Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Kerblam! is also the dumbest name for an episode of Doctor Who, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Very much true to all his episodes under other showrunners. Not terrible, but not exactly good either. Serviceable.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Chibnall's run being the equivalent of styrofoam packing material is why I was always puzzled when people would be like "oh boy we get new Doctor Who soon! :dance:" I mean, it's Chibnall's DW. How could anyone possibly get excited for that? How do you get excited knowing he's wasting Jodie Whittaker while trying desperately to cement his legacy as showrunner amidst a sea of blandness?

Then again, I'm an old fart :corsair: and so I have little patience or incentive to keep watching a show that goes downhill sharply, just because I've always watched it. The Walking Dead was the final straw for me in that regard. Never again :colbert:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Everything in this world and life is an exercise of watching things do downhill, I can't let that slow me down or I'd get nothing done or watched.

Kerblam! would be a great name for an episode if it were a great episode, sounds like an extremely british onomatopoeia and would never confuse it for something else.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Everything in this world and life is an exercise of watching things do downhill, I can't let that slow me down or I'd get nothing done or watched.

Conversely, we have a finite amount of time on earth and there's no obligation to keep watching a bad show or movie just to see it through to completion, when you could be watching or doing something else you enjoy instead. Sure, you should give something a shot, and if it doesn't resonate with you, or it gets worse and worse as you watch it, then you move on. You don't need to keep on watching it.

Unless you're a professional TV or movie critic, in which case you're in your own special sort of hell there.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Huh? It's not like it hurts to watch bad things or that I can't enjoy things just because they suck rear end or get enjoyment joking about the thing with others. I suck rear end too but I still persist and have a good time. Good things aren't actually any better than bad things, they're all things to be experienced and good things can't do what bad things do. p.s. sorry boutcha mortality but I am invincible and cannot die.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Doctor Who's absolutely wildly varying quality is part of its charm IMO. I think Chibnall's run has probably been the weakest overall of the three revival showrunners, but "the equivalent of styrofoam packing material" doesn't feel fair to me. I think he erred a little on the side of safety for his first season and then went overboard with a bunch of crazy ideas. Flux wasn't good but it was sure as hell both weird and enjoyable (and honestly, they had a lot working against them), the Yaz/Doctor romance has its issues, but I think his heart was in the right place with it, and RTD can pick and choose what to bring forward, if anything, from the additions to the "lore."

I look forward to new episodes because sometimes they're fun! Sometimes even when the episodes are bad! If anything, the Timeless Child thing has taught me that Doctor Who's premise is so open-ended and malleable that it's hard to permanently "ruin" the show.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Huh? It's not like it hurts to watch bad things or that I can't enjoy things just because they suck rear end or get enjoyment joking about the thing with others. I suck rear end too but I still persist and have a good time. Good things aren't actually any better than bad things, they're all things to be experienced and good things can't do what bad things do. p.s. sorry boutcha mortality but I am invincible and cannot die.

I mean, do what you want, but there's a difference between enjoying something for being "so bad it's good" and actively watching something that's mediocre and sucks just because you've always watched it or have a completionist streak or something. The former is still finding enjoyment in something that's otherwise bad. The latter is just inertia.

And if you're saying "I watch Chibnall Who to laugh at it", I'd counter that it's not even worth that much effort. It's not "so bad it's good", it's just...mediocre.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's okay to enjoy things that are mediocre, which, if we're being terribly honest, describes most of Doctor Who.

Don't worry, Doctor. It seems like every showrunner, something continuity-altering happens to the Time Lords. My advice is to ride it out, make an occasional smark-aleck post, and by the time Jerusalem is finished with his gifs, we'll be back where we started from, ready for another wacky adventure!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I quit Star Wars because I had a ton of love for it but after literally my entire life releasing worse and worse Star Warses there was enough friction to derail me entirely.

I'm not saying I watched Chibnall who to laugh at it, I watched it because it's Doctor Who and I like seeing what folks are doing with Doctor Who. Doubly so because Who canon means anything may or may not come up again, nice to know the history as we go. It's not like it was all so abjectly bad start to finish it was miserable for me to watch, there's a sloppy mix of good bad mediocre almost great and terrible. Also the opportunity cost is low, I'm usually some _something_ and while doing something I like put on something else, 45 minutes of that being a mediocre Doctor Who episode really doesn't seem like something I need to be concerned about for as many sentences as we've already typed about it.

Besides liking something is entirely divorced from quality. Some of my favourite things are lovely.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Also I'd disagree with the idea that it doesn't hurt to watch bad things, because I've seen some movies that were an absolute chore to get through. :cry:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
you effectively hedge your bets by never just sitting down and looking at a screen nonstop while it's on. show on one screen, your drawing/game/work/chat on the others. of course making sure you are high is also paramount to enjoying 100% of your life regardless of quality what is happening in it or not.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Khanstant posted:

you effectively hedge your bets by never just sitting down and looking at a screen nonstop while it's on. show on one screen, your drawing/game/work/chat on the others. of course making sure you are high is also paramount to enjoying 100% of your life regardless of quality what is happening in it or not.

"Don't pay attention to the entertainment you consume" is certainly a novel take

I mean, I put stuff on in the background when I'm working on something too, it's just that it's something I've already seen so I don't have to worry about paying attention to it so much. I also make time to watch something I genuinely want to see or that I hope is good, which is why conversely I don't waste time continuing to watch something if it turns out to be an unenjoyable load of shite. I don't think I'd have gotten the same enjoyment out of, for example, No Country For Old Men or The Death of Stalin, if I'd have been half-paying attention to them while painting miniatures or whatever.

Also I don't get high because I don't smoke the devil's lettuce :colbert:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

There are times when you want to watch something challenging and moving, something well-crafted and poignant that uses pathos to encourage deep thoughts and emotions about society or the human condition, and you want to devote yourself to absorbing it fully. There are also times when you've had a long day and you want to unwind via entertainment. While both of those are subjective, the latter in particular is, because people's lived experiences change what sort of stories, images, phrases and music are enjoyable to them. "So bad it's good" is even more difficult to nail down. There are few universal truths about fiction and what is "good" or "bad" for you, except that you should not play MMORPGs, watch Star Trek: Voyager or try to remake Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Even Kerblam! at least has that adorable moment of 13 getting really excited about her delivery and playing with the fez.

According to Nick Briggs, he's spoken with Matt Smith recently, who is open to doing Big Finish, but it probably won't be for quite a while due to scheduling. He's also mentioned it to Whittaker who is also open to doing it one day, which means eventually we might get some really, really good 13 stories. Peter Calpaldi's agent has said that his comments about not being a fan of doing voice acting weren't about Big Finish, but even then, I doubt he'll do it, tbh.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

If people want to watch Jodie Whittaker as Doctor Who, just watch that thing she did in her closet during lockdown where she reassured kids. That right there was miles better than anything Chibnall foisted upon her, and showed she got the character of her Doctor far better than her showrunner did.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I was always puzzled when people would be like "oh boy we get new Doctor Who soon! :dance:"

Because I'm old enough to remember the miserable 16 years where, apart from the television movie, there was no new Doctor Who and it was assumed there probably never would be again, and that is a hell I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Sometimes at night I still wake up screaming....

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Because I'm old enough to remember the miserable 16 years where, apart from the television movie, there was no new Doctor Who and it was assumed there probably never would be again, and that is a hell I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Sometimes at night I still wake up screaming....

I'm old enough to remember it too, and frankly there are times I wonder if maybe we didn't realize how good we had it with just the books and Big Finish audios, much like how Star Wars was better off before the prequels and sequels. "New" most definitely doesn't always mean "good".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

No way, the revival has produced absolutely incredible content since 2005. It has hit some astonishing lows too, and the current utterly mediocre run (with terrible fanfiction thrown in) has been a letdown, but I wouldn't ever want to go back to the misery of the only possible way to get more Who being reading somebody working out their puberty fantasies about Ace, especially when there has been such fantastic stuff produced for television and the promise of more to come once Chibnall is out the door.

Imagining a world where we never got Eccleston, Tennant, Smith, Capaldi or even poor misused Whittaker to play the Doctor (let alone John Hurt!) is just a miserable thought. Especially since it actively went out of its way not to ignore Big Finish or prevent more audios with the classic Doctors from being made.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

No way, the revival has produced absolutely incredible content since 2005. It has hit some astonishing lows too, and the current utterly mediocre run (with terrible fanfiction thrown in) has been a letdown, but I wouldn't ever want to go back to the misery of the only possible way to get more Who being reading somebody working out their puberty fantasies about Ace, especially when there has been such fantastic stuff produced for television and the promise of more to come once Chibnall is out the door.

Imagining a world where we never got Eccleston, Tennant, Smith, Capaldi or even poor misused Whittaker to play the Doctor (let alone John Hurt!) is just a miserable thought. Especially since it actively went out of its way not to ignore Big Finish or prevent more audios with the classic Doctors from being made.

I mean, that's your view and that's perfectly fine. Art is completely subjective, after all. My view is that NuWho has largely sucked since it came back, and I finally gave up on the show after I realized that I didn't like it and I wasn't going to force myself to watch it in the hopes that it might appeal to my particular sensibilities the way a lot of the classic series did. I don't often agree with Mad Larry, but I think he was spot on when he said it was just another TV show to him now, because that's absolutely how I feel about it too.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me, and that's OK. I'm perfectly fine being the Old Man Yelling at Clouds in here and wearing an onion on my belt as I watch old DW episodes, which was the style at the time. :corsair:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

"Don't pay attention to the entertainment you consume" is certainly a novel take

I mean I'm saying pay attention to more than one thing but I guess not everyone works the same way. My buddy has us rewind entire scenes if anyone is talking, which is fine, but like, I feel like I still caught the entire scene even while the talking was going on. There are definitely times and media where I sit in a dark room and watch it and nothing else but idk I can't sit still doing nothing for that long before getting squirmy wanting to do something with my hands. Videogames are rarely so engrossing start to finish so as to demand rapt attention the entire time if I'm fumbling through menus/loot and doing whatever mechanics for game money/xp, and a show or podcast while playing is just a nice way to enjoy two arts at once. This weekend I was playing two different pokemon games with the same controller inputs for a while lol. As you said, only a finite amount of time, reckon watching two medias while also not burning time being too discerning nets more time spent enjoying more things I enjoy in life lol.

Drawing and 3d modeling likewise bounce between high-attention tasks and more mindless ones that need be done but free my attention.

In any case, outside of Chibnalls run not being so great, NuWho is my jam I love all this stuff so it has nothing to do with my attention management I just think it's neat and good Who. It's the old Who I am interested in just because it's Who, not any nostalgic attachment. My favourite Doctor tends to be the one I'm watching. Actually I think some of my favourite doc/companion/showrunner combos were vilified before Chibnall become so widely disliked.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

In the interests of not being a total rear end in a top hat (:v:), I will say some nice things about each of the NuWho showrunners:

RTD - is responsible for bringing it back (much as I might gripe about it). Cast both Eccleston and Tennant, both of who I liked even if I didn't always like the stories they had. Came up with some absolutely great moments, the best being the reveal of the Master in "Utopia", in my opinion. "Midnight" and "Turn Left" were two really good stories under his watch. Donna, and of course Wilf.

Moffat - I disliked his take on DW (it's what made me quit watching), but I can't deny the show reached great heights of popularity under his guidance. I liked Matt Smith as the Doctor. And the regeration of Eight into the War Doctor and the 50th anniversary special were all great. The Curator.

Chibnall - He cast the first female Doctor and for that, he deserves full credit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If there's one thing we can all agree on (there isn't, we're Doctor Who fans), it's that the 50th Anniversary was a spectacular success and an incredible time to be watching Doctor Who, and everybody agrees (except for the ones who don't). :hellyeah:

"You know I rather think you might!" :aaa:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sydney Bottocks posted:

In the interests of not being a total rear end in a top hat (:v:), I will say some nice things about each of the NuWho showrunners:

RTD - is responsible for bringing it back (much as I might gripe about it). Cast both Eccleston and Tennant, both of who I liked even if I didn't always like the stories they had. Came up with some absolutely great moments, the best being the reveal of the Master in "Utopia", in my opinion. "Midnight" and "Turn Left" were two really good stories under his watch. Donna, and of course Wilf.

Moffat - I disliked his take on DW (it's what made me quit watching), but I can't deny the show reached great heights of popularity under his guidance. I liked Matt Smith as the Doctor. And the regeration of Eight into the War Doctor and the 50th anniversary special were all great. The Curator.

Chibnall - He cast the first female Doctor and for that, he deserves full credit.

When you say you quit watching during Moffats run, you have watched the Chibnall stuff you are criticising, right?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

SiKboy posted:

When you say you quit watching during Moffats run, you have watched the Chibnall stuff you are criticising, right?

I came back for his first season, watched the first few episodes, and left again. I liked his casting of Jodie but that's about it. Like Moffat's stuff, it just didn't appeal to me. I go mainly off what most of you guys say in the thread for the later episodes, much like how I don't watch WWE but live vicariously through the people hatewatching it in the WWE thread.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'm old enough to remember it too, and frankly there are times I wonder if maybe we didn't realize how good we had it with just the books and Big Finish audios, much like how Star Wars was better off before the prequels and sequels. "New" most definitely doesn't always mean "good".

Your memory is being very selective. The absolute worst of the books and audios were far, far worse than anything the series ever game us, and I would put the average for them as lower than almost any season of the show.

The books were always highly variable. There's a strong argument to be made that the average quality of the Big Finish audios has gone up several times, but aside from the very early days, that doesn't happen without the new show and its casting (Hurt as the War Doctor; Jacobi as the War Master). The influences of the books and audios are also very visible in the new series, for good and bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wonder if Rusty can get Chris to come back for the 60th.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Narsham posted:

Your memory is being very selective. The absolute worst of the books and audios were far, far worse than anything the series ever game us, and I would put the average for them as lower than almost any season of the show.

The books were always highly variable. There's a strong argument to be made that the average quality of the Big Finish audios has gone up several times, but aside from the very early days, that doesn't happen without the new show and its casting (Hurt as the War Doctor; Jacobi as the War Master). The influences of the books and audios are also very visible in the new series, for good and bad.

I'd say the lowest points of the show and the lowest points of the 8DA/PDA/BF audios are about equal. There's a lot of cringeworthy stuff in NuWho that is easily as bad as some author having a wafty crank at their keyboard over Ace or Turlough.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Jerusalem posted:

things got a lot weirder and unsettling culminating in the dildo Doctor, oof.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but I'm certainly not going to google it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Big Finish is bringing back the "Doctor Who- Unbound" series. However it looks like the BBC's edict of not allowing them to cast new actors as the Doctor still stands, so they're taking a different approach to this ...

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-of-war-rewrites-history

Introducing Colin Baker as ... THE WAR DOCTOR.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 2, 2022

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Not that he has ever said it directly, but I think Rusty is where some of the ill will is directed, unfortunately. I'm reading between the lines a little bit, but it seems like Eccleston took issue with how one of the directors was treating the cast (and more specifically, Billie Piper), and doesn't feel like the producers were there to back him up.

He almost definitely would have come back for the 50th if his reviewing the script hadn't come right at the same time as all that "You are erased from Doctor Who!" stuff, but I think that was probably the last chance. :(

I'd be happy to be wrong, his take on the Doctor would interact really well with almost any of the others.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Big Finish is bringing back the "Doctor Who- Unbound" series. However it looks like the BBC's edict of not allowing them to cast new actors as the Doctor still stands, so they're taking a different approach to this ...

I'm guessing John Hurt ain't interested in the work? From the blurb though I suppose I don't have any issues with War Doctor having other aspects played by other Doctors, they're all the same person and it's sensible central nexus for their various pathoses.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Khanstant posted:

I'm guessing John Hurt ain't interested in the work? From the blurb though I suppose I don't have any issues with War Doctor having other aspects played by other Doctors, they're all the same person and it's sensible central nexus for their various pathoses.

Um, I hate to be the one to tell you this but John Hurt passed away 5 years ago.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I mean, that's your view and that's perfectly fine. Art is completely subjective, after all. My view is that NuWho has largely sucked since it came back, and I finally gave up on the show after I realized that I didn't like it and I wasn't going to force myself to watch it in the hopes that it might appeal to my particular sensibilities the way a lot of the classic series did. I don't often agree with Mad Larry, but I think he was spot on when he said it was just another TV show to him now, because that's absolutely how I feel about it too.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me, and that's OK. I'm perfectly fine being the Old Man Yelling at Clouds in here and wearing an onion on my belt as I watch old DW episodes, which was the style at the time. :corsair:

I agree with you

Rhyno posted:

I suspect it makes it less likely

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Um, I hate to be the one to tell you this but John Hurt passed away 5 years ago.

aaah that comments makes a lot more sense now. rest well dude.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I've started watching the re-con of the Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve and boy howdy does this story need visuals to work.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Davros1 posted:

gently caress - you know what, I'm actually down for this. I can see C.Bakes doing an amazing job on this.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, I'm not a particular fan of the idea of there being alternate timeline versions of the Doctor (they're a Time Lord, you'd kind of think timelines have to adapt to fit around them rather than the other way around) but Colin Baker as the War Doctor is a really, really intriguing idea. I love that one of the stories involves him being put on trial :allears:

raditts posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but I'm certainly not going to google it.

Long story short: Rose was desperately in love with 10 and he kept making it clear that this wasn't something he could reciprocate. Then he used his severed arm from The Christmas Invasion to avoid regenerating after being shot by a Dalek, which accidentally created another version of himself who had his mind/memories/intelligence etc but also happened to be entirely human, and the story ends with him making out with Rose and the two of them going to live in the alternate Cybus Universe.

The fact that RTD would later write a story where Donna basically gets the brainpower of a Time Lord in a human body and is informed that it is too much for a human body to take and she'll burn out if her mind isn't severely locked down suggests a rather horrifying ultimate end result for Doctor Twho over in the Cybus Universe, which I don't think RTD even remotely intended or ever considered.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 3, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Rose returns, but as the series villain, hellbent on getting herself a proper timelord boyfriend who won't die horrifically after a few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, I'm not a particular fan of the idea of there being alternate timeline versions of the Doctor (they're a Time Lord, you'd kind of think timelines have to adapt to fit around them rather than the other way around) but Colin Baker as the War Doctor is a really, really intriguing idea. I love that one of the stories involves him being put on trial :allears:

Long story short: Rose was desperately in love with 10 and he kept making it clear that this wasn't something he could reciprocate. Then he used his severed arm from The Christmas Invasion to avoid regenerating after being shot by a Dalek, which accidentally created another version of himself who had his mind/memories/intelligence etc but also happened to be entirely human, and the story ends with him making out with Rose and the two of them going to live in the alternate Cybus Universe.

The fact that RTD would later write a story where Donna basically gets the brainpower of a Time Lord in a human body and is informed that it is too much for a human body to take and she'll burn out if her mind isn't severely locked down suggests a rather horrifying ultimate end result for Doctor Twho over in the Cybus Universe, which I don't think RTD even remotely intended or ever considered.
I can't believe I never thought of this.