Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I measure everything in mm/cm/m except my height and waist which I only know in feet and inches.

Edit: terrible new page start....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

gschmidl posted:

:lol: at babby's first hill Mt. Everest, people are climbing REAL mountains here.

They went to the bottom and then just floated up? They need to actually climb the under water part.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Aye, people look at our mountains and think "yeah they're wee baby hills, they're a walk in the park" and they're right, right up until a storm rolls in straight off the Atlantic Ocean and literally blows them off the hill because they didn't bother to prepare for actual hillwalking.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

They went to the bottom and then just floated up? They need to actually climb the under water part.

Without supplemental oxygen.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
finally watched 14 peaks and it was way more intense than I was expecting.

Kanchenjunga: Oh so i partied last night and am hungover, but we're going to go up this mountain in a day. oh on the way down we found a climber who was dying so i gave him all my oxygen. he died in my arms so i walked back down. then i suffered from HACE. Came across another guy also suffering from HACE, so i rescued him.

what is this guy's life

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

yaffle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a0X9rdJ7hc

I guess it helps if you have a lunatic made of 90% sinew and lungs to film..

Speaking of climbing lunatics, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tnRoda7Ke2w

This is legit more terrifying and impressive than Clinbing the everest like a rich rear end in a top hat

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Speaking of climbing lunatics, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tnRoda7Ke2w

This is legit more terrifying and impressive than Clinbing the everest like a rich rear end in a top hat

Yeah, noooope nope nope. Had to turn it off. Oof.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

And Alex Honnold, the guy climbing in that vid, was like “yeah Marc-Andre LeClerc is too out there even for me” in The Alpinist

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
this month's National Geographic has an article on the Sherpa K2 climb

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Oracle posted:

Yeah, noooope nope nope. Had to turn it off. Oof.

His overall body strength and stamina have to be off the charts. What a freak.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
There's a bunch of climbing movies on BBC America today. I watched Vertical Limit, then Cliffhanger was on but I slept through that, then Everest just started.

Not sure why.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Goon-adjacent podcast Well There's Your Problem did an episode on people dying in caves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUJKRVu6IVA

Cave disasters discussion starts around 35:00

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

Goon-adjacent podcast Well There's Your Problem did an episode on people dying in caves

There is literally no horror movie scenario I've seen that is more disturbing and upsetting to me than the Nutty Putty accident. When you put all of it together, what the victim went through, his family... Jesus loving Christ.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

Caves and especially cave diving can gently caress right off.

Who's the goon btw? All of them sound pretty goony.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mobby_6kl posted:

Who's the goon btw? All of them sound pretty goony.

Justin, a.k.a. Donoteat.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

There is literally no horror movie scenario I've seen that is more disturbing and upsetting to me than the Nutty Putty accident. When you put all of it together, what the victim went through, his family... Jesus loving Christ.

That diagram of trying to pull him out is such a loving nightmare

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Justin, a.k.a. Donoteat.

IIRC, Alice used to post here as well but I don’t know how long ago that was.

Also Liam shilled for one of the SA offsites on one episode, that was pretty hilarious.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I had not heard of that pod, so I followed it. It sounds a little like one of my favorites - The Alarmist. That one is a little more fluff, but they explore disasters and it's funny.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did the other two people ever stop talking over DoNotEat when he's trying to talk about the topic? I had to stop watching their videos because they kept interrupting with dumb poo poo and killing the flow of the story.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

They absolutely do not (eat)

WTYP is a mess of a podcast quite frankly.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
That's kinda the point of the podcast, the other two are specifically there to interrupt donoteat constantly

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Oof that poo poo drives me crazy.

I had to stop listening to Chapo because Amber will just plow through someone trying to talk and not stop for 2 minutes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Oof that poo poo drives me crazy.

I had to stop listening to Chapo because Amber will just plow through someone trying to talk and not stop for 2 minutes.

Good news then because Amber ain't been on the pod in a million years. She's off writing a book or something

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Amber does her own interviews sometimes and does a good job imo

Alice is mostly not funny, like 90% of the time. The other guy is totally forgettable. I guess you need some other people on the podcast to make it a discussion but mostly I just want to hear the story

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

a primate posted:

I just want to hear the story

yeah. i just listen to narrative podcasts for this reason. well i mostly stopped cause i fall asleep to them and i got sick of being woken up by loud-rear end commercials. librivox is rad though

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's why I really liked DoNotEat's youtube videos. It was just him telling a story while making things in cities skylines. Then I got too busy to watch them.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Did the other two people ever stop talking over DoNotEat when he's trying to talk about the topic? I had to stop watching their videos because they kept interrupting with dumb poo poo and killing the flow of the story.

Yeah, I tried to listen and did not get far. There is way too much meaningless conversation and interrupting.

Oh well!

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Yeah I don't know how they expect goons to sit through needless diatribe after derail from the main subject

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Yeah I don't know how they expect goons to sit through needless diatribe after derail from the main subject

:hmmyes: no sense of irony at all lol. WTYP is "good interrupting" for me though, it works with these specific people. Speaking of caving here's a horrible story from down my way about the "Everest of cave diving" gone wrong. Coincidentally this is exactly the kind of scenario they were talking about in the podcast episode.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The River Runner is new on Netflix. Summary: "A kayaker sets out to become the first man to paddle the four great rivers that flow from Tibet's sacred Mount Kailash."

I was stoked thinking it would be about like Free Solo in terms of cool footage and the actual process vs. biography. It was definitely almost all biography with like 10 minutes of the final river trip. It's great he grew as a person, and it's still worth watching, but I would really love to see a kayaking version of an Everest trip, The Alpinist, etc. Tbh it doesn't have to be dangerous for me, I just want to hear about the process and see beautiful scenery and cool poo poo.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 20, 2022

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

There was just a world record of the highest altitude tea party on Everest but it wasn't even at the summit so :xbone:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

The River Runner is new on Netflix. Summary: "A kayaker sets out to become the first man to paddle the four great rivers that flow from Tibet's sacred Mount Kailash."

I was stoked thinking it would be about like Free Solo in terms of cool footage and the actual process vs. biography. It was definitely almost all biography with like 10 minutes of the final river trip. It's great he grew as a person, and it's still worth watching, but I would really love to see a kayaking version of an Everest trip, The Alpinist, etc. Tbh it doesn't have to be dangerous for me, I just want to hear about the process and see beautiful scenery and cool poo poo.

I hate when they do that! it's like when you're trying to watch a sport and it's 90% interviews/personal stories and a tiny bit of racing thrown in. My other pet peeve is when it's just 'cool' shots set to music.

There's a canoe movie called the Yukon Assignment on amazon which is good. there's a dumb moment when they decide to climb a mountain and it's all loose scree lol

also recommend the BBC series roaming in the wild. it's just two mates going on adventures.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

gschmidl posted:

There was just a world record of the highest altitude tea party on Everest but it wasn't even at the summit so :xbone:

Just reminded me I need to host a high tea this summer with all the edibles I've been making.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Anyone check out "Infinite Storm" yet? Based on a true story and probably dramatized a hell of a lot but whatev

https://digitalcommons.dartmouth.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1155&context=appalachia

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
After a decade of reading these threads I am finally caught up and I just want to say: lmfao, for many reasons.

Some of y'all should go outside more though. Every summit I've got, the drive there was more dangerous than the climb, and I didn't even have to pay anyone to haul me up.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Thank you for you contribution

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ante posted:

Thank you for you contribution

Too early, post that again when my frozen corpse turns up on Everest

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

After a decade of reading these threads I am finally caught up and I just want to say: lmfao, for many reasons.

Some of y'all should go outside more though. Every summit I've got, the drive there was more dangerous than the climb, and I didn't even have to pay anyone to haul me up.

Congrats on besting the mighty crags of Mt Britton.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Saw The Alpinist too.

It was a really good film, I liked it. Marc-Andre truly was in a class of his own. I did get the feeling that he was being super reckless and it was only a matter of time before his luck ran out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It just sucks because his luck ran out in a super dumb way when he wasn’t being particularly dangerous. Hell the worst fall for Alex Honnold was a routine climb with his partner that almost killed him.