Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Make the website Yourmommasofat.com and it shows where she caused earthquakes around the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sickening posted:

Just to clarify, I have taken teams off my phone because for some reason having it installed and signed in totally fucks over my status on other devices.

Yall be wilding.

I totally endorse loving around on company time, especially at home. The man can get hosed.

Teams bad

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

George H.W. oval office posted:

Make the website Yourmommasofat.com and it shows where she caused earthquakes around the world.

I love this idea and might try playing with it

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

So, just redirect to Google Earth?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

I hope you just came up with that because it's brilliant.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My ideas for dumb videos and websites far exceeds my ability to realize them.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Hughmoris posted:

Can you give an example of an AWS data workflow that you've used with one of these sets? I find it much easier to identify a work problem but I suck at coming up with something on my own. Even more so with trying to practice data engineering, where there seems to be an infinite amount of services to use together.

One of the things I've been toying with for my next "thing" is to create a machine learning training set from the geyser data and see how good it is at predicting eruptions at yellowstone. It turns out that only a few geysers are predictable due to crazily complex interactions between the thermal source, subterranean architecture, and the amount of vents that access a given reservoir. Old Faithful being a notable exception.

So, for kicks, I'd like to see if AWS AI/ML can point to a data set that that I put together from every recorded eruption since Tuesday, June 17, 1930 7:00:00 AM. Then, like every other geological researcher ever, be disappointed at how bad predictions are.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Agrikk posted:

One of the things I've been toying with for my next "thing" is to create a machine learning training set from the geyser data and see how good it is at predicting eruptions at yellowstone. It turns out that only a few geysers are predictable due to crazily complex interactions between the thermal source, subterranean architecture, and the amount of vents that access a given reservoir. Old Faithful being a notable exception.

So, for kicks, I'd like to see if AWS AI/ML can point to a data set that that I put together from every recorded eruption since Tuesday, June 17, 1930 7:00:00 AM. Then, like every other geological researcher ever, be disappointed at how bad predictions are.

Your MOM is disappointed in her predictions of my eruptions! boom gottem--wait, uh...

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
So I'm 2 months in to my new role and there is some good and bad I guess.

I've gone from a secure office to WFH - I thought it would be awesome to actually be allowed my cell phone on my person and just work when I want but I feel guilty any time I leave the PC. I know someone on my team goes to the gym every day at lunch and people don't seem to care but I just can't bring myself to do it.

I've told myself I'm new to WFH and everyone else is 18 months in, maybe I'll get used to it.

Another thing I'm going to discuss today is my workload. I think because I'm new I have been assigned a load of work to "clear the decks" of non-important stuff that's just been on the back burner - probably to see how I do.

I've smashed it and now I'm in a position where I am chilling and not really working non-stop because everything is in hand.

On our team I have the joint most work assigned to me but I imagine the tickets are not the most substantial, I guess you could say I have the most bandwidth but that doesn't tell you my latency...

I want to ask my boss about this but 2 things have happened since I started, he was sick for a while and a new CIO took up all his time.

I've got a chat with him later today so I'm going to mention all this.

I think fundamentally I feel like I've gone from 110mph all the time in my old job and now I'm just cruising at 40 and I miss the pace a bit

If my boss says yep I was just breaking you in gentley, now it's time to step up I think I'm gucci but I just wanted to write that out before I speak to him later

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Don't feel guilty at taking your full lunch break away from work

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
And even more if you can get away with it. Time theft from your employer is cool and good as long as the work gets done. Were you really truly working non-stop when you were in an office? I suspect the answer is no.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also people will spend hours doing things in an rear end-backwards fashion and get less done than you. The only metric that matters is whether the job gets done or not.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

devmd01 posted:

And even more if you can get away with it. Time theft from your employer is cool and good as long as the work gets done. Were you really truly working non-stop when you were in an office? I suspect the answer is no.

No of course not but it feels like a drop in pace. It might be exacerbated by things like having no commute and I'm using all that time to get things like housework done so I am just like really confused at my much better work life balance. It's messing with my head in a strange way

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I myself do about 10 minutes of actual work… a month but unfortunately since I also have to deal with a secure environment I’m still sitting in an office for 40 hours a week. I understand how odd it can be feeling unproductive especially coming from a job where I was constantly putting in 5-10 hours of overtime a week to try and stay caught up. Instead of telling your boss that you are underutilized you should instead work it as determining a specialty for you to be focusing your career path on.

Also don’t feel bad about using that time to do other things. If it helps, include stuff that you could argue are beneficial to your career, such as studying or labbing. Or improves your mental and physical health like going to the gym, which improves your productivity.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Yup. When we were in the office I usually took a good hour and a half lunch to go for a trail run at the park nearby. Nobody gave a poo poo.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Subject: URGENT: Secure File to Customer

Need help - understand there is a method through SHAREPOINT to set up a file that a specific customer can come retrieve. Cannot figure it out. Please help ASAP. Customer expects documents today.

This is where I explain to this guy that it's not possible and never has been (we are on GCC High)

He'll yell and scream and who knows what else. Thank god this guy is retiring soon. He is really one of the only assholes here.

Boss further emails him to confuse him more:

Not through Sharepoint. We are using Verifyle, which is our document sharing cloud platform.

Aaand another:

One other option. I know Eric has also used OneDrive to share documents outside the company, but Verifyle is the easiest to use.

Stooop!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Agrikk, thanks a bunch for posting your API examples last page. As someone with a gap in my career regarding homemade projects that I can show in GitHub / talk about in interviews compared to other candidates (I am assuming), this will be awesome for digging in when I can find the motivation.

I'll be looking at a few of those this weekend for sure... seems like great fodder for "babby's first simple load balanced web app running on public cloud" example which we've talked about a lot in this thread, which is great to have for interviews and just messing around. Something that's not as embarrassing as 'hello world' that actually has utility for learning and showing a reasonable portfolio.

I need to check around more in the pure programming threads but I am still intimidated lol. Need to find a comfortable starting point for getting more into Python / Java etc. and getting a real app hosted on cloud too.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 4, 2022

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I share(d) your intimidation… but eventually you start getting used to it. I’m slowly getting to the point where calling myself a programmer doesn’t feel like a complete lie.

It’s absolutely intimidating and a lot of the stuff is just Greek to me, especially when we start talking in depth about data structures and graphs and edges. I’m still very intimidated by leetcode and algorithms, and that exploration will wait for many moons yet.

At the end of the day you just have to believe you are capable of doing anything you set your mind to in this life. Once you have that, the rest will fall into place.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I just had my call with my boss and I didn't blurt out with can I have more work please

Our planned hour got cut short as he is super busy as per above

But generally my boss was like "everything sounds like it's under control great work"

But I still feel like I dunno, it should be harder? Not sure how to express this sensation properly

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's tough when you're awesome.

Kidding aside, don't sweat it. If your boss is happy, you're good to go.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

In my experience, it can take a little while to get busy at a new role. As you start getting brought up to speed with projects and being the last one to touch things, you tend to get busier. Enjoy some downtime while it lasts, do some fun projects that would otherwise never get done, and worst case start doing documentation and/or training.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We have a form for our DR planner people for all our phone circuits etc.

I had to fill out our fiber circuit ID and information for the provider, and then the same for the backup fiber
SIP information
Then I listed all the pots line and contacts for the people we get those from (elevators etc)

My boss told me I forgot some stuff on the form.

He added our 'conferencecall.com' accounts, with our call in #'s and passwords

:smith:

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

angry armadillo posted:

I just had my call with my boss and I didn't blurt out with can I have more work please

But generally my boss was like "everything sounds like it's under control great work"

But I still feel like I dunno, it should be harder? Not sure how to express this sensation properly

I went through this at my current role. I went from massively overworked to what’s apparently a “normal” work load here. I was so used to being constantly buried that it took me ~6 months to get used to not having a 3 month tfs backlog. You’ll likely get busier as you onboard more projects, but having downtime is a good thing.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you're salary, you're under no obligation to actually give your employer x hours for your pay in the same way they're under no obligation to give you x pay per hour. This is obviously different if you bill for your time, but most people who bill don't bill 40 hours / week. My girlfriend has started baking cookies while waiting for SQL queries to run :3:

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020

Cyks posted:

May I suggest taking a look at EMR analyst positions? I know quite a few healthcare front office staff and nurses who moved over to IT/IS as an Epic Analyst at my last employer despite not having a technical background, receiving quite a nice boost in pay and they all WFH now (started before Covid). It's more of a support and data management position than technical but it'll get you around working with other IT departments and they loved bringing on people who had hands on experience using EMRs. I'd go that route over your typical help desk, if possible.
This is helpful! I will definitely take a look. I'm still banking on my A+ certification exam to get me through the doors, but I'm tempted to top off my resume and try sending in some applications. Is there a word for getting imposter syndrome when you are an actual imposter? But surely hiring managers have some leeway when it comes to candidates who do not check every single box on the list.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

angry armadillo posted:

No... you're experiencing normal after years of not normal. It'll take some time to adjust.

Here's how I came to term with not being busy a full 40 hours a week. I get paid for my experience, and to accomplish what management tells us to, and to be available if poo poo hits the fan. I do not get paid to make widgets for 40 hours a week. I haven't "worked" 40 hours a week in over a decade. Some weeks it's 3 hours of work, some weeks it's 30. My bosses are happy, everything is good, and that's the way it should be.

We get paid for results, not time spent doing a task.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

skipdogg posted:

No... you're experiencing normal after years of not normal. It'll take some time to adjust.

Here's how I came to term with not being busy a full 40 hours a week. I get paid for my experience, and to accomplish what management tells us to, and to be available if poo poo hits the fan. I do not get paid to make widgets for 40 hours a week. I haven't "worked" 40 hours a week in over a decade. Some weeks it's 3 hours of work, some weeks it's 30. My bosses are happy, everything is good, and that's the way it should be.

It’s hard to put into words, but I feel uber privileged for (sometimes) having my work fit in the environment you described. Almost too privileged. I wish everyone could have that type of positive work environment. It’s what I would aspire to provide for people reporting to me if I get into real leadership.

Though, outwardly, I feel I have to put on more of a “willing to put in all the time in the world” type of attitude since most bosses in IT don’t share that view of how people should be working.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

skipdogg posted:

I want to frame this.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Trickortreat posted:

This is helpful! I will definitely take a look. I'm still banking on my A+ certification exam to get me through the doors, but I'm tempted to top off my resume and try sending in some applications. Is there a word for getting imposter syndrome when you are an actual imposter? But surely hiring managers have some leeway when it comes to candidates who do not check every single box on the list.

In my experience hiring managers have to justify hiring somebody just as much as convincing them to hire you, so if it feels like a job posting was written by somebody trying to cram in as many buzzwords and topics to meet the minimum word count on a school assignment to pass, it probably was (except the grader is HR).

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Trickortreat posted:

They absolutely do, at least from what I've seen for the few managers I've worked for in desktop support. I got in without any certs because my boss liked my soft skills and my customer service background. Showing eagerness to learn can go far too, especially while you're still trying to find your place in IT.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006

Cyks posted:

In my experience hiring managers have to justify hiring somebody just as much as convincing them to hire you, so if it feels like a job posting was written by somebody trying to cram in as many buzzwords and topics to meet the minimum word count on a school assignment to pass, it probably was (except the grader is HR).

I just finished writing a job description. This is 100% what it felt like.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
A job description is a wishlist, not a checklist. As long as you can connect enough of the dots between their posting and your résumé, send it in.

The other end of Imposter Syndrome is the Dunning–Kruger effect. You hit the valley of realizing everything you don't know (or, as Rumsfeld put it, "known unknowns"), and that poo poo messes with you.

Just realizing that you don't know everything gives you a great start to learning what you need to know.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

skipdogg posted:

A contracted nuclear engineer is paged in for a situation where a reactor is having a power event. He walks into the control room with red lights flashing, buzzers sounding and people rushing about in near-panic.

He walks over to a console and pushes a button. Immediately the reactor stabilizes and the alarms shut off.

“That’ll be $500,” he says.

“What?!” says the Director. “You just pushed a button!”

“That’s $5 for pushing the button and $495 for knowing which button to push.”

You are getting paid for knowing the buttons to push and efficiently pushing them. If you boss and their boss is happy with your work and you work thirty seconds a year, then you are worth every penny.

And you should probably pick up a second and third jobs and retire that much sooner.

FYI - I’m posting this from an outdoor restaurant while I treat myself to brunch after hitting the gym for an hour (leg day) followed by an hour of bass practice. I have a 30 minute meeting at 1:30 today and then I’ll be done for the week.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 4, 2022

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

skipdogg posted:

Some weeks it's 3 hours of work, some weeks it's 30. My bosses are happy, everything is good, and that's the way it should be.

:amen: gently caress yeah - I wish I had learned that in my 20s

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

personally, i get paid for the time spent doing the task.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

angry armadillo posted:

I mean, if you're that worked up about it, just pull a Sickening and get another job.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm in a weird position right now where I'm generally happy with my life, I'm underpaid but in a way that I can still live comfortably, and I'm having a hard time focusing on finding another job, but I also found myself making the universal "jerk-off" motion on a web town hall while the CEO was talking about all this great stuff that we're definitely putting money into rather than just giving lip service to this time. I need to set a certain block of time daily for me to job hunt.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm in a weird position right now where I'm generally happy with my life, I'm underpaid but in a way that I can still live comfortably, and I'm having a hard time focusing on finding another job, but I also found myself making the universal "jerk-off" motion on a web town hall while the CEO was talking about all this great stuff that we're definitely putting money into rather than just giving lip service to this time. I need to set a certain block of time daily for me to job hunt.

something that seems to have helped recently is i took a few weeks off and wasn't in a self hating state and redid my resume with everything i remotely interact with. Then just copy pasted that onto linkedin. I now get offers for senior admin roles, and one to lead IT/be sole IT for a newer company. These higher tier job offers also don't completely try and scam me like some of the jr roles i kept applying to. So throw your resume well above your pay grade after you redo it you will get alot more respect from the other side.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

wargames posted:

something that seems to have helped recently is i took a few weeks off and wasn't in a self hating state and redid my resume with everything i remotely interact with. Then just copy pasted that onto linkedin. I now get offers for senior admin roles, and one to lead IT/be sole IT for a newer company. These higher tier job offers also don't completely try and scam me like some of the jr roles i kept applying to. So throw your resume well above your pay grade after you redo it you will get alot more respect from the other side.

Thats awesome news! Glad your luck turned around :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Agrikk posted:

A contracted nuclear engineer is paged in for a situation where a reactor is having a power event. He walks into the control room with red lights flashing, buzzers sounding and people rushing about in near-panic.

He walks over to a console and pushes a button. Immediately the reactor stabilizes and the alarms shut off.

“That’ll be $500,” he says.

“What?!” says the Director. “You just pushed a button!”

“That’s $5 for pushing the button and $495 for knowing which button to push.”

You are getting paid for knowing the buttons to push and efficiently pushing them. If you boss and their boss is happy with your work and you work thirty seconds a year, then you are worth every penny.

And you should probably pick up a second and third jobs and retire that much sooner.

FYI - I’m posting this from an outdoor restaurant while I treat myself to brunch after hitting the gym for an hour (leg day) followed by an hour of bass practice. I have a 30 minute meeting at 1:30 today and then I’ll be done for the week.

The $500 is for the stressful day you get when you're not brunching and you don't get paid extra for. I'm having one of those days.