Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Crusader Kings 3: Now we're talking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

That's insane. Also props to the CK3 team for having such a malleable game.

E:

PittTheElder posted:

Crusader Kings 3: Now we're talking

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jan 20, 2022

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Hellioning posted:

From the makers of "What if you could play CK3 battles in Mount and Blade Bannerlord?":

What if you could talk to CK3 characters via DeepL machine learning?

I'm shocked this hasn't blown up with people talking about it. Even with the chance of it being fake or lovely, it's still a loving insane example of how AI Dungeon style applications of GPT-2 could affect real rear end games.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I got this finishing up a CK2 campaign the other day:

:rznv:

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Pretty cool undeadifying tech here for EK2.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/749107944733278389/934850004969996369/Attredbus.webm

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

This is sick and in a few years the mods for this game are going to be insane

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I just hope we get some mods (or ideally real updates) that change up the gameplay to make it more historical. Like I fired up the game as Byzantium just to look around at how the cultures were set up, and the way the empire is modeled as a Norman feudal kingdom is just sad.

I want to see centralized taxes, salaries for the notables, appointing officers to lead the standing army, civil wars over who gets to reign in place of the child emperor, and actual opponents in the east. Like yea by 867 the Abbasid Caliph is not what it once was, but it still took a century and a half for the Romans to secure control over Syria and Armenia. Meanwhile in the game you can just walk all over them right from the get go. :smith:

E: territorial gain is just hideously easy in this game, I don't really know where to start with fixing that.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 25, 2022

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Seconding the alternate rulership thing, my last run was a ironman (the only way I can play, to stop myself from scumming) run where I started as a nobody-count and got my kid on the throne, only to find out that Byzantium is nothing special. I feel cheated, as if those evil devs *knew* I would assume that feature would have carried over from ck2, the rotten sods.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

A new Catholic-focused mod launched today: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2730456007

Investiture, anti-popes, college of cardinals, that kind of stuff. Looks like it was a system spun out from the Kingdom of Heaven overhaul.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

I just hope we get some mods (or ideally real updates) that change up the gameplay to make it more historical. Like I fired up the game as Byzantium just to look around at how the cultures were set up, and the way the empire is modeled as a Norman feudal kingdom is just sad.

I want to see centralized taxes, salaries for the notables, appointing officers to lead the standing army, civil wars over who gets to reign in place of the child emperor, and actual opponents in the east. Like yea by 867 the Abbasid Caliph is not what it once was, but it still took a century and a half for the Romans to secure control over Syria and Armenia. Meanwhile in the game you can just walk all over them right from the get go. :smith:

E: territorial gain is just hideously easy in this game, I don't really know where to start with fixing that.

The answer to the first part of your post, about wanting CKIII to model other types of governances and similar, has a complex answer for the “why” but I do think they want to add things like that into the game.

The second, that taking land and gaining power is easy, is for two reasons. First, the game is designed to allow characters to build up to high titles and lots of land quickly - but the death of that character will fracture their holdings. This changes with the later years as power centralizes but is still generally true. Second, the AI is controlled by the traits of the character whereas the player is under no obligation to roleplay. If your goal is to paint the map with your coat of arms, you will quickly find that there’s not much resistance to that in the game. Try setting different goals, like having every king in Iberia be of your dynasty while you control all of France, or similar.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I mean that's not particularly hard either. Part of the problem is just that the AI is completely inept at warfare so it's not going to put up any resistance to whatever you want to do. Outside of the opening decades of single county starts there's very little risk of losing a war.

To draw on my Roman muckings, I'd say an actual goal would be "ally with the Magyars and convince them to come wreck Bulgaria". The problem is that the faith rules makes that completely unworkable, and also why would you bother given how passive the AI is?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah I fully expecpt the Byzantines to get a flavor pack that gives him something more akin to their historical behavior, because it's an obvious missed opportunity and because Paradox is full of byzantophiles who refuse to let it not exist and be relevant in their games.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I mean more than anything what I want is to see something like the loss of Anatolia. And not because a bunch of Seljuks conquered it in a big war (they didn't), but because of a raging civil war that sees the Roman commanders turning over territory in order to secure Turkish fighters. That's the cool poo poo I want to see in this game, not "hard-coded no civil war until 1091 lol"

I'm surprised it wasn't actually the first expansion tbh, for all the reasons you say. Swedes are gonna Viking tho.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Its been a while since I played but I don't really have a problem with how easy it is to take territory but it should be a lot harder to hold it. There should be a lot more independence wars in general, especially if you aren't the de jure ruler of a vassal

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I just want regencies back, it's silly that a one year old makes all the decisions in his kingdom, and figuring out who to entrust the regency to was a fun thing.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

pidan posted:

I just want regencies back, it's silly that a one year old makes all the decisions in his kingdom, and figuring out who to entrust the regency to was a fun thing.

you mean "Watching as every law change you made is undone without any ability to do anything about it because your mom is suddenly not the regent anymore for some reason"? I think every regency I ever had was just closing my eyes and waiting to hit 18. Wasn't much to do during one, and they'd generally wreck everything out of nowhere.

I don't mind them in theory, but in practice, oof.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I mean I wouldn't even hate that, as long as changing it back is limited by characters that would stop you and not "this can only be changed once per lifetime"

e: Also there's a modding dev diary. https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/ck3-dev-diary-87-royal-modding.1507899/

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 26, 2022

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PittTheElder posted:

I mean I wouldn't even hate that, as long as changing it back is limited by characters that would stop you and not "this can only be changed once per lifetime"

e: Also there's a modding dev diary. https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/ck3-dev-diary-87-royal-modding.1507899/

Gay marriage as a game rule has already made some people REAL loving MAD too. Get your popcorn, guys!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Gay marriage as a game rule has already made some people REAL loving MAD too. Get your popcorn, guys!

It's that they are just adding it in as a base game rule after they broke the stuff that let you kludge it together. Nice to finally not have to resort to that.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eimi posted:

It's that they are just adding it in as a base game rule after they broke the stuff that let you kludge it together. Nice to finally not have to resort to that.

Yeah that's not why they're mad, people are screaming about historical accuracy like they always do when Paradox lets you do anything fun.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

Yeah that's not why they're mad, people are screaming about historical accuracy like they always do when Paradox lets you do anything fun.

They should double down and make it so you get gay married by Aztec priests, then.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Midnight Voyager posted:

You seem overly excited about outrage that barely exists.

Most people seem really stoked on the same-sex marriage rule being included.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

How is the inheritance going to work with Gay marriage?
Do you need nieces/nephews or is there some formal adopt a heir system?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There are definitely some people mad enough to post in the dev diary thread about how they don't like that it's been added.

They're also vastly outweighed by the people in favour of it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

adhuin posted:

My read is that there's no adoption system. You'll need to find heirs from other branches of the family, or previous marriages, or have some bastards on the side to legitimise.

Or if your religion allows concubinage or polygamy that can give you direct heirs while also being married to a same-sex partner.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

adhuin posted:

Inheritance can certainly pass to your siblings if you don't have children of your own.

And there's no adoption system in the game, though it's certainly possible to mod one in, the extant Byzantine mod does this.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PizzaProwler posted:

You seem overly excited about outrage that barely exists.

Most people seem really stoked on the same-sex marriage rule being included.

I found this when Steam notified me of a new dev diary and the comments were a warzone for fifteen pages. (Not that I read all of them, I just glanced and oof)

I'm stoked for the feature myself.

PittTheElder posted:

Inheritance can certainly pass to your siblings if you don't have children of your own.

And there's no adoption system in the game, though it's certainly possible to mod one in, the extant Byzantine mod does this.

it's not terribly related, but so does the Vampire mod. Adoption seems pretty doable as a mod in general.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Same rando was raging about gay marriage in the steam forum. Down to posting that it’s anti straight bigotry to not allow a “no homosexuals at all” game rule.

And complaining about the whites only stellaris mod getting removed being racist against straight whites.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Same rando was raging about gay marriage in the steam forum. Down to posting that it’s anti straight bigotry to not allow a “no homosexuals at all” game rule.

And complaining about the whites only stellaris mod getting removed being racist against straight whites.

Yeah it's nice how Steam informs me of the dev diaries when they come out, but it also means a whole lotta this. Nice to see the account bans fall though, because they do at least have SOME moderation.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

so here's a weird edge case I came across: the Kingdom of Italy got formed out of nowhere by a populist revolt, then its peasant king lost a Liberty War and abdicated. Since he didn't have any heirs, I guess it just passed directly to the head of the Liberty Faction? lucky for her, I guess

on my next run, another populist revolt formed the appropriately coloured Kingdom of Pis(a):

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Gato posted:

the appropriately coloured Kingdom of Pis(a):

See a doctor.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
8 days left.

The paradox grand strategy channel released two tutorials for mechanics in royal court, they have some juicy spoilers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7z1OVhV4HI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2Q8WCuhgXY

Some nice benefits from amenities--

The unique artifacts seem bonkers good.

But that's not even the best one

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Effortless +25 vassal limit is pretty nice.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Is all the information about culture changes compiled in one place anywhere?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Here's what I really care about : the new achievements!

https://www.crusaderkings.com/en/pc...0220201_cawe_dd

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I just noticed that Royal Court is already in my library but I have no memory of pre-ordering it. Genuinely mysterious.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Maybe you bought the release bundle that includes the first expansions? I sure did.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Oh yeah, it must be something like that. I definitely pre-ordered the base game but I don't remember buying any kind of fancy special edition because I never usually do that. Oh well, pretty cool to get it for "free".

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

SlothBear posted:

Is all the information about culture changes compiled in one place anywhere?

Probably not exactly what you are looking for but I found this video interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0i4oRvrFjE

I am really looking forward to this expansion, looks very good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

fuf posted:

I just noticed that Royal Court is already in my library but I have no memory of pre-ordering it. Genuinely mysterious.

Yeah if you look up the Royal Edition package on Steam it lists the components, one of which is Royal Court, and one of which remains an unannounced placeholder.