Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It wasn't directed at you. It was part of my original post and therefore included in the correction

Ah, my mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Rainbow Knight posted:

there is none. It's a stupid argument. I'm only throwing out rhetoric because the whole thing started with dumb rhetoric. Democrats "doing something right" isn't worth even considering as a real subject for debate because it's based on nothing.

I mean, here in Anaheim our city council denied Disney a tax break for building a hotel a few years ago. Unsurprisingly, the candidates supported by Disney's money were Democrats and also endorsed by the Democratic Party of Orange County (which I guess doesn't really count since they endorse any Democrat it seems) but that's a pretty good indicator in my mind that the Democratic Party's platform of "whatever i guess maaaaaaaaaan" doesn't really warrant credit at all.

If someone is engaging in empty rhetoric, the way to meet it is not more empty rhetoric. This may not be completely clear in the rules but pure talking points, common narratives, unfalsifiable political claims etc are discouraged, and like most poor arguments in D&D, the way to deal with them is not to engage in the same thing back, but report, ignore, or engage with rigor.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I really hate the constant referral to polling because it is only ever used by liberals to explain why things aren't happening. If it polls poorly, well there you go, can't expect the Dems to do the unpopular thing. If it polls well, it's not polling well enough, we have to get that number higher. If it polls really well then they start hemming and hawing about how as soon as we did the thing the polling would flip, or how easy it would be to propagandize to get that number lower, or check out these crosstabs, etc.

So long as you start from the assumption that the Democrats are doing the right thing the poll, any poll, confirms it. You just have to figure out how.

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

Koos Group posted:

If someone is engaging in empty rhetoric, the way to meet it is not more empty rhetoric. This may not be completely clear in the rules but pure talking points, common narratives, unfalsifiable political claims etc are discouraged, and like most poor arguments in D&D, the way to deal with them is not to engage in the same thing back, but report, ignore, or engage with rigor.

gently caress you idiot

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

If the California Politics thread isn't a safe space to argue past each other in bad faith then it is not an accurate representation of California politics and I won't stand for it.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Some of us are arguing southbound on the 101 and others are arguing northbound on the 99 and what we should be doing is meeting at the In-N-Out in Kettleman City and hashing it out

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

CPColin posted:

Some of us are arguing southbound on the 101 and others are arguing northbound on the 99 and what we should be doing is meeting at the In-N-Out in Kettleman City and hashing it out Casa De Fruta in Pacheco Pass and hashing it out over hashbrowns

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

That's way too far north. Neutral stinky ground in the central valley is far more fair and balanced.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Kaal posted:

Incremental change

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Tuxedo Gin posted:

That's way too far north. Neutral stinky ground in the central valley is far more fair and balanced.

I once again feel compelled to remind everyone that the west valley is a strange desert and most of the Central Valley on the 99 corridor is quite pleasant.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Kenning posted:

I once again feel compelled to remind everyone that the west valley is a strange desert and most of the Central Valley on the 99 corridor is quite pleasant.

Unless it's summertime. Or they're plowing and the air is 50% dirt.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I admit to genuinely enjoying when it's like 108 out. It feels like the world is trying to kill you, it rocks. Particulate pollution is less fun.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

To make it clear, my issue is with what I see as lazy rhetoric that people use to avoid discussions with nuance that might take them outside of their comfort zone. If this just a chat thread, vent away, but it's a discussion thread, lets discuss.

To give a different example to illustrate, I've several times seen people say something along the lines of "economics is just astrology for people with MBAs", which is a solid burn and a bailey.(not in this thread, but elsewhere) When challenged, they retreat to the motte, which is "economics that has been used in politics is often wrong with predictions and analysis" which is absolutely true.

But none of that goes into the problems with economics or the usefulness of economics. You can talk about how there's a huge base of good research that supports raising the minimum wage but you'll also get "chicago boys lol, go ask Chile about economics"

Pretty good argument. Unless someone comes up with a better counter-argument, I'm gonna have to concur.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I remember going there once as a kid and there were a lot of nearby billboards about them having a buffalo (really a bison) named Bucky. I remember the bison just looked kind of sad. But hey, they had a train ride.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Majorian posted:

I remember going there once as a kid and there were a lot of nearby billboards about them having a buffalo (really a bison) named Bucky. I remember the bison just looked kind of sad. But hey, they had a train ride.

I remember riding the little train and feeding the ducks as a kid :shobon:
Also at the diner when I was young I met Eugene Zanger, the "Cup Flipper". He was part of the family that owned the restaurant and I guess he taught himself how to flip cups when things were slow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUYtoY5RYVE

Mainly though I liked getting late night hashbrowns or whatever. Their diner was actually pretty good as far as those things go. I've heard they've had to cut hours recently though.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/dillonliam/status/1488998508292022272?s=21

drat billionaires running roughshod over regular joe
Millionaires like me.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

so fill the place with mountain lions. got it.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I hate that poo poo because it fuels animosity towards conservationalists and is why we end up with people thinking climate change is a hoax.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

The Duplexes are Coming is the next Zombie horror film for NIMBY shitheads

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

lmao PG&E just sent me an email saying why my gas bill is triple what it was last year.

quote:

Natural gas prices have gone up significantly, not just within PG&E’s service area or California, but nationwide and globally. From November 2021 to January 2022, the costs have been 90% higher than last winter. The price our customers pay for natural gas is the same price we pay. This means we pass through the cost of these energy purchases directly to our customers and do not earn a profit.

Weird how they don't mention how they're also paying off lawsuits for murdering people as a reason.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Actually, per my local Nextdoor, the reason is that Biden shut down the pipeline and banned fracking nationwide his first day in office.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I see one more 'i did that' sticker stuck to a gas pump I'm gonna lose my mind.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

lmao PG&E just sent me an email saying why my gas bill is triple what it was last year.

Weird how they don't mention how they're also paying off lawsuits for murdering people as a reason.

"pay me your wage then, rear end in a top hat"

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
SoCal Gas is doing similar hikes.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Granted it's one of the highest prices in the city but I drove by SJ City Hall today and the station kitty corner to it had no gas under $5, premium up to $5.69 :lol:

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Sydin posted:

Granted it's one of the highest prices in the city but I drove by SJ City Hall today and the station kitty corner to it had no gas under $5, premium up to $5.69 :lol:

There is a station 2 blocks from me in Los Angeles charging $5.87 for something.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
SDGE rates are absolutely absurd after the latest rate hike. We have the highest rates in the country, higher than even Hawaii. If anything makes me start a revolution, it's legal monopolies squeezing their customers for everything they have.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The pump I fill up at is $16.45 per kilogram of hydrogen

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

HANG ON a sec. can you ask them why is your bill has tripled but the price of gas hasn't even doubled?

is my math wrong or something?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Rainbow Knight posted:

HANG ON a sec. can you ask them why is your bill has tripled but the price of gas hasn't even doubled?

is my math wrong or something?

Natural gas and gasoline are different products and the world is currently experiencing a severe LNG shortage we've known was coming for months.

That's not the entire explanation for the rate hikes(gotta pad that bottom line) but it's part of it.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Jaxyon posted:

Natural gas and gasoline are different products and the world is currently experiencing a severe LNG shortage we've known was coming for months.

That's not the entire explanation for the rate hikes(gotta pad that bottom line) but it's part of it.

well yeah, the email is from PG&E.

e: I mean, I know it's not gasoline you goofball but I'm still surprised they would just out themselves like that because that's just loving dumb. I mean, it seems to me that if the price of natural gas goes up by 90% and they pout and jack up everyone's gas bill to compensate then clearly it should be a 90% increase and not a 200% increase

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 4, 2022

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Jaxyon posted:

Is it an actual shortage or an artificial one? Just doing some cursory googling it appears the US has stepped up to be the #1 LNG exporter in the world, so how much of the domestic "shortage" driving prices up is due to producers vastly preferring to ship it overseas where they can make way more money off of it than selling domestically?

Source: https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/us-be-worlds-biggest-lng-exporter-2022-2021-12-21/

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Yeah mostly the gas shortages in Europe can be linked pretty directly to Russia halting LNG pipeline exports after being told that their new pipeline to Germany wouldn't be granted an exemption to EU climate regulations. Russia has been pretty clearly trying to leverage their fossil fuels against Ukraine with that new pipeline, and has been trying to force Europeans to bend the knee politically through a fuel crisis. The US has begun shipping LNG overseas in larger amounts to meet the demand.

There's other elements at hand as well, particularly in regards to Germany offlining a bunch of nuclear power capacity that they've been replacing with Russian gas and American wood pellets, but also because power projections have been skewed by the pandemic and high wind output in 2020 followed by low wind output in 2021 (aka favorable weather juiced the annual stats).

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/03/business/natural-gas-europe-us.html

https://theconversation.com/can-the-us-find-enough-natural-gas-sources-to-neutralize-russias-energy-leverage-over-europe-175824

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/europe-remains-top-destination-us-lng-second-month-running-2022-02-01/

Kaal fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 4, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Sydin posted:

Is it an actual shortage or an artificial one? Just doing some cursory googling it appears the US has stepped up to be the #1 LNG exporter in the world, so how much of the domestic "shortage" driving prices up is due to producers vastly preferring to ship it overseas where they can make way more money off of it than selling domestically?

Source: https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/us-be-worlds-biggest-lng-exporter-2022-2021-12-21/

There's a global shortage, yes, but you're right that it's not necessarily based purely off of global production as Kaal is covering.

But also you're right that in the US we're exporting more to make that sweet sweet cash since the government is far too bought by petrochemical companies to regulate that and keep prices low here.

We're set to high an all time high of LNG production in the US this year.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Rainbow Knight posted:

We are currently experiencing higher than expected call volume. Please stay on the line for the next available representative. Your call is important to us.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Unsatisfied with merely literally burning its customers,

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Centrist Committee posted:

We are currently experiencing higher than expected call volume. Please stay on the line for the next available representative. Your call is important to us.

Estimated wait time is: 6 hours and 3 minutes.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm too lazy to Google the link but abc 8 or w.e. my local sac station is had a nice little article about the EDD fraud program where every person interviewed said they just got a letter and hadn't actually been able to talk to EDD yet lol. Same energy

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
Hey isn't there an election for Governor this year? It's already February and I haven't heard a single thing about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Trazz posted:

Hey isn't there an election for Governor this year? It's already February and I haven't heard a single thing about it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_California_gubernatorial_election

Primary is in June, election is in November.

I dunno if any viable candidates want to throw their hat in the ring this year. Republicans lost big in the recall. Maybe a Democrat might want to try to primary Newsom but it feels like a long shot, particularly since we're in the middle of a pandemic and Gavin has done a reasonable job (compared to every other governor) keeping it together.