still being incredibly cruel in their own way).

I feel like Hussie has never known how to handle this cultural shift. On the one hand he has wanted to distance himself from his younger edgelord days; one of Caliborn's functions is as a repository of Hussie's more immature shithead impulses, who Hussie fights with/tries to guide in his persona as the comic's narrator. On the other hand, he never really left that old mindset behind; just a few months after Openbound was the "CAUCASIAN/PEACHY" controversy Sarah Z mentioned, where Hussie's attempt to mock the persistent arguments about the races of the kids led to such a furor that Hussie edited the joke out of the comic. In the end, he "resolved" the issue by slowly vanishing from both the comic and the internet itself.

There's also an argument to be had that Openbound as a whole was another expression of Hussie's burnout with Homestuck. Symptoms of this could be seen all the way back in Act 5 Act 2 as the comic increased in scope and Hussie tried to whittle it back down to keep it on track, only for it to keep growing as he tried to reach an ending. By the end he'd pretty much thrown pieces of every work of art he'd created before Homestuck into Homestuck, and still it kept growing. This project he'd only intended to do for a year or two had become an online phenomenon with a whole new fan base, and Hussie found himself abruptly shifting from "some dude with a webcomic" to the head of a business managing artistic collaborators, merchandise, and a potential franchise. Jan doesn't mention it, but Openbound came out around the same time as the infamous Hiveswap kickstarter campaign that netted about US$2 million, and I imagine the stress of another massive new venture was weighing heavily on him. It's no stretch to imagine Openbound as a subconscious howl of rage from Hussie directed at his creation, his audience, and himself for creating this awful loving beast that grew and grew and never ended, which he expressed by forcing himself to create something that his audience will hate that goes on and on and never ends.

Marshal Radisic fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 1, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Marin Karin posted:

i view crypto/nfts as just gambling for tech bros. trying to grasp it logically like trying to see the logic in howard ratner's actions. it's simply addiction combined with the joe rogan flavored catnip of "if you get into this, you'll be so much smarter than those sheeple!"

It's not even gambling, it's a clean-cut pyramid scam. It's why you see so many hot new projects dropping their cool run of hot new NFT's and very little discussion of trading existing NFT's.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

nothin rly to add or disagree with what you wrote, but just as a bit of an aside:

their username comes from the conlang toki pona, so their pseudonym is "misali" (stemming from how their name is written in toki pona) and jan essentially means "person" or "somebody"

so, "the person named misali" essentially! :)

rox fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 1, 2022

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

macabresca posted:

If you've ever known anyone that got pulled into a pyramid scheme and tried to also get you involved, then you have a pretty good idea of what people involved with crypto are like. They're going to get rich one day, they just have to sucker recruit enough people into it while they pay more and more money to the people that recruited them to come out ahead at all, and so on. Except they'll never get rich because they weren't the ones that created the scam in the first place.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

RareAcumen posted:

No they're built stupid on purpose. If you tell people that the hot new money laundering scam is to waste 60 hospitals electricity usage a week to construct a link to an ugly picture for people ( a consolidated group of like ~20 people or even less) to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on then it sounds like a cult.

Star Man posted:

If you've ever known anyone that got pulled into a pyramid scheme and tried to also get you involved, then you have a pretty good idea of what people involved with crypto are like. They're going to get rich one day, they just have to sucker recruit enough people into it while they pay more and more money to the people that recruited them to come out ahead at all, and so on. Except they'll never get rich because they weren't the ones that created the scam in the first place.

That's actually pretty helpful, thanks. And these things might've even been said in the video, I guess it's just easier for me to process text than speech.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Wolf of Wall Street but monkey pictures instead of stocks.

I'll keep that in mind for whenever I watch Wolf of Wall Street :shobon:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Did Dan get a chance to talk about the rise of celebrities buying into them? Like that surreal clip of Paris Hilton and Jimmy Kimmel talking about their apes with dead eyes and in the tones of one who is having their family being threatened at gunpoint? "I picked this ape because he wears sunglasses and I wear sunglasses. And hats."

Everything about the Yacht Club is super racist too, so that's nice.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Marshal Radisic posted:

Insightful words

I think one of the biggest mistakes Hussie made with Homestuck was thematically tying the trolls to zodiac signs: Hussie himself has said, and I think it's fairly obvious from looking back at the plot of the comic, that only a few of the trolls were ever intended to have an actual bearing on the narrative. While thematically tying them to the western zodiac is a reasonably fun little bit of character theming, it also locks you in to making twelve of these characters which just add even more moving parts into the narrative you need to manage. If he'd used something else to base the Trolls around conceptually that let him create fewer trolls I think the story would have been a lot leaner and tighter.

Really, a lot of Homestuck's problems as a narrative can really be traced back to concept bloat: Hussie was constantly throwing a bunch of new characters and plot threads into the mix before the ones he'd previously introduced were resolved which just leads to the story becoming needlessly convoluted and meandering as it spends a bunch of time focusing on plot threads that ultimately don't really matter to the larger storyline and don't end up ever getting resovled.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Apparently some people are upset with F.D. Signifiers most recent podcast collaboration? Does anyone know what that is about, specifically?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

macabresca posted:

I'll keep that in mind for whenever I watch Wolf of Wall Street :shobon:

Just watch this clip to get a general idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJzo5TDfamk

The energy and process is completely the same. Some fast-talking huckster trying to convince you that an old banana peel he pulled out of the trash is the hottest thing on the market and you need to buy it now. The banana peel has no actual value until you buy it for whatever price you've been conned into buying it for, thus creating speculation. You then realize you bought a piece of garbage for a thousand dollars and try to find a bigger idiot than yourself to sell it for two thousand. That bigger idiot also realizes and tries to find an even bigger idiot to sell to for three thousand, etc. etc.

Only difference between stocks and NFTs is that stocks have regulation and oversight, which funnily enough NFT hucksters tout the lack of as a selling point.

Kaiser Mazoku fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 1, 2022

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I can at least sit on my stocks and earn interest on them. Hoarding crypto dosn't earn me anything.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Star Man posted:

I can at least sit on my stocks and earn interest on them. Hoarding crypto dosn't earn me anything.

It earns you the respect of the rest of the Hodlgang

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fil5000 posted:

It earns you the respect of the rest of the Hodlgang
If ever there were a devastating time to drop a Rick and Morty meme this would be it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Regulations are just seen as a bad thing total for some people, despite benefiting from them more than being hurt by them.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

bobjr posted:

Regulations are just seen as a bad thing total for some people, despite benefiting from them more than being hurt by them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvG3DQGdoDk&t=432s

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cosmonaut Variety Hour brings us the next batch of X-Movies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4QOsVDjer8

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Definitely cosigning all of that, it was pretty easy to tell the man had experienced massive burnout at that point and it was filtering through the comic hardcore.

KingKalamari posted:

Really, a lot of Homestuck's problems as a narrative can really be traced back to concept bloat: Hussie was constantly throwing a bunch of new characters and plot threads into the mix before the ones he'd previously introduced were resolved which just leads to the story becoming needlessly convoluted and meandering as it spends a bunch of time focusing on plot threads that ultimately don't really matter to the larger storyline and don't end up ever getting resolved.

Yeah it basically got to "long running shonen manga" levels of untenable. Like I know I technically finished the thing but my memory of nearly the entire back third is totally blanked out for this reason

Frankly if nothing else I'm glad it was a thing at all because we very likely wouldn't have had Undertale without it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I love how his off the cuff song was better than the one he was listening to.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I love how his off the cuff song was better than the one he was listening to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XnyS0C8g9c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
This is the same guy that did the Superbowl-style spoof on which Lenny Kravitz song was more terrible, right?

fake edit: oh yes, here we go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--rBP8_QuwI