Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Giant Ethicist posted:

She is reliably to be found masturbating in a bog minutes outside of town.

Who amongst us...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

TheHan posted:

no más. I’m tapping out.

Mookie has managed to become more tedious than his loving road trip arc good god

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Mookie I implore you to start taking notes. Use the free word processor on your computer, index cards, sticky notes, ANYTHING so you don't keep doing this poo poo. A checklist with a few words can work. No one cares that you want to "keep yourself surprised" or whatever. Having a coherent story that actually progresses would be a surprise

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

MOOKIE posted:

Another goddamn loving recap

Fuuuuuuuuuuckkkkk youuuuuuu mooooooooooookieeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Mookie has managed to become more tedious than his loving road trip arc good god

but that horrible arc brought us the snout fucks arc, which is either a sign we need to hold strong or give up months ago

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

but that horrible arc brought us the snout fucks arc, which is either a sign we need to hold strong or give up months ago

I'm pretty sure Mookie is delivering exactly what we want and expect

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Snout seeks out the Chandrak, who fucks him and lets him know he needs to find Luna. Snout goes and reads a book, and wonders if he needs to find Luna. He figures that the Chandrak can tell him where Luna is, so he seeks her out. The Chandrak fucks Snout and tells him he needs to find Luna. Snout goes...

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Snout met the Chandrak, and had a vision that said "Luna".

Snout went back and hosed the Chandrak, and then had a dream that said "Luna".

Snout had a dream where the Chandrak told him to seek Luna.

Snout woke up and said, "Hmm, where do I find Luna? I think I'll ask the Chandrak."

:suicide:

Note that he isn't even saying he's going to ask the chandak, but thinking about whether he should. It gets worse when you realize that he did the same thing earlier, where he didn't actually resolve to look for answers to any of his questions about Luna, but simply wondered about her before getting distracted by how good vegan food was, at which point the chandak texted to point him to the answer. He's not even making it as far as deciding to try, anymore.

I'm just completely exasperated at this. It's all recursion and redundance; stalling and avoidance.

Emrikol fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 31, 2022

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Not that it would make the most recent comic good but it would be better at least if Snout just said "I'm going to go to the chandak and ask about Luna." It would show Snout has at least a basic level of intelligence to say "Oh maybe the woman who literally showed me a vision about Luna is a good person to ask about Luna" as well as him showing actual motivation to do something. Snout usually just gets dragged around passively, so just having him say "I will do a thing" would make him an active participant in his own quest (what little "quest" there is anyway). It seems like the only time Snout does things on his own is when it ultimately doesn't matter (like him getting fishing rods to take everyone else fishing).

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Maybe if he had loving ASKED HER ABOUT WHERE TO FIND LUNA THE LAST 3 TIMES HE SAW HER

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Almost makes all this poo poo worth it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

:pusheen:

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
what on earth is the source for this

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

FlocksOfMice posted:

what on earth is the source for this
Dewey Dawner. I think it was done by a goon in a long-ago newspaper comics thread.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Christ. Very good.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

you've still progressed the plot more than mooks does in any given week

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Maybe if he had loving ASKED HER ABOUT WHERE TO FIND LUNA THE LAST 3 TIMES HE SAW HER

Now now, it's not like she's a member of a species/culture that reveres Luna as a sacred figure. For that matter, it's not like Snout is in a town full of orcs who presumably share the same reverence for this person!

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Oh, yes.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Love it

Roman Reigns posted:

Mookie I implore you to start taking notes. Use the free word processor on your computer, index cards, sticky notes, ANYTHING so you don't keep doing this poo poo. A checklist with a few words can work. No one cares that you want to "keep yourself surprised" or whatever. Having a coherent story that actually progresses would be a surprise

The whole make-it-up-as-you-go thing seems like a perfectly fine way to write the first draft of a story, but it so clearly doesn't work the way he wants it to. Like I've heard plenty of writers say they like to start with a basic premise and let the characters take the story wherever it goes, but they aren't usually releasing each page as they write it.

For the sake of saying something positive, I think the idea with the book shifting into the author just casually talking to the reader was supposed to be in Snout's dream, rather than actually being written in the book, and I admit I kind of like the idea of a book on lucid dreaming that's designed to bore you to sleep since falling asleep is the first step in having a dream. That could be a cute or funny detail in a better story.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Oh that's very funny. What do you use for shops like this? The title and graphic look just like the actual thing.

A shame it was cut short before the second arc where he looks for a gift for his aunt

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
How is he so bad at writing? How does he not remember this already happened?
Goon upthread said that Mookie HAD to like making comics to keep at it despite not growing at all and not meeting his patreon quota to actually do the strip but I disagree. Mookie loving hates making comics but he cannot imagine not being known as a comics guy

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Calaveron posted:

How is he so bad at writing? How does he not remember this already happened?
Goon upthread said that Mookie HAD to like making comics to keep at it despite not growing at all and not meeting his patreon quota to actually do the strip but I disagree. Mookie loving hates making comics but he cannot imagine not being known as a comics guy

I think he likes making comics, he's just doing an even worse job with this one. Turning Snout into a passive soft boy means he can't do anything proactive and has to have things happen to solve the plot for him. When that doesn't occur Mookie just spins the wheels of the story over and over again. Maybe it's because it's been over two years (!) since the comic started but I swear things happened faster then.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Invisible Clergy posted:

Oh that's very funny. What do you use for shops like this? The title and graphic look just like the actual thing.
The logo's just a copy of the one in the Dewey Dawner strip--covered the existing logo with the off-green colour of the bricks/background, drew a yellow oval roughly the same size, added a black outline, then added "Dominic Deegan" in red using the SF Comic Script font, 2 px black outline around the red text, a copy of the black text slightly offset as a drop shadow, merge the text layers, rotate slightly, done.

I apparently hosed up either a selection or layer ordering at some point because there's weird artifacting around the A in "Deegan" but I didn't bother saving anything so I can't check what the problem was.

The rest of the "work" was just rectangle or lasso selecting the existing text and filling in with the background colour and then adding new text using Blambot's Digital Strip font.

Did it all in gimp because lol but you could use pretty much image editor because it's all extremely basic poo poo that even schmucks like me who know next to nothing about image editing can handle.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Good to know, thanks! When I'm making stuff like this, I usually use pixlr. I don't know all the tools yet so they don't turn out as clean looking. I'm still figuring out basic stuff like the magic wand to erase stuff on one layer revealing the one behind it so i can put a crab's head on Gregory Peck's body (Crabicus Pinch) but the more stupid the joke, I feel like it's funnier if it looks really good.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

ScienceSeagull posted:

Now now, it's not like she's a member of a species/culture that reveres Luna as a sacred figure. For that matter, it's not like Snout is in a town full of orcs who presumably share the same reverence for this person!

One of Snout's friends is also an orc.

Heliotrope posted:

I think he likes making comics, he's just doing an even worse job with this one.

I think Mookie likes making comics like my mom's friend likes doing puzzles. She has a puzzle on a table with the pieces lying beside it. She doesn't actually sit there for any length of time figuring out the puzzle, she just will try a couple of pieces when she walks by it for a few seconds on her way to do other things. The puzzle will eventually be completed, and she's having a good time doing it, but she isn't investing any time in it or making any effort to complete it.

Mookie's the same way. I feel like he doesn't even think about Legacy until he sits down at his computer and goes "Oh yeah, I gotta make a new page today," shits one out in fifteen minutes, then goes on to play video games or watch Youtube videos or whatever. It doesn't mean he's not having fun making it, it's just that he doesn't want to spend any time on it or focus on it. He can't even bother to look up what he's already done, which is why we have Snout doing the exact same loving thing he already did before, just like how my mom's friend might mess with a puzzle piece she already messed with the day before, she just doesn't remember.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Hostile V posted:

Anyway, wheel-spinning in case you didn't get the symbolism/metaphors/text.

The idea that the gibberish word salad in the book is more of a ritual chant to help you lucid dream is kind of an interesting one

I know that's not quite what Mookie means here, though

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Medenmath posted:

The whole make-it-up-as-you-go thing seems like a perfectly fine way to write the first draft of a story, but it so clearly doesn't work the way he wants it to. Like I've heard plenty of writers say they like to start with a basic premise and let the characters take the story wherever it goes, but they aren't usually releasing each page as they write it.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he's also just bad at it. Like, improvising your plot is obviously never ideal compared to properly planning and writing a story, full stop, but plenty of (off the top of my head) manga artists have had to pull whole arcs and characters out of their asses with far less boring results. I've been writing by the seat of my pants for years now (over a decade, arguably) and the outcome's been mixed--sometimes confusing, often ugly, but Jesus Christ never so meandering or repetitive.

I really, seriously don't know how someone gets stuck in a recap loop without just, I don't know, being entirely devoid of ideas or investment. Even just having characters idly gently caress around should have something to it if the writer has anything so say with or about those characters. Dude's not just carving the path as he goes, he's also doing it with no compass and no destination in mind so he just ends up going in circles.

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 1, 2022

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

loving lol

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

If Mookie did the cliche stuck writer thing and have ninjas come out of nowhere to beat up Snout and steal the book it would be infinitely better than the Mariana Trench like rut he is stuck in now.

Honestly I think he's forgotten he had the Redactor and that monk as antagonists. The only antagonist now is the Challenges Symbol.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Baller Ina posted:

The idea that the gibberish word salad in the book is more of a ritual chant to help you lucid dream is kind of an interesting one

That...

...is actually a pretty funny idea, yeah.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
It took a year and a half to get to the library, they spent three weeks at the library, then left and spent another three weeks traveling to a remote harbor town where they've been for the last five months, trapped in an interminable loop of redundant visions, recaps, and assorted frittering. We don't know why they did this. That they did it to test themselves emotionally was just our brains extrapolating a line about needing to toughen up backwards as a motive to try and make sense of something. No explanation has been given for this entire trip.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Snout needed to get laid

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Emrikol posted:

It took a year and a half to get to the library, they spent three weeks at the library, then left and spent another three weeks traveling to a remote harbor town where they've been for the last five months, trapped in an interminable loop of redundant visions, recaps, and assorted frittering. We don't know why they did this. That they did it to test themselves emotionally was just our brains extrapolating a line about needing to toughen up backwards as a motive to try and make sense of something. No explanation has been given for this entire trip.

Wait, it's been how long since the library?

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

super sweet best pal posted:

Wait, it's been how long since the library?

Six and a half months. I didn't include the time between leaving the library and leaving Aktu Hold.

Emrikol fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 1, 2022

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I'm losing my mind a bit I didn't realize it's been that long :tinfoil:

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
It's like he's starving us out

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Update:

Nothing happens.

That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Also: "rejoin"?

End of last chapter everyone was gathered around the dinner table when unnamed chandak lady sends them instructions on how to reveal the invisible ink in the Asinotaph book.

Start of this chapter is Snout reading the Asinotaph book.