Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

rotinaj posted:

I’m unsure why so many folk in this thread think I was arguing otherwise, but I’m not arguing that what the guy did was good.
Because every loving time there's talk about a creepy sex pest, some rear end in a top hat tries to police the victim's behavior, and you're that rear end in a top hat today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for "making" my grandmother give me her house after my stepbrother thought he'd get it and had already renovated it?

quote:

I've been mostly estranged from my father since I was 15. I've only ever maintained a relationship with my grandmother.

The estrangement was due to my mom, him and me. I won't blame him entirely.

When I was 23, I found out that my father had "given" my grandmother's home to my stepbrother.

My father had given it under the assumption that my grandmother would give it to him once she passed away. Which she'd promised to do several times.

My stepbrother was older, married and had a child and apparently needed a home. I have nothing against him as a person.

But I was feeling bitter about it and basically griped to my grandmother how my father had sidelined me again. After I vented, I made myself forget about the house.

My grandmother passed away earlier this year and to everyone's surprise, had given the house to me instead.

It was obviously a very awkward situation.

It was made even more awkward when I found out that my stepbrother and his wife had completely gut renovated most of the house by putting in nearly 90k of their own money.

My father called me and begged me to let him buy the house for around $150k so my stepbrother wouldn't have to pay for his mistake.

Here is where I think I'm the rear end in a top hat. Honestly, I don't think I'll ever be able to own a house otherwise.

So I told my father I will be keeping the house and I gave notice to my stepbrother to move out.

I've since moved into the house and while I'm slightly guilty about enjoying a renovated house that I didn't pay for, I can't help but think this whole mess would've been avoided if my father had waited to receive the house before giving it away.

I've since had a conversation with my father about why my grandmother might've done what she did (because of me venting to her) and he's upset.

AITA?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Anybody dumb enough to renovate a house they don’t own deserves to be out the money if it gets willed to someone else.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for being Hawaiian and having my dad talk to the principal.

quote:

I (17m) do not believe i am TA but my gf (18f) broke up with me over everything.

Last week in history we were talking about WWII and the discussion moved towards Pearl Harbor. My teacher asked a girl, we'll call her Mele, her opinions on Pearl Harbor as a Hawaiian. She gave some kind of BS answer about how the opinion is pretty divided among Hawaiians and how her grandma was there that day and was happy to see the military base be bombed because allegedly she and her family were treated bad by those stationed there.

I interjected that I, as a Hawaiian, was disgusted by her comments and that no one should be happy seeing anyone get bombed. She said I wasn't Hawaiian and that pretending to be and speaking over her grandmas experience was disgusting. I told her I was born in hawaii and lived there longer than her so maybe she's the one who shouldn't be speaking about Hawaiian experiences. I said my nationality is Hawaiian and there's nothing she could do about it. She then said you could only be ethnically Hawaiian because Hawaii isn't a nation anymore and that my nationality is American. She then insulted me by saying that me being born on base in Hawaii didn't make me Hawaiian it made me a colonizer. I told her she's a racist and told my teacher I can't believe he was allowing her to speak like that but he said I was the one who was acting inappropriate.

So I was talking to my gf about it during and she said that I was in the wrong and didn't talk to me until the next day when she said she thinks we should break up because we are going to different colleges and she didn't like who I was anymore???

Well this weekend my dad asked what was up with me and my girlfriend and I told him everything and he said my history teacher was out of line and asked if I wanted him to talk to the principal. So yesterday we did and word got around school. Now people have been calling me racist but there are also people calling Mele out on her poo poo as well. So who's the rear end in a top hat here?

Edit: Since everyone seems to think its so important, no I'm not ethnically Hawaiian.

quote:

I do know the history, but celebrating people getting bombed just because they roughed up your grandpa or "stole your house" is mad ugly

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Mx. posted:

Strong 'Elon Musk is African-American' energy. Dude picked the wrong island to play that game on.

Suspect the dad isn't gonna get a whole lot of buy-in from the principal.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Mx. posted:

AITA for "making" my grandmother give me her house after my stepbrother thought he'd get it and had already renovated it?

Well that is going to be ugly. Especially if they have anything in writing about her giving the house to someone else.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

exmachina posted:

If a PC was being killed, a GM must have been there too.

The GM was literally part of the murder. OP explained that their mods are allowed to PvP just as much as anybody else is.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Mx. posted:

This reminds me of when my grandma shared some old home piano sheet music her mom had brought over from Ireland when she immigrated in 1920.

It was a bunch of songs to sing with the family about British soldiers being pulped in WW1 lmao.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

therobit posted:

Anybody dumb enough to renovate a house they don’t own deserves to be out the money if it gets willed to someone else.

Yeah but this is 'pay your stepbro or pay a lawyer' territory. Either way you are going to have to part with some cash.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Mx. posted:

LOL get hosed haole.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

They should probably just take the deal, tbh. Even the OP kind of understands they probably shouldn’t have gotten the house, and 150k when you were expecting nothing ain’t half bad. Could maybe even snag a house with it.

I really have no idea what the grandmother was thinking, though. She really should have at least told them not to do the renovations or something...

E: nevermind, wasn’t expecting it to be some big super fancy place like that, lol

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 2, 2022

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

muscles like this! posted:

Probably doesn't want to be their next target.

Honestly, this is fair. See: The butterfly sanctuary that had to shut down for a while because assholes like this decided their dock was being used for some Pizzagate illegal sex trafficking.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Mx. posted:

My father called me and begged me to let him buy the house for around $150k so my stepbrother wouldn't have to pay for his mistake.

quote:

It's a three storey Victorian.

Average asking price is 400k but I've seen offers go as as high as 600k.

The thing is though, before my stepbrother's renovations, the house would have only been worth 200-250k.

Can we have a 100k - 250k discount on your inheritance please?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Grape posted:

This reminds me of when my grandma shared some old home piano sheet music her mom had brought over from Ireland when she immigrated in 1920.

It was a bunch of songs to sing with the family about British soldiers being pulped in WW1 lmao.

that sounds hilarious, please post copies if you can find any

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Mx. posted:

Is there any reason she can't find a realtor, sell the house to them at fair market value, than take 90k off as a peace offering?

Assuming they have documentation proving the actual amount they spent on renovations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Grape posted:

Years ago a friend had some Eastern European friends visit, and when they found out my family used to be from the same area they asked if I had any stories from back then and ever considered going back to see my roots.

Pointing out that pogrom stories don't end well kinda killed the mood.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

limp_cheese posted:

Is there any reason she can't find a realtor, sell the house to them at fair market value, than take 90k off as a peace offering?

Assuming they have documentation proving the actual amount they spent on renovations.

Going to guess the house is worth a lot more than they're willing or able to outright pay for if the stepbrother was fine with dumping 90k into it. In fairness the OP should work towards paying the stepbrother back but I wouldn't roll over for my dad just because he wants to play favorites and the urge to spite everyone in this situation would be pretty appealing.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

limp_cheese posted:

They presumably also don't have the money for a market value process. A fair offer would be 100-120k. You get the cost of renovating the place, plus some of the consequential increased market value as a measure of goodwill and so they aren't back to square one.

But it sounds like the problem isn't so much that stepbro is out 90k as it is that stepbro and family are now out of a home. They don't want cash back, they want a house to own. To which: tough, but maybe Grandma could have been a bit more even handed with the inheritence.

On the other hand 'estranged at 15' is a quite a bit of hidden backstory.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Hughlander posted:

Can we have a 100k - 250k discount on your inheritance please?

Yeah at that point I’d probably take out a loan for the $90k they spent and give it to them but require that they waive all others claims.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

AnoHito posted:

I really have no idea what the grandmother was thinking, though. She really should have at least told them not to do the renovations or something...

Yeah, I wonder if there's room for a lawyer to argue that the OP took advantage of grandma's mental state after she had already promised the house, in front of many witnesses, to someone else.

What am I saying, of course a lawyer can argue that.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Yeah, I wonder if there's room for a lawyer to argue that the OP took advantage of grandma's mental state after she had already promised the house, in front of many witnesses, to someone else.

What am I saying, of course a lawyer can argue that.

Unless Grandma was totally senile when she made the last will, which would be strange because the notary isn’t supposed to stamp anything unless the person is with it enough to know what they are signing, what is written matters a lot more than what they say. My grandfather promised to will the farm to several different people but in the end it was split between his kids because that’s what the will said. Also if they want to argue she was too senile to know what she was doing, then why would her telling them verbally that they could have the house be any mor valid than a written document?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Mx. posted:

Suddenly i'm having terrible flashbacks to that one animator (who identified as a white Hawaiian) who really hated Lilo and Stitch because it was too racist against white people and didn't acknowledge the history of "white genocide done by native Hawaiians"

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

DemoneeHo posted:

Suddenly i'm having terrible flashbacks to that one animator (who identified as a white Hawaiian) who really hated Lilo and Stitch because it was too racist against white people and didn't acknowledge the history of "white genocide done by native Hawaiians"

“They are destroying us by having consensual sex with us! HELP!”

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

DemoneeHo posted:

lmao i forgot about that interesting human

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Slo-Tek posted:

Strong 'Elon Musk is African-American' energy. Dude picked the wrong island to play that game on.

Suspect the dad isn't gonna get a whole lot of buy-in from the principal.

Maybe the principal is racist too.

Kenshin posted:

that sounds hilarious, please post copies if you can find any

Seconding this.

DemoneeHo posted:

Was this the woman who was the main character of twitter for a day and whined about how Lilo was "too childish" or is this a different person?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
The more I think about it, the most remarkable thing about that story is a high school senior with such a childlike reaction to such a basic concept as "mistreatment can create bitter feelings of schadenfreude regarding death and destruction of those associated with it"

THAT BAD, IT IS BAD TO FEEL THAT WAY, IT NOT NICE TO LIKE A BOMB

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

if the OP supposedly has no ill will towards their stepbrother, that sure is a funny way of showing it. Take the money, hell argue for a bigger payout, but come the gently caress on, you were living your life knowing that your stepbrother and family were working on that house and intending to live in it. It is not stupid to assume one's grandmother and father could be trusted to make good on the promise of the home, especially given the extensive time and labor and money put into the renovations, so i do not blame the stepbrother.

Yeah technically the OP is right that it is their house, but they are indeed an rear end in a top hat. I would not just take an offer of a house if it meant putting a family on the street, and anyone that would make that choice is likely a dick.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

DemoneeHo posted:

You mean like when they killed James Cook?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Invisible Clergy posted:

Was this the woman who was the main character of twitter for a day and whined about how Lilo was "too childish" or is this a different person?

Same person, although i do recall she had a friend with the same opinions on Lilo and Hawaiian history. I could be conflating some details.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Grape posted:

The more I think about it, the most remarkable thing about that story is a high school senior with such a childlike reaction to such a basic concept as "mistreatment can create bitter feelings of schadenfreude regarding death and destruction of those associated with it"

THAT BAD, IT IS BAD TO FEEL THAT WAY, IT NOT NICE TO LIKE A BOMB

It is stupid and evil, but unfortunately, chuds/shitlibs are not especially rare. see also "it's not NICE to celebrate when antivaxxers die of covid! I'm telling mommy!" I saw a good article on this kind of bullshit a little while ago.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

WoodrowSkillson posted:

if the OP supposedly has no ill will towards their stepbrother, that sure is a funny way of showing it. Take the money, hell argue for a bigger payout, but come the gently caress on, you were living your life knowing that your stepbrother and family were working on that house and intending to live in it. It is not stupid to assume one's grandmother and father could be trusted to make good on the promise of the home, especially given the extensive time and labor and money put into the renovations, so i do not blame the stepbrother.

Yeah technically the OP is right that it is their house, but they are indeed an rear end in a top hat. I would not just take an offer of a house if it meant putting a family on the street, and anyone that would make that choice is likely a dick.

Counterpoint: gently caress em. Don't put your eggs in one basket and maybe dad can pony up a bit more dough as an rear end in a top hat tax

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Counterpoint: gently caress em. Don't put your eggs in one basket and maybe dad can pony up a bit more dough as an rear end in a top hat tax

No one forced the stepbrother to do any of that stuff. If you're spending almost 100k on a house, make sure you own it first.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I would say it actually is pretty stupid to spend $100k of your own money renovating someone else's house based solely on them saying they were going to give it to someone who would then later give it to you. Doesn't make the stepbrother wrong or anything, that's just a whole lot of money to spend on something that is definitely not a sure thing.

I do wonder how much time there was between the OP bringing it up to grandma and grandma's death. Sounds like it was probably years based on the amount they've already spent.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Step bro was also living rent free in the house for years according to the comments. OP deffo needs a lawyer right away because this is going to get contested and who knows if he handled the eviction properly.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Agreed, cash out the equity they can prove if you're feeling nice but that's it. When he complains feel free to reference how stepbrother had no plan to cut OP in.

Alternatively the family can live there rent free but stepbrother has to be OPs butler.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA for wanting to bring my girlfriend as a date to my sister's wedding instead of one of the groomsmen?

quote:

TL;DR: I'm openly gay and have a girlfriend. I'm a bridesmaid in my sister's wedding but she denied me a plus one and gave me one of the groomsmen as a date. I asked her to allow my girlfriend to come and she said no and got mad.

Help me out and tell me if my request is reasonable. My sister's wedding is coming up 5 weeks from this Saturday. I'm a bridesmaid. When I agreed to be a bridesmaid I understood I would have to walk down the aisle beside one of the groomsmen, stand beside him in some pictures and sit at a table with him and the other bridesmaids and groomsmen. No problem. I'm in a relationship and I assumed my girlfriend would be invited to the wedding or I could bring her as my plus 1. Last week the invitations were sent out and my girlfriend wasn't invited and I wasn't given a plus 1. When I brought this to my sister's attention she said the groomsmen (I'll call him John) is my date. She told me John is single so it made sense to "pair us up" and have us be each other's dates.

Me not getting a plus 1 is not about cost savings. My parents are dropping at least $75k on the wedding, the expenses skyrocketed during the planning. It's not a destination or out of town wedding. My sister wanted a beachfront venue and the one she booked costs over $20k. The maid of honor, the best man and all of the other bridesmaids and groomsmen were given a plus 1 and so was every other guest. None of the other wedding party members are married either and the full guest list wasn't kept to spouses only. This came out of the blue. A few months ago I showed my sister a picture of the dress my girlfriend bought for the wedding and my sister's exact words were "I can't wait to see her wearing it". She didn't even have the courtesy to tell me I wasn't getting a plus 1 or my girlfriend wasn't invited. I found out when I got the invitation.

I have nothing personal against John but I've never met the guy and being that I'm a lesbian I don't date men. I've been out for 15 years. I took a girl to my prom. My parents and sister have taken me to pride parades in the past. My girlfriend of 3.5 years has been welcomed to family events and holidays with no negativity. Everyone knows I'm gay and it's never been a problem but now I feel like it is. My sister complained to my parents about my request and they sat me down and said while they are fronting the money they aren't involved in the planning and my sister can do as she pleases and I was reminded it is her day and not mine and demanding changes to the guest list is self centered.

I'm honestly shocked this happened. Part of me just wants to say screw it and not go but I'm a bridesmaid and finding a replacement in under 6 weeks would be difficult and as angry as I am with my sister and parents I don't want to disrupt the wedding. The guilt is adding to my confusion. I feel like its homophobia no matter what my sister and parents say to that. Was it wrong of me to ask my sister to add an extra spot to the guest list?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Mx. posted:

AITA for wanting to bring my girlfriend as a date to my sister's wedding instead of one of the groomsmen?

Please grow a spine and duck out of that wedding

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They don't like Lilo in Japan, but love stitch, so she gets written out of all their EU content.

Mx. posted:

No gay on MY day

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The GM was literally part of the murder. OP explained that their mods are allowed to PvP just as much as anybody else is.

That seems like a bad way to run a game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Barudak posted:

They don't like Lilo in Japan, but love stitch, so she gets written out of all their EU content.

I hear they had a similar reaction to Snoopy vs Charlie Brown