Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

homeless snail posted:

Too bad they're not going to work on Duckstation anymore because they got harassed off the internet by the Retroarch guy, though.

wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Soul Glo posted:

Making a Deck category in my Steam library for games I wanna try on there.

Right now I got Death’s Door, Spelunky 2, Death Stranding, Chrono Trigger, The Witcher 3, Dark Souls 3, Dead Cells, Doom 2016, Dragon’s Dogma Dark Arisen, FFIX, Red Faction Guerilla Remarstered, Resident Evil 2 Remake, The Binding of Isaac Isaac Repentance, Skyrim Remastered, Void Bastards.

The ones I actually doubt will run well are The Witcher 3 (though I could see them porting their Switch copy into Steam Deck at some point) and Resident Evil 2. The rest are either verified or old or scale well.

I do have a Switch, but I expect games like Doom to run better on Deck.

https://steamdeckverified.avery.cafe/

Hell, even Deathloop got green marks, which is pretty nice considering Bethesda's recommended minimum specs

https://bethesda.net/en/article/4mVL7pSx3tYuwe9HPfEPmm/deathloop-pc-specs-launch-details posted:

MINIMUM SPECS: 1080P / 30 FPS WITH LOW SETTINGS
Processor : Intel Core i5-8400 @ 2.80GHz or AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Memory : 12 GB
Graphics : Nvidia GTX 1060 (6GB) or AMD Radeon RX 580 (8GB)
DirectX : Version 12
Storage : 30 GB available space (HDD)

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Trucker Hat posted:

I have Launchbox setup on my home PC, but it looks like Linux support is still in experimental stages. Are there any other emulation frontends that have stable Linux versions?

yes! a few!

https://pegasus-frontend.org/
https://tkashkin.github.io/projects/gamehub/
https://github.com/quinton-ashley/nostlan/blob/main/README.md

I would love a stable launchbox port but pegasus is pretty decent.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Samopsa posted:

https://steamdeckverified.avery.cafe/

Hell, even Deathloop got green marks, which is pretty nice considering Bethesda's recommended minimum specs

Hell yes. Note I believe their minimum for "runs well" is consistent 30fps. But that is still pretty darn great for those two games on a handheld!

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

homeless snail posted:

Just use Duckstation if you're going to play MGS. Too bad they're not going to work on Duckstation anymore because they got harassed off the internet by the Retroarch guy, though.

shiiiit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-iRW7BAoOU

I contribute to a few OSS projects and I've learned that

- Volunteer time is golden and precious and to be preserved

- Skilled volunteer time is platinum

- the stenzeks and nears of the world are literally one in a million

- these projects go on for decades so sustainability is a concern - this isn't a lovely built-to-flip startup.

Things like long running toxicity that discourages contributions needs to be stamped out with a quickness.
So a hosed up shutin like twinaphex (or Richard Stallman, FWIW) does soooo much more harm than good

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I thought RetroArch just sucked because of its braindead UI (I had to use controller buttons to remap controller buttons and it updated their effects mid-remapping, meaning when I tried to swap OK with Cancel I ended up with two Cancel buttons and then Canceled myself right out of the remapping) and because it was forcing its bad technical ideology downstream (strongly encouraging via its monopoly of mindshare that emulators themselves conform to its schemes).

To hear that they have realbad actual ideology actually sucks.

Gonna continue not putting RetroArch on things, but a little more aggressively so.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Coffee Jones posted:

Things like long running toxicity that discourages contributions needs to be stamped out with a quickness.
There was an individual who came to the defense of RA in the retro thread recently, making statements that sound very similar to the gaslighting harassments made by not-AFX himself.

This stuff isn't "two sides" but even if it was, I'd sooner side with the emu devs that do insane work rather than the guy who writes some shaders. Who cares about shaders, they're not hard.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I was looking at this stuff earlier and I'm wondering what "This game does not support external controllers for the primary player", does that just mean it requires an Xbox controller?
It's on a few games that I know have controller support, like DMC4 and Revengance.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Veotax posted:

I was looking at this stuff earlier and I'm wondering what "This game does not support external controllers for the primary player", does that just mean it requires an Xbox controller?
It's on a few games that I know have controller support, like DMC4 and Revengance.

I think it's saying that you have to use the built-in steam deck controls to play the game, it's not possible to put the steam deck down and use a PS5 controller for instance.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Veotax posted:

Its the opposite, I think, it doesn't support controller rebinding and it just uses the first controller it sees, which is the built in Steam Deck controls. Itd be a problem if you docked it and tried to play with another controller.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah I guess when Proton emulates Xinput the built-in controls are mapped to Player 1, and some games only read that controller

Valve could work around that on their end by adding a toggle to disable the built in controls, but evidently they haven't

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Veotax posted:

I assume this means the game detects the Deck's controls as player 1 controller with no way to use a second controller (external) as the main method of input. A lot of single player games don't expect you to have more than one controller connected, though I would think a Steam setting allowing you to change order of connected devices would be a better solution than expecting hundreds or thousands of publishers to update older software.

E: beaten in not so many words.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I hope they figure it out, because I hella want to play Revengeance on the Deck.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Shart Carbuncle posted:

I hope they figure it out, because I hella want to play Revengeance on the Deck.

But you don't want to use the decks controls?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Shart Carbuncle posted:

Oh, Revengance is basically all green, except the controller thing, which is why I was confused on what it meant.

I guessing people are right in that it won't accept inputs from secondary controllers, which probably wouldn't mean anything when playing portable, but if you have it plugged into a monitor or something then it wouldn't accept inputs from a controller you plugged in? I assume the Deck has an option to make secondary controllers primary over the built-in controls, that would make sense.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yeah the inability for some games to disentangle "Controller 1" from the built-in controls means that the potential to use this thing Switch-like by docking it out to a TV and connecting some controllers will be curtailed until workarounds are found.

https://twitter.com/BlueMaxima/status/1488826694626525185

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The guy also harassed near to death btw.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That’s crazy.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
im going back to snes9x

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Which core

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Kwolok posted:

But you don't want to use the decks controls?

I was going to play it with Rock Band drums, obviously. (Actually I forgot what the conversation was about and got confused.)

rox
Sep 7, 2016

homeless snail posted:

The guy also harassed near to death btw.

jesus fuckin christ thats awful...

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Stux posted:

praying that openemu gets ported from macos to windows one day as its easily the best emu frontend ever made

yep, it's real good

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Gabe Gear: return of the lynx
https://twitter.com/carygolomb/status/1489411208029560838https://twitter.com/carygolomb/status/1489414880755175426
https://twitter.com/carygolomb/status/1489417577143095299

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What about next to a Wii U Tablet?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

That's a big boi, but since I use the Switch with the hori split pad I'm probably going to be used to it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

sigher posted:

I'm interested in this too, but its about an inch-and-a-half longer, , bit over half an inch shorter, and twice as thick

E:vvv thats the good stuff

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 4, 2022

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

sigher posted:

https://twitter.com/carygolomb/status/1489424619878727684

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Gat drat that's big as poo poo.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It's honestly kind of a turn off with how stupidly big it is. The Wii U Gamepad never felt great and this is noticeably larger? Yeesh.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm looking forward to playing some video games on the valve switch at some point in the future

e; that being said, how usable is the aya neo in comparison?

I'm sure some nerd like df has done a comparison

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
The bigger the better

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I read this page scrolling from the bottom upward and my thought all along was "goddamn that thing is probably as big as the Lynx" and then wham

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

When I measured my switch with a satisfye grip the length and weight were comparable IIRC.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
They’re gonna redesign it at the last second a la virtual boy so it has a stand because it will break your shoulder blades holding it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kinda cooling off just thinking I could hold my laptop up to my face instead

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

lmfao

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Thing is so huge and they still couldn't fit the buttons or dpad on it

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Seems like those touch pads really gently caress with the placement of the dpad and whatnot. Hoping they’re worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

Seems like those touch pads really gently caress with the placement of the dpad and whatnot. Hoping they’re worth it.
They absolutely are, if you intend to play anything that doesn't have controller support or, even, a lot of games that do. For one you can just, use it as a mouse if you want to play something with a mouse cursor. Its vastly preferable to play idk Civilization with a touchpad than a joystick emulating a mouse. Also a lot of games that do have joystick support like for instance FPSes, you can actually get better aim with the touchpads in trackball mode. Or you can set them up as radial or popup menus, or bind them to regions of the screen or whatever, there's like 12 different ways to bind them in Steam Input.

This is all, based on my experiences with the Steam Controller which the Steam Deck is directly following in the footsteps of, and can leverage all the bindings people have uploaded to the workshop for. If you're setting out to make a controller that can play All PC Games, that's the way you do it.