Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Majorian posted:

Perhaps, but it's not like the U.S. has many cards to play on the issue. Zelensky himself already said it: if they're not getting into NATO (and they're not), NATO should say so.

They did. In 2008. Nothing has changed other than Russia parking several divisions immediately on the border of Ukraine and annexing some land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

I don't think there's a nefarious plot, I think that's simply the framing the editor writing headlines wanted. In the body of the article, Maddow is mentioned once: "The top spot in total viewers went to MSNBC’s “The Rachel Maddow Show.”

Editors write the headlines, writers the articles. The editor wants you to be making the comparison. You already know that.

I mean, I can't imagine most editors wouldn't point out that Carlson gets more Dem viewers among a coveted demographic than Maddow does, considering the relevant tropes & framing for each, and given that it's a pretty strong peg to read the story.

I don't think it's equating their contributions (which might be done given other factors, such as hyperbole & what each covers) as much as saying "Looky! The libbiest lib in libville gets more non-old eyeballs than the Chuddiest Chud in Chudville!"

In other words, it's newsworthy enough to included in a hed.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Herstory Begins Now posted:

In reality it would get punted to the SC while the campaign to discredit the results went on publicly, headed by pence (and since this is a hypothetical, lets pretend giuliani did not turbo nuke his reputation immediately before, too) giuliani and a bunch of senators with a huge amount of noise being made by the far-right fringe that instead became the faces of the effort back in reality.

Oh they were trying to do another Bush v gore. Get the election close enough to involve the SC, have them rule for trump, he gets another turn.

That was probably why they tried to overturn states, to try to throw it to the court they spent
years filling with apparachiks.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SourKraut posted:

And the Kardashians

edit:

I don't at all disagree with your post, but you do, uh, realize that Wolfenstein's whole thing is killing Nazis?

For the sake of clarity I should have said "Wolfenstein Nazi-cosplaying". The E-fash these days love the Techno-Nazi look of Wolfenstein and are quite vocally mad about how the game demonizes Nazis for some inconceivable reason :thunk:

Case in point, this doomcock:

https://twitter.com/theserfstv/status/1313291961877495809

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

nine-gear crow posted:

For the sake of clarity I should have said "Wolfenstein Nazi-cosplaying". The E-fash these days love the Techno-Nazi look of Wolfenstein and are quite vocally mad about how the game demonizes Nazis for some inconceivable reason :thunk:

Oh wow, sorry, I apologize then. That makes a lot more sense and... just, what the ever loving gently caress.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Denver's mayor has announced that the city is dropping mask & vaccination requirements effective this Friday, although individual businesses are free to maintain mandates.

quote:

Hancock also said in his Twitter thread the city’s public health order requiring masks in schools and child care facilities will remain in effect for the time being.

According to Fox News affiliate KDVR, mask-wearing is still required on the city’s public transportation and at the Denver International Airport.

“Organizations that serve vulnerable populations, other businesses and venues may decide to continue to require masks or proof of vaccination. They are well within their rights to do so, and we should support them. Please do not give them a hard time,” Hancock tweeted.

“Don't get too comfortable. This virus is something we’re still going to have to manage and learn to live with.”

It'll be interesting to see whether other large cities that had mandates follow suit fairly soon, or whether there will be an abundance of caution after the Open Biden snafus last spring.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

I don't think it matters, because that's been largely a Russia point, not really a US one. Its just an excuse, of many excuses for their actions. Crimea wasn't about to become a NATO stronghold either.

If they're not getting into NATO then there is an argument then Ukraine will change course. This entire conflict is around Ukraine leaving the patronage of Russia and trying to join NATO and the EU and generally becoming more "Western". It's not impossible to think Ukraine would change what they're doing if NATO became a firm no and the EU continued to do little to assist in this. Will Russia still invade? Maybe, totally. But looking at it from a political angle it's to their advantage to negotiate at that point. It probably still ends with Ukraine being a patron of Russia again but it could be a lot more bloodless.

But it's really all conjecture, just trying to think through what could happen. I definitely don't think anyone has to say they "agree with Hawley" because his larger point is we can't go to war with white people we need to go to war with China. But if you isolate it to "NATO needs to admit Ukraine isn't joining and toss out the indefinite agreement" it could change the course of things.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Gumball Gumption posted:

If they're not getting into NATO then there is an argument then Ukraine will change course. This entire conflict is around Ukraine leaving the patronage of Russia and trying to join NATO and the EU and generally becoming more "Western". It's not impossible to think Ukraine would change what they're doing if NATO became a firm no and the EU continued to do little to assist in this. Will Russia still invade? Maybe, totally. But looking at it from a political angle it's to their advantage to negotiate at that point. It probably still ends with Ukraine being a patron of Russia again but it could be a lot more bloodless.

But it's really all conjecture, just trying to think through what could happen. I definitely don't think anyone has to say they "agree with Hawley" because his larger point is we can't go to war with white people we need to go to war with China. But if you isolate it to "NATO needs to admit Ukraine isn't joining and toss out the indefinite agreement" it could change the course of things.

But unlike the NATO question, the EU question was in the running and Ukraine wants to enter the EU to access their market. Like Ukraine knows the NATO thing is largely not happening, but the EU discussion has been pretty serious, intending to apply by 2023-2024 timeframe.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

They did. In 2008. Nothing has changed other than Russia parking several divisions immediately on the border of Ukraine and annexing some land.

That's actually not true - NATO only said no to a membership action plan on that occasion, not definitively, and then-Sec. Gen Jaap de Hoop Scheffer outright promised that Ukraine and Georgia would join "someday":

quote:

NATO leaders softened the blow by making a vaguer pledge to invite the two to join the alliance at some point in the future and saying former Cold War foe Moscow should have no influence on membership decisions.

“We agreed today that these countries will become members of NATO,” NATO Secretary-General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer told a news conference, reading from a communique agreed at a summit of the pact’s 26 leaders in Bucharest.

“That is quite something,” he added.

Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko called the NATO move historic. “This is our victory,” he told reporters. Georgian Foreign Minister David Bakradze also hailed “historic breakthrough” for his country.

That promise has yet to be rescinded, as far as I've seen.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 3, 2022

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

nine-gear crow posted:

The only service to exclusively hire Helghast as PR!

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's mostly because Fox has about five times as many viewers in prime time as their competitors. Only about 700,000 people are watching MSNBC primetime on a given night. Fox is averaging 3.4 million.

So, only about 2% of America is watching prime-time cable news. And that group is overwhelmingly watching Fox News.

Most people are watching network news.

Well, technically, most people are watching the NBA or the NFL.
Some of you really don't understand how insidious Fox News watcher bullshit is. In a lot of businesses if any new is on Fox is on, because that's what the Manager/ louder Clientele/ owner want on. Be it in hospitals, in restaurants, in most factories (at least here in Michigan).

Everybody but the young people here eat that poo poo up, including older democrats. It's a real problem. Hell I've seen school administrators watch it in their office. Some cult poo poo among the olds here, but Michigan is extremely "groupthink" with them anyway lately.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Klaus88 posted:

The only service to exclusively hire Helghast as PR!

My Helghast cosplay was better than these fashies

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

nine-gear crow posted:

Probably Discord. Discord is loving chock to the gills with Nazis, Nazi-adjacent individuals, and Nazi recruiters. Hell, any nerdy shut-in teenager on the internet these days sits on the precipice of a straight vertical slide into white supremacy. All you need to do is start watching a few videos about nerd-oriented content on YouTube and within an hour the algorithm has landed you on some seig heiling Wolfenstein cosplayer's channel that's gonna teach them the 14 Words and gently suggest that "something should be done about" [insert minority here].

Steve Bannon showed folks the playbook and they've been out there like an evil version of the Catcher in the Rye, grabbing as many at-risk kids as they can and turning them into little fashy drones like these little pubes behind the bomb scare plot.

Absolutely frighteningly true. I think you only need to get 1 or two videos into "videogame" or "comic book" channels and you'll be getting Prager U ads instantly, and the algorithm just gets worse from there.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Willa Rogers posted:

I mean, I can't imagine most editors wouldn't point out that Carlson gets more Dem viewers among a coveted demographic than Maddow does, considering the relevant tropes & framing for each, and given that it's a pretty strong peg to read the story.

I don't think it's equating their contributions (which might be done given other factors, such as hyperbole & what each covers) as much as saying "Looky! The libbiest lib in libville gets more non-old eyeballs than the Chuddiest Chud in Chudville!"

In other words, it's newsworthy enough to included in a hed.

It can be both really. I think in the "pretending to be unbiased" world of mainstream news, editors want Maddow to be the equivalent of Tucker.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Washington Gridlocks :colbert:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

The FBI has found the people who called in the bomb threats to 20 different historically black colleges and universities to "celebrate" the start of Black History Month.

Apparently, they are a bunch of lovely 17-year olds who spoofed cell phone numbers over VOIP.

If this were 20 years ago, this would scream "4chan," but I don't know if the kids have an equivalent place for lovely computer nerds to become Nazis and call in bomb threats or SWAT teams today or if they still use 4chan.

The FBI is considering them hate crimes.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1488936795194724355
https://twitter.com/LukeLBarr/status/1488651083685797889
https://twitter.com/LukeLBarr/status/1488969305991569412

lol i hope ruining yourlife at 17 is worth it.(and maybe a plank size atom of hope they at least stop being regressive or apolitical/non voting forever.)

Also rating numbers are a horseshit shell game. Also also Fox is getting killed by Alex Jones. His ratings are 10% of the entire universe.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

But unlike the NATO question, the EU question was in the running and Ukraine wants to enter the EU to access their market. Like Ukraine knows the NATO thing is largely not happening, but the EU discussion has been pretty serious, intending to apply by 2023-2024 timeframe.

Maybe I don't know enough about Ukrainian politics but what is it based on that they know the NATO thing isn't happening? Everyone involved keeps saying it's happening someday and seems to be something Ukraine is trying to achieve. And yeah, I'm not saying the EU thing isn't happening, just that if NATO becomes a firm "It's never happening" than Ukraine's political calculus might change.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Gumball Gumption posted:

Maybe I don't know enough about Ukrainian politics but what is it based on that they know the NATO thing isn't happening? Everyone involved keeps saying it's happening someday and seems to be something Ukraine is trying to achieve. And yeah, I'm not saying the EU thing isn't happening, just that if NATO becomes a firm "It's never happening" than Ukraine's political calculus might change.

Because if Ukraine was part of NATO, then everyone in NATO would be obligated to defend Ukraine if Russia invaded (like they already did when they annexed Crimea) and everyone in NATO is really nervous about testing that. They don't want Russia to start wars in Eastern Europe and annex territory, but they also don't want to be obligated to defend Ukraine.

That's why Ukraine wants to join NATO, but they keep pushing it back.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
NATO members worried they might actually have to do what their agreement says.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Gumball Gumption posted:

The U.S. government really wants it to happen, and so do Poland and the Baltics, plus the NATO Secretary-General in '08 said it was definitely going to happen. That's why people think it's happening. It's not going to happen, though, because NATO requires a unanimous vote from all member-states, and France and Germany really don't want Ukraine to join.

Jaxyon posted:

Yup, which is why NATO probably needs to dissolve. Russia's not going to make for the Fulda Gap anytime soon, while NATO isn't going to go to war with Russia for anything less than that.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Jaxyon posted:

I'm just happy that a black celebrity's death is getting the kind of investigative response that is usually reserved for white celebrity death.

Do you think it's your duty to react to literally everything like this?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

haveblue posted:

It's a shame the Senate will be paralyzed and unable to accomplish anything for 4-6 weeks instead of being paralyzed and unable to accomplish anything for 4-6 weeks

You say that, but a vote to confirm a black woman to the Supreme Court might take all 50 dem senators.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah a lot of people don't want to sign a commitment to embark on a bunch of pointless horrible wars, go figure

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Don't know if this is current events or Right Wing Media.

Apparently, someone thought putting Rudy on the Masked Singer may help rehab his image? Surprisingly for something involving Rudy, it was a massive fuckup.

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1489056203154112512

Also, I'll never get tired of that picture of him.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

tecnocrat posted:

Also, I'll never get tired of that picture of him.

It should be engraved on his tombstone.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
*on the urinal that they convert into his tombstone

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I was a wild 3 or 4 years where it was taken as a given in American politics that Democrats had to forfeit the 2008 election and John McCain's chance to run for President was over because Rudy Giuliani was going to sweep the primary and win 40 states in the general election.

And then the following even wilder 4 months when it was widely assumed that Fred Thompson was the only candidate who could win a Republican primary after Rudy imploded.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 3, 2022

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Herstory Begins Now posted:

*on the urinal that they convert into his tombstone

That'll be the case by default.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah a lot of people don't want to sign a commitment to embark on a bunch of pointless horrible wars, go figure

Yeah but that's the point. It always was bullshit.

They're simply making it clear now.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

A bunch of pointless horrible wars describes NATO's history

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

A bunch of pointless horrible wars describes NATO's history

I meant horrible for NATO members like another Crimean war for [???] benefit.

Obviously they're up for wars that are horrible for defenseless people in places like Libya, also none of the wars NATO has been involved in were defensive wars they were committed to fight under Article 5, they were all aggressive wars of choice

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I was a wild 3 or 4 years where it was taken as a given in American politics that Democrats had to forfeit the 2008 election and John McCain's chance to run for President was over because Rudy Giuliani was going to sweep the primary and win 40 states in the general election.

And then the following even wilder 4 months when it was widely assumed that Fred Thompson was the only candidate who could win a Republican primary after Rudy imploded.

Fred Thompson responded to accusations of him being lazy by bragging about all the times he had sex.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Ynglaur posted:

Washington Gridlocks :colbert:

The Marlboro men

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

"The Washington Commies" is cold comfort when they were gifted by fate the best name in sports. Failing that, the Clowns or the Nixons was right there, imagine the merch! Instant iconic status!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

If they were going for a pun, "The Washington Insiders" is obviously the best choice.

https://twitter.com/CapitolPolice/status/1489248843870785537

That guy who had a several hour standoff with Capitol police last year because he parked his car in front of the Supreme Court and said he had a bomb has parked in front of the Supreme Court again.

Doesn't claim to have a bomb this time, but is refusing to leave.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He’s not still in prison?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Orthanc6 posted:

It's a difficult calculation. On the one hand, giving in to that 1 demand of Russia's might take off the pressure for the time being. On the other hand, it might be the exact "sign of weakness" they're waiting for to move forward and say "so what you gonna do about it?". Which is pretty much what they did with taking Crimea. It really could go either way as I see it.

It is taking the US's eye off the China ball, but not really by much. Ukraine not being in NATO, this entire concern about a war is still only a direct concern for Ukraine's military. The US only has to keep some brigades in the bordering NATO countries to completely prevent the conflict from escaping Ukraine. Which is what they are doing and have said they are doing. People keep drawing comparisons to the warmongering with Iraq and it just doesn't hold. NATO troops will not be dying in or even around Ukraine.

The US definitely should lay off the "imminent invasion" stuff cause that helps no one. If it's true they should just keep doing mostly what they've been doing on the ground with supplying more arms and moving staff/citizens out, but it would be better for diplomacy and Ukrainian stability for them to be quieter about it.

What exactly is the China Ball and why do we need to keep our eyes on it?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

He’s not still in prison?

I don't know if he ever went to prison. He was charged with assault on a police officer and failure to obey a police officer. I don't know how the case resolved, but if it was his first offense, I could easily see him getting off with a fine and probation.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Nucleic Acids posted:

What exactly is the China Ball and why do we need to keep our eyes on it?

China is aggressively posturing towards its neighbors (Vietnam, Japan, Philippines), illegally building islands to extend its maritime borders in the South China Sea, and is inching closer toward attempting to attack and annex a sovereign nation (Taiwan) that has a decades long-'relationship' with the USA.

Most of those countries are at the very least looking towards the USA to act as a counter-balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

China is aggressively posturing towards its neighbors (Vietnam, Japan, Philippines), illegally building islands to extend its maritime borders in the South China Sea, and is inching closer toward attempting to attack and annex a sovereign nation (Taiwan) that has a decades long-'relationship' with the USA.

Most of those countries are at the very least looking towards the USA to act as a counter-balance.

It's comforting to know that even if Raytheon doesn't get a payout in Ukraine, there's a secondary revenue pipeline they can engage. Greatest economy ever, baby!