Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jamon hams, so fancy they sell them in asda every crimbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Red Oktober posted:

Bashing the torygraph is pointless here of course, but a couple of bits that really should have been challenged if this was an actual article and not just a political lobbying piece.

Just going complete unchallenged. Why is this counterintuitive?

citation loving needed. How does selling increase the shortage of homes? Unless they're selling to people who were renting of course, which takes it off the market - but doesn't that mean they're homeowners now, which the telegraph likes?

Shockingly poor, but unsurprising, all round.

Off topic but I've been masochistically reading the Joe Rogan/Neil Young articles on Ars Technica, and the gist of the Rogan-supporting comments is that good journalism is going "that's so interesting", "oh wow", "ok cool" etc, while your guest expounds on their pet theories. Which is apparently Rogan's whole shtick. I'm not surprised that the Telegraph reporting on landlords is in that vein.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/pattymo/status/1333138068010921986

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

forkboy84 posted:

But won't you think of the shareholder value?

They will be fine. After all "Stock Trading Thread: There's lots of support at 0"

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

What's the most cost efficient way to stay warm? If i boil a kettle to make a cuppa or something does that use more energy than turning the heating on?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

mrpwase posted:

What's the most cost efficient way to stay warm? If i boil a kettle to make a cuppa or something does that use more energy than turning the heating on?

wear a bunch of layers
a hot bevvy and one of those IR heaters (they mostly heat you specifically) if you're using electric are probably tied
followed by heating just the area you're in
followed by heating the whole house / flat

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Bobstar posted:

good journalism is going "that's so interesting", "oh wow", "ok cool" etc, while your guest expounds on their pet theories
Joe Rogan's How to Make Friends and Influence People

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

mrpwase posted:

Technically it uses mildly more but the direct heat transfer makes it much more efficient way of getting warm.

It also will heat up your apartment a bit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah you want to minimise the amount of heat lost to the environment, which means heating yourself first (layers) your immediate environment (room partitioning) and as a last resort, the entire residence.

If you are home of an evening I think it is relaxing and effective to just have a giant pile of blankets and just bury yourself in them. I drag my bedsheets around with me and then back to bed and then pile them all on top, keeps them warm and me warm.

If you have a big dressing gown those are good too, loose and comfortable but generally good at keeping your core warm. And a pair of fluffy booties are good for your feet too.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 4, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

If you have a powerful enough gaming computer mining crypto can unironically be a decent way of keeping warm, especially if you sit next to it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As if I would waste precious cpu cycles on mining crypto when I could be mining craft instead.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
One of the potential problems though if you don't heat all your place is the growth of black mould.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Looks like Jimmy Carr might finally get the cancelling that he's so pathetically desperate for if this continues:

https://twitter.com/zarahsultana/status/1489651611509170179?t=D4OOX2JbLPCQaXz_zbJDxg&s=19

Fwiw the special was out months ago so it's weird it's only just been noticed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Given that all he does is spout stupid poo poo I would expect it's just unremarkable for him.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

stev posted:

Fwiw the special was out months ago so it's weird it's only just been noticed.

I mean it's on netflix so I'm guessing no one watched it

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Thanks all, gonna transition to a blanket-and-coffee-based heating system for the rest of the winter!

(p.s. gently caress Shell)

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The Guardian has hired some racist Daily Mail shitraker, continuing it's descent into being nothing but appeals to give them money, but this leaked fact about the current editor is extremely funny:

https://twitter.com/RivkahBrown/status/1489652928784838657?t=RPs4Z0JDtxN7lwARZQq6Ng&s=19

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

One of the potential problems though if you don't heat all your place is the growth of black mould.

And the solution for that is ventilation, which is nice until you notice that you are now shivering, i open them up in the morning then close windows a couple hours later and let the sun warm the house up a bit.

It's just me in a 1960s three bedroom brick semi so i opted for heating the person (multiple layers & a beanie hat) and heat the house to 16°C 2-3 times a day to take the edge off.

This is not the future mode of life i expected. :stare:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

mrpwase posted:

eat cheap and shiver a lot

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

mrpwase posted:

Probably a lot more efficient to heat yourself from the inside with a cuppa, yes (rather than heating all the air in your house) - but also, gas is generally far cheaper than electricity, so it be better to boil water on the gas stove (but there's also a lot of waste heat from that so I couldn't be certain)

gently caress it I might just take some measurements tonight, I'm all curious.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp2wbyLoEtM

the cold can be legit scary.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mostly wish I knew a good method for keeping hands warm, I can't type with gloves on and my body apparently is desperate to sacrifice my fingers to save the rest of me at the slightest hint of cold, even as the rest of me is perfectly happy.

Was poo poo at uni because by the time I got to the campus from the bus station it would take two hours for my fingers to regain enough feeling to be able to type straight. Rest of me was perfectly fine but my body just hates my fingers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

gently caress it I might just take some measurements tonight, I'm all curious.
I got one of those hot water boilers that just makes a single cup, after years with a gas kettle. I've not done a full power analysis but just from the amount of time it's on (and higher rate of heating, 3kW into a direct heating tube) it seems competitive.

Plus I don't have to start heating it 10 minutes before someone comes round for tea or if I'm making stuffing or sauces.

OwlFancier posted:

I mostly wish I knew a good method for keeping hands warm

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not wanking on the bus and I can only wank so much at home.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I mostly wish I knew a good method for keeping hands warm, I can't type with gloves on and my body apparently is desperate to sacrifice my fingers to save the rest of me at the slightest hint of cold, even as the rest of me is perfectly happy.

Was poo poo at uni because by the time I got to the campus from the bus station it would take two hours for my fingers to regain enough feeling to be able to type straight. Rest of me was perfectly fine but my body just hates my fingers.

Raynaud's?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think my grandmother has that but I've never been diagnosed with anything. It's not been a big problem since I stopped doing academic work because I can lift poo poo fine with cold hands, just can't type with stiff fingers. Also have a big pair of sheepskin gloves and a big wool greatcoat I wear whenever I go outside.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 4, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I think my grandmother has that but I've never been diagnosed with anything.

Sounds like it anyway. No fags helps, vasodilators can be prescribed if it's bad. Generally wear gloves and wrap up well is best

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Do poppers on the bus and put your hands down your trousers.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I've been using these for a few years: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07H7QZZSM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

Thin thermal fingerless gloves that cover the wrist and bit of the arm as well as hand, very comfortable. :)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i sympathize with the hands thing, i'm the same way, often even when it's warm my hands get bad when typing. i don't have raynaud's but my father clearly had an undiagnosed case of it, so there's probably some genes there.

if you're generally stuck using electric for heat (or even if you're not, really), these are the sorts of heaters i recommend:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elanket-In...s%2C153&sr=8-15

they don't really heat the air or room so much as the surfaces of whatever the energy lands on. and small units like this (caveat: i just randomly searched for this model and have never used it) are nice because you can turn on just one bulb, sit it on the desk nearish your keyboard, and have it just heat your hands or torso.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

Do poppers on the bus and put your hands down your trousers.

Flashback of the former, met a school friend never met for years at random on a bus going home.
Sat together and started chatting.
He pulled out a bottle of poppers and just started sniffing away on it.
Offered me some, but didn't take it.
He was going to a party and wanted to start early lol.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

happyhippy posted:

Flashback of the former, met a school friend never met for years at random on a bus going home.
Sat together and started chatting.
He pulled out a bottle of poppers and just started sniffing away on it.
Offered me some, but didn't take it.
He was going to a party and wanted to start early lol.

lmao jesus

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
At least his hands were warm :v:

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

(but there's also a lot of waste heat from that so I couldn't be certain)
Rough calculations:

Electricity is 20.3p per kWh (!), gas is 4p per kWh. So all being equal it would cost 5x as much to heat a cup of water on electric than gas. But a gas hob is only about 40% efficient (mostly due to heat loss around the sides) and slightly less powerful (~2.5kW as opposed to 3.3kW) allowing more heat to be lost during the longer boiling cycle.

For both gas and electric kettles you'll also need to heat up a bit more water than you need to use or you'll risk knackering them, this scales inversely with how much you need, wasting say half for 1 cup, 25% for 2 cups.

Rough observations:

It takes about 7 minutes to heat up enough water for 2 cups of tea and a bit extra on the gas hob, so say 0.3kWh or 1.2p of gas. A cup boiler takes 30s per cup and draws 3kW so 0.05kWh or 1.015p of electricity.

So actually slightly cheaper for the cup boiler, which I wasn't expecting at first. And much quicker.

mediaphage posted:

these are the sorts of heaters i recommend:
I got one of these about 4 years back during that terrible winter, when my boiler decided to start eating poo poo. It's p good.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

another consideration is that you really shouldn't run a gas stove indoors (even for cooking) without exterior ventilation, which defeats the purpose of using it for heat.

i know millions of people do it but it still isn't good for you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Reduce your lifetime heating bills with this one weird trick, pulmonologists hate it!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

mediaphage posted:

another consideration is that you really shouldn't run a gas stove indoors (even for cooking) without exterior ventilation, which defeats the purpose of using it for heat.

i know millions of people do it but it still isn't good for you.

yeah i've heard this but its after over 30 years living in houses that use gas cookers

how hosed up am I? I can't remember what I was doing 5 seconds ago and spend most of my time staring into corners but i just assumed that was capitalism working as intended.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

definitely capitalism!

you know it's one of those things, the best time to do it was before, the second best time to mitigate, when possible, is to do it now. it's unlikely to have caused your brain to stop working though lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is the cup boiler I got, they're over 50 quid now but I stumbled across one on summer sale at exactly the time my gas kettle started whistling lovely and taking even longer to boil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZDDndpChUY

If you'd asked me at the time I'd have said it probably costs more per cup but is much faster (and better for air quality). Being cheaper to run too just makes me wish I'd got one years ago.

I've never made an extremely Country Living Magazine pot noodle on it though, so it's possible that I'm using it wrong.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

CRAFTEH WANK LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose you also have to factor in how much you're spending per cup before it goes bang.

Speaking of single use kitchen gadgets I was thinking of perhaps getting a rice cooker as I like rice but am bad at cooking it. Ideally like, single serving and compact but also ideally not likely to melt itself too quickly. Anyone had much fun with those?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 4, 2022