Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

Wherever you are you get far fancier Amazon packaging than I do :smith:

What country do you live in?

Amazon's minimum requirement for their shipping containers in the US is an RSC box(which would be containerboard) with a "B" flute and a minimum 32 edge crush test with 200 lbs burst test. One of the main customers our client's had was Amazon, and often our machine would produce 400,000 boxes a day to the Amazon spec, so we often did our initial run in tests and calibrations based on those orders and their requirements. In fact I inspect every Amazon package I get to see if it could have come from a machine I have installed.

Edit: I could realize this is a comment about Amazon's more frequent use of their bubble mailers, which are not very good.

IncredibleIgloo fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Class Warcraft posted:

This is kind of random but: does anyone have a credit card recommendation that has rewards that might be handy for a tabletop wargamer?

I've been using my Amazon Prime card which gives 5% back on Amazon, but I'm thinking of cancelling it since I don't use Amazon much anymore and they have poor selection/prices for minis.

I don't use credit, but don't a bunch these days offer cashback and/or gift cards in the form of those prepaid credit cards?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

IncredibleIgloo posted:

What country do you live in?

Amazon's minimum requirement for their shipping containers in the US is an RSC box(which would be containerboard) with a "B" flute and a minimum 32 edge crush test with 200 lbs burst test. One of the main customers our client's had was Amazon, and often our machine would produce 400,000 boxes a day to the Amazon spec, so we often did our initial run in tests and calibrations based on those orders and their requirements. In fact I inspect every Amazon package I get to see if it could have come from a machine I have installed.

Edit: I could realize this is a comment about Amazon's more frequent use of their bubble mailers, which are not very good.
I'm in the UK now, but Ireland was drawing from the same warehouses. Usually pretty thin non-corrugated card is used for smaller packages, and lovely thin corrugated card for the bigger ones. It tears depressingly easily, which is probably a function of how Amazon likes to send them mostly empty.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Ahhh, I don't know much about packaging in Europe I am afraid, and I am sorry to hear that it was not very good. Mitsubishi Heavy Industries has distinct corporate divisions and I did not have the chance to interact with Europe at all while I was with MHI-America.

As for the credit card;
Maybe keep the Amazon card as it is still useful for buying spray paints and some hobby supplies, unless the 5% is only for Amazon first party purchases. I looked and Amazon has a lot of Army Painter stuff available, although most of it is from 3rd party sellers. I don't think you will find any co-branded cards that are explicitly useful for miniatures, but I do recommend grabbing a co-branded card for something you enjoy. I used the Delta Amex Reserve because it had a bunch of great travel perks , in addition to having a beautiful purple color (I downgraded to Platinum during covid because the Reserve has a $550/yr fee), but there is probably a good match for you out there somewhere, albeit most cards are geared towards travel or cash back.

If you get gas exclusively at Costco and shop at Costco frequently their card would put the most money back in your pocket I would guess. The benefits to the Amazon and Costco cards are no annual fees. Most of the other co-brands have annual fees.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I mainly use my card to buy food/groceries and hobby stuff. I don't carry a balance on the card, so APR isn't a big deal. I'm just mainly looking for something with a good cashback reward system, since with my Amazon card I can ONLY use the points on Amazon and I can hardly ever find anything I want on there.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I don't use credit, but don't a bunch these days offer cashback and/or gift cards in the form of those prepaid credit cards?

That would be nice. I'll have to see if I can find one.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Class Warcraft posted:

I mainly use my card to buy food/groceries and hobby stuff. I don't carry a balance on the card, so APR isn't a big deal. I'm just mainly looking for something with a good cashback reward system, since with my Amazon card I can ONLY use the points on Amazon and I can hardly ever find anything I want on there.

That would be nice. I'll have to see if I can find one.

Super pro-tip: If your work lets you use a personal card for your expenses and reimburses you in a timely manner, that can be an amazingly good deal. When I use to travel for work I would always use my Delta Amex and it was an amazing way to ring up the points super fast. When I worked for Mitsubishi I had a basic no frills rewards card that was BofA that I used for all the non-flight related business expenses and at the end of the year I was able to trade in all the rewards points for about $2,500 in Amazon gift cards, albeit that year I had spent upwards of 40K on hotel rooms alone.

Perhaps a local credit union might have the best deal for you though? I have heard good things about credit unions.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
It's good advice, if you are religious about paying your balance every month a good cash-back card is essentially free money for living your life normally. I even harassed my landlord into taking CC payments so I could get that rent on there every month. Depending on the card you can either have the balance pay off a statement (boring), use it for whatever reward system they have (complicated and sometimes pointless as the Amazon one shows or you don't travel much), or just get a drat check. It's a "life hack" I'm amazed more people don't do.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

SERPUS posted:

I picked up the rules for Song of Drum and Shakos, skirmish rules for Napoleonics from Ganesha Games. I think this will sate my small group for a while, but what we are really looking for are some "Kill Team"-esque rules that we can use with our 28mm Black Powder minis. What we have in mind is a roster of 10-odd "regulars" and a sergeant, where 4-5 of them will enter a small scale mission or skirmish within a larger campaign. Any ideas?
You might want to look at "Forager," as it sounds like exactly what you're looking for.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/standtogames/forager-tabletop-napoleonic-skirmish-game-stand-to

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

SERPUS posted:

I picked up the rules for Song of Drum and Shakos, skirmish rules for Napoleonics from Ganesha Games. I think this will sate my small group for a while, but what we are really looking for are some "Kill Team"-esque rules that we can use with our 28mm Black Powder minis. What we have in mind is a roster of 10-odd "regulars" and a sergeant, where 4-5 of them will enter a small scale mission or skirmish within a larger campaign. Any ideas?

If you're willing to go just a little bit bigger (30 or so models) Muskets & Tomahawks is excellent for Napoleonic skirmish gaming.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey I wanna do an IL2- inspired paint job for a sci-fi mini, are there any good guides on how to do their camo patterns that don't involve an airbrush?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

If you mean the plane then it looks like a more angular version of the soviet amoeba camo scheme, which there are plenty of painting guides for.

Edit: never mind they’re not as close as I remembered.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 31, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A quick google tells me that there were many schemes, so the best thing to do is post a picture of the one you mean.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Good pick though, since IL-2s are sexy planes with many good camo schemes!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

A quick google tells me that there were many schemes, so the best thing to do is post a picture of the one you mean.

Something like this- I'm just a little worried about getting the shapes and edges of the camo to look right

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Just draw the outlines with a pencil. It'll work fine.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Oil paints are great for brush painting camo since mistakes are easy to correct. You just need patience, since every layer is going to take several days to dry at least before you can varnish it and start on the next one.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Captain Theron posted:

Well, it took me a few months, a lockdown and having a kid, but I finally finished off my Black Seas starter set!

Rigging them took forever but looks great in person. The acetate ratlines are way too fiddly to be worth it as there's basically no surface area to attach them to the masts so I gave up after doing the frigates.
Hopefully I will actually get to use them this week!

Very late, but I was catching up and wanted to ask, is that paint/brush etc. holder something that's available online?

moths posted:

This showed up on my FB feed and I want it all right now.

Just quoting this for future reference...

Arquinsiel posted:

I've seen people talk about that with the Sd.Kfz. 265 Panzerbefehlswagen in Flames of War but there's silliness there due to how that game handled vehicle mounted MGs and early-war MG only tanks.

What was the special rule for early war MG carriers? Did it turn the command tank into an anti-infantry chainsaw?

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Very late, but I was catching up and wanted to ask, is that paint/brush etc. holder something that's available online?

It is! They're an Australian company though, so I don't know how much shipping would be if you're overseas. It does come flat-pack, so hopefully not that much?
It's this one, which you can customise as well.
They've also licensed an American company to produce them if that's closer to you.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

StashAugustine posted:

Hey I wanna do an IL2- inspired paint job for a sci-fi mini, are there any good guides on how to do their camo patterns that don't involve an airbrush?

The USSR loved its IL-2s and they got a wide variety of camo jobs, but officially, and modified. They could be plain green just as they could be tri/quad-color patterns. You had summer and winter themes, you had slogans, and there are a variety of things you can do to add some flair to your plane

want it to look like it was repaired? Add a different color to the entire scheme to the part in question - make it look like a replacement part on your car's (bumper)

and even the undersides of the plane are important - Part of a VVS anti-shipping squadron? You might want some blue tones instead of green/dark gray some went with a very light blue, see above, others were more muted, or gray

There's also, iirc, a sort of pre-defined style/form to the camo pattern, similar to the... well everyone

Whether its Spitfires, Jacks, Butcher Birds, or otherwise, they had templates to work off of, so if you enjoy the particular "wave" or shapes one camo does, copy that and simply change up the colors, or add your personal flair to it

Years ago I created a batch of "Swatches" for photoshop that included as many of the "official" colors as I could find. Im sure compression doesn't help, but if you can get somewhere in the order near to those colors, regardless of the variety or lack thereof, you'll be fine paint ages and weathers in the air and on the ground, so 1-1 isn't something to worry about

also if you're adding poo poo like Stars and certain insignia and you want to be more accurate, you have to look up when markings changed over stuff like the large Red Star with Thick White border wasn't always in place or were interchangeable with Red Star and Thin Black border or no border

(the obvious game screenshots are only to illustrate some colour mixes, not real-life camo jobs)

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 2, 2022

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Go wild with brushing. You can use masking tape to get good, clean lines, or you can just do it without the assistance. Having a "sloppy" paintjob isn't a bad thing, and not all patterns adhered to strict lines.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So I just got 5 kilo's of 13.2mm Napoleonic armies (British, French and Le Haye Sainte). Reminds me when my brother got SPACE MARINE the original Epic scale boxed set of 6mm Space Marines, Rhino's, Land Raiders and buildings - it kicked of near 20 years of playing GW games. Sadly, Warlord hasn't added a tutorial mission pack so you can start small and work your way up to a full corps level battle - trying to read the A5 rulebook isn't as easy as reading a much better (if otherwise simpler game) like an A4 Oathmark manual.

For some reason the French box wasn't shrink rapped, hope it's not missing anything.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

What was the special rule for early war MG carriers? Did it turn the command tank into an anti-infantry chainsaw?
It would just look like they had no guns at all on the statline, because there was no gun entry, just a special rule that said "Hull MG" and people forgot that tanks firing MG only still rolled 3 dice +1 per bonus MG. It's the kind of thing that only happens when people are being silly and min-maxing for tournaments TBH.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
What made cheap early war MG carrying tanks so good in FoW, especially in the beginning of the releases for Early War was that they could largely assault infantry with impunity(infantry AT stands were quite rare) and AT guns were quite pricey. It's less the armament itself than the dirt cheap cost and environment they drove into. They had to sticker-nerf the British Armored Regiment, it was so bad.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Comstar posted:

So I just got 5 kilo's of 13.2mm Napoleonic armies (British, French and Le Haye Sainte). Reminds me when my brother got SPACE MARINE the original Epic scale boxed set of 6mm Space Marines, Rhino's, Land Raiders and buildings - it kicked of near 20 years of playing GW games.

I too am really enjoying purchasing napoleonics by weight and I’m really glad warlord included rules for the french land raiders at Waterloo, if Ney had land raider crusaders though it would have been a really different battle. All those lascannon shots do jack poo poo to an infantry square.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Panzeh posted:

What made cheap early war MG carrying tanks so good in FoW, especially in the beginning of the releases for Early War was that they could largely assault infantry with impunity(infantry AT stands were quite rare) and AT guns were quite pricey. It's less the armament itself than the dirt cheap cost and environment they drove into. They had to sticker-nerf the British Armored Regiment, it was so bad.
I was toying with the idea of building a Mk. VI Light tank list before I stopped playing. They're teeny-tiny little things and it's just funny to watch them remove platoons.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Arquinsiel posted:

I was toying with the idea of building a Mk. VI Light tank list before I stopped playing. They're teeny-tiny little things and it's just funny to watch them remove platoons.

I have a Pz 38(t) swarm for my bad guys, they're great fun to play.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cessna posted:

I have a Pz 38(t) swarm for my bad guys, they're great fun to play.
I have one of those too, but they didn't do great in their fer outings. They're also way less swarmey that the Mk. VI.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

lenoon posted:

if Ney had land raider crusaders though it would have been a really different battle. All those lascannon shots do jack poo poo to an infantry square.

If Ney had had Land Raiders at Waterloo, he still would have committed that charge at the wrong time.

My point was, the original Space Marine box was an entire army(s) in a box, with terrain AND a detailed tutorial and mission guide that took you through learning each part of the game. Something that Epic Scale Black Powder dearly lacks. Doing the same for Waterloo would be a great introduction by doing little parts of the battle.

Hmm, maybe I should do a Kickstarter for it.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Comstar posted:

If Ney had had Land Raiders at Waterloo, he still would have committed that charge at the wrong time.

My point was, the original Space Marine box was an entire army(s) in a box, with terrain AND a detailed tutorial and mission guide that took you through learning each part of the game. Something that Epic Scale Black Powder dearly lacks. Doing the same for Waterloo would be a great introduction by doing little parts of the battle.

Hmm, maybe I should do a Kickstarter for it.

A scenario pack where you start with some smaller pure infantry skirmishes and then escalate by adding artillery, cavalry, larger formations, reinforcements arriving during the game etc. as you go sounds like a fun idea.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

That would be rad - it’s even doable within the context of the hundred days. Seems like a massive oversight

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

hey just wanted to say thanks for this post!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

StashAugustine posted:

hey just wanted to say thanks for this post!

I noticed one of my images from discord doesn't always load here so here it is again, re-uploaded to imgur.

Compressed colours the Soviets used during WW2, if that helps you.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Speaking of camo schemes on planes, I'm working on an Airfix 148 scale Ju-87B Stuka right now. This is pre-oil-wash:

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Since seeing that I’ve been desperately resisting the urge to get a big, big plane. Or maybe a balloon. Something at a nice fat scale.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Go wild with brushing. You can use masking tape to get good, clean lines, or you can just do it without the assistance. Having a "sloppy" paintjob isn't a bad thing, and not all patterns adhered to strict lines.

Keep in mind that everyone's cammo patterns were often applied by green, service troops at front-line bases with whatever colors they could mix up with what they had on hand for paint. Even with solid colors, you'd be lucky to get two planes with the same paint scheme. And then someone goes and pulls a wing off a wreck and sticks it on another bird and who has time to re-paint if they even think about it ?

lenoon posted:

Since seeing that I’ve been desperately resisting the urge to get a big, big plane. Or maybe a balloon. Something at a nice fat scale.

Maybe a small scale ? 1/144 aircraft are cheap and easy to paint. The tradeoff for assembly is you get fewer pieces to deal with, but they'll be smaller. For pricing, Zvezda does accurate, but low detail models for $5-$9, other manufacturers add more value, and pieces, and detail and run up to usually $20 as the high end (I think I paid $25 for a resin kit with stencils, decals, and lots of parts).

Go small !

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I mean that is just gorgeous. Maybe a large scale plane that drops smaller scale planes, how many 1:1250 gloster meteors could I fit in the bomb bay of a 1:24 Lancaster

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

lenoon posted:

I have a German WW2 glider plane (DFS-230A) in the attic, in 1:48, still waiting to be built and painted for the club's Fallschirmjäger platoons.

The wingspan would be just short of half a metre when built. :P

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 3, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Build it as a wreck. That's the only way those things ever see the table anyway :v:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I got into Bolt Action because, well, that's what everyone here in Copenhagen (who don't play FoW) plays. However, someone on the milhist discord turned me on to Too Fat Lardies' Chain of Command, which I think looks pretty good.

Anyone tried it and can comment on how it stacks up to Bolt Action, or what they think about it in general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Tias posted:

I got into Bolt Action because, well, that's what everyone here in Copenhagen (who don't play FoW) plays. However, someone on the milhist discord turned me on to Too Fat Lardies' Chain of Command, which I think looks pretty good.

Anyone tried it and can comment on how it stacks up to Bolt Action, or what they think about it in general?

I've painted up... maybe 8-9 platoons for our club's CoC games. I've lost count at this point. We use CoC as our main WW2 game. It has a few flaws and some odd bits (anti-tank flamethrowers and mortars comes to mind), but nothing that can't be fixed with a few house rules*. In return you get a game that puts a lot more emphasis on command and control, risk management and where you're pretty much forced to think a bit more like an actual platoon commander.

The main house rule we use: stop "double phases" after the first one, as it can break the game completely. We introduced this after the first game where three double rounds in a row meant that the game was decided before it began. It might be historically accurate to somtimes get completely overrun before you notice, but that doesn't mean it's fun. If we roll double (or more) sixes on a double turn, we treat them as 5's instead.

For more house rules shenanigans such as more variety in national characteristics, a revamped off-table mortar system and alternative lists for North Africa, we made a Gazala sourcebook with some stuff you can try:

https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/rules--downloads.html

E: To sum it up for me: IMHO Rich who runs TFL is a genius at making rules engines, a bit careless when balancing stuff, not the best at editing books and very bad at making good, interesting scenarios. Approach CoC with those things in mind, and you'll get more out of it. Don't hesitate to fidget around with it if you find something that sounds weird - it has not gotten the second edition it well deserves, and several of the scenarios in the book tends to make the game play WORSE than playing without scenarios.

Most notoriously the first scenario is the one that is the worst at showing the strengths of the system, as it pits two equal sides against each other with no incentives for either side to attack. So it tends to end with a bunch of platoons in heavy cover shooting at each other.

Many scenarios in Sharp Practice is equally pants and I wonder if anyone even played them once before they were put in the book.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 3, 2022