Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Thanks, sounds like I need to look into some nitrile gloves

2nd this. If I can't use / engineer a handle of some sort I wear gloves because of the same issue. My skin oil seems to be acidic to paint or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

jassi007 posted:

2nd this. If I can't use / engineer a handle of some sort I wear gloves because of the same issue. My skin oil seems to be acidic to paint or something.

Ah, the infamous "piss hands" Adam Savage mentioned in a recent Corridor Crew video !

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Slowly remembering that painting is fun! Finished my stand-in Techmarine, the normal Iron Father head is the worst space marine head ever invented, including whatever wacky Rogue Trader Mad Morris lump of pewter that will be a response to this statement

Came up with a sick backstory too

Gonna say he like did his Techmarine undergrad studies at this forge world before he went and just did a bachelor in like finance maybe and so they transferred him to my chapters' accounting department and he's not happy with his job overall and might go to the emperor and ask for a raise or some time off maybe, you know, find out more about himself and maybe travel, if it's safe

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I had a rare snow day so I figured I'd give my light box another run. Pretty happy with how this Skaven Arch-Warlock conversion is coming along. Outside the Tech Priest body, it was all Skaven pieces I had on hand. Pleased with how the it's coming along.

Still working on getting photos decent. Feel like I'm still too close maybe.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Thanks, sounds like I need to look into some nitrile gloves

Nitrile gloves are expensive as gently caress right now, go to your local Dollar Tree or Dollar General and grab some polypropylene gloves, you get 50 pairs for $1 and they're good enough.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know this is more painting, but I was wondering does anyone have any tips on dry fitting modular IGuard bits? Unlike say some of the other figures I’ve done that are not modular, it’s kind of hard to find a fit I feel good about, and I’m also concerned about any gaps in the model. In this case it’s a Flamer set for a Cadian Infantry Squad.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Silhouette posted:

Nitrile gloves are expensive as gently caress right now, go to your local Dollar Tree or Dollar General and grab some polypropylene gloves, you get 50 pairs for $1 and they're good enough.

Yeah, for spraypainting or airbrushing or just holding models as you paint them, the less expensive vinyl gloves will do the trick. You only need to get nitrile if you're gonna be doing some resin 3D printing.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I know this is more painting, but I was wondering does anyone have any tips on dry fitting modular IGuard bits? Unlike say some of the other figures I’ve done that are not modular, it’s kind of hard to find a fit I feel good about, and I’m also concerned about any gaps in the model. In this case it’s a Flamer set for a Cadian Infantry Squad.

Got sticky tac?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Feirros and that Magos model are some of my favorite kitbashing material.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

The Demilich posted:

Feirros and that Magos model are some of my favorite kitbashing material.

Yours looks wicked!!! You also wisely did not use the Worst Space Marine Head of All Time

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I don't remember this scene.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I don't remember this scene.

it's right around when Wedge says he's been a good boy.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Nice work! Let's put it in the center of the action.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

that owns tyvm

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Slowly remembering that painting is fun! Finished my stand-in Techmarine, the normal Iron Father head is the worst space marine head ever invented, including whatever wacky Rogue Trader Mad Morris lump of pewter that will be a response to this statement

See, this implies that rogue trader era marines werent the best marines, which... is that an opinion people actually have? Beaky boys best boys.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

lol this is sweet

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

SiKboy posted:

See, this implies that rogue trader era marines werent the best marines, which... is that an opinion people actually have? Beaky boys best boys.

I own a real LE02, I love me some Rogue Trader stuff, although it's even before my time (my brother and I started in early 3rd edition)

Some of those head sculpts were...emotive! I love early Marneus:

Probably my personal "grail" GW mini after "Wizard with a Submachinegun"

protomexican
May 1, 2009
WHY DIDN'T YOU GUYS TELL ME ABOUT OIL WASHES SOONER!?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
They've been the In Thing for the last year or two!

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
1988 Aly Morrison sculpt ‘Rambones’

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Skails posted:

holy poo poo you've got one and it's beautiful

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
That Rambowns.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Skails posted:

Rambones: No Blood Part II

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Dr Worm and his buddies from Infinity, WIP

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That's amazing. :)

My project to paint up my old marine models is advancing slowly. I just finished a Librarian from the Libators Chapter. That's 6 out of 13 chapters of Second Founding Ultramarines successors for my Ultramar Honor Company collection.
(Looking at the glued together model I think I have to go back and paint a black border for the blue Libators chalice on the banner. It looks a bit wierd right now)

My first model for this year was an old Predator, in Aurora Chapter heraldry.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Quoting from the Infinity thread, I think painting and basing 8 models in one night is a record for me

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Playing my first in person ITS game in a couple of hours. I speed painted everything except the two Zhanshi from bare metal yesterday :negative:

10 models, 15 orders, let's gooooooo

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I need a quick bit of advice on this Ogroid Thaumaturge. I've based his skin in Rakarth Flesh. My idea is to apply Druchii Violet on the skin now, except around the tattoos where I'm going to do the Biel tan Green shade. Then I'm going to touch up the tattoos with a bit more Hoeth Blue and finish with a faint dry brush of the Skink Blue.

My question for more experienced painters is should I shade the tattoos with Drakenhof Nightshade (blue) instead of the green? Or will that be too much blue? I really want the tattoos to pop.

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 6, 2022

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Another Bill posted:

I need a quick bit of advice on this Ogroid Thaumaturge. I've based his skin in Rakarth Flesh. My idea is to apply Druchii Violet on the skin now, except around the tattoos where I'm going to do the Biel tan Green shade. Then I'm going to touch up the tattoos with a bit more Hoeth Blue and finish with a faint dry brush of the Skink Blue.

My question for more experienced painters is should I shade the tattoos with Drakenhof Nightshade (blue) instead of the green? Or will that be too much blue? I really want the tattoos to pop.

If you want the tattoo to pop, I wouldn't shade them, but instead paint the innermost part of the tattoo almost white, and then glaze the area around the tattoo with blue, like this:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Yeah I was looking at some painting guides that's aid yellow or white in the middle. I'll try that out thanks!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good cold brown? Looking for something kinda chocolate-ish with a blue tone, and I've been burned too many times to trust online paint swatches. Normally I'd just mix it myself but I'm going to be using it off and on pretty regularly so I want to make sure I have some consistency.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I come seeking a different recommendation than the above poster.

I kinda want some sort of tablet for looking at tutorial videos and PDFs while I'm painting. My phone screen works, but it is of course rather small. I tried charging up my old Kindle Fire (1st gen) and the screen pixel density doesn't seem that great and the color accuracy also isn't great.

Anyone here use a tablet for looking at painting tutorials?

Basically all I want it good color accuracy/pixel density and ideally wifi but if I have to plug it to my computer via USB that's fine too for file transfers.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*Cue Rolling Stones and Chaos Black Rattle Can*

I’ll admit I gave them kind of a basic approach. There is still a ton of stuff on sprues and I’m wondering how I can get body parts to fill it out even more.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

For anyone that has used one of the GW painting.... wands, I guess, how did the rubber bands hold up? I felt like constantly spraying them with caustic spray paint would cause the rubber to perish pretty quickly.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

For anyone that has used one of the GW painting.... wands, I guess, how did the rubber bands hold up? I felt like constantly spraying them with caustic spray paint would cause the rubber to perish pretty quickly.
I’ve only had very limited experience so far, but the biggest issue is occasionally they get partially flipped on the other side and have to fix it. That said it’s great in that it works, keeps stuff secure, and I don’t have to jury rig stuff.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I was skipping the rubber bands and just using blue tack instead.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I have the V1 of that not the V2 as pictured, and it's okay? I kind of wish I had the V2 because the model looks more usable. Yeah, I know, you can get a long stick and some bluetack but bluetack never feels secure enough to me.

Yeah, the rubber bands prevents some spray getting on the base, but I don't personally care because I can just go over it with brush on primer, the base isn't really something I deal with until the end anyways.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Aranan posted:

I was skipping the rubber bands and just using blue tack instead.

This seems like the life hack that might make one of those things actually be somewhat almost worth it.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
I'm considering taking up mini painting, probably for smaller skirmish level games like Frostgrave and Gaslands. A number of links of the front page don't work anymore though. Any other resources you'd recommend for getting started?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Finished a unit of Demonettes