Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That forum thread is full of absolutely terrible advice.

It's really just

a) install a distro that is decently recent
b) install the proprietary driver for Nvidia if you made the mistake of owning Nvidia hardware
c) install Minecraft

Several vendors (i.e. Intel and AMD) have dogshit OpenGL drivers on Windows but miraculously really well performing ones on Linux. So on certain hardware you get a a huge uplift.

Changing JRE is irrelevant, Oracles's JRE is OpenJRE with some proprietary bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m not sure why you think it’s special that people don’t know the button layouts. People only know the button layouts for console systems if they generationally consistent.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m not sure why you think it’s special that people don’t know the button layouts. People only know the button layouts for console systems if they generationally consistent.
There's a picture of it on the website they typed their credit card number into.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

FishMcCool posted:

Which is something you'd expect as a routine thing on PC, but it's only Valve who bothered going deep enough into it and streamlining it under a unified overlay working for most controllers under the sun, single handedly breaking the accessibility barrier for thousands of games. But Steam is only a game launcher you know?

Steam Input the API is awesome and everyone should adopt it. The UI to configure it is absolute fuckin' dogshit.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dogshit is strong, idk about that. Its hurt by being a 10 foot UI and could be a lot nicer if all the icons and fonts weren't loving huge, but, it has a lot of functionality and its mostly easy to access after you've made a layout or two. You just gotta put in the time to gently caress around with it.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

my Linux opinion is that Vulkan seems like a miracle that makes emulators run way more efficiently for reasons I don't comprehend

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I watched a YouTube video or two about a wizard who is one of the most popular Steam controller (that one, but any controller really, mostly PS4) configuration designers. Even watching one of their videos was eye opening. They will make adjustments and test them immediately so you get an idea of what some of the more difficult to interpret options do.

fake edit: I just tried to find that specific youtuber but I couldn't, they didn't have a physical controller on-screen but one of those overlays so you can see what they're paying exactly and with how much force.

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 1, 2022

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
hows this gonna compare to say a pc from 2015 with a 970 in it

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

grieving for Gandalf posted:

my Linux opinion is that Vulkan seems like a miracle that makes emulators run way more efficiently for reasons I don't comprehend

The secret behind Vulkan is that it sits just barely above the actual hardware. It's abstracted enough that you don't have to know the implementation specifics of the hardware vendor, but that's it. Normally that's a hard sell since you, the game programmer, don't want to do all the busywork that more convenient APIs like d3d11 or OpenGL abstract away in their driver. You call doFancyThing() and the driver does the busywork of translating it into something the GPU understands.

With Vulkan, you have to implement most of that busywork yourself, but that also means you can implement other API's busywork. Like Direct3D, OpenGL, or something more exotic like a console's weirdo API.

Before Vulkan arrived you had to translate from one high-level API to another, which is horrifically complex (and slow) and gets more complex the more these APIs diverge.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

dangerdoom volvo posted:

The Steam Deck's hardware will be much less powerful than this. This is a compact, low-power PC targeting low resolutions at 30fps. It has 20W total system power, 15W for the SoC. Compare this to 160W for the Radeon 6600XT, and 70W for a Zen 2 CPU. They're basically taking those two components, cramming them into a single chip, cutting some cores, and then making it run at 6.5% the total power. That said, RDNA2 is fairly efficient at low frequencies. I previously theorized that the integrated GPU will be about 15% as powerful as the 6600XT, based on its clock speed and core count. If I'm wrong, then it's because I'm being too optimistic. I'd expect the gaming performance to be around 30 - 35% of what your 970 is capable of. Keep in mind that the steam deck's 1280x800 is a much easier resolution to render at than 1920x1080. Still, don't expect too much from this thing.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

dangerdoom volvo posted:

it's gonna be way easier to hold on the couch

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The Steam Deck's hardware will be much less powerful than this. This is a compact, low-power PC targeting low resolutions at 30fps. It has 20W total system power, 15W for the SoC. Compare this to 160W for the Radeon 6600XT, and 70W for a Zen 2 CPU. They're basically taking those two components, cramming them into a single chip, cutting some cores, and then making it run at 6.5% the total power. That said, RDNA2 is fairly efficient at low frequencies. I previously theorized that the integrated GPU will be about 15% as powerful as the 6600XT, based on its clock speed and core count. If I'm wrong, then it's because I'm being too optimistic. I'd expect the gaming performance to be around 30 - 35% of what your 970 is capable of. Keep in mind that the steam deck's 1280x800 is a much easier resolution to render at than 1920x1080. Still, don't expect too much from this thing.

""The '30 FPS target' refers to the floor of what we consider playable in our performance testing; games we've tested and shown have consistently met and exceeded that bar so far," Griffais explained on Twitter (thanks, Gamerant). "There will also be an optional built-in FPS limiter to fine-tune [performance] vs. battery life.""

It'll be pushing half the pixels of 1080p. So it will be quite comparable, if not exceeding a 2015 pc with a 970. Maybe not in terms of pushing 1080p but in terms of pushing its native dispay it'll likely hit higher frames than a traditional pc w/ 970 hitting 1080p.

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 1, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kwolok posted:

""The '30 FPS target' refers to the floor of what we consider playable in our performance testing; games we've tested and shown have consistently met and exceeded that bar so far," Griffais explained on Twitter (thanks, Gamerant). "There will also be an optional built-in FPS limiter to fine-tune [performance] vs. battery life.""

It'll be pushing half the pixels of 1080p. So it will be quite comparable, if not exceeding.

I'm just comparing the raw hardware capabilities. Obviously you will be able to configure it in certain ways to still get acceptable performance out of it. That's the whole idea of the thing.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

I'm just comparing the raw hardware capabilities. Obviously you will be able to configure it in certain ways to still get acceptable performance out of it. That's the whole idea of the thing.

But my point is, comparing it to a 2015 pc with a 970, at equal game settings, on average its more likely this handheld will push higher framerates. The lower resolution helps (though it has almost twice the pixel density of a traditional display) quite a bit. BUt I'd suspect that pc and the stream deck running side by side with the same exact settings save for render resolutions would see the deck pump out better framerates. 2015 was seven years ago

Coure maybe I am just optimistic. I'm buying this dumb thing no matter what because I have nothing else to spend my money on in the middle of a god forsaken pandemic. Plus I mostly want to play pretty un-taxing games on it like celeste.

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 2, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kwolok posted:

But my point is, comparing it to a 2015 pc with a 970, at equal game settings, on average its more likely this handheld will push higher framerates. The lower resolution helps (though it has almost twice the pixel density of a traditional display) quite a bit. BUt I'd suspect that pc and the stream deck running side by side with the same exact settings save for render resolutions would see the deck pump out better framerates. 2015 was seven years ago

Coure maybe I am just optimistic. I'm buying this dumb thing no matter what because I have nothing else to spend my money on in the middle of a god forsaken pandemic. Plus I mostly want to play pretty un-taxing games on it like celeste.

This seems unlikely. Even in the most optimistic of scenarios, 1280x800 isn't so easy to run that it will fully compensate for the weaker hardware. I would expect that a few settings might have to be turned down as well compared to what a 970 can ordinarily run, if you want to keep frame rate parity.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
tapping the very big "the entire apu has 15w" sign

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

homeless snail posted:

There's a picture of it on the website they typed their credit card number into.

Yes that’s how you purchase most consoles

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
theny ou can see the button layout ?????? am i having a strok e lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

i couldn't tell you which consoles I have that go A B and which go B A

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

lmao just gonna buy a Steam Deck, who the gently caress knows what the button layout is...

Barreft fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 2, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I own zero consoles and do not use a controller on my PC and I recite from memory that the layouts are:

Playstation:
Triangle
Square Circle
X

Xbox:
Y
X B
A

Nintendo:
Total Garbage Layout
X
Y A
B

The xbox layout is also what I expect when I pick up an unfamiliar controller as a western PC gamer because those are the most ubiquitous controllers (being used widely on both pc and xbox) and because alphabetical progression goes from left to right on it like the majority of the world's languages, so the steam deck layout looks... exactly like I would have expected it to.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 2, 2022

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

deep dish peat moss posted:

I own zero consoles and do not use a controller on my PC and I recite from memory that the layouts are:

Playstation:
Triangle
Square Circle
X

Xbox:
Y
X B
A

Nintendo:
Total Garbage Layout
X
Y A
B

The xbox layout is also what I expect when I pick up an unfamiliar controller as a western PC gamer because those are the most ubiquitous controllers (being used widely on both pc and xbox) and because alphabetical progression goes from left to right on it like the majority of the world's languages, so the steam deck layout looks... exactly like I would have expected it to.

If I've learned anything from crypto and NFTs, people are unfathomably dumb. Just stupid as poo poo every one of us.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nintendo was there first, they get to choose where A and B are.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

alphabetical progression goes from left to right on it

the left most letter on the xbox layout is X

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
in fact, if we consider that left right reading also implies top to bottom then the order of letters for nintendo reads as:

x -> y -> a -> b

vs

y -> x -> b -> a

therefore, using evidential scientific analysis, we can show that the nintendo layout makes much more sense

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yes, the leftmost letter on xbox layout is an X, which is why the Y is to the right of it. Critically on the bad controller the X comes after the Y

This is in line with the cardinal directionsof videogame world

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Playstation buttons only have two letters on them which makes it even more confusing

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Kwolok posted:

I think you don't understand just how little hardware is packed into this thing. It has 8 graphics CUs, running on 14w (shared with the CPU). The lowest end RDNA 2 card AMD has released so far has 28 CUs, and a 130w power budget alone. The steam deck (best I can tell from some google) will hit 60fps at 720p medium in Doom Eternal, a 970 will hold 60+ at 1080p high. There's a reason it has a 720p screen, thats all its capable of pushing, and even then they're targeting 30fps for more demanding current gen games. That said, it should be a fine experience on its screen and for 2d games it doesn't really matter at all.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm going to design a controller where each button is denominated only be a retro sci-fi laser-gun toy sound effect that plays when you press it, and instead of visual button prompts in games you will just hear the pewpewpew or booooooa boooooooa booooooooah

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

I think you don't understand just how little hardware is packed into this thing. It has 8 graphics CUs, running on 14w (shared with the CPU). The lowest end RDNA 2 card AMD has released so far has 28 CUs, and a 130w power budget alone. The steam deck (best I can tell from some google) will hit 60fps at 720p medium in Doom Eternal, a 970 will hold 60+ at 1080p high. There's a reason it has a 720p screen, thats all its capable of pushing, and even then they're targeting 30fps for more demanding current gen games. That said, it should be a fine experience on its screen and for 2d games it doesn't really matter at all.

This is a handheld PC that you can get for $399. No one thinks they are getting a powerful $2k PC in this thing.

Well unless they didn't bother to read about it on the very same page they reserve......

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Barreft posted:

This is a handheld PC that you can get for $399. No one thinks they are getting a powerful $2k PC in this thing.

Well unless they didn't bother to read about it on the very same page they reserve......
You'll never believe what they didn't do

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

homeless snail posted:

Nintendo was there first, they get to choose where A and B are.
You can't make a controller with a d-pad and not be aware of Nintendo's layout. You can ignore it or whatever but it's not ignorance.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Barreft posted:

Obviously nobody thinks it will be comparable to a top-end PC (i hope), but a lot of people may not be aware of what the specs mean. You can see "8 Compute Units" and "1.1 - 1.6 GHz GPU Clock" on the spec sheet and come away having no idea what that means in practice unless you're an uber tech nerd like some of us. People have been overestimating the hardware pretty consistently throughout this thread (such as thinking it'll run Yuzu or RPCS3 consistently smooth, or it'll run at 800p as well as a GTX 970 does at 1080p, neither of which will be true)

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Obviously nobody thinks it will be comparable to a top-end PC (i hope), but a lot of people may not be aware of what the specs mean. You can see "8 Compute Units" and "1.1 - 1.6 GHz GPU Clock" on the spec sheet and come away having no idea what that means in practice unless you're an uber tech nerd like some of us. People have been overestimating the hardware pretty consistently throughout this thread (such as thinking it'll run Yuzu or RPCS3 consistently smooth, or it'll run at 800p as well as a GTX 970 does at 1080p, neither of which will be true)

No one gives a poo poo about comp units, they just want to play games handheld like with the Switch (God's Console)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Yes, the leftmost letter on xbox layout is an X, which is why the Y is to the right of it. Critically on the bad controller the X comes after the Y

This is in line with the cardinal directionsof videogame world

a is to the right of it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Barreft posted:

No one gives a poo poo about comp units, they just want to play games handheld like with the Switch (God's Console)

Yes
And again, primarily Yakuza
More will come but those games belong in my hands

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Barreft posted:

theyre directly responding to someone overestimating it lol

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Stux posted:

theyre directly responding to someone overestimating it lol

Yeah who's a dumbass

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Modded XCOM will also be very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Apparently Valve has also said you'll be able to change the TDP if you want. Its not clear if they mean within / near the 4-15w window or up to the 35w these parts nominally run at, but it'll be interesting to see what it can do on a higher power budget / before the cooling gives out.