Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Senator Drinksalot posted:

You telling me how to hold my Deck?

I'm sitting here, deck in hand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

would it actually be possible to set up doom to play custom wads on this or is that beyond the scope
You can do whatever you want on the thing, its still a PC. There's multiple programs on Linux that you can just, press a button and it'll install Doom for you if you give it the wads.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm sitting here, deck in hand...

This is a good time to remind people that Gabe Newell now lives in New Zealand and they have a unique way of pronouncing the word deck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbazGVrbN-g

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

homeless snail posted:

That's a software thing, you can divide up the touchpads however you like. They just don't have the markings engraved on them like the Steam Controller

It's not clear if you can with the Deck, if the hardware supports 4 separate buttons. I hope you can!

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

v1ld posted:

I never played it on PSP, though I had one.

Current MH lets you use either the d-pad to scroll through your items, losing control of the left joystick and your hunter and running the risk of being flattened, or using left bumper with the face buttons to scroll through your items, letting you keep moving the hunter.

I'll map that to the under buttons and have easy item and ammo scrolling ... if MH runs well on the Deck that is. :ohdear:

The PSP had no right stick, so you had camera controls on the dpad and movement on the left stick. There was no lock-on either, so you had to move the camera all the time, while moving, both with your left hand.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Feels Villeneuve posted:

would it actually be possible to set up doom to play custom wads on this or is that beyond the scope

You can do that on anything. A hacked 3ds, an old phone, an Amazon fire stick, you probably have three or four devices lying around that can play doom wads

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

v1ld posted:

It's not clear if you can with the Deck, if the hardware supports 4 separate buttons. I hope you can!

It isn't a hardware issue.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I've always just rotated my thumb to hit ABXY, people actually lay an index finger on the buttons? Sounds painful

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah, it's in Steam Input itself. You can make the Dualshock 4 touchpad into a d-pad or set of buttons right now. If you really wanted to.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Yes. Playing video games is for the weak, the real connoisseur understands the thrill of spending hours fine tuning settings and mods and then playing for like thirty minutes tops.

If only Steam had a system already in place for people to share the configs they've already made and have them sorted by highest rating/usage... hmm...

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

sigher posted:

If only Steam had a system already in place for people to share the configs they've already made and have them sorted by highest rating/usage... hmm...

wtf is this FUD

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

SCheeseman posted:

Yeah, it's in Steam Input itself. You can make the Dualshock 4 touchpad into a d-pad or set of buttons right now. If you really wanted to.

I have, for many games over the years - good to know that there's no limitation in the Deck touchpads that would prevent this then.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

homeless snail posted:

if you give it the wads.

ok and how do i give it multiple yous :D :D :D :D :D

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Stux posted:

I'm sorry I don't speak whatever language this is.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

homeless snail posted:

I like Stux a lot, but he's been really hostile the last 2 months or so.

Well he's always hostile and that's why I like him but lately he's just been mean.

Incoming "gonna cry?" post

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Stux posted:

what's the difference? you're their number one best seller!!!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Barreft posted:

I like Stux a lot

lmao

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

homeless snail posted:

Ignore stux, they'll get probed again soon enough.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
more like sux lol

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Feels Villeneuve posted:

me: what if i could use the face buttons
thread: that's too hard. have you tried rebinding face buttons to triggers for some ungodly reason

it feels normal.

me: is your brain dried cement. you: maybe.

Homie a button is a button, which sounds like something an old gamer would yell. like for real it's a button lol. you could even keep jump bound to both while you acclimate but your right that's probably ungodly effort

scared of using a back button lol.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

SCheeseman posted:

Which is something you'd expect as a routine thing on PC, but it's only Valve who bothered going deep enough into it and streamlining it under a unified overlay working for most controllers under the sun, single handedly breaking the accessibility barrier for thousands of games. But Steam is only a game launcher you know?

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Yes. Playing video games is for the weak, the real connoisseur understands the thrill of spending hours fine tuning settings and mods and then playing for like thirty minutes tops.

I don’t wanna touch MAME no more. Oh god I’m so tired. I’m so tired of mapping buttons

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Now I'm curious about how Java Minecraft, both modded and latest official, will run on the thing.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
2022 is the year of Linux on the Deskt- I mean Steam Deck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5rG5TFtJIY

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It feels like there are a shocking amount of people buying this product they don’t really know anything about. I’m not talking about waiting for reviews, I mean what it actually looks like and has been advertised to do.

Technically speaking nobody has bought one yet, we've just put down a deposit to reserve the right to buy one.

There have been enough previews that I'm confident it will do the things I'd like to do with it... and what do you mean people don't know what it looks like? There have been plenty of demo units sent around to all sorts of people.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 1, 2022

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Heran Bago posted:

Now I'm curious about how Java Minecraft, both modded and latest official, will run on the thing.

From my experience, Minecraft (Java) runs better on Linux, like almost anything that uses OpenGL.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mozi posted:

and what do you mean people don't know what it looks like? There have been plenty of demo units sent around to all sorts of people.

There are people in this thread who didn't even know the button layout

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

There are people in this thread who didn't even know the button layout

To be fair, I didn't remember it either, because it doesn't matter to me. I have no preference and trust that Valve will use their experience and do a decent job.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

There's a non zero number of people that are buying a Steam Deck because its a $600 Thing To Buy

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

it's a toy what plays my steam games how much more is there that I really need to know

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

it's a toy what plays my steam games how much more is there that I really need to know

*may not play all your steam games

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

homeless snail posted:

There's a non zero number of people that are buying a Steam Deck because its a $600 Thing To Buy

that makes it sound like a small percentage and nnot a majority lol

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

*may not play all your steam games

Maybe not at launch but coldpie said that he's confident the vast majority will eventually work, provided Valve gets the devs using anticheat on board and Microsoft doesn't start blocking Wine.

A Windows partition isn't a total solution either, though if you play a lot of competitive multiplayer or F2P garbage it might be necessary, at the cost of usability and convenience.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
And because it's just a computer if you want you can put windows on it.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I'm going to buy it an resell the box online for double the price

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Antigravitas posted:

From my experience, Minecraft (Java) runs better on Linux, like almost anything that uses OpenGL.

Same here! A relative had an old beater laptop that couldn't run it well, and it was a night-and-day difference after putting Ubuntu on the thing. We also tried swapping Java for OpenJDK but didn't notice a difference. Modpacks used to be complicated under Linux, but there are different launchers these days.

I'm mostly curious how it performs on the Deck's hardware specs with Linux.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

And it was a no-strings-attached-sign-here-to-get-on-the-list booking, so it's not like there was any downside to signing up then and only bothering with the details when Valve reaches out for shipping/confirmation.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

Same here! A relative had an old beater laptop that couldn't run it well, and it was a night-and-day difference after putting Ubuntu on the thing. We also tried swapping Java for OpenJDK but didn't notice a difference. Modpacks used to be complicated under Linux, but there are different launchers these days.

I'm mostly curious how it performs on the Deck's hardware specs with Linux.

What's the secret to getting java minecraft on Linux to run well, I tried it on our beater laptop and it ran like rear end. Installed Android bedrock on it and it runs great, which is nice for multiplayer with Windows.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Chubby Henparty posted:

What's the secret to getting java minecraft on Linux to run well, I tried it on our beater laptop and it ran like rear end. Installed Android bedrock on it and it runs great, which is nice for multiplayer with Windows.

No secret, it just ran better out of the box compared to fresh Win 10 on the same hardware. It was basically playable on Windows but not comfortably.

There are tips out there but I didn't get too into it aside from switching to OpenJDK, which apparently was a downgrade.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.makeuseof.com/tag/7-steps-install-optimize-minecraft-linux/amp/
https://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/minecraft-java-edition/survival-mode/297111-howto-optimize-minecraft-for-linux

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Fair enough, thanks!