Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Jerusalem posted:

Long story short: Rose was desperately in love with 10 and he kept making it clear that this wasn't something he could reciprocate. Then he used his severed arm from The Christmas Invasion to avoid regenerating after being shot by a Dalek, which accidentally created another version of himself who had his mind/memories/intelligence etc but also happened to be entirely human, and the story ends with him making out with Rose and the two of them going to live in the alternate Cybus Universe.

Oh right, that. Honestly it seems weird to me that people are so excited for RTD to come back considering how fanfictiony it often felt with how much he seemed to want all his characters to gently caress the Doctor (and each other, when you factor Torchwood in), especially since I recall people equally excited to see him leave at the time. Of course, back then people were also excited for Moffat to replace him, which seems rather quaint now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

RTD had some spectacular highs and some pretty astonishing lows, but one constant through almost all his time running the show was that it always felt exciting and that you never really knew what loving bizarre thing was going to happen next. I loved Moffat's run, even if he started to repeat himself by his last couple of seasons, and the revival as a whole I think hit a high watermark in Season 5 that has only been matched by Day of the Doctor, though stretches of Capaldi's first and last season were right up there too. Overall I think the show was better under Moffat, but I also don't think it was ever more exciting and chaotic than it was under RTD.

Also, the last thing RTD wrote was last year's It's A Sin which was an absolutely incredible bit of writing, and I'd like to hope he's recharged his batteries and learned his lessons about getting his first drafts in early for this run on Doctor Who :)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

RTD's run is probably going to be as bad as his previous run was, but I'd say fans of modern DW should be more concerned about his stated desire to franchise the poo poo out of the show, given that his previous attempt at doing so gave us one okay kids' show and Torchwood.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

As long as there are no more farting aliens.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

The fact that RTD would later write a story where Donna basically gets the brainpower of a Time Lord in a human body and is informed that it is too much for a human body to take and she'll burn out if her mind isn't severely locked down suggests a rather horrifying ultimate end result for Doctor Twho over in the Cybus Universe, which I don't think RTD even remotely intended or ever considered.

I can't wait to see whatever future RTD decided human Ten and Rose went on to have, as long as it's not this

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Davros1 posted:

Big Finish is bringing back the "Doctor Who- Unbound" series. However it looks like the BBC's edict of not allowing them to cast new actors as the Doctor still stands, so they're taking a different approach to this ...

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-of-war-rewrites-history

Introducing Colin Baker as ... THE WAR DOCTOR.

Fantastic! Of course we all know Collin will knock it out of the park, and I love the Unbound series. Hearing C Bake's take on the War doctor should be really fun.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Someone repost the "first face" Six meme, I can't find it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the Unbound series is weird because it has some of Big Finish's best stories but, also, some of its worst, and in both cases that's really saying something.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I thought people liked Torchwood and Sarah Jane Adventures. OH right. Doctor who. Everyone loves and hates every part in equal measure. Every episode both zenith and nadir.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Torchwood being horrendous is a thread meme. It's why some people were wary of Chibnall being showrunner.

I think it's true of the first two seasons, but my recollection is that season 3 (Children of Men) is really good even when compared to shows that aren't Torchwood and Miracle Day was an interesting premise that never found its place all the way. Davies was mostly responsible for Children of Men and Jane Espenson did Miracle Day, so both are understandably basically different shows from the Chibnall stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Khanstant posted:

I thought people liked Torchwood and Sarah Jane Adventures. OH right. Doctor who. Everyone loves and hates every part in equal measure. Every episode both zenith and nadir.

People only like the Children of Earth Mini, otherwise Torchwood is trash.

Also obligatory CLASS mention.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I never even bothered with Class. The Clara and Danny stuff at Coal Hill School was cute enough, but the setting didn't feel like it needed a whole spin-off, since there's nothing there aside from, "oh hey, it's the same school as An Unearthly Child".

I'm surprised the Unbound series has been dormant for so long. I know apparently the BBC don't like Big Finish creating new Doctors, even if they're explicitly non-canon on offs, but the idea has so much potential, especially if they only do a few every so often, and go really wild and out there with the ideas. The Unbound Doctor played by David Warner is a supporting character in the Bernice Summerfield series, apparently (although I'm guessing it's very easy for them to get Lisa Bowerman and Warner to work together).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

The Unbound Doctor played by David Warner is a supporting character in the Bernice Summerfield series, apparently (although I'm guessing it's very easy for them to get Lisa Bowerman and Warner to work together).

Warner's not been easy to get for the last year, for whatever reason. I think he struggles with at home recording, despite, yeah, living with Lisa. It's part of the reason that we've not had any original Bernice content for the last year, that and the John Barrowman stuff.

Rhyno posted:

This is, depending on how you look at it, tragic, but the radio Torchwood plays have been by far the most consistently excellent Doctor Who made the last few years.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

RTD's run is probably going to be as bad as his previous run was, but I'd say fans of modern DW should be more concerned about his stated desire to franchise the poo poo out of the show, given that his previous attempt at doing so gave us one okay kids' show and Torchwood.

I dunno, the Torchwood RTD was most initially involved with was Children of Earth, which was fantastic. (There was a season after that? I don't know what you're talking about!)

The Sarah Jane Adventures were amazing and I'll not hear any claims that it was merely OK. Liz Sladen almost made watching K9 and Company endurable, and the writing was much much better on the Sarah Jane Adventures. As for the "kids' show" comment, Doctor Who also had that label.

I'd love to see what some new people (not all men, please) can do if set loose on some of the other aspects of the franchise, especially if they can lure some of the performers back. We need some new names and some fans of the new series to take the reins.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Someone repost the "first face" Six meme, I can't find it.

Simply amazing :allears:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I didnt even particularly like Children of Earth tbh. Having disliked torchwood I stopped watching it, then came back to Children of Earth due to the "its torchwood but not poo poo!" press it was getting. I'd agree it was a bit better than what we were used to with torchwood, but personally I thought it was still pretty bleh.

I mean, I dont particularly care either way if they franchise it or not tbh; if the spin off/extended whoniverse stuff they produce looks interesting to me then great, I'll watch it, if it doesnt then I wont. No skin off my nose. At the end of the day "franchising the show" is pretty much what Big Finish is and a lot of people love that (I wish I could get into it, but I just cant, presumably for the same reason I kind of slide off podcasts as a medium entirely).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

Simply amazing :allears:

Thank-you. It's perfect.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

This is, depending on how you look at it, tragic, but the radio Torchwood plays have been by far the most consistently excellent Doctor Who made the last few years.

If you're going to make up a lie, at least make it a believable lie.

Also, I went ahead and picked up all of the Unbound line since it's on sale. I had a couple of them already and one was worse than I expected but not horrible (Auld Mortality) and the other was better than I expected mainly due to the strength of the atmosphere (A Storm of Angels). Guess I'm going to find the worst in here somewhere.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The bad one is called Exile. It's a shame that it's bad because it's an early attempt at having a woman play the Doctor, but they just play every note wrong.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/spankybackpack/status/1469442271338803202

:allears:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Bicyclops posted:

The bad one is called Exile. It's a shame that it's bad because it's an early attempt at having a woman play the Doctor, but they just play every note wrong.

Exile is also the first time David Tennant played a Time Lord. Just not that Time Lord.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
I got into the audio adventures a bit since my library had some and now I just love anything with Missy in it, she cracks me up.

I had to a look up a wiki to find out what the deal was with the multi-master stories, holy poo poo the wiki is huge and impenetrable - would anyone be willing to confirm a couple of things so I don't have to try to read anymore of it? Jacobi's Master (with a lovely recognisable voice) was running about adventuring before he humaned himself? And the bald one is made up for the audio adventures and is before Jacobi and after the US accent/movie Master?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

SiKboy posted:

I didnt even particularly like Children of Earth tbh. Having disliked torchwood I stopped watching it, then came back to Children of Earth due to the "its torchwood but not poo poo!" press it was getting. I'd agree it was a bit better than what we were used to with torchwood, but personally I thought it was still pretty bleh.

I mean, I dont particularly care either way if they franchise it or not tbh; if the spin off/extended whoniverse stuff they produce looks interesting to me then great, I'll watch it, if it doesnt then I wont. No skin off my nose. At the end of the day "franchising the show" is pretty much what Big Finish is and a lot of people love that (I wish I could get into it, but I just cant, presumably for the same reason I kind of slide off podcasts as a medium entirely).

Well, I mean on one hand you're not wrong in regards to the BF audios, but on the other hand those aren't exactly hugely popular with a mainstream audience, they're strictly a niche product for diehard fans of a particular Doctor or era of the series.

The main thing about franchising something like DW is you have to be wary of overexposure leading to people becoming tired of the particular franchise, or bad product watering down the brand. Obviously DW isn't suffering from that right now, but RTD clearly would like it to be as ubiquitous as the Marvel or Star Wars franchises, which means he'll have to be very careful about not putting out a subpar product or doing things like stunt casting to get mainstream media attention. You know, like creating Torchwood or casting Kylie Minogue in an episode. :v:

McGann
May 19, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

Warner's not been easy to get for the last year, for whatever reason. I think he struggles with at home recording, despite, yeah, living with Lisa. It's part of the reason that we've not had any original Bernice content for the last year, that and the John Barrowman stuff.

Woah, and this is where I learned they're an item o.O. That brings a whole new perspective to that Bed and Deadfast or whatever it was called they did together, where they pretended to be a married couple as Unbound Doctor / Benny.

I love that series, so it's kinda nice to know they're a couple in real life - and drat David, way to pull a younger hottie (relatively speaking), Lisa is gorgeous.

Torchwood via Big Finish has indeed been fantastic, especially love some of the original characters they introduced - Norton Folgate, Mr Colchester, Reintroducing Yvonne Hartman..sorta? and their exploration of some of the lesser used ones - ie Andy.

Strong Convections posted:

I had to a look up a wiki to find out what the deal was with the multi-master stories, holy poo poo the wiki is huge and impenetrable - would anyone be willing to confirm a couple of things so I don't have to try to read anymore of it? Jacobi's Master (with a lovely recognisable voice) was running about adventuring before he humaned himself? And the bald one is made up for the audio adventures and is before Jacobi and after the US accent/movie Master?

Mostly yes. We don't REALLY know where 'the bald one' falls into it, he exists in that weird space along with the Beevers version who returns as well. But that's a simple way to think of it, yea. US Accent/Movie master Roberts was never really the physical form, he was a snake thing inside of the human he inhabited. And then Big Finish magic'd it into being the human form Roberts Master mainly so they could get Robert's voice back for audio.

At least that's how I remember it this early in the morn.

McGann fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 5, 2022

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Love me a silver fox

I want Roberts and Capaldi in an audio, dammit :argh:

McGann
May 19, 2003

Vinylshadow posted:

Love me a silver fox

I want Roberts and Capaldi in an audio, dammit :argh:

He oozes sinister, in such a weirdly different way. His is...I think slimy? Maybe. Like When he shows up and ruins Beevers Master's little paradise/romance just to be a dick . Yeah the Master is usually a dick, but some of his actions feel particularly sleazy.

Does anyone remember the reasoning that Snake Master became Roberts Master? I'm usually engaging in herbal supplements when I listen to my audio plays, and that one is eluding my memory.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Whoatse that thing behind them? Radical Cyberman modernization or just copy pasted from a videogame?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It'll never happen but I would laugh my rear end off if when we get to the end of the Sacha Dhawan Master's run, he decides to one up the Doctor in his next regeneration, and becomes Missy and it turns out she thought 13 was 12, and Missy's entire run she had no idea that the last time Capaldi saw her she was the Simm Master :laugh:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I would love that so much.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Whoatse that thing behind them? Radical Cyberman modernization or just copy pasted from a videogame?

vidja

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Bicyclops posted:

Torchwood being horrendous is a thread meme. It's why some people were wary of Chibnall being showrunner.

I mean, Chibnall's first ever episode for the entire Doctor Who franchise was the sentient sex gas episode.

The second one was the one with Ol' Shiny Tits.

To be completely fair, his third attempt, "Countrycide", did give us Captain Jack in a ruddy great tractor.

Still, one good episode out of four in both series ("Adrift" is fantastic and I will not hear slander against it :colbert:) isn't really a good enough record.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

McGann posted:

Mostly yes. We don't REALLY know where 'the bald one' falls into it, he exists in that weird space along with the Beevers version who returns as well. But that's a simple way to think of it, yea. US Accent/Movie master Roberts was never really the physical form, he was a snake thing inside of the human he inhabited. And then Big Finish magic'd it into being the human form Roberts Master mainly so they could get Robert's voice back for audio.
Thanks. I was fine with the Roberts because his voice is easy to distinguish and I've watched the movie, but I use the audio to help me doze off and was lying awake going "the bald one? what bald one?".
I guess I'd just always assumed that Jacobi grew up human - but thinking about it, the chameleon arch doesn't work that way, they stay the same age and just have a fake backstory.

Vinylshadow posted:

Love me a silver fox
I'm sure it's just the filters, but that looks awful- like a clay model of a person. Or that guy who got all the plastic surgery to look like a ken doll.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

TinTower posted:

Still, one good episode out of four in both series ("Adrift" is fantastic and I will not hear slander against it :colbert:) isn't really a good enough record.

lmao that's better than his hit rate in the actual series. Imagine how much better his series would have been if one out of the four episodes he wrote were good.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

McGann posted:

Mostly yes. We don't REALLY know where 'the bald one' falls into it, he exists in that weird space along with the Beevers version who returns as well.

There are a few John Dorney stories that cement BF's perspective on the character (mostly The Two Masters and his work on Ravagers).

Roughly it goes: Delgado -> Beevers -> McQueen (...) Jacobi -> Simm -> Missy with the idea that the Beevers incarnation experimented with a variety of ways of extending his life, resulting in the Anthony Ainley and Eric Roberts versions.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I like Torchwood other than CoE. I mean, I'm not arguing that it's not trash, but it has it's fun, and I genuinely enjoy watching it (without taking it too seriously). It's got this peculiar tone where the writing seems to be earnest, but then the actors are hamming it up to greater or lesser extents, and all of the colours and sets are larger than life.

Torchwood is much more watchable than the past few series of Doctor Who (which is not fun and all the people are lifeless).

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Strong Convections posted:

I like Torchwood other than CoE. I mean, I'm not arguing that it's not trash, but it has it's fun, and I genuinely enjoy watching it (without taking it too seriously). It's got this peculiar tone where the writing seems to be earnest, but then the actors are hamming it up to greater or lesser extents, and all of the colours and sets are larger than life.

Torchwood is much more watchable than the past few series of Doctor Who (which is not fun and all the people are lifeless).

Yeah, Torchwood has the issue where it keeps pairing grimdark plots with mid-00s saturation that gives it a kind of B-movie energy. It's not good, but it is watchable.

I think CoE is slightly better than regular Torchwood but they're pretty similar beasts overall. Five episodes is way too long for the story they're trying to tell and even though CoE has one really killer scene per episode (the scene where all the politicians sit down and discuss how to determine which children will be given to the aliens is one of the best things RTD's ever written), there's an absurd amount of running around, even given it's a DW spinoff.

That being said, the idea of Torchwood at least was worth trying. I have no urge to try the audios, but good on them if they finally got it working. As wary as I am of the idea of RTD franchising Doctor Who, the two spinoffs during his tenure were built on solid foundations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The US co-produced season is abysmal.

I mean, all TW is pretty much tainted by Barrowman now, not that it was ever worth revisiting.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

All anyone needs to remember about TW is that they wrote a scene in the first episode where one of the main characters uses an alien date rape drug on two innocent people: a woman he wants to sleep with, and her angry boyfriend when he shows up wanting to kick the main character's rear end. And the worst part about it is that it's pretty much played for laughs. He's a creepy piece of poo poo that should have had his rear end kicked by the angry boyfriend, but ha ha, now they're gonna gently caress instead! Isn't that hilarious, that he drugged these people to sleep with him against their will? And that he receives zero comeuppance for this, and instead gets to have romantic flings with his coworkers, and eventually gets to die not one but two heroic deaths during the course of the first season?

gently caress that show.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Rhyno posted:

The US co-produced season is abysmal.
Well even I am not going to defend that other than to say it's not the first sci-fi that tried to go UK->US and ended up a mangled mess and it conceptually was compelling.

The concept would have made for a good DW episode with a dodgy fix-it ending for example.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

All anyone needs to remember about TW is [...] gently caress that show.
Captain Jack goes back to DW and is all like "Torchwood is different now! We're not like those corporate monsters that were trying to protect the world and believed in that duty so much it withstood Cyberman conversion. No! I made it to honour you Doctor."
And everyone is playing it with straight faces. I just :allears:

Strong Convections fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
It's rather odd that on the Wiki, every Time Lord character has a separate page for each incarnation, but the Master has just one for every version.

Anthony Ainley apparently declined to reprise the role for Dust Breeding, and it was rewritten to have Beevers play the Master instead, saying that the plot device of the story had rotted away the Tremas body to his decayed version. He then spends the next while body hopping, only for each new body to inevitably return to the decayed form. As a parasite, he steals the body of Bruce (the Eric Roberts character) and after escaping the time vortex, carries on using it for a while, only for it to once again rot away to to the decayed version. He's finally about to be killed for good, only for the Time Lords to give him a new regeneration cycle, with the MacQueen Master as the start of a new Time Lord body.

I think. The real confusion is if the decayed Master is a destroyed version of the UNIT enemy Master body, a failed attempt to regenerate into a 14th incarnation, or a damaged version of Beevers as the 13th Master. All of which have been suggested by different writers, iirc.