Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wasn't the Kami War caused by humans loving up the Kami?

Do we have the Neon Kamigawa story yet?

Yes. Konda stole the head kamis daughter and used it to make himself indestructible (both in game and story). And the flavor of a lot of cards is "we're all going to die"
And yes we have the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

This is a pretty deece one drop

Reinforced Ronin R

Artifact creature Human Samurai

2/2

Haste

At the begging of your end step return ~ to your hand.

Channel- 1R discard ~, draw a card.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Antillie posted:

Recently I went down to my local games shop to see about getting back into the game and as far as I can tell everyone just plays commander these days, a format I have no real interest in due to the no duplicates rule.

yep, commander freaks running amok nowadays. sad story but very common.

Antillie posted:

Also there seems to be a real focus on not making decks too strong. I honestly have no idea how good terrible my old decks are.

u sure thats not another commander thing? they have to do that social contract stuff bc the format is a mess that can range from jankville to legacy tier poo poo. afaik thats not rly a thing if ur playing a normal format.

Antillie posted:

I really just want to have some casual fun, not seal club other people who have newer or less coherent decks. In general I would greatly prefer to play with no power 9, no proxies, and no more than 4 duplicates. Are these reasonable expectations or am I just being dumb?

no more than 4 duplicates is a thing in every format ever. finding a player group thats gonna let u play the old cards but not be either legacy/vintage (which are insanely powerful formats that will kick ur rear end) or commander nonsense will be the challenge.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Reinforced Ronin R

2/2

Haste

This card is dope

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mcmagic posted:

This card is dope

I like it a lot, evades hate and replaces itself later in the game when it's outlived its usefulness.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Antillie posted:

So I played magic a ton like 20 years ago. Back then the only way I ever played was 60 cards to a deck, no more than 4 of each card except basic lands, and each player started with 20 life. Games were either 1 on 1, 2 on 2, or 3 or 4 player free for alls. Recently I went down to my local games shop to see about getting back into the game and as far as I can tell everyone just plays commander these days, a format I have no real interest in due to the no duplicates rule. Of course it was "commander night" (I didn't know what that meant until I got there) so maybe other days are not so commander focused.

Also there seems to be a real focus on not making decks too strong. I honestly have no idea how good terrible my old decks are. Back in the day they won a bit less than half of the time. (One of my friends had a really mean balance/zuran orb deck.) I've got five mono color decks, one of each color. I don't know what they would be called these days but by the old naming conventions:

The red one is a burn deck based around aether flash, cheap burn spells, a few big creatures and some mass nuking (wake of destruction/nevinyrral's disk).
The green one is a stompy creature deck based around rabid wombats, ancestral mask, and other enchants that give +X and/or trample.
The white one is a white weenie deck based around white knight analogs, soltari champion, glorious anthem, and damage redirection and protection from color of choice shenanigans.
The blue one is a control deck with lots of counter spells and ways to render opposing creatures unable to do anything (opposition, fog bank, propaganda, vodalian illusionist).
The black one is a pestilence deck with urza's armor, small creatures that regenerate, and some discard and land destruction mixed in.

I don't have any of the power 9 or anything like that but I am a little worried that if I do find people to play with my decks will be so overpowered by virtue of being made of nothing but old cards that nobody will want to play me. (I remember getting crushed by older cards a lot back in the day.) Would I be better off just building a modern format deck and shelving these old things unless someone says they want to play against an old school deck? Or should I just pull them out, tell people what they are and what they do, and let them pick which one I play as?

I really just want to have some casual fun, not seal club other people who have newer or less coherent decks. In general I would greatly prefer to play with no power 9, no proxies, and no more than 4 duplicates. Are these reasonable expectations or am I just being dumb?

Your decks are going to suck rear end. A handful of old cards are crazy powerful, most of them have been completely left in the dust by newer cards. I don't know where to find 60 card casual these days, but you're going to have to build new decks even for kitchen table play unless playing against decks of similar age.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 2, 2022

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I like it a lot, evades hate and replaces itself later in the game when it's outlived its usefulness.

its a cool design but i cant 4 the life of me figure out if its gonna actually be good or not. gonna need ppl to take the fall and show me the results first.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Fucker posted:

no more than 4 duplicates is a thing in every format ever. finding a player group thats gonna let u play the old cards but not be either legacy/vintage (which are insanely powerful formats that will kick ur rear end) or commander nonsense will be the challenge.

I don't mind playing legacy/vintage as all my stuff is in that age class. I used to play against balance-zorb decks, tolarian academy decks, and the like all the time. The academy decks were the only ones I could never really beat. Loosing doesn't bother me.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the power level of legacy was baseline back when I played. And my decks were all built and tuned in that environment. Hence my worry that they will be OP against the decks of today.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 2, 2022

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Fucker posted:

its a cool design but i cant 4 the life of me figure out if its gonna actually be good or not. gonna need ppl to take the fall and show me the results first.

Its just going to take some playing with it to figure out. Its a very interesting design space. Its basically a dash only creature with a useful channel.

I am curious, is the channel "discard this card and draw a card" or discard another card? Because if its just cycling, this card is dope as gently caress.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Sickening posted:

Its just going to take some playing with it to figure out. Its a very interesting design space. Its basically a dash only creature with a useful channel.

I am curious, is the channel "discard this card and draw a card" or discard another card? Because if its just cycling, this card is dope as gently caress.

channel is always "discard this card", im pretty sure
and yeah, looking at the card w/ my middling spanish, its saying it discards itself

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Fucker posted:

Take the fall of... owning 4 uncommons?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fucker posted:

channel is always "discard this card", im pretty sure
and yeah, looking at the card w/ my middling spanish, its saying it discards itself

Yeah it's this. It's a cycling effect on this card basically

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SOLID SNAKE: Acquisiton Octopus?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

SOLID SNAKE: Acquisiton Octopus?

Love the name.
Otherwise meh

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

mikeraskol posted:

That seems kind of just good in general.

Dies to Spikefield and costs 3BBB for a 5/5 menace creature. I don't think so.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fucker posted:

The next time there is a good red deck in standard it will 100% play 4 of this.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Your decks are going to suck rear end. A handful of old cards are crazy powerful, most of them have been completely left in the dust by newer cards. I don't know where to find 60 card casual these days, but you're going to have to build new decks even for kitchen table play unless playing against decks of similar age.

Edit: Totally misread that.

So my old stuff is junk? Well I guess that's better than being OP. At least I can play with them.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 2, 2022

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Antillie posted:

So I've got one person saying that legacy decks will kick my rear end, and another person saying my decks (which are legacy) will destroy everything that isn't also legacy. Damnit. I was really hoping for something in between those two extremes.

Ah perhaps you've heard of something called Modern...

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Eej posted:

Ah perhaps you've heard of something called Modern...

I have. And I would have to buy all new cards to play in it. Oh well, I guess that is just what I am stuck with.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Dies to Spikefield and costs 3BBB for a 5/5 menace creature. I don't think so.

I am fairly sure that the minimum for equipment to be playable is the equip cost has to be <=2 or be powerful enough to want to cheat onto a creature. It might be the second part, maybe.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Antillie posted:

So my old stuff is junk? Well I guess that's better than being OP. At least I can play with them.

i'd definitely spend a bit of time appraising your cards because sometimes the weirdest old cards are worth something

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sickening posted:

I am fairly sure that the minimum for equipment to be playable is the equip cost has to be <=2 or be powerful enough to want to cheat onto a creature. It might be the second part, maybe.

i don't know how valid that is for these equipments that are also simultaneously a creature. the downside of equipment being useless on an empty board is gone (since it's a creature) and a creature that you can upgrade into being more useful later in the game has always been a nice pickup in limited

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

E: edit for an edit

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
e: nvm

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

flatluigi posted:

i don't know how valid that is for these equipments that are also simultaneously a creature. the downside of equipment being useless on an empty board is gone (since it's a creature) and a creature that you can upgrade into being more useful later in the game has always been a nice pickup in limited

Oh I think it's a really really good limited card. But I was responding to someone who liked it in constructed. I think Sickening was too.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

flatluigi posted:

Its going to be interesting to figure it out. A 3/1 artifact creature with menace is not good enough on its own. The ability to upgrade another creature later is interesting, but is the effect powerful enough for the investment?

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

flatluigi posted:

i'd definitely spend a bit of time appraising your cards because sometimes the weirdest old cards are worth something

Ha, yeah sell them all and then split a warhammer 40k starter box with someone.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The mono-b deck in Pioneer was hurting for good 2 drops after Copter got banned, this seems like it could be a potential upgrade for the Scrapheap Scroungers. Evasive beater early game that lets your other stuff swing in for 5+ with menace for reach in the late game isn’t exciting but feels strong to me.

fadam fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 2, 2022

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Antillie posted:

Would you post a decklist, just to give us an idea?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

play on this old card

(reprint)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Oh I think it's a really really good limited card. But I was responding to someone who liked it in constructed. I think Sickening was too.

i meant it in constructed as well; my mentioning of limited was more trying to compare this new idea (equipment creatures) to something that tends to go well instead of staying stuck in the idea of 'equipment is almost never worth it in constructed'

Antillie posted:

well, no, i mean 'take the time to go through and see if anything's worth it specifically' instead of selling it all in bulk (especially since you expressed wanting to play with some of that collection)

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

flatluigi posted:

I’d evaluate them similarly to living weapon cards. This one seems like it’s pretty strong and could see play in aggro decks in the right meta.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Antillie posted:

I don't mind playing legacy/vintage as all my stuff is in that age class. I used to play against balance-zorb decks, tolarian academy decks, and the like all the time. The academy decks were the only ones I could never really beat. Loosing doesn't bother me.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the power level of legacy was baseline back when I played. And my decks were all built and tuned in that environment. Hence my worry that they will be OP against the decks of today.

wotc has an event/store locator on their website, you can plug in your city and see if there's a shop nearby that runs legacy events.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Reinforced Ronin R

2/2

Haste

is this not a strictly better goblin guide?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ilmucche posted:

No. Goblin guide doesn’t need to tie up red mana every turn.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

ilmucche posted:

you have to replay it every turn

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

its a goblin guide ragavan with a slower dash that cumulatively gets more expensive but alternatively you can cycle it.. i mean channel it for a card.

will work well with ninjitsu

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

fadam posted:

The mono-b deck in Pioneer was hurting for good 2 drops after Copter got banned, this seems like it could be a potential upgrade for the Scrapheap Scroungers. Evasive beater early game that lets your other stuff swing in for 5+ with menace for reach in the late game isn’t exciting but feels strong to me.

This is what I was thinking basically. Yeah Spikefield is an issue here but I don't know, I like the card for aggressive black decks.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Pretty good Lurrus target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I think Reinforced Ronin will actually fit in pretty well in Obosh midrange builds. Pitchable to Fury, helps enable delirium since it's two types and can be grabbed with Chandra Dressed to Kill