Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Data Graham posted:

Elon Musk fanboys indistinguishable from Ken M

Ken M is funny. Musk fanboys are laughable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

I still can't forgive my primary school teacher for telling me that if gravity turned off, everything would "float up" which is a complete misunderstanding of Newton's three laws.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

There's only 1 hard problem in computer science. Off by one errors, and not repeating yourself. And off by 2 errors.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AlbieQuirky posted:

Reasoning someone out of a position they didn’t reason themselves into is nearly impossible
Nice, nice insight.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Scratch Monkey posted:

Most Chinese people I know who adopted western names did so because they were tired of people mispronouncing their actual name.
A wonderful British comedy performer used to perform as "Shappi Khorsandi" because of childhood bullying. She just recently said "gently caress it" and will be performing as Shaparak Khorsandi hereafter.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

A wonderful British comedy performer used to perform as "Shappi Khorsandi" because of childhood bullying. She just recently said "gently caress it" and will be performing as Shaparak Khorsandi hereafter.

Also Thandiwe Newton, who was only Thandie because of a spelling mistake in the credits of her first big roll IIRC.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Prurient Squid posted:

I still can't forgive my primary school teacher for telling me that if gravity turned off, everything would "float up" which is a complete misunderstanding of Newton's three laws.

The "Five Sexes" history teacher I mentioned earlier insisted to all of us that gravity was a myth and the reason we stuck to the earth was centrifugal force.

Thanks for reminding me

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Data Graham posted:

The "Five Sexes" history teacher I mentioned earlier insisted to all of us that gravity was a myth and the reason we stuck to the earth was centrifugal force.

But centrifugal force (which exists mainly in a practical sense if not an actual sense) would push you away from the center of the rotating earth?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Then again there are some Chinese foreign exchange students at my college who absolutely do that the other way round -- going by an "English name" that doesn't really have any relation to their Chinese given name.

Yeah, that's pretty common in non-anglophone countries when they study English, especially I think in Asian countries, then if they emigrate to an Anglophone country they'll continue to use that name when speaking English.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Scratch Monkey posted:

But centrifugal force (which exists mainly in a practical sense if not an actual sense) would push you away from the center of the rotating earth?

Liberals will deny this but actually the universe is rotating around the Earth, so its centrifugal force is pushing us down

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Scratch Monkey posted:

I tried to explain this to him but he yelled at me

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

steinrokkan posted:

Sure this sucks, but has there ever been more disgustingly bougie, narcissistic chain of reasoning than "somebody did X so I made a loving zine about it and posted to the world about it, also I'm selling the zine"

yeah! many things!

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Liberals will deny this but actually the universe is rotating around the Earth, so its centrifugal force is pushing us down

Um it is in fact a million tiny invisible angels pushing you down all the time to keep you from flying off of the earth.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Zero_Grade posted:

I'm unsure what lesson about Spanish those skits were intended to teach, but they do sound pretty entertaining and I wish I got to do stuff like that. Also Salvador is a sweet name.
We did little skits like that a lot in Japanese class. For us it was to learn how to put together conversations and stuff. And this was a class I took the final semester before I graduated the Swedish equivalent of high school, and we definitely got a bit silly about it sometimes. One I do remember involved a mention of going out drinking with Pikachu.

If nothing else, it made the class extremely memorable, and the reason I decided to start studying Japanese at university. While I ended up not continuing those studies full time after the first semester and eventually got a master's degree in something else entirely, it gave me a solid starting point for further Japanese studies, and of all my pre-university classes, it's the one I think back on with by far the most fondness.

KennyMan666 has a new favorite as of 19:57 on Feb 2, 2022

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

endocriminologist posted:

yeah! many things!

not an empty quote because, for example, the zine didn't exploit the labor of others for passive profit

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I could understand Heena's position if OP was saying "I'm going to have the package thief arrested!" Because I'd balk at ruining someone's life over some tchotchkes. But a zine? A zine is the worst consequence the thief has to face? We should all be so lucky!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

https://twitter.com/KrisenaComposes/status/1488884228460793859?t=bh1T1RdTUX1SCgSKccpyDg&s=19

DA WHITE DUDE FROM FINLAND LAYING THA SMACKDOWN ON BLACK BLUES MUSICIANS!!!

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Anime avatar

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

steinrokkan posted:

Sure this sucks, but has there ever been more disgustingly bougie, narcissistic chain of reasoning than "somebody did X so I made a loving zine about it and posted to the world about it, also I'm selling the zine"

Is probably made up to drum up sOcIaL mEdIa exposure anyway, all the hallmarks are there, just all around cancer from all angles.

So what did you get in the first package?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I have no idea what this means, but I am sure it is very stupid:

https://twitter.com/JoyceCarolOates/status/1488920061129764867

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

christmas boots posted:

So what did you get in the first package?

A bunch of Live Love Laugh stickers

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/leyawn/status/1488935995949072384

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Breetai posted:

One of my dad's former business partners back in the 80s was a guy named José.

He was a Taiwanese dude who was raised in an orphanage by nuns, who would let the kids choose their own names from a big book of names once they were old enough to read. Only José wanted to get a thoroughly American name like "Joe", but his reading skills weren't as strong as his enthusiasm, hence him pointing at the wrong name and subsequently enduring a life of people being very surprised whenever they met him face to face for the first time after initially communicating by phone.

This is loving hilarious.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Ahahahaha

https://twitter.com/CoinersTakingLs/status/1488629356100423682?s=20&t=8UC-9il2N4GrqWA7vVGPHg

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Pththya-lyi posted:

I could understand Heena's position if OP was saying "I'm going to have the package thief arrested!" Because I'd balk at ruining someone's life over some tchotchkes. But a zine? A zine is the worst consequence the thief has to face? We should all be so lucky!

???
arresting someone for literally stealing things from your home is cool and good
they should steal from corporations not people

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

no arguments here

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Corporations are people!

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

???
arresting someone for literally stealing things from your home is cool and good

arresting someone for stealing packages is actually uncool and bad. it sucks to have your packages stolen and it's ideal for folks to steal from big businesses whenever possible, agreed. in conclusion, gently caress the police.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Depends on what was in the packages too IMo. Like if someone stole a package with a book I'd be annoyed but it's not the end of the world. If I'm diabetic and they're stealing my insulin that's a bigger problem because now it's jeopardizing my health.

OTOH if they're stealing insulin (assuming they know that's what's in the package) they probably need it too and can't afford it so in conclusion dta

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Are "hipster girls" cutting off their feet now? That's a hell of an accessory.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Scratch Monkey posted:

Are "hipster girls" cutting off their feet now? That's a hell of an accessory.

The goal is getting up to the hip, thus the name. Only poseurs stop at the ankle.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shoes are hipster, apparently.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

christmas boots posted:

Depends on what was in the packages too IMo. Like if someone stole a package with a book I'd be annoyed but it's not the end of the world. If I'm diabetic and they're stealing my insulin that's a bigger problem because now it's jeopardizing my health.

OTOH if they're stealing insulin (assuming they know that's what's in the package) they probably need it too and can't afford it so in conclusion dta

I'm not sure that assumption holds up, to be fair; pourch piracy is usually a crime of opportunity. Grab poo poo when nobody's looking, and sort it out at home.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Neito posted:

I'm not sure that assumption holds up, to be fair; pourch piracy is usually a crime of opportunity. Grab poo poo when nobody's looking, and sort it out at home.

Yeah, I kind of reasoned myself into a corner on that one.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

This person has never heard Tomoyasu Hotei

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

I bike a lot and one of the things I absolutely love to experience while biking is cars that don't stop at stop streets no matter the speed. Love? I mean hate. I already got hit by a car once last year and I now freaking suffer some kind of self diagnosed ptsd every time I come to a cross section and a car doesn't stop at the stop sign.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
stealing poo poo from strangers is a bad look; you don't know them or their circumstances, and the worst case scenarios are things like you make off with their insulin, which is useless to you but also they might die without it

if someone steals from you and you can eat the loss and are cool with it, that's fine, but they don't know that

please limit your cool crimes of stealing to scenarios where you are certain no one will die as a result, like shoplifting or running scams on tourists

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Yeah I don't see what makes this any better than regular burglary just because the stuff wasn’t yet inside the victim’s house. It's still their stuff.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

This person has never heard Tomoyasu Hotei

Also they live in the same country that produced Alexi Laiho’s work. They live under a loving rock. Considering it’s Finland, it’s an absolutely alcoholic-sodden rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
package thieves suck rear end, like I don't care enough about them to make a loving zine about it, maybe consider other outlets there, but it's such a dumb crime that does nothing for either party except make things more annoying and probably wind up a wash unless the package thief gets the one in a million of actually swiping a PS5 or something flippable. Like congrats on stealing my cat litter bro, I'm pissed I have to buy more, you're not gonna do poo poo with it, and my cat's annoyed too, nobody's happy here, nobody won!

It's crime gatcha gaming.