Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Getting angry if “algorithms” control things but then also getting angry if you are asked to control things.

A soil sensor with a cutoff point to end a cycle is a very broad definition of "algorithms".

This also doesn't require attaching it to the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

quarantinethepast posted:

I imagine all of you have received spam calls at one time or another. Where do they get their information from and is it possible some of the big name tech companies are giving our info to them?

I just bought something for my mom on Amazon and sent it to her address, and 2 days later she gets a phishing call apparently trying to get access to my Amazon account. Perhaps it's just a coincidence, but I wonder if either Amazon or the 3rd party seller gave info to the spam caller.

It's entirely possible. But there are a gently caress ton of sources that harvest numbers. So Amazon could be selling your grandmother poo poo, or she called a 1-800 number using ANI. She could have put it on a form. Or the robocaller dialed her randomly and she picked up. Basically phone numbers may be the single most leaky bit of information out there.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Motronic posted:

A soil sensor with a cutoff point to end a cycle is a very broad definition of "algorithms".

This also doesn't require attaching it to the internet.

I think you will find that is exactly what an algorithm is and all the people that were trying to make you think it was something else were just trying to scare you

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

We must secure an existence for our wifi dishwashers

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Invalid Validation posted:

We got a new fridge a couple months back and it hooks up to Wi-Fi. It’s mostly useless but it’ll dynamically change the temperature to suit the temperature outside. It keeps ice cream soft enough to scoop easily. I guess it kinda makes sense for it if you squint hard enough.

You don't need WiFi to do that. An external temp sensor would accomplish that more accurately and wouldn't break if Amazon has an outage or the weather API changes.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tuxedo Gin posted:

You don't need WiFi to do that. An external temp sensor would accomplish that more accurately and wouldn't break if Amazon has an outage or the weather API changes.

How poorly temperature controlled does your house need to be that your fridge needs outside weather information to keep up?

I've never experienced such a thing.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

To be fair, a lot of people can't afford to live in modern well insulated construction with central heating/air and multi-pane windows.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

I imagine all of you have received spam calls at one time or another. Where do they get their information from and is it possible some of the big name tech companies are giving our info to them?

Your phone's service provider/Google straight up selling the customer info to anyone that wants it. :fuckoff:

Also account info from various website hacks.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Motronic posted:

How poorly temperature controlled does your house need to be that your fridge needs outside weather information to keep up?

I've never experienced such a thing.
My parents have a fridge in their garage (in addition to one inside the house) which will end up way colder than desired if it’s cold enough outside. I think they’ve just been leaving it off during the winter though, since half the reason they have it there is for easier cold drink access during the summer.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Sometimes they're directly from national do not call lists. Otherwise, if they're not just robodialing every possible number, it could be that you were re-assigned a previously used number that's already on various lists.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tuxedo Gin posted:

To be fair, a lot of people can't afford to live in modern well insulated construction with central heating/air and multi-pane windows.

You don't need that to keep a fridge working properly. We're not talking about double pane windows and well insulated. We're talking "walls, windows and a basic level of heat that would be considered safe for habitation".

Elysiume posted:

My parents have a fridge in their garage (in addition to one inside the house) which will end up way colder than desired if it’s cold enough outside. I think they’ve just been leaving it off during the winter though, since half the reason they have it there is for easier cold drink access during the summer.

Yes, exactly this. There is no software to solve this problem whether its connected to the cloud or not. Unless you're buying equipment meant to be operated in an unconditioned space. Which also exists and has for a very long time. It does not require wifi to work. Or even an external temperature sensor.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I just bought something for my mom on Amazon and sent it to her address, and 2 days later she gets a phishing call apparently trying to get access to my Amazon account. Perhaps it's just a coincidence, but I wonder if either Amazon or the 3rd party seller gave info to the spam caller.

Why would someone pay Amazon for this information when they could just spam every number for free?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Jose Valasquez posted:

Why would someone pay Amazon for this information when they could just spam every number for free?

That's true, and supports my idea that it was a mere coincidence.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
I bought a new oven range last year (it's remarkably hard to find one with regular buttons anymore, you have to go to premium brands to avoid touchscreen controls), and it came with Wifi, with an app/smart home integration.

Unfortunately the one use case I might see for it - preheating the oven while you're on your way home - is explicitly disallowed because you have to go and push a button on the oven before it will let you turn it on via wifi (and the button resets itself whenever you do anything, so you can't just push it once and forget it).

Presumably this is where the engineer's dreams of smart appliances meet the lawyer's worries of unattended ovens and hackers.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Hobnob posted:

Presumably this is where the engineer's dreams of smart appliances meet the lawyer's worries of unattended ovens and hackers.

It's where the engineer's dreams meet the business people's product differentiation requirements.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

gonna say its a good thing that your oven can't be turned on without you physically touching a button. that sounds like a very practical safety feature.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Stexils posted:

gonna say its a good thing that your oven can't be turned on without you physically touching a button. that sounds like a very practical safety feature.

What if it can't be turned off without an update after you let your toddler crawl in there and accidentally turned it to 750 degrees

Jose Valasquez posted:

I will say that I have made car loan apps and instantly had a call from CC companies right after hitting the apply button. Like I mean within the time it took the page to load I was getting a call

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

What if it can't be turned off without an update after you let your toddler crawl in there and accidentally turned it to 750 degrees

Do the ovens lock now?

Are you having your stay at home alone toddler press the oven button for you so you can get the heating started before you get home?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I know it’s jokey jokes for toasters to have Bluetooth but the real reason is to sell your info, we all know this right?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I see, but this same person is in the market for a fridge that charges a 1.5-2x premium for this "feature"?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

HelloSailorSign posted:

Do the ovens lock now?

Are you having your stay at home alone toddler press the oven button for you so you can get the heating started before you get home?

My toddler works from home

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I connected my dishwasher to Wi-Fi thinking I could tweak obscure settings, such as drying agent amounts. Nope, just the same controls that are on the front, without even differentiating by model. Garbage

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Why isn't my dishwasher on the blockchain yet? What if I neex to trustlessly prove that my dishes were washed?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

TraderStav posted:

I see, but this same person is in the market for a fridge that charges a 1.5-2x premium for this "feature"?

Shockingly, even premium appliances are cheaper than houses and housing in many markets. Even poor people have smartphones.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Lone Badger posted:

Why isn't my dishwasher on the blockchain yet? What if I neex to trustlessly prove that my dishes were washed?
Proof Of Sparkle

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Shockingly, even premium appliances are cheaper than houses and housing in many markets. Even poor people have smartphones.

Okay this argument is going nowhere, but the initial fridge is still a stupid use of WiFi. It doesn't need to check the internet to find out the outside temperature, the fridge just needs another thermometer on the outside of itself. That's it, no wifi. The temperature outside the house doesn't matter, only the temp inside the house and inside the fridge.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

ianmacdo posted:

Okay this argument is going nowhere, but the initial fridge is still a stupid use of WiFi. It doesn't need to check the internet to find out the outside temperature, the fridge just needs another thermometer on the outside of itself. That's it, no wifi. The temperature outside the house doesn't matter, only the temp inside the house and inside the fridge.

I 100% agree with that. Absolutely stupid use of WiFi.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The UI for all this poo poo is always much worse than you can imagine.

Also security. It's literally Battle Network where your oven can be hacked and burn the house down.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Remulak posted:

I connected my dishwasher to Wi-Fi thinking I could tweak obscure settings, such as drying agent amounts. Nope, just the same controls that are on the front, without even differentiating by model. Garbage

Your dishwasher should have a dial within the rinse aid compartment that controls the amount that is released.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
lol that any 'smart' features would be anything but a 1 buck arm cortex bolted on the front of the apartment grade models

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Once again, Reddit shows us the way:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LongmontPotionCastle/comments/sh7byt/nfts_sound_like_something_from_a_lpc_prank_call/

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/01/tesla-to-recall-nearly-54000-vehicles-that-may-disobey-stop-signs.html

quote:

Tesla will recall 53,822 U.S. vehicles with the company’s Full Self-Driving (Beta) software that may allow some models to conduct “rolling stops” and not come to a complete stop at some intersections posing a safety risk.

Who could have predicted such an outcome? I mean, other than a few brain-poisoned posters here.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It is actually kind of shocking that the rolling stop "feature" actually works as intended (does it?).

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
What do you want to bet Musk & crew made it "work" at red lights too

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

These kind of stories always worry me a bit because I live near Boston, which has the worst ratio of "techbros who would buy a Tesla and full-auto it so they can do more techbro poo poo in their cars" to "Roads so inscrutable Dread Cthulu himself gets confused by their geometry", so it's probably just a matter of time before a Model S runs me over outside a Dunkies or some other horrible ironic New England death.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Vancouver is absolutely crawling with Teslas, too, which I'm always side-eyeing when I have to cross in front of them.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Neito posted:

These kind of stories always worry me a bit because I live near Boston, which has the worst ratio of "techbros who would buy a Tesla and full-auto it so they can do more techbro poo poo in their cars" to "Roads so inscrutable Dread Cthulu himself gets confused by their geometry", so it's probably just a matter of time before a Model S runs me over outside a Dunkies or some other horrible ironic New England death.
When I involuntarily shudder at the thought of full-auto driving, part of it is the thought of it in any city.

The other part is the entirety of the Boston metro area only 4 hours away.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I will argue that bluetooth connectivity makes a whole lot of sense for a smoker, sous vide or thermometer involved in a long cook. Being able to check and adjust temps from your phone is really handy, especially when the weather sucks outside. Not to mention being alerted when food comes up to temp, you run out of fuel, or something has gone wrong and the water has gotten too low.

But your fridge? gently caress that.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Solkanar512 posted:

I will argue that bluetooth connectivity makes a whole lot of sense for a smoker, sous vide or thermometer involved in a long cook. Being able to check and adjust temps from your phone is really handy, especially when the weather sucks outside. Not to mention being alerted when food comes up to temp, you run out of fuel, or something has gone wrong and the water has gotten too low.

But your fridge? gently caress that.

Let me know when a child has put an empty milk carton back into the fridge and I will mash the purchase button for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
All you need is a one armed person for that