Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I just wanna play my dozens to hundreds of indie games on this, which I'm sure it'll crush, but also Metroid Dread because I don't have a Switch. Will it be able to emulate Metroid Dread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

FZeroRacer posted:

if anything i think people are vastly underestimating the steam deck because of how much having a standardized hardware profile contributes to the ability to actually optimize games for the platform.

Flagship franchise title SMT:V came out for the Switch and only the Switch and its pause menu transitions run at like 6 (six) FPS.

Most developers don't optimize even when they have a single release target. Conversely, the ones that do will get anything that want running on potatoes much weaker than the Steam Deck (sweet potatoes I suppose; yech).

e: ^ No it will not.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

everyone really seems to want this thing to emulate the Switch. might i recommend, buying a Nintendo Switch??? if that's what you intend to play?? it's half the price of the Deck

feels like me, snail and maybe a couple others are the only ones playing small/old/indie games on this

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

homeless snail posted:

Why does no one ever post this way about the Aya Neo?

Cause all twelve people who bought one are too busy playing games

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Tiny Timbs posted:

Streaming sucks and streaming over wifi particularly sucks so I wouldn't move myself to the back of the queue over that
In-house streaming is pretty great, even over wi-fi. I use Moonlight to stream games to our media PC (and to our hacked Switch) and it just works.

Thanks for your input, people. I'm leaning towards staying in the queue to later trade down for the cheap model and some dough.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The 7th Guest posted:

feels like me, snail and maybe a couple others are the only ones playing small/old/indie games on this

*raises hand*

I’m just using this to play games that really incentivize using a controller, which for me are mostly 2D indie games of various sorts that should run just fine.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

I'm jealous.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

Also the Neo is like 2x the price.

I have one and I love it but the deck is going to be a better device.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Infinite Karma posted:

I just wanna play my dozens to hundreds of indie games on this, which I'm sure it'll crush, but also Metroid Dread because I don't have a Switch. Will it be able to emulate Metroid Dread?

I'm a big fan of the hobbyist piracy brainworms that make people think "I want to spend more money to have worse performance at some indeterminate point in the future".

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Making a Deck category in my Steam library for games I wanna try on there.

Right now I got Death’s Door, Spelunky 2, Death Stranding, Chrono Trigger, The Witcher 3, Dark Souls 3, Dead Cells, Doom 2016, Dragon’s Dogma Dark Arisen, FFIX, Red Faction Guerilla Remarstered, Resident Evil 2 Remake, The Binding of Isaac Isaac Repentance, Skyrim Remastered, Void Bastards.

The ones I actually doubt will run well are The Witcher 3 (though I could see them porting their Switch copy into Steam Deck at some point) and Resident Evil 2. The rest are either verified or old or scale well.

I do have a Switch, but I expect games like Doom to run better on Deck.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The Deck's whole deal is it's a PC, which you can get to run whatever you want. That includes PC games of which it has been designed for, but also MS PowerPoint or whatever media player or AdBlock or horny VNs made by perverts. I'm not surprised people are wondering if it too could emulate the Switch because now they don't have to carry around a Switch as well. The Switch is a closed, not-meant-to-be-opened system.

"Just buy a switch lmao" doesn't really work because if it did, they'd already have one. People have their reasons.

Me, I don't have a switch because I am an adult :smugdog:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

KakerMix posted:

"Just buy a switch lmao" doesn't really work because if it did, they'd already have one. People have their reasons.

They should buy a switch imo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

KakerMix posted:

i think it's a good answer to someone who wants to play games, for the Nintendo Switch

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think it's a good answer to someone who wants to play games, for the Nintendo Switch

Not if that's secondary to what they want to do, which is play a bunch of their already-owned indie games.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

homeless snail posted:

Why does no one ever post this way about the Aya Neo?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Not if that's secondary to what they want to do, which is play a bunch of their already-owned indie games.
it doesn't seem secondary for some people!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I feel like this only furthers my point, thanks. If no one has unrealistic expectations about what the $1200 handheld pc can do, then why should they about the substantially similar one that's half the price?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Me, I don't have a switch because I am an adult :smugdog:
If you're too much of an adult to buy a Switch, I think that perhaps you're too much of an adult, to want to play Switch games.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

homeless snail posted:

I feel like this only furthers my point, thanks. If no one has unrealistic expectations about what the $1200 handheld pc can do, then why should they about the substantially similar one that's half the price?

one is made by Valve

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Taking notes, so people see the brand name and their brain immediately turns to goo. I see, very interesting.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

my deck is mainly going to be an emulation device for romhacks of old games that I can take with me places

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The 7th Guest posted:

you seriously need to get your expectations in check, this is the kind of baffling pre-release hype that turns into people getting angry when they get their hands on a game and the puddle reflections were downgraded

everyone, it's a handheld PC with significant compromises being priced at half of what the aya neo costs. look up videos of the aya neo and you'll get an idea of what the steam deck can do. it will not match the 970, it will not run all Switch games at 120fps, it will not output horizon forbidden west at 4k. everyone just stop it. stop it stop it stop it. and if you can't stop it, then don't get all mad in a month when the steam deck doesn't live up to your ridiculous speculation

can it run dwarf fortress without needing to be dipped in liquid nitrogen first

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

homeless snail posted:

If you're too much of an adult to buy a Switch, I think that perhaps you're too much of an adult, to want to play Switch games.

Good thing I don't want to run Switch games. I'm simply trying to illustrate why someone would want to play Switch games without having to have Switch hardware. It might be a fools errand sure, but a Deck with maybe-Switch is different than a Deck and also Switch or just a Switch.

People have their reasons, and they are usually quite reasonable. Their expectations might not be though.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Wanting a device that can play Switch games at 60 fps is a reasonable thing to want. (Especially since the switch mostly cant do that)

Expecting that the Deck will be able to do this is not reasonable.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I feel like as emulators mature it's not unreasonable to emulate basically any Switch game at parity to the Switch though. 60fps across the board is probably pushing it. Yuzu has made a lot of progress, it's why I support them on Patreon.

I'm mostly planning on playing games that 'make sense' on the Steam Deck - lots of indie titles that I haven't played or finished, i.e. Hades etc. Vampire Survivors will be great to play in bed. I'm sure my wife will appreciate my yelling in frustation.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 2, 2022

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

It kinda blows my mind that people would put "60 fps" at the top of their list of wants. It's a $400-$600 portable system with a nice (small) screen and an unlocked PC ecosystem, and powerful enough to play modern PC games on "good enough" quality. I'm not gonna say the human eye "can't see" above 30 fps or something, but can any handheld device, ever do that? Is it even really a big deal for anything besides FPS games?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

KakerMix posted:

Good thing I don't want to run Switch games. I'm simply trying to illustrate why someone would want to play Switch games without having to have Switch hardware. It might be a fools errand sure, but a Deck with maybe-Switch is different than a Deck and also Switch or just a Switch.

People have their reasons, and they are usually quite reasonable. Their expectations might not be though.

You've convinced me. Telling the goon who wanted to play Switch games that they should buy a Switch was insensitive and I apologize.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Infinite Karma posted:

It kinda blows my mind that people would put "60 fps" at the top of their list of wants. It's a $400-$600 portable system with a nice (small) screen and an unlocked PC ecosystem, and powerful enough to play modern PC games on "good enough" quality. I'm not gonna say the human eye "can't see" above 30 fps or something, but can any handheld device, ever do that? Is it even really a big deal for anything besides FPS games?

I'm fine playing games at low graphics settings to hit 60 fps. To each their own, but many people prefer fluid framerates to raw graphical fidelity.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
any game where input response times are a concern will benefit from higher framerate. arcade games, rhythm games, fighting games, most action games, etc

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I have no doubt the steam deck will play most anything you throw at it (pc games, not emulators, those have whole different set of system requirements) at 720p med/high at 30 to 60 fps. That's what its designed to do, that's why it has that screen, most importantly, that's all its display hardware is capable of. And on a tiny-rear end screen 720p will look fine. The thing is fit for purpose, but its purpose is playing games on steam at 720p; everything else is a bonus on account of it really just being a laptop in an unusual form factor. The only thing strange about its guts is that AMD (most likely) won't offer a 4c/8t cpu with 8 CUs, and presumable won't release any general market APUs that mix Zen 2 and RDNA 2.

Now, if you don't know computer hardware that last sentence might not mean anything to you, but you need to understand it before you have any idea what's being offered. Its a low end low power (for 2022) CPU with higher-for-a-low-power-portable-device graphics system. Notably, its extra graphics power probably won't help much with emulators since they tend to be far more processor heavy than native 3d applications.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Kaddish posted:

I feel like as emulators mature it's not unreasonable to emulate basically any Switch game at parity to the Switch though

it absolutely is

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Stux posted:

it absolutely is

Parity to the Switch is a fairly low bar. Instead of 'basically' maybe I should have used 'virtually'. Outside of a couple of games, like BotW, it's a reasonable expectation eventually.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Stux posted:

it absolutely is

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
oh my god just buy a switch or spend the money you save pirating games on a computer that can emulate it if you don't get that running multiplatform pc games better than a switch and emulating a switch are extremely different things

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Kaddish posted:

Parity to the Switch is a fairly low bar. Instead of 'basically' maybe I should have used 'virtually'. Outside of a couple of games, like BotW, it's a reasonable expectation eventually.

what are you basing this off of. anything concrete or "i want it to be true"

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Kaddish posted:

I feel like as emulators mature it's not unreasonable to emulate basically any Switch game at parity to the Switch though. 60fps across the board is probably pushing it. Yuzu has made a lot of progress, it's why I support them on Patreon.

My expectation is that Switch emulation on this thing will maybe get to “runs some games playably, if you’re fine with some stuttering and hitchy audio”. Probably not more than that, if it even gets that far. Emulation is hard, the general rule of thumb is that if you’re trying to emulate a different architecture, you want your host architecture to have roughly 10x the performance of the guest system. You can get better than that with enough work, but that’s kind of the baseline to expect.

Look up videos of the Ambernic RG552 emulating GameCube. Consider that that device has a much larger performance advantage over the GC than the Deck does over the Switch. Like I said, you might get playable emulation for some subset of games - emulator devs are wildly clever - but even full-speed on a broad range is almost certainly out of reach, much less increased FPS or resolution (upscaling tricks aside).

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It's been a long time since I really looked into emulation, but doesn't a device generally need to be more powerful, if not significantly more so, than the device it's emulating to do a decent job at it?

If by some miracle you can emulate Switch games on the Deck, I'm pretty drat sure it's going to run worse than an actual Switch.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Arcsech posted:

My expectation is that Switch emulation on this thing will maybe get to “runs some games playably, if you’re fine with some stuttering and hitchy audio”. Probably not more than that, if it even gets that far. Emulation is hard, the general rule of thumb is that if you’re trying to emulate a different architecture, you want your host architecture to have roughly 10x the performance of the guest system. You can get better than that with enough work, but that’s kind of the baseline to expect.

Look up videos of the Ambernic RG552 emulating GameCube. Consider that that device has a much larger performance advantage over the GC than the Deck does over the Switch. Like I said, you might get playable emulation for some subset of games - emulator devs are wildly clever - but even full-speed on a broad range is almost certainly out of reach, much less increased FPS or resolution (upscaling tricks aside).

what if they crank up the "optimize" dial really hard in the future thouhg

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
That's exactly what I'm saying. Why is everyone trying to ruin my dreams? There is a dial, it goes from 1-10. I'm saying turn it to 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
watching the aya neo stutter its way through mario odyssey while the cpu gets pegged to 4ghz and thinking that the 3.5ghz deck using the same cpu gen is going to make it at some point in the nebulous future.