Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Stux posted:

fedora

It has to be RedHat come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Now wait a second here, ReiserFS is sick + the titular wife murderer is in jail.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Death of the author!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Statistically speaking, NTFS has probably contributed to, or been directly responsible for the most actual deaths.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Dramicus posted:

The real question you should be asking is which file system has killed the most people.

ext3 easily and then NTFS. Close third ReiserFS.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

homeless snail posted:

Now wait a second here, ReiserFS is sick + the titular wife murderer is in jail.

Lol exactly.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Kaddish posted:

ext3 easily and then NTFS. Close third ReiserFS.

Android uses ext4 though. And Facebook uses btrfs.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

which linux distribution has killed the most people

RHEL, probably. It's corporate evil in use by intelligence agencies.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Stux posted:

can we change the thread title to "its a normal computer"

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Its a completely open platform, no jailbreaks for anything, provided you're willing to deal with Arch or install windows.

kinda don't want to, honestly. :shobon:

I pick up a game device, I don't want to think about partitions or button mappings or see a menu of thirty different scanline filters, or see a bash prompt. I don't even want to look at a file system. That's part of the reason why I was turned off of RetroPie

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Unless it's broken as poo poo for some reason, I plan to use the steam deck as-is. Not going to bother with anything that doesn't work with the stock configuration.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You won't need to install other operating systems to install custom software. You'll be able to install native non-steam linux apps on the device out of the box, including any emulator with a linux build (which is most of them). And you'll be able to use wine to run most non-steam windows apps too.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
ReiserFS jokes, I feel young again! Maybe this *is* going to be the year of the Linux Desktop after all?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I am excited for the case mods and weird machinations people come up with for this little thing

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
So, if Steam / Big Picture Mode were to crash, I guess you'd get bounced back to the KDE plasma 5 desktop, because Steam is just another app, albeit configured to start on boot.

I'm thinking about how Emulation Station on Retro Pie* crashes you see text mode Linux, likely with a login prompt. Emulation Station had exclusive control over the screen, much like you'd get running DOS.

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVQVmsFOclM

The United States posted:

"if the games work" is dependent on the emulator devs doing the actual work, and several retroarch devs seem intent on driving them to suicide or out of the emulator programming hobby at least
of course it's a free program so they gain nothing by you just downloading it, but don't donate to the project or anything

[ -twinaphex.txt- ]

https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/graphs/contributors
https://github.com/twinaphex

Hooooly shiiiiiiit. weekends and weekdays for a decade for an unpaid OSS project. That's not healthy.

Cool. thanks.
\/

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 3, 2022

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Nah, Steam runs in its own tiny window manager. When it exits, the system just restarts it. You have to explicitly launch desktop mode, it's not running in the background.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Coffee Jones posted:

So, if Steam / Big Picture Mode were to crash, I guess you'd get bounced back to the KDE plasma 5

why would they inlcude KDE? they don't need a WM at all if the OS is only meant to run steam. why plasma 5 specifically?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Coffee Jones posted:

kinda don't want to, honestly. :shobon:

I pick up a game device, I don't want to think about partitions or button mappings or see a menu of thirty different scanline filters, or see a bash prompt. I don't even want to look at a file system. That's part of the reason why I was turned off of RetroPie

You aren't going to like Retroarch then.

Honestly I think I'd rather deal with a command line.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

why would they inlcude KDE? they don't need a WM at all if the OS is only meant to run steam. why plasma 5 specifically?

Being able to plug in a usb-c hub and connect in a monitor, keyboard and mouse to use it as a desktop PC has been in Valve's marketing since launch.

kde plasma because it's familiar to windows (conjecture, but i mean look at it)

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 3, 2022

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

SCheeseman posted:

Being able to plug in a usb-c hub and connect in a monitor, keyboard and mouse to use it as a desktop PC has been in Valve's marketing since launch.

kde plasma because it's familiar to windows (conjecture, but i mean look at it)

we already know what OS it's going to run, we can look at the source code.

it's a debian fork. they have their own WM.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nah, SteamOS 3 is Arch, and it does include KDE for its desktop environment.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Honestly I think I'd rather deal with a command line.

He's not going to like the steam deck in general I feel like. A lot of people are underestimating how finnicky this thing will be. There will be a lot of custom setup involved in running your games, on a game-by-game basis.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

we already know what OS it's going to run, we can look at the source code.

it's a debian fork. they have their own WM.

I'm too dumb to understand source code so I looked at the website

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
oh rad, i guess they haven't updated the store page

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

He's not going to like the steam deck in general I feel like. A lot of people are underestimating how finnicky this thing will be. There will be a lot of custom setup involved in running your games, on a game-by-game basis.

That will probably be the case for "non-supported" games, but Valve is creating a system/list so you can see at a glance which games will work "out of the box" on the Steam Deck. The list might be limited at first, but I imagine it will grow quickly after launch.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the current public version of steamos is debian, but the new version launching with the steam deck is arch based

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Roms and what not could be squirrely. But luckily valve is tailoring the steam library to be very easy to discern what will and what will not, and what may require tweaking out the box.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

They're already rolling out Steam Deck Verified certs:
https://steamdeckverified.avery.cafe/ or https://steamdb.info/search/?a=app_keynames&type=-1&keyname=530&operator=1&keyvalue= but requires logging in with your Steam account.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Things can be very finnicky with these things on windows that’s for sure. Most of the time once you get things set you don’t have to do anything again but some games love to reset their settings.

Hopefully the SteamOS fixes some of it.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Yeah, every time I look at retroarch the UI pisses me off.

it's like here's linux-gaming.jpg - looking to remap keys for your 16-bit system because you have a keyboard plugged in? please configure analog deadzones and usercounts
... scroll down alllll way to the bottom to set something as unimportant as what buttons do what.

sorry about this derail, lol.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

There is no one in the world who doesn't think retroarch's UI sucks.

Steam is testing that games run acceptably at default settings, which is cool and good, but I've never seen someone have access to a settings menu and not fiddle with it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

There is no one in the world who doesn't think retroarch's UI sucks.

Steam is testing that games run acceptably at default settings, which is cool and good, but I've never seen someone have access to a settings menu and not fiddle with it.

I like RetroArch's UI to an extent, since it's just the Switch UI at this point lol, but I never know where anything is or what poo poo does. It's like a beautiful labyrinth of poo poo but the walls are sculpted out of marble.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I use RetroArch for it's features, it's UI is terrible and was a barrier to me using it for a very long time. I'm used to it now but would readily agree that it sucks.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Use it on my vita and the ui is poo poo yea

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
xmb was better, i think u can switch back? i just use the desktop menu instead which is a lot better but not controller operable

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

is there not anyone who's made a better GUI for retroarch? it's kind of a nightmare

I tried to use it to play MGS some months ago and had a problem where I had to go select my sound driver so I could have audio, of which there is only one

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Just use Duckstation if you're going to play MGS. Too bad they're not going to work on Duckstation anymore because they got harassed off the internet by the Retroarch guy, though.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

homeless snail posted:

Just use Duckstation if you're going to play MGS. Too bad they're not going to work on Duckstation anymore because they got harassed off the internet by the Retroarch guy, though.

so the guy sucks and his work sucks. I'm just gonna experiment with Linux versions of the emulators I use then

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

The United States posted:

"if the games work" is dependent on the emulator devs doing the actual work, and several retroarch devs seem intent on driving them to suicide or out of the emulator programming hobby at least

I have Launchbox setup on my home PC, but it looks like Linux support is still in experimental stages. Are there any other emulation frontends that have stable Linux versions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
praying that openemu gets ported from macos to windows one day as its easily the best emu frontend ever made