Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

ThomasPaine posted:

e: Do LFTs show stronger lines the higher the viral load or is it just 'present y/n'? I'm hoping it's a former because the line was slightly fainter today, which hopefully means only another day or two or this nonsense.

Yes and the higher the viral load the quicker it will show up. If you’re right in it it can show up a few seconds after the liquid fills the reservoir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

counterpoint suck my dick

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Imagine saying "any demand to make homes better than 'extremely substandard' is bad for renters"

Imagine saying that

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Speaking of cocks, I watched the NFT video and got this short Folding Ideas recommended, which I hadn't seen before and pretty much perfectly sums up what I thought about the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-a9VDIbZCU

I like Folding Ideas a lot, the Flat Earth and NFT videos that have been mentioned in here are genuine masterpieces, but I think he was being somewhat unfair in this one. He really misses the context that Oliver's "War on Nuggets" was started in the context of campaigning against the terrible state of UK school lunch provisions. I'm not saying Jamie's not deserving of a great deal of criticism, but the low funding and terrible nutritional value of school food was awful and he was right to campaign against it.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Yeah I noticed the first couple of tests I did last weekend were like that. The test says to wait 15 mins but I had a thick red line after a matter of seconds. I guess I must have been positive for a good few days before I felt noticeable symptoms. Now it takes a minute or so to appear and is a bit thinner, so hopefully moving in the right direction.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

keep punching joe posted:

Boris is like the main character in a Woody Allen film, physically and emotionally repulsive yet somehow still attractive to younger women despite the fact that his whole vibe is 'weird nonce'.

been said before but he seems to actually prefer having sex with consenting adult live human women, which probably puts him in the highest percentile as poshos go

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

lol

https://twitter.com/MartinSLewis/status/1489584984235065344

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Makes sense that a place called :decorum: would be a Lib Dem stronghold.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Would you like to see a :qq: about landlords in the Telegraph

Fantastic. Aside from the usual "how dare you force me to provide homes that are of an acceptable standard" whining, the 25-year property bubble has really done a number on some BTL folks' minds - they seem to have forgotten that these properties are supposed to be investments, which are meant to require input and a certain amount of stewardship, and perhaps ongoing expense which is only covered in the future when the return is realised. It may even have a certain element of risk!

It's not supposed to be a sort of perpetual loot crate that just pays out each month in perpetuity for gently caress all effort. After all, nothing's free in this world, is it? Gotta work for what you get...

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Bashing the torygraph is pointless here of course, but a couple of bits that really should have been challenged if this was an actual article and not just a political lobbying piece.

However, he described the Decent Homes Standard – which measures to what extent a home meets a “reasonable state of repair” – as arbitrary and subjective. "I would be very concerned if the social housing measures are applied to private rentals. It would be counterintuitive." :qq:

Just going complete unchallenged. Why is this counterintuitive?

they will sell up, increase the shortage of homes, and rents will rise,

citation loving needed. How does selling increase the shortage of homes? Unless they're selling to people who were renting of course, which takes it off the market - but doesn't that mean they're homeowners now, which the telegraph likes?

Shockingly poor, but unsurprising, all round.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Can we start calling it the Electrical Pole Tax?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Would you like to see a :qq: about landlords in the Telegraph

Landlords hit with £15,000 bills in 'levelling up' plans
Michael Gove threatens to strike off rogue landlords

Are not UK homes notoriously badly built compared to most of Northern Europe? I remember hearing a lot of horror stories from friends living in London.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Red Oktober posted:

citation loving needed. How does selling increase the shortage of homes? Unless they're selling to people who were renting of course, which takes it off the market - but doesn't that mean they're homeowners now, which the telegraph likes?

The answer of course is a drastic reduction in house prices as they are otherwise unable to shift them, but of course that part is unspoken because they cannot conceive that they might lose out for once instead of just making money forever.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
UK has some of the oldest housing stock in Europe.

source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/292252/age-of-housing-dwellings-in-england-uk-by-tenuree/

With a few notable exceptions (London, Coventry etc) we escaped a lot of the war damage from various conflicts that much of Europe suffered in the past 150 years or so.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
All the twitters congratulating Anna Firth for winning 86% of the vote in Southend West (David Amess seat - uncontested by Labour or Libdems because of :decorum: )

Results:

In Thursday’s poll, the Psychedelic Movement’s Jason Pilley came a distant second in the contest with 512 votes, giving the Conservative’s a majority of 12,280. There were 1,084 rejected ballot papers.

The results for each candidate were as follows:

- Anna Firth (Conservative party) 12,792 (86.10%)

- Jason Pilley (Psychedelic Movement) 512 (3.45%)

- Steve Laws (Ukip) 400 (2.69%)

- Catherine Blaiklock (English Democrats) 320 (2.15%)

- Jayda Fransen (Independent) 299 (2.01%)

- Ben Downton (Heritage party) 236 (1.59%)

- Christopher Anderson (Freedom Alliance) 161 (1.08%)

- Graham Moore (English Constitution party) 86 (0.58%)

- Olga Childs (No description) 52 (0.35%)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Red Oktober posted:

The Telegraph indeed loves homeowners, and the more homes you own the more it loves you. Selling homes to people who intend to live in them increases the shortage of homes that can be rented out. The fewer homes that landlords have to rent out, the more they must charge in rent to maintain their standard of living. That's what they mean: that selling homes is bad for the landlord class because it reduces their asset wealth and stranglehold over the market.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

don't forget to not ask for a payrise to cover your £240 hike in future bills.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

lilljonas posted:

Are not UK homes notoriously badly built compared to most of Northern Europe? I remember hearing a lot of horror stories from friends living in London.

Yeah, same with Ireland.
I work with a lot of people from the rest of europe, and they laugh at how basic houses are here.
Like how heated floors are rare here, but common in places where it is needed.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

UK has some of the oldest housing stock in Europe.

source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/292252/age-of-housing-dwellings-in-england-uk-by-tenuree/

With a few notable exceptions (London, Coventry etc) we escaped a lot of the war damage from various conflicts that much of Europe suffered in the past 150 years or so.

Older buildings doesn't necessarily mean worse though. The nicest flat I ever lived in was built in the 1890s and it was far better than my parents' 1980s semi detached.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

ThomasPaine posted:

Older buildings doesn't necessarily mean worse though.

No you're thinking posters.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The older something like a house or furniture is, the more likely it is to tend towards being good, because the worst stuff would have fallen apart by now.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I live in a Victorian terrace and it owns: high ceilings, storage space, tons of natural light and after 120 years, you can be pretty sure it's not going to fall down suddenly.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Why are energy prices going up?

Loads of energy companies went bust last year, was this because they were capped on how much they were allowed to charge and had to pay way more wholesale? I wasn't paying much attention

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Comrade Fakename posted:

I like Folding Ideas a lot, the Flat Earth and NFT videos that have been mentioned in here are genuine masterpieces, but I think he was being somewhat unfair in this one. He really misses the context that Oliver's "War on Nuggets" was started in the context of campaigning against the terrible state of UK school lunch provisions. I'm not saying Jamie's not deserving of a great deal of criticism, but the low funding and terrible nutritional value of school food was awful and he was right to campaign against it.
It may have started in that context, but by the time that he was going on about 'clean' and 'dirty' foods, admonishing working parents for sitting in front of the TV while their dinner cooked instead of actively preparing an authentic Andalusian mierda de culo, or pretending to be appalled that kids like chicken nuggets, he was arguing something entirely different whether he realized it or not. It was a middle class appeal to nature fallacy rather than an argument for good nutritional values by that point.

Thus Spake :wankah:

That in turn led to a lot of circular arguments about "Jamie is unfair about nuggets" "so you support intensive poultry farming?" "no but Jamie doesn't oppose that either, he just wants more of it to be thrown away" that I think the video does a good job of addressing.

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, I live in a Victorian terrace and it owns: high ceilings, storage space, tons of natural light and after 120 years, you can be pretty sure it's not going to fall down suddenly.
:same:

Also an outhouse but the door on it is hosed.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

jiggerypokery posted:

Loads of energy companies went bust last year, was this because they were capped on how much they were allowed to charge and had to pay way more wholesale? I wasn't paying much attention

Yes. Or had locked in fixed price contracts not realising how prices were going to shoot up so they were losing money on them. Fixed price contracts go both ways, if fuel gets cheaper you're paying over the odds, if it shoots up and you're already in a contract then the energy companies lose money.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Dabir posted:

The older something like a house or furniture is, the more likely it is to tend towards being good, because the worst stuff would have fallen apart by now.

The Victorian stuff is murder on the electric bill though. Can't insulate the solid walls for poo poo, and your paying for all the heat that's wafting up into the high ceilings.

Built like a castle though. Your place won't be falling down any time soon.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's also true, whenever there's frost on the ground I can see where all my heat is going, and the heaters are placed in the stupidest spots possible (can't blame the Victorians for the central heating though).

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Bug Squash posted:

The Victorian stuff is murder on the electric bill though. Can't insulate the solid walls for poo poo, and your paying for all the heat that's wafting up into the high ceilings.

Built like a castle though. Your place won't be falling down any time soon.

I found the stone walls in mine retained heat pretty well. It was an ordeal to get it comfortable from cold but once you had it there you only needed a few hours blast of the boiler every day to maintain it, even when it was cold out. It worked the other way round in summer too, it could be unbearably hot outside but the cool stone kept it nice indoors.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Disappointed that the twitter storm over Sonia Sodha's ham hasn't spawned the hashtag #jamongate

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

feedmegin posted:

Yes. Or had locked in fixed price contracts not realising how prices were going to shoot up so they were losing money on them. Fixed price contracts go both ways, if fuel gets cheaper you're paying over the odds, if it shoots up and you're already in a contract then the energy companies lose money.

With the energy industry, just imagine the dumbest poo poo you can possibly conceive of, then relax in the knowledge that the reality is even dumber than that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jiggerypokery posted:

Why are energy prices going up?

Energy prices are in part going up because loads of energy companies went bust last year. 10% of the increase is due to bailing out.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

I found the stone walls in mine retained heat pretty well. It was an ordeal to get it comfortable from cold but once you had it there you only needed a few hours blast of the boiler every day to maintain it, even when it was cold out. It worked the other way round in summer too, it could be unbearably hot outside but the cool stone kept it nice indoors.

Actual stone walls are really good insulators (but the thermal mass is huge as you say). Almost all Victorian housing is brick though, and brick - especially just normal two-course brickwork as used in almost all of them - is an absolutely terrible insulator. Non Hoffman-kiln bricks (i.e. most bricks used in the mid-Victorian building boom around most British cities) also tend to be quite porous so when you fix the terrible insulation in the windows and roof they become an absolute nightmare for damp. The leakiness was a feature, not a bug, when you were heating with coal (or peat) though, because you needed somewhere for air to get in to feed the fires, and it also meant that the damp tended not to build up quite as badly because of the constant exchange of air.

Incidentally this is the main reason that pebble-dashing and other surface dressings were so popular in the 60s and 70s - as people moved to central heating in the wake of the Clean Air Act in London (and other regions followed suit when the price of gas plummeted as we moved to North Sea gas from Town Gas) they were a relatively cheap and simple way of addressing the problems caused by removing the fireplaces and the airflow they promoted.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Interesting. I guess that's where I benefited from living in western Scotland, where sandstone rather than brick tended to be the building material of choice even for working class tenenents.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm debating just cladding over the worst brick bits for heat loss (long kitchen is long) with sandstone or yorkstone, but I'm not sure how much that would do.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

You would need to get external wall insulation if you wanted to make a difference on the heating bill. That needs to be done on a whole building and is very expensive, but given the way prices are going it might actually become worthwhile.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah it's great.

I've only recently got turned on to Folding Ideas, I really enjoy his videos.

He does hit with remarkable accuracy, also if anyone ever burns me as hard as he burned doug walker in his review of the wall I think I would just die on the spot.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Jedit posted:

Energy prices are in part going up because loads of energy companies went bust last year. 10% of the increase is due to bailing out.

Can we just... not?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

jiggerypokery posted:

Can we just... not?

But won't you think of the shareholder value?

In depressing news, when I came back home from an afternoon walk I noticed some stickers in the bus shelter about 5 seconds walk from my front gate so had a nosey because there's someone in the village (of about 1,000 people) who is deep into conspiracy shite, so you used to get flat earth nonsense on lamp posts, & past couple of years there's been some anti-vax bollocks that I've taken down (carefully, because even here I'm cautious about cunts hiding razor blades under them). But no, these were different. "Gender critical" TERF shite. loving grim stuff, somehow you just don't expect it. I'm assuming it's the same conspiracy loon because there can't be that many people who'd bother putting up stickers but god. Entire village has dropped in my estimation.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 4, 2022

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Labour MP pretends he doesn't know what a leg of ham is to own the hard left.

https://twitter.com/tobyperkinsmp/status/1489627643234426883

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Red Oktober posted:

Bashing the torygraph is pointless here of course, but a couple of bits that really should have been challenged if this was an actual article and not just a political lobbying piece.

Just going complete unchallenged. Why is this counterintuitive?

Shockingly poor, but unsurprising, all round.

I have a friend who moved and decided to rent out his flat instead of selling. I saw him the other day and he was saying how all the bad things they predicted happening to the BTL sector were indeed happening (can’t write off mortgage interest payments maybe), and that was leading to fewer properties being available. I asked him how, if the amount of housing stock was unchanged. He wasn’t sure, just that there was less available to rent. (I intend to never be a landlord, even a small-scale one. Who wants to be a ducking landlord?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Labour MP pretends he doesn't know what a leg of ham is to own the hard left.

https://twitter.com/tobyperkinsmp/status/1489627643234426883

If ever I am unsure about someone seeing that my sister follows them marks them as a complete and utter wanker. Sonia has just joined that list.