Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I always saw the one unique thing being resurrection as kinda not being unique enough. What's something the ONLY THING IN THE WORLD that applies to your character. I mean, I guess it's whatever floats your boat, but reading about it makes me miss my old group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Well, if your OUT is being resurrected, that means nobody else can be resurrected. 13th Age spends some words on how OUT doesn't have to be unique, but as a GM, that's a fun thing to make unique.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I always saw the one unique thing being resurrection as kinda not being unique enough. What's something the ONLY THING IN THE WORLD that applies to your character. I mean, I guess it's whatever floats your boat, but reading about it makes me miss my old group.
It was way more boring before that. Like seriously way more boring.

My Lovely Horse posted:

What are the Shark God's tenets of faith?
Still unclear but it involves Vengeance and Beauty and Trickery!

She was apparently a genetic experiment by the High Druid - so she has gills and spends her spare time looting shipwrecks.

One of my players is getting super annoyed at the rulebook. And I get it. So much of it is (a) way too conversational/jokey when they should be giving clear rules, (b) patting themselves on the back about how great a rules decision they made was, and/or (c) sparring with D&D 3.5 design philosophy and its fans in indirect ways - which hasn't aged well because nowadays nobody gives a gently caress about 3.5.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 4, 2022

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

dwarf74 posted:

It was way more boring before that. Like seriously way more boring.

One of my players is getting super annoyed at the rulebook. And I get it. So much of it is (a) way too conversational/jokey when they should be giving rules, (b) patting themselves on the back about how great a rules decision they made was, and/or (c) sparring with D&D 3.5 design philosophy and its fans in indirect ways - which hasn't aged well because nowadays nobody gives a gently caress about 3.5.

Tbf on that last point, you can port most of those arguments to 5e and no one would notice.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Since Archmage is OGL, if I thought it'd sell, I'd make an unofficial 2e that fixed all the lovely player facing rules and actually makes the Icon Rolls work.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Covok posted:

Tbf on that last point, you can port most of those arguments to 5e and no one would notice.
I hate being in a position of defending 5e but it's way, way more matter of fact about it in language and doesn't explain itself or pat itself on the back, inside or outside of sidebars, on nearly every page.

I get it, 13A is a product of its time in a whole lot of ways. It's also simply a more focused game than 5e. But I get the complaint. (I'd never noticed tbh because I read 13A back when that was all relevant and novel.)

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

CitizenKeen posted:

Well, if your OUT is being resurrected, that means nobody else can be resurrected. 13th Age spends some words on how OUT doesn't have to be unique, but as a GM, that's a fun thing to make unique.

Yeah, a player making that their OUT means in the story you're telling resurrection is rare and special. From there everyone at the table negotiates if that means there will be 0 other resurrections period, if the nature of their resurrection is what's unique, or if the group for that matter wants to (or can) pioneer magic, technology or something else to resurrect others later in the story.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Actually, declaring something super common as your own unique thing, and then following that through in the fiction and maintaining its uniqueness, is a good prompt for some pretty great world building.

This is Josh the Ranger and he's the only one who knows what animal domestication even is.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My dude was a cleric too so there were the seeds of his unknown benefactor eventually passing on the secret or something.

we played, like, two sessions

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xiahou Dun posted:

Actually, declaring something super common as your own unique thing, and then following that through in the fiction and maintaining its uniqueness, is a good prompt for some pretty great world building.

This is Josh the Ranger and he's the only one who knows what animal domestication even is.
This is Dave. He bathes.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Splicer posted:

This is Dave. He bathes.

That's the spirit.

My original example was actually going to be, "likes cats" with the implication that in the setting everyone thinks cats are ungodly horrors and live in constant fear of the purring menace. But I thought that might be too out there so calmed down and made it just the concept of domestication.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Xiahou Dun posted:

Honestly this is the #1 most intriguing thing I've seen somebody say about 13A.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
dragon quest builders-level "your character is literally the only person who knows how to stack objects"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

As a DM I'd be thinking of a world where magic invisible or undead servants, helper goblins and possibly slaves are inrgained into society at a deep level, and where any animal is a potential threat and only High Druid people manage to eke out a kind of truce. Also the food setup is going to be interesting. Meat as a rare pleasure if you've managed to hunt or poach a stag, and so on.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
What I like about OUTs is they often tie into fame. Like, they don't have to be wild to be good. My newest player, who didn't know about non-d6 dice when we sat down to chargen, made his OUT "the best Dwarven engineer". That's not weird, it has no world-building implications. But it's an amazing OUT, because by saying he's the best, in a culture that respects engineering and craftsmanship, he's a celebrity. He's a first level paladin so he's no famous warrior (yet), but the bridges he's built, the vaults he's designed - every dwarf knows who he is. As a GM, that's an amazing hook that propels the game forward.

Anyway, "Josh the Ranger likes cats" is also amazing, but I don't think you need to push the needle that far to make OUT a really compelling tool.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I had a player come up with “.. the only dwarf who has had a hit single.”

So.. I guess the dwarves sussed out gramophone records at some point? Well, they did now.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

hyphz posted:

I had a player come up with “.. the only dwarf who has had a hit single.”

So.. I guess the dwarves sussed out gramophone records at some point? Well, they did now.

Sounds like maybe someone else had gramophones, and dwarves are just breaking into the mechanical reproduction of music scene.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Hi, I'm Sven "Object Permanence" Svenson

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Splicer posted:

Hi, I'm Sven "Object Permanence" Svenson

*Looks away, looks back* "Oh, hello, and who are you?"

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Honestly this kind of discussion is why I like One Unique Things so much.

It's also really fun to see players' faces light up when you throw them the spotlight like that. It's a simple way to get some buy in and some shared worldbuilding that's really slick.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
My one unique thing? I'm the only person with a unique thing.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm John Smith. There is nothing unusual about me.

Nothing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

In my last game someone had "I'm the only human who ever graduated from the Elves' magic academy, and no one but me remembers it."

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Covok posted:

Since Archmage is OGL, if I thought it'd sell, I'd make an unofficial 2e that fixed all the lovely player facing rules and actually makes the Icon Rolls work.

Heartbreakers of the Fourteenth Age

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Is there anyone here familiar with Harnworld? What’s be a good place to learn the setting info (assume I care almost nothing for rules mechanics unless it helps convey flavor). I’m especially interested in the Shek-Pvar. Wizards.

I recent got to flip through a worn copy of Shek-Pvar: Magic Rules and Environment and the barebones lore info on the Shek-Pvar was kinda interesting and combined with some past things I’ve heard about harm part of me wants to learn more.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I did "only halfling to ever win her way out of Axis gladiatorial slavery" recently, and while we never really got to dig into what that implied about the Empire, it was an excellent excuse to have a paladin who turned into a dirty tavern brawler when backed into a corner.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Hello I'm Tim and I'm not on fire.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Splicer posted:

Oh, it’s the strong bad fictional universe where no two people are not on fire.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Splicer posted:

But are you an enchanter?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Splicer posted:

Icon: The Jackass

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Sorry if this is old hat, but I need to vent after a session that contained all the crap that winds me up at the moment.

The second AP in the PF2e series we're playing ends with the PCs on a flying chariot chasing the episode's Big Bad, a spellcaster, through the city.

PF2e is a crunchy game. It is for people who like crunchy games. I bring a tablet with me to help track all the states of things at the table. The best integrated tool for doing that is Hero Lab, but it's insultingly priced, in permanent beta and clunky as anything. The players all also ignore their printed character sheets and use their phones instead, because apparently someone died and named some random bloke the authority on PF character generation rules.

PF2e has a chase mechanism. It is a ridiculously lazy and poo poo chase mechanism. It is one of those where the author decides that getting PCs to make lots of skill checks and giving them points somehow creates a mechanic.

The adventure states that the PCs find the spellcaster only after completing two other encounters first. Since they are flying over the city in a chariot, the spellcaster is standing in plain sight on a roof singing a magically amplified song that can be heard all around, and the encounters are not between them and the caster, there is no reason or explanation for this. I ignore it. They've seen him. He takes flight (he's a birdman). By the rules he gains 1d4 "chase points".

"How far away was he when we saw him?" Don't know, they didn't bother to put that in the AP, nor any suggestion of it. And there's no mapping of chase points to distance. It also does not mention how high anyone is flying, so nobody knows how dangerous falling would be.

Other things it also does not tell us: how far the PCs chariot moves per turn, whether it needs to be steered, how difficult it is to turn, how any damage has impact upon chase points, etc. This becomes relevant when the Gunslinger, who has a weapon with a 150' range band, starts shooting at him and the book gives no way to resolve the distance and no way to calculate the effect of the damage on the chase. I decide to penalise his chase rolls, because since the rules give no way to establish how he can dodge or avoid being in line of sight of the Gunslinger, if I inflict HP damage the gunslinger will blast him out of the air before we even get to the actual encounter.

Per the AP rules, he summons some monsters to defend him. They're a kind of cool monster concept, actually - air dragon like creatures, but formed of the pressure waves that create music. They begin to fly towards the PCs, although we can't tell when they reach them because we do not know how far the caster is from the chariot. Since they are very fast fliers, I decide that 2 move actions will get them there.

The Gunslinger interrupts to point out that since combat has been joined, his Hair Trigger feat lets him immediately fire his gun. "Go for it," I say. Instead of shooting the melodic dragons, he shoots the caster again. Having technically dealt enough damage to end the encounter right there, I instead decides that he cripples his wings and he's now dropping out of the sky. Since we do not know how high up this is happening, nobody can tell if the fall will kill him or not.

A PC decides to speed up the chariot and try to move it underneath the falling caster to catch him. Since we don't know how far that is nor how fast the chariot moves, I figure to have him make an Acrobatics/Piloting check and call it a day. For whatever bizarre reason, one of the PCs with a flying race also decides to jump over and catch him as he's falling, and so manages to do so first. How high above the deck does he catch him? God only knows. I just bodge it as "not far enough to cause much damage", since they were trying to catch him in the first place.

In his turn, the caster tries to break the grapple (what other option is there), falls on the deck, and is immediately surrounded by mace-wielding PCs and pounded into jam. At the same time, the flying PC actually makes one of the melodic dragons crash onto the deck as well, causing a discussion as to whether or not there's a railing on the chariot, how the dragon can land on the deck when the railing is in the way, and whether or not the railing would break. At the same time, I am also left to judge if the weight of the dragon landing on the deck is enough to overpower the lift of the chariot. Because obviously when there's a dragon made of animated song one of your concerns is going to be how much it weighs.

So in what is supposed to be a crunchy game, crunchy enough that I had to spend the bulk of the previous evening setting up the tool for those encounters and working out what to do with the caster, I had to ad-lib 80% of the key decisions and the result was the usual run of various "neat" but unremarkable actions and then the PCs winning without much in terms of problem solving, the kind of thing that gets people saying you're player-centred and they had fun and then going oddly quiet when you mention wanting to run something else.

At the same time it seems the only alternative the market offers to these is games where the adlib is baked in from the start, which is OK if it's inevitable, but that don't even give enough of an adventure or definition to get as far as the chase in the first place.

That was vaguely cathartic.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

hyphz posted:

Sorry if this is old hat, but I need to vent after a session that contained all the crap that winds me up at the moment.

The second AP in the PF2e series we're playing ends with the PCs on a flying chariot chasing the episode's Big Bad, a spellcaster, through the city.

PF2e is a crunchy game. It is for people who like crunchy games. I bring a tablet with me to help track all the states of things at the table. The best integrated tool for doing that is Hero Lab, but it's insultingly priced, in permanent beta and clunky as anything. The players all also ignore their printed character sheets and use their phones instead, because apparently someone died and named some random bloke the authority on PF character generation rules.

PF2e has a chase mechanism. It is a ridiculously lazy and poo poo chase mechanism. It is one of those where the author decides that getting PCs to make lots of skill checks and giving them points somehow creates a mechanic.

The adventure states that the PCs find the spellcaster only after completing two other encounters first. Since they are flying over the city in a chariot, the spellcaster is standing in plain sight on a roof singing a magically amplified song that can be heard all around, and the encounters are not between them and the caster, there is no reason or explanation for this. I ignore it. They've seen him. He takes flight (he's a birdman). By the rules he gains 1d4 "chase points".

"How far away was he when we saw him?" Don't know, they didn't bother to put that in the AP, nor any suggestion of it. And there's no mapping of chase points to distance. It also does not mention how high anyone is flying, so nobody knows how dangerous falling would be.

Other things it also does not tell us: how far the PCs chariot moves per turn, whether it needs to be steered, how difficult it is to turn, how any damage has impact upon chase points, etc. This becomes relevant when the Gunslinger, who has a weapon with a 150' range band, starts shooting at him and the book gives no way to resolve the distance and no way to calculate the effect of the damage on the chase. I decide to penalise his chase rolls, because since the rules give no way to establish how he can dodge or avoid being in line of sight of the Gunslinger, if I inflict HP damage the gunslinger will blast him out of the air before we even get to the actual encounter.

Per the AP rules, he summons some monsters to defend him. They're a kind of cool monster concept, actually - air dragon like creatures, but formed of the pressure waves that create music. They begin to fly towards the PCs, although we can't tell when they reach them because we do not know how far the caster is from the chariot. Since they are very fast fliers, I decide that 2 move actions will get them there.

The Gunslinger interrupts to point out that since combat has been joined, his Hair Trigger feat lets him immediately fire his gun. "Go for it," I say. Instead of shooting the melodic dragons, he shoots the caster again. Having technically dealt enough damage to end the encounter right there, I instead decides that he cripples his wings and he's now dropping out of the sky. Since we do not know how high up this is happening, nobody can tell if the fall will kill him or not.

A PC decides to speed up the chariot and try to move it underneath the falling caster to catch him. Since we don't know how far that is nor how fast the chariot moves, I figure to have him make an Acrobatics/Piloting check and call it a day. For whatever bizarre reason, one of the PCs with a flying race also decides to jump over and catch him as he's falling, and so manages to do so first. How high above the deck does he catch him? God only knows. I just bodge it as "not far enough to cause much damage", since they were trying to catch him in the first place.

In his turn, the caster tries to break the grapple (what other option is there), falls on the deck, and is immediately surrounded by mace-wielding PCs and pounded into jam. At the same time, the flying PC actually makes one of the melodic dragons crash onto the deck as well, causing a discussion as to whether or not there's a railing on the chariot, how the dragon can land on the deck when the railing is in the way, and whether or not the railing would break. At the same time, I am also left to judge if the weight of the dragon landing on the deck is enough to overpower the lift of the chariot. Because obviously when there's a dragon made of animated song one of your concerns is going to be how much it weighs.

So in what is supposed to be a crunchy game, crunchy enough that I had to spend the bulk of the previous evening setting up the tool for those encounters and working out what to do with the caster, I had to ad-lib 80% of the key decisions and the result was the usual run of various "neat" but unremarkable actions and then the PCs winning without much in terms of problem solving, the kind of thing that gets people saying you're player-centred and they had fun and then going oddly quiet when you mention wanting to run something else.

At the same time it seems the only alternative the market offers to these is games where the adlib is baked in from the start, which is OK if it's inevitable, but that don't even give enough of an adventure or definition to get as far as the chase in the first place.

not having read the AP in question this feels like a pretty clear cut situation where you a) didn't read the rules for the chase subsystem in the GMG b) didn't apply them and then c) are now mad when the game's systems/the AP don't give you any support for doing something that was not planned for at all

nor does it look like you've read the vehicle rules when you started making rulings about the chariot

so in conclusion, classic hyphz in that sense of "making up a problem no one else ever has and insisting it ruins everything when no one else has the problem because they just did the regular thing in the first place"

e: like you're literally arguing the abstraction layer subsystem of "chases" doesn't have the direct combat encounter rules you want it to have when the GMG is very explicit about chases being a different subsystem that runs in encounter mode

Arivia fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 6, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

hyphz posted:

sounds like you did a good job of DMing to me.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Arivia posted:

so in conclusion, classic hyphz in that sense of "making up a problem no one else ever has and insisting it ruins everything when no one else has the problem because they just did the regular thing in the first place"
Where do you get off telling people that things they're talking about are made up and never happen to anyone?

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
A man walks into the doctor's office and says "It hurts when I do this".

The doctor says "Then don't do that "

Then Nurse Arivia says "Hurting yourself is good, actually."

In all seriousness, hyphz, it sounds like you put a lot of effort in, and if it played out as described I can imagine that being incredibly frustrating.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Arivia posted:

not having read the AP in question this feels like a pretty clear cut situation where you a) didn't read the rules for the chase subsystem in the GMG b) didn't apply them and then c) are now mad when the game's systems/the AP don't give you any support for doing something that was not planned for at all

nor does it look like you've read the vehicle rules when you started making rulings about the chariot

e: like you're literally arguing the abstraction layer subsystem of "chases" doesn't have the direct combat encounter rules you want it to have when the GMG is very explicit about chases being a different subsystem that runs in encounter mode
Do the chase rules have any explanation for what happens when a PC says "I shoot at him" or determining when the PCs can do so?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mellonbread posted:

Where do you get off telling people that things they're talking about are made up and never happen to anyone?

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

I generally don’t. It’s a known pattern/issue with hyphz in particular that he repeatedly identifies problems in RPGs that he considers fundamentally ruinous and no one else does. This extended to the points of even having a hyphz quarantine thread in this forum, and then a discord created to run games for him to try and get him to stop worrying and learn how to play games like other people do (if I’m misstating this my apologies feel free to correct me). So it’s really hard to be sympathetic when the person who has this issue again and again has it about something that I do know how it works.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Regardless of Hyphz's play style, Pathfinder APs also have a very well documented pattern of using subsystems incorrectly or adding new subsystems that do not function on even a basic level. See kingdoms made of graveyards and gravel pits in Kingmaker or the whole Caravan system in Jade Regent as the two most famous examples.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Maybe you could take this to the Pathfinder thread and explain how to do this right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

Do the chase rules have any explanation for what happens when a PC says "I shoot at him" or determining when the PCs can do so?

No. The chase subsystem uses a node map of chase locations with abstracted locations/connections between them. There are no explicit directions for shooting at people in other spaces because you're engaging with the challenge in the chase area you're in. If both the chasing parties are in the same node, the chase is generally over and you'd just go to a regular combat encounter where all the shooting actually happens. There's no rules for it because it's not in the scope of the chase subsystem, and Pathfinder 2e is pretty big on scope.