Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i posted this in the succ zone, but this is a must watch vid of a journo actually doing their job well and pressing state dept spox/worm ned price on the whole russia/ukraine "fake video" thing

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1489336004637044746

lmao the spokesman is basically a d&d poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i posted this in the succ zone, but this is a must watch vid of a journo actually doing their job well and pressing state dept spox/worm ned price on the whole russia/ukraine "fake video" thing

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1489336004637044746

based

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

synapse posted:

https://twitter.com/timkmak/status/1489345464465956870

I almost uncritically accepted that this guy blew himself up

gunfire? jesus christ what did they do

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Doctor Jeep posted:

gunfire? jesus christ what did they do
The CNN story already mentioned it

quote:

One witness in Atmeh, who asked not to be named for security reasons, said that machine gunfire erupted from at least three helicopters flying overhead, followed by an explosion some minutes later. The area has a heavy presence of Hay'at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) forces, that were formerly affiliated to al Qaeda.

Yeah the dude totally murked his own kids, also spraying the house with miniguns definitely did not hit any of them.

source for the quote: https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1489192551064436739

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

an ISIS leader surrounded by HTS guys? did they reconcile?

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

BULBASAUR posted:

god drat, I love the racist AF comments

yes, and?

And we don't have to treat the movie like it's some high art.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Lostconfused posted:

I only saw one complaint about translation. They didn't do the punchline to the "I'm your daddy" joke.

No the spoken english was kinda bad.

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

Tankbuster posted:

No the spoken english was kinda bad.

Yeah it almost sounded like foreign actors trying badly to do American accents.

Tbf I can see why because I doubt most Chinese have enough exposure to English speakers to know the difference but it was jarring to me.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

if you dont believe that bloodthirsty american operators happily gunned down a bunch women and children and clumsily tried to cover it up then you are a sucker. sorry but its true!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

All this Ukraine/Russia stuff is getting boring. The US should do a color revolution in Canada to overthrow Justin Trudeau.

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

AnimeIsTrash posted:

All this Ukraine/Russia stuff is getting boring. The US should do a color revolution in Canada to overthrow Justin Trudeau.

Blackface revolution

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

the US probably killed more civilians in that raid than china has this year in their "genocide"

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

the US probably killed more civilians in that raid than china has this year in their "genocide"

:yooge: WHOSE SIDE ARE YOU ON ANYWAYS

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

Does anyone know who the ISIS guy was? Is this someone who had some sort of public profile before this?

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if they just lit up some house in Syria so Biden could go on TV and go "we got the bastard."

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Friend, have you heard of the freedom convoy?

https://twitter.com/Drew__Barnes/status/1486050287215210496

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

mila kunis posted:

pretty much

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

anyone remember this story saying Baghdadi was made up?

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/18/world/africa/18iht-iraq.4.6718200.html posted:

Leader of Al Qaeda group in Iraq was fictional, U.S. military says
July 18, 2007
BAGHDAD — For more than a year, the leader of one the most notorious insurgent groups in Iraq was said to be a mysterious Iraqi named Abdullah Rashid al-Baghdadi.

As the titular head of the Islamic State in Iraq, an organization publicly backed by Al Qaeda, Baghdadi issued a steady stream of incendiary pronouncements. Despite claims by Iraqi officials that he had been killed in May, Baghdadi appeared to have persevered unscathed.

On Wednesday, a senior American military spokesman provided a new explanation for Baghdadi's ability to escape attack: He never existed.

Brigadier General Kevin Bergner, the chief American military spokesman, said the elusive Baghdadi was actually a fictional character whose audio-taped declarations were provided by an elderly actor named Abu Adullah al-Naima.

The ruse, Bergner said, was devised by Abu Ayub al-Masri, the Egyptian-born leader of Al Qaeda in Mesopotamia, who was trying to mask the dominant role that foreigners play in that insurgent organization.

The ploy was to invent Baghdadi, a figure whose very name establishes his Iraqi pedigree, install him as the head of a front organization called the Islamic State of Iraq and then arrange for Masri to swear allegiance to him. Ayman al-Zawahiri, Osama bin Laden's deputy, sought to reinforce the deception by referring to Baghdadi in his video and Internet statements.

The evidence for the American assertions, Bergner announced at a news briefing, was provided by an Iraqi insurgent: Khalid Abdul Fatah Daud Mahmud al-Mashadani, who was said to have been captured by American forces in Mosul on July 4.

According to Bergner, Mashadani is the most senior Iraqi operative in Al Qaeda in Mesopotamia. He got his start in the Ansar al-Sunna insurgent group before joining Al Qaeda in Mesopotamia more than two years ago, and became the group's "media emir" for all of Iraq. Bergner said that Mashadani was also an intermediary between Masri in Iraq and bin Laden and Zawahiri, whom the Americans assert support and guide their Iraqi affiliate.

"Mashadani confirms that al-Masri and the foreign leaders with whom he surrounds himself, not Iraqis, made the operational decisions" for Al Qaeda in Mesopotamia, Bergner said.

The struggle between the American military and Qaeda affiliate in Iraq is political as well as military. And one purpose of the briefing Wednesday seemed to be to rattle the 90 percent of the group's adherents who are believed to be Iraqi by suggesting that they are doing the bidding of foreigners.

An important element of the American strategy is to drive a wedge between Al Qaeda in Mesopotamia, other insurgent groups and the Sunni population.

Al Qaeda in Mesopotamia, for its part, has engaged in its own form of psychological warfare. The Islamic State of Iraq recently issued two videos that were said to show an attack in Diyala Province on an American Bradley vehicle with a roadside bomb, as well as an assault on an Iraqi military checkpoint.

The recent American operation to clear western Baquba, the provincial capital of Diyala, of Qaeda fighters was dubbed Arrowhead Ripper. In a statement, the Islamic State of Iraq claimed that "the arrows have been returned to the enemy like boomerangs," according to Site Institute, which monitors international terrorist groups.

Bruce Riedel, a former CIA official and a Middle East expert, said that experts had long wondered whether Baghdadi actually existed. "There has been a question mark about this," he said.

Nonetheless, Riedel suggested that the disclosures made Wednesday might not be the final word on Baghdadi and the leaders of Al Qaeda in Mesopotamia. Even Mashadani's assertions, Riedel said, might be a cover story to protect a leader who does in fact exist.

"First, they say we have killed him," Riedel said, referring to the statements by some Iraqi government officials. "Then we heard him after his death and now they are saying he never existed. That suggests that our intelligence on Al Qaeda in Iraq is not what we want it to be."

American military spokesmen insist they have gotten to the truth on Baghdadi. Mashadani, they say, provided his account because he resented the role of foreign leaders in Al Qaeda in Mesopotamia. They say he has not repudiated the organization.

While the American military says that senior Qaeda leaders in Pakistan provide guidance, general direction and support for Al Qaeda in Mesopotamia, they did not provide any examples of a specific raid or operation that was ordered by Pakistan-based leaders of Al Qaeda.

An unclassified National Intelligence Estimate on terrorist threats to the United States homeland, which was made public in Washington on Tuesday, suggested that Al Qaeda in Mesopotamia draws support from Al Qaeda leaders in Pakistan but also has some autonomy. It described Al Qaeda in Mesopotamia as "an affiliate."

"We assess that Al Qaeda will probably seek to leverage the contacts and capabilities of Al Qaeda in Iraq, its most visible and capable affiliate and the only one known to have expressed a desire to attack the homeland."

In the latest violence in Iraq, a series of roadside bombs exploded early Wednesday in separate areas of east Baghdad, killing 11 people and wounding more than a dozen, the police said, according to The Associated Press. The U.S. military reported that three more American soldiers had died in action in the Iraqi capital.

lol

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://twitter.com/shaunwalker7/status/1489333066501967877?s=20&t=DFWD1QnYNb70esf7JZyGOQ

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

mawarannahr posted:

lol

quote:

The ploy was to invent Baghdadi, a figure whose very name establishes his Iraqi pedigree,

Lmao

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

FuzzySlippers posted:

I've been wanting to watch the first one. What's a site to watch Chinese movies at a decent quality with English subtitles? I haven't found many options for the majority of Chinese movies so I've only watched the handful that turn up on US streaming sites. They also don't ever turn up on usenet. Otherwise I sometimes stumble into them on Youtube but the quality sucks.

this but id like to know if anybody has any idea who owns the international distribution rights for these movies it seems like someone must own them if theyre going to the trouble of adding english subtitles to them

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/martyn_williams/status/1488895551588515852

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

this but id like to know if anybody has any idea who owns the international distribution rights for these movies it seems like someone must own them if theyre going to the trouble of adding english subtitles to them

https://cmc-pictures.com/about-us/

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/DerekJGrossman/status/1489362442060644353

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
re: that guy who died in Syria

there's a photo of his corpse on Twitter and I do not believe he blew himself up in a way that killed him and twelve other people

body is intact, with a gunshot wound in the head, my first thought was navy seals canoed him

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea uh don't look the pic up because it's absolutely a dude who got shot a bunch and you probably don't need to see that but there is a pic going around some local twitter people claiming to be the ISIS guy's body and...yea he super doesn't look 'blown up', if it is him it's super obvious the guys just dumped their helicopter guns into the building.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I just wanna pay for a service that lets me browse Chinese movies and watch them with subtitles rather than screw around with looking for a good copy on Youtube. I couldn't find any Chinese streaming sites with English options.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

quote:

“We think partnership with the United States conveys a series of advantages that countries typically would not find when it comes to the sorts of relationships that the PRC (Peoples Republic of China) has sought to have around the world,” Price said.

Officials in Washington are critical of China’s Belt and Road Initiative, including CPEC, saying it’s a “debt-trap” for developing countries, including Pakistan.

Islamabad and Beijing dismiss the criticism as unfounded, saying CPEC projects have ended Pakistan’s power crisis and laid the foundation for sustainable economic growth in the country.

Khan has strongly defended China’s controversial human rights record, especially against allegations that Chinese authorities are carrying out large-scale abuses against minority Uyghur Muslims in Xinjiang.

“There is a lot of criticism about the treatment of Uyghur by China in the West. But our ambassador went there [to Xinjiang] and he sent us information that this is actually not true on the ground,” he told a group of Chinese journalists in Islamabad ahead of his Beijing visit.

lmao

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/feliciasonmez/status/1489322915036377095?t=Ccxw5VTKqzFi4KbT2RdoLw&s=19

lol psaki basically confirming they merked him and all the children too

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

CaptainACAB posted:

And we don't have to treat the movie like it's some high art.

tbh idk how anybody could come away from that movie thinking it was anything but average with passable to bad CGI

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

BULBASAUR posted:

tbh idk how anybody could come away from that movie thinking it was anything but average with passable to bad CGI

I think it was just a backlash to the backlash mostly.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
then again people think the new matrix is good, the bar is just that low

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/shaunwalker7/status/1489332450606166024

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

FuzzySlippers posted:

I've been wanting to watch the first one. What's a site to watch Chinese movies at a decent quality with English subtitles? I haven't found many options for the majority of Chinese movies so I've only watched the handful that turn up on US streaming sites. They also don't ever turn up on usenet. Otherwise I sometimes stumble into them on Youtube but the quality sucks.

i ripped the 1080p english subtitled one from youtube, i could make a torrent i guess. it's not amazing quality, but it's plenty good enough

e: never mind, the same version appears to already be on the various public trackers, just go to your favourite one and download :v:

Truga has issued a correction as of 00:27 on Feb 4, 2022

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

mila kunis posted:

if man could live off leather alone d&d would feast like kings

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mawarannahr posted:

lol

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/03/world/middleeast/abu-ibrahim-al-hashemi-al-qurayshi-isis.html

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
going to darkly lol when it comes out the killings today were by task force 9 continuing to do whatever the gently caress it wants outside of any military oversight

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
If the admin had just done the usual thing of saying "whoops we killed some kids our bad but you know these things happen" it would already have blown over. Instead, tomorrow Jen Psaki is going to declare that one of those kids was Osama Bin Laden reincarnated through dark Islamic magics.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

If only the US had a history of doing debt traps in Pakistan. Imagine that.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

So when is that imminent Russian invasioLOOK OVER THERE IT'S ISIS!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

going to darkly lol when it comes out the killings today were by task force 9 continuing to do whatever the gently caress it wants outside of any military oversight
It's really weird though how much the NYT has been going after them recently.