Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
speaking of which, it's raid night, so I started FlipFlappers

The art style is really good. The colors are so vivid! I'm already guessing that there's probably some symbolism with the fact that they turned grayscale in the area in between worlds. I also like the stylistic choice to just draw the backgrounds in a whimsical, watercolor-ish style that doesn't match the characters at all, when most animation goes through great pains to disguise the fact that the backgrounds and moving parts are drawn separately

Also nobody has lower eyelids and their eyeballs transition smoothly into their cheeks, which is impossible to unsee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I thought that posting about the art style one episode in was a safe bet, but I see I was sorely mistaken,

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

FlipFlappers is wild man, you are in for a visual treat.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
anyways while I'm posting and inflating my backlog, I did some checking and I think the period where I was regularly watching currently-airing shows was only like 2002-2010 or so. I watched a few shows after that when they caught my eye for one reason or another, but not on a regular basis. And also my tastes have changed a lot since then so I probably missed a lot of things I'd love now. And my coverage of classic anime (90s and earlier) was very spotty. Like I should probably watch evangelion, I assume

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
evangelion's interesting. i have my own thoughts about eva overall but the themes of the show and a lot of its major visuals, and its cultural influence, are worthwhile to watch it for

though honestly i'd give an equal rec to martian successor nadesico, its life was shorter and its influence died out faster in some ways but at the time it was around the same level of popularity and it's a very excellent mecha anime that has aged extremely well

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I would also heavily rec nadesico

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

nadesico is good

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

surf rock posted:

I'm still working my way through The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (thank you all again for pointing me to the broadcast order; I can't imagine having watched it chronologically). While doing so, I became curious about what were the other goon consensus "best shows" of past years. I figured I could figure that out pretty easily by going through the records here. Then I went through the list and flagged the top one or two shows from each year, sometimes skipping further down the list if the very top ones didn't appeal to me for whatever reason. Here's what I came up with:

2006 Haruhi Suzumiya*
2007 Death Note* / Gurren Lagann
2008 Kaiba
2009 K-On!
2010 K-ON!!
2011 Madoka Magica*
2012 Chihayafuru
2013 Attack on Titan
2014 Ping Pong
2015 Shirobako / One Punch Man*
2016 Mob Psycho 100
2017 Girls' Last Tour
2018 A Place Further Than The Universe
2019 Kaguya-sama: Love is War
2020 Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!
2021 Odd Taxi

Asterisks added to shows I've watched (or am about to finish). Feels like a pretty mix of genres here. Anyway, thought I'd share this to spark nostalgic feelings of shows folks here loved and maybe forgot as time passed.

Fixed

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

cheetah7071 posted:

anyways while I'm posting and inflating my backlog, I did some checking and I think the period where I was regularly watching currently-airing shows was only like 2002-2010 or so. I watched a few shows after that when they caught my eye for one reason or another, but not on a regular basis. And also my tastes have changed a lot since then so I probably missed a lot of things I'd love now. And my coverage of classic anime (90s and earlier) was very spotty. Like I should probably watch evangelion, I assume

Watch Escaflowne

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF1g6nUmCYM

marumaru
May 20, 2013

surf rock posted:

2007 Death Note* / Gurren Lagann

man death note is one of those animes from the time before i watched anime, so when i watched it later (remembering full well how incredibly popular it had been) i was just incredibly disappointed. it was boring. i ended up dropping it shortly after L takes the L and that annoying-rear end chick shows up. that sucked

marumaru
May 20, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

speaking of which, it's raid night, so I started FlipFlappers

The art style is really good. The colors are so vivid! I'm already guessing that there's probably some symbolism with the fact that they turned grayscale in the area in between worlds. I also like the stylistic choice to just draw the backgrounds in a whimsical, watercolor-ish style that doesn't match the characters at all, when most animation goes through great pains to disguise the fact that the backgrounds and moving parts are drawn separately

Also nobody has lower eyelids and their eyeballs transition smoothly into their cheeks, which is impossible to unsee

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
https://twitter.com/SugoiLITE/status/1488878220275437570

That certainly came out of nowhere...

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sakurazuka posted:

Watch Escaflowne

I just started a rewatch of this. It was (along with Lain), the show that got me into anime as a medium.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
here’s what I know about Bastard: I could never figure out how to do any special moves in the weird snes fighting game

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Ouch, don't just let your post standing around.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

past

marumaru
May 20, 2013

psst

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

:piss:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Pyst is so good because there's only like two jokes about the game itself and they're all "this game is hard" and everything else is like puns and lovely sketches. There's also a behind the scenes video where one guy says "Oh, some video game developers are getting too full of themselves, they might benefit from a visit to Pyst Island" and you compare the credits and like 5 times as many people were involved in Pyst as Myst so lol

And also somehow it has John Goodman in it?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

We're living in a post-post society.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
What are some good anime review/news site to ANN?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

me. simply ask me about any anime and I'll give you a review and an objectively determined numerical score

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I should add, the reviews will be short. I'm not getting paid by the word here

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Willo567 posted:

What are some good anime review/news site to ANN?

i don't know, ask them! ha ha

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Waffleman_ posted:

Pyst is so good because there's only like two jokes about the game itself and they're all "this game is hard" and everything else is like puns and lovely sketches. There's also a behind the scenes video where one guy says "Oh, some video game developers are getting too full of themselves, they might benefit from a visit to Pyst Island" and you compare the credits and like 5 times as many people were involved in Pyst as Myst so lol

And also somehow it has John Goodman in it?

this describes every single one of that dev's games

i like the x-files "parody" where one of the jokes is just "ellen degeneres is a lesbian. but what if ellen degeneres was a lesbian... alien... who only likes aliens from the same planet as her (???)" and then you play pac-man but mulder is pac-man

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I liked Nadesico but boy that movie did nothing for me

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

theres no good anime review sites, you just gotta find individual people with good taste. such as me

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

I liked Nadesico but boy that movie did nothing for me

That's the common opinion on it.
I don't know how good the Saturn game is.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Colonel posted:

this describes every single one of that dev's games

i like the x-files "parody" where one of the jokes is just "ellen degeneres is a lesbian. but what if ellen degeneres was a lesbian... alien... who only likes aliens from the same planet as her (???)" and then you play pac-man but mulder is pac-man

And their Windows parody which has a whole game about how much cooler Steve Jobs is than Bill Gates

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Lurking Haro posted:

That's the common opinion on it.
I don't know how good the Saturn game is.

All I know about the Saturn game is that apparently people thought it explained stuff that Prince of Darkness didn't cover, but that turned out to be wrong.

I wonder what plans they had for the other two movies aside from Akito getting back his sense of taste?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

homeless snail posted:

me. simply ask me about any anime and I'll give you a review and an objectively determined numerical score

mobile suit zeta gundam

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

mobile suit zeta gundam
his name's fuckin quattro bajeena, 10/10

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

homeless snail posted:

brain powered

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

someone I went my entire life without realizing Rayearth was magical girl mechs, instead of just magical girls

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Willo567 posted:

brain powered

The best song on muse dash but really hard to clear 8/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Willo567 posted:

brain powered

it's good 6/10