Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
i started playing dying light tonight which is about zombies and pandemics and all that poo poo

but like, right now, just as I am out of the tutorial I am holed up in a slum apartment block scavenging for resources for this little mutual aid commune crew that took me in. my quest objectives are to go out and recover medicine for sick people.

i know it can’t last. the plot is gonna get real stupid, I’m actually some fuckin spec ops guy or something. it’s a AAA big budget game with drop in multiplayer and DLC seasons and poo poo. but really I wish it would. just me and my friends trying to care for each other when there’s no one else. that’s a fantasy I can really get behind right now. :unsmith:

thank you, covid thread friends. take care of yourselves you hear me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Angryhead posted:

So it's just the right time for antivaxxers to keep it classy on Holocaust Remembrance Day, wearing stars that say "HUMAN".

Sign in front translates to "It's shameful for the police to scare and harass people" (also is that the Yakuza font??)

"The contracts with vaccine manufacturers need to be made fully publicly available!" and "Subjugating children to the 'vaccination passport' system is criminal!"

oh time for the "HUMAN" stars again:

"I am healthy, dignified, clever" :nsa:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
gently caress you no we have enough antisemite antivaxxers in canada already tia

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Angryhead posted:

oh time for the "HUMAN" stars again:

"I am healthy, dignified, clever" :nsa:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Pigmassacre posted:

jesus gently caress I hadn't seen that graph before, where's it from?

Aftonbladet, but they get their numbers from FHM. Scroll down a bit to get to the graph.

Pigmassacre posted:

we're literally opening up while hospital admissions are RISING

they’re also ending all testing and tracing for everyone who isn’t a healthcare worker, lol

guess cases will drop super fast for some mysterious reason!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

LionArcher posted:

I got defensive in that thread when I made a post about them being pro bunch in early fall, and they dug up posts from this thread when I went to Disneyland early this past summer (wearing a mask I never took off) right as Delta really hit the West Coast. I addressed why I went, how I went, and the fact that I quarantined afterwards, and regretted going, and was simply addressing the vibe that was (at the time) going on in that thread.

I was probed for multiple days for being "a hypocrite and posting about other posters".

My point is, if you're going to be helicopter mods about the rules, then be consistent. They aren't because they like MJ, and he adds credibility (he's a doctor after all) with their world view of mediocre libdom (and being a bad doctor in his case).

Going in to the D&D thread acting high and mighty and then admitting you went to Disneyland was a massive self own though.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

ex post facho posted:

3600 people yesterday. That's just insane, and I all I see is "cases are down!" and no reporting of the actual toll. this loving country is making me crazy

Its like three card monte. It’s the same shell game, or maybe skull game is more appropriate, that we’ve been playing the whole time. There are thee numbers, cases hospitalizations and deaths, and they’re set up in a way where the dealer says you’re always pointing at the wrong one. Deaths today don’t matter because we need to be looking at cases, which are down. Two months ago, you weren’t allowed to point at the cases going up, because cases don’t matter and only hospitalizations do. Once hospitalizations went up, the scarcity of deaths told us that omicron is mild and we should ignore cases. Now that deaths are up, it’s okay to look at cases again because they’re down, and the people who told you not to ever look at cases the other week will assure you they never said that.

A couple months or weeks or whatever from now, when we’re looking at cases shooting up from the next variant, the flat number of deaths and hospitalizations will prove that we have nothing to worry about. It will once again be insane fear mongering to look at cases, which nobody told you to do, and a few months after that cases will be the real measure again because the deaths are too high. Find the lady, find the lady, step on up, double your money.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's true that the Black Death killed off enough laborers in its time that it prompted a rise in wages, but that was something like 500 years before Point #1.

Worth remembering that rise in wages happened about 60 years after the black death, and involved some very brutal political fights. Improvements for the workers never happen due to market forces without deliberate action by the workers, which we would do well to remember.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

We weren't ready to be unnecessarily maimed or killed. Weird.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1489195732850651138?t=nInWjIAUcRs9DV-EcJos4w&s=19

quote:

"That was the narrative: ‘We’re all going to get vaccinated, and then we’re going to be able to party like it’s 2019,’” she said.

Instead, case numbers surged to previously unimaginable heights. The Omicron tide peaked at 150,000 new daily cases on Jan. 13. Before this wave, the country had never reached 3,000 cases in a day. And last Friday, Australia had its deadliest day of the pandemic, reporting 98 deaths.

The speed with which the variant spread left the authorities little time to acclimatize the population to the idea of widespread infection.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Feb 3, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Frosted Flake posted:

On the one hand, more effective and confrontational than anything Bernie would have done

On the other, a Bernie sub backing this is insane

Lmao the negotiations

If they were black, tanks would have cleared the road already

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Protesters enter spaces statutorily open to the public, no iffs ands or buts: ARREST THEY ASSES!

Truckers block capacity to fulfill international border agreement superceding even the Canadian Constitution: WELL WE BETTER NEGOTIATE

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I maintain that the solution to white supremacy is nuclear strike.

Yes, I am well aware that I am within the 100% killzone of a state that needs to be wholly and entirely removed from existence.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

What’s interesting is that fit testing is intended to be done semiannually to assess, well, fit. Flaws in respirators could slip by unnoticed for months. Actually, it’s worse than that, because occupational fit testing is often done with a respirator set aside just for that purpose, not the worker’s own.

Where are you getting this from? I’ve been fit tested a half dozen times and they give you a new disposable n95 for it .. Why would they re-use a disposable n95 on different people :barf:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

All kidding aside, the babyfaced bellypickers need to see some light jail time.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Potato Salad posted:

All kidding aside, the babyfaced bellypickers need to see some light mild jail time.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

Lmao the negotiations

If they were black, tanks would have cleared the road already

It's no wonder why White people have a history of such diva behavior.

They believe and get away with everything like all those "self-defense" story when they gun down minorities.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Arivia posted:

i started playing dying light tonight which is about zombies and pandemics and all that poo poo

but like, right now, just as I am out of the tutorial I am holed up in a slum apartment block scavenging for resources for this little mutual aid commune crew that took me in. my quest objectives are to go out and recover medicine for sick people.

i know it can’t last. the plot is gonna get real stupid, I’m actually some fuckin spec ops guy or something. it’s a AAA big budget game with drop in multiplayer and DLC seasons and poo poo. but really I wish it would. just me and my friends trying to care for each other when there’s no one else. that’s a fantasy I can really get behind right now. :unsmith:

thank you, covid thread friends. take care of yourselves you hear me?

Death Stranding is really good for that. It’s got the big insane Hideo Kojima plot, but it’s basically just about doing your courier job and reinvesting the proceeds into infrastructure that makes your job easier, and the cool gimmick is that you’re playing parallel to other people. You don’t see them, but some of their stuff shows up in your world and vise versa, so your contributions to building a highway are enhanced by the contributions of others until you all get a stretch of road to enjoy. If you find a package somebody else lost, you can get it to where it’s going for them and get some totally useless “hey thanks” points for doing so, which feels nice. Sometimes you’ll be in a bad situation and find a shelter or a vehicle or even just a helpful ladder that somebody else left there, and your stuff helps others out the same. It’s nice, you get all the fun of video game cooperation without the unpleasant part where you have to interact with video game people directly.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

did anyone say that Cancer Cabinet is preemptive because NIH is finding COVID is jacking up cancer rates?

Pigmassacre
Nov 23, 2010

GARBAGE DAY

Comrade Koba posted:

Aftonbladet, but they get their numbers from FHM. Scroll down a bit to get to the graph.

they’re also ending all testing and tracing for everyone who isn’t a healthcare worker, lol

guess cases will drop super fast for some mysterious reason!

thank you! I've been exclusively using SVT.se for all my national news needs, but they've been getting more and more clickbaity in the last couple of years and their covid coverage is... well. its sweden

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Crazyweasel posted:

did anyone say that Cancer Cabinet is preemptive because NIH is finding COVID is jacking up cancer rates?

WHAAAAAAAT? Why would regular, periodic t-cell depletion on the scale of an advanced HIV infection inflate cancer rates!?!?! :abrathink:

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Crazyweasel posted:

yes

well, maybe, i forget

probably good to repeat every few pages for thread bankruptcy people though

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Potato Salad posted:

All kidding aside, the babyfaced bellypickers need to see some light jail time.

Throw them into a dark hole and let them rot. It's about time these dipshits started seeing actual consequences for their actions. Covid has been pretty good for that so far, but that still comes with the problem of other people that don't deserve to be maimed or killed being maimed and or killed.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/jerrysaltz/status/1246165131232452610

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Doomers use a coffee maker.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Iron Crowned posted:

Doomers use a coffee maker.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Lol Jesus I forgot about this tweet. What an incredibly stupid, useless piece of poo poo to not be able to make coffee in your own home! A coffee maker costs like $50 for a totally tricked out one! Or even get a Keurig if your nanometer-smooth brain can't figure out how to scoop preground coffee into a paper filter! loving hell!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

zone posted:

Throw them into a dark hole and let them rot. It's about time these dipshits started seeing actual consequences for their actions. Covid has been pretty good for that so far, but that still comes with the problem of other people that don't deserve to be maimed or killed being maimed and or killed.

too much blood and a country never recovers

there's something to be said for a light touch

besides, have you seen Whitey loving squirm under even the gentlest censure of the state

immelman
Oct 6, 2014
Reading the conversation on the normalisation of mass epidemic death in the US has made me depressed, but this article in the NY times on how Australia will have to "get used to" it now just makes me blazingly angry. In a couple of short months we pissed away all the hard fought for protection from this disease and for what exactly? Everything is measurably worse.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/03/world/australia/australia-covid-policy.html
My family has to work and go to school. We will all catch this soon and there is not much we can do about it. Yes we mask, yes we ask our kids to mask but everything is half arsed. My kid has school photos today and was asked to take the mask off, which they did, no thought was given to the 100 other kids brought into the room before them.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

immelman posted:

Reading the conversation on the normalisation of mass epidemic death in the US has made me depressed, but this article in the NY times on how Australia will have to "get used to" it now just makes me blazingly angry. In a couple of short months we pissed away all the hard fought for protection from this disease and for what exactly? Everything is measurably worse.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/03/world/australia/australia-covid-policy.html
My family has to work and go to school. We will all catch this soon and there is not much we can do about it. Yes we mask, yes we ask our kids to mask but everything is half arsed. My kid has school photos today and was asked to take the mask off, which they did, no thought was given to the 100 other kids brought into the room before them.

It's really frustrating how just about every western nation decided the "Florida model" was the best way to deal with a pandemic.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mycomancy posted:

Lol Jesus I forgot about this tweet. What an incredibly stupid, useless piece of poo poo to not be able to make coffee in your own home! A coffee maker costs like $50 for a totally tricked out one! Or even get a Keurig if your nanometer-smooth brain can't figure out how to scoop preground coffee into a paper filter! loving hell!

“You just don’t understand the special nature of gas station coffee” was his defense iirc

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

lmao not even pretending

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
what's all this about Biden starting a cancel cabinet?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mycomancy posted:

K-cup coffee is the worst. Like it's mediocre, but not even the high-end mediocre where you just wish it was a little bit better, it's the bottom rung of mediocre where the only way it's enjoyable is if you pour flavored coffee creamer into it. My mom sends me a box of the stuff every Christmas despite my protestations :negative:

Anyway, I use a Hamilton Beach FlexBrew, which has a reusable basket for making a single serving of coffee, since my roommate doesn't drink much coffee it's perfect for me, and I'f figured out that if I put two bottles of liquor or wine behind my travel mug, I can just lean that thing in there for my drive to work. It does come with a K-Cup attachment for those pesky K-cups my mom loves.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

xposting because I kinda want someone to tell me I'm wrong

snip someone saw where I was using the wep app wrong, thankfully

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Feb 3, 2022

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

hot witch divorcee posted:

this is going to get a little dark, but, i hope it resonates with you or some people here. the thing that is keeping me going is that americans, westerners in general, and especially capitalists, are finally careening away from "the end of history" and into their own oblivion, opening up a path for a future where humanity continues to exist. its going to suck because they are nasty, bitter, horrible people who absolutely want to take everyone with them, but at least covid leads to some possibilities where they just won't be able to. its overdue, unjust, and will do terrible things to people who don't deserve it as collateral to be mass buried in piles far from those who lived long, happy lives with families off of a mountain of exploitation and death, but what can we do? not recognizing it doesn't make it not what's happening.

there's a comic i am having trouble finding to post but it is (i think an edit) of one of those many panel full page kind of comics, where a person is offered the end of capitalism if they press a button, which they immediately slap, to where the presenter is like NO NO I DIDNT EXPLAIN BUT IF YOU PRESS IT YOUR HOME COUNTRY OF AMERICA GETS NUKED! the person just keeps hammering the button, with their assumed partner walking in, to which they excitedly proclaim "honey, we're getting nuked!"

most everyone wants to be a martyr, it's easy. solve the existential crisis of the absurdity and thus inherent lack of meaning to existence, and then not have to do anything ever about it because you're dead. get to be remembered as a hero and you don't even have to like, do things anymore? it's a tantalizing gig, but it's liberal fantasy that martyrdom gets anything done. most would-be martyrs are just dead and unremembered and the poo poo they died to change still lurches on to ever more victims without abatement.

what actually accomplishes things, what does give your life a meaning that you are able to accept, is actually doing poo poo. doing poo poo for a long time, much of it hard and all of it at least annoying and definitely an unjust burden to have to bear, and helping chip away at things being better, with so many others, most of you nameless beyond your circle of family and friends.

there is a lot of things absolutely terrifying about watching this rotten, cancerous empire's collapse start to accelerate from the core, especially for those of us who live in it. not a moment goes by that i am not acting or making plans revolving around the fact that the person i love the most in the world is at a pretty bad risk for getting murked by the out of control plague on account of her being immunocompromised and that if that happens it will most likely be because i hosed up some safety precaution or tried to do something too dangerous. but by the void the empire is collapsing. and the worst, most terrible people you can imagine, the ones that were nigh-inevitably going to be wantonly cruel and murderous during the definitely-inevitable fascist uprising as the empire dies, are dropping like flies on poisoned poo poo because they can't stop going to the applebee's suck and gently caress. sure, it's not fair that in the wake of their murderous abandon a lot of people who don't deserve it are also going to leave us too soon, but all we can do is all we can do to keep ourselves and those we love and care for safe to try and get through this, and maybe get to be part of humanity embarking on an actual future.

On one hand I think this is very much true, especially the "martyr mentality". I see myself so hard in this.

On the other hand, I should also say, screw you. I personally have done nothing wrong, and don't deserve this. People like me should be pitied, not dismissed as idly as everyone else is dismissing the immunocomprised and the like. We need more empathy. I only wish death and suffering on people who actively and knowingly cause harm, no one else.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 3, 2022

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
moka express
:sludgepal:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
who the hell is larry

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

“You just don’t understand the special nature of gas station coffee” was his defense iirc

Lmao loving gross, I guess I don't understand the special nature of licking bus seats either. At least bus seats have a flavor to them.

These loving ghouls absolutely have to consume at all times, don't they?

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/saitomri/status/1489156145524535296?s=20&t=Weq7ZmKpC1FWRX8UkdMGnw
https://twitter.com/saitomri/status/1489162122105966592?s=20&t=Weq7ZmKpC1FWRX8UkdMGnw
https://twitter.com/saitomri/status/1489175658949652481?s=20&t=Weq7ZmKpC1FWRX8UkdMGnw
Mr. Xi, Open this Biden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

I miss that poo poo. As stupid as it was, that period at least had people who were rightfully scared.

I’ve posted before about how I watch a lot of reality tv, and that’s an interesting time to go back and look at through that lens. You had all kinds of just the worst people in the world all wearing masks and staying the gently caress home and shooting their parts on their phones or whatever. You saw people that were committed red or blue magas before and after that, who just for a brief moment in history didn’t have clear marching orders on what to say and think, and they mostly reacted with what was clearly some (typically misguided) attempt at self preservation. The teen moms were all in cloth masks, the 90 day couple in India were buying hotel keycards on lanyards because the guy at the store said they killed covid, it was all deeply stupid, but they were pretty uniformly acting like badly misinformed people trying to solve a problem that they thought existed.

That’s a lot better than what we have today. Every single one of these morons is flying around and repeating one line or the other about how it’s fine to do whatever they want. There was a very brief time there where those lines hadn’t really been written and normalized and stamped into every English speaking brain yet, and many people were kind of flying blind and trying not to crash. I think I liked that more than everyone deciding that they’re immune.