Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Colonel posted:

she does, in, The Video Game Canon

Yeah, the vastly better canon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Having magic let's them do anything even read your posts

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
OK, I've finished The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I also went ahead and watched the movie and both The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi-chan and Nyoro~n Churuya-san. Once again, thanks everyone for your advice on watching the main show in the original broadcast order!

Some thoughts:

- The only thing I knew about the show going into it was that (1) it was EVERYWHERE about 15 years ago, enough so that I saw the characters everywhere at the time despite not watching anime, kind of like My Little Pony broke into the mainstream a few years later, and (2) there was a famous dance in it. I was surprised to realize that the dance was like 20 seconds of shots interspersed amongst the end credits.
- When I realized the concept of the show was effectively an anime version of the Twilight Zone episode "It's a Good Life," I was psyched; it's an awesome gimmick. Ultimately, though, they didn't do as much with that idea as I hoped; the best example I can think of is when Haruhi makes Mikuru actually have eye lasers and the rest of the movie shoot. I would've loved a lot of smaller-scale stuff like that.
- When I was looking at contemporary posts about the show here on SA, a lot of people mentioned it being packed with details and having really strong visuals. Maybe I'm just unobservant, but it didn't stand out in those regards to me as especially amazing. I did think the movie looked pretty nice.
- Someone on here called it "the most 'you had to be there' anime of all time" when I mentioned my plans to watch it. I'm guessing they meant that there was probably a lot of speculation around where the plot would go as the show aired, or something like that.
- I thought Haruhi's characterization was really inconsistent over the course of the show. Maybe it's more like a character arc in the chronological order, and I guess it's kind of a wild character so maybe that's why there are such extremes to her personality, but it was noticeable given the other characters were so consistent.
- I liked that Kyon was such an accurate audience insert, even to the point of occasionally being obnoxiously self-satisfied about recognizing tropes and so on.
- Is Mikuru history's greatest doormat?
- They wrote a joke about it in one of the last episodes, but it was strange how Haruhi just responded like normal to Kyon's thoughts as if he said them aloud like 20% of the time. It felt too frequent to be a punchline and too infrequent to be a plot device to make you think that she actually can read his thoughts.
- Coming off of Lucky Star, it was kind of a relief not to have a show as packed with references to other stuff that I haven't seen (although I'm sure there was some that I didn't catch). That said, the Phoenix Wright reference was perfect.
- I'm also a sucker for concert scenes, and although this didn't reach the height of the My Hero Academia one, it was still great.
- Shout-out to me for recognizing the voice of one of Kyon's friends as Rubedo/Jr. from Xenosaga.
- I'm conflicted about Endless Eight. Ultimately, I did get bored of the gimmick, so in that sense it was a failure. I think my main problem with it was that I've experienced a lot of time-loop fiction, and usually there's more differentiation between each loop than they provided here. Even something as simple as Kyon asking Yuki different questions about what had happened in each scenario would've been really nice. The payoff at the end was also underwhelming, although maybe that's because I guessed right about what the solution would be (some mixture of "homework" and "offer your own loving idea of something to do tomorrow, which OBVIOUSLY Haruhi is desperate for somebody to do"). Although my dark-horse idea for a solution was for Kyon to demonstrate some supernatural ability, since the weirdest thing about Haruhi's summer plans was how normal they were.
- That said, if I were someone learning to create anime, I think Endless Eight would be a fascinating case study to see the many different ways they reconstructed effectively the same episode: changes to the pacing, editing, script, costumes, shot angles, etc. I feel like there would be a lot to learn there. Ultimately, I admire the moxie of the idea, but wish it had been a few episodes shorter and/or contained more variation from episode to episode. That said, my sympathies to the fans who watched the second season as it aired and slowly despaired as they realized that It Was Another Episode Where Kyon Just Stood There. I imagine it was like when I watched the third season of Twin Peaks and realized that, yup, Dougie Jones is still here.
- The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi-chan was obviously inconsequential, but it was fun. Mostly for the Yuki elements, but also because Haruhi verged on Konata from Lucky Star in some episodes. ...But mostly for peak Yuki content.
- I've already forgotten what Nyoro~n Churuya-san was (except emoticon inspiration) and I watched it all like two days ago.
- I really enjoyed the movie, even though it had one of my least favorite plot devices with the whole "everybody forgot X!" thing. It made me actually laugh out loud a few times, which I'm not sure ever happened during the series itself. I loooooooove a Gang Gets Back Together scene though, and I also enjoyed Kyon admitting that, yes, Haruhi makes his life 100x more exciting.
- I'm guessing that The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan is a spinoff about the alternate universe where Kyon makes the other decision, or maybe it just treats that universe like it's the only one and follows Yuki as the protagonist. I think I'll at least give it a try.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I stopped paying attention to Haruhi a very long time ago but did the fan theory that it's actually Kyon's wishes which shape the world end up true. I.e., that big speech in the very beginning about how he'd want to be a sidekick instead of a protagonist, willed it into existence

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm going to allow you to post about the show thats older than stairmaster openly and freely

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
here's my post, again, without spoiler tags, so you don't have to click:

I stopped paying attention to Haruhi a very long time ago but did the fan theory that it's actually Kyon's wishes which shape the world end up true. I.e., that big speech in the very beginning about how he'd want to be a sidekick instead of a protagonist, willed it into existence

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

there was a weird compulsion at the time, here and elsewhere, when lost was still airing and people hadnt realized it was also full of bullshit, to cast haruhi suzumiya as the anime version of lost and some kind of complex but solvable mystery that you could piece together in your head from week to week. and then you finally get to haruhi 6 and all the pieces fall into place and wow, i can't believe it kyon and haruhi loved each other all along :wth:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

tfw you realise we'll never learn the truth to haruhi and thats ok

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

surf rock posted:

OK, I've finished The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I also went ahead and watched the movie and both The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi-chan and Nyoro~n Churuya-san. Once again, thanks everyone for your advice on watching the main show in the original broadcast order!

Some thoughts:

- The only thing I knew about the show going into it was that (1) it was EVERYWHERE about 15 years ago, enough so that I saw the characters everywhere at the time despite not watching anime, kind of like My Little Pony broke into the mainstream a few years later, and (2) there was a famous dance in it. I was surprised to realize that the dance was like 20 seconds of shots interspersed amongst the end credits.
- When I realized the concept of the show was effectively an anime version of the Twilight Zone episode "It's a Good Life," I was psyched; it's an awesome gimmick. Ultimately, though, they didn't do as much with that idea as I hoped; the best example I can think of is when Haruhi makes Mikuru actually have eye lasers and the rest of the movie shoot. I would've loved a lot of smaller-scale stuff like that.
- When I was looking at contemporary posts about the show here on SA, a lot of people mentioned it being packed with details and having really strong visuals. Maybe I'm just unobservant, but it didn't stand out in those regards to me as especially amazing. I did think the movie looked pretty nice.
- Someone on here called it "the most 'you had to be there' anime of all time" when I mentioned my plans to watch it. I'm guessing they meant that there was probably a lot of speculation around where the plot would go as the show aired, or something like that.
- I thought Haruhi's characterization was really inconsistent over the course of the show. Maybe it's more like a character arc in the chronological order, and I guess it's kind of a wild character so maybe that's why there are such extremes to her personality, but it was noticeable given the other characters were so consistent.
- I liked that Kyon was such an accurate audience insert, even to the point of occasionally being obnoxiously self-satisfied about recognizing tropes and so on.
- Is Mikuru history's greatest doormat?
- They wrote a joke about it in one of the last episodes, but it was strange how Haruhi just responded like normal to Kyon's thoughts as if he said them aloud like 20% of the time. It felt too frequent to be a punchline and too infrequent to be a plot device to make you think that she actually can read his thoughts.
- Coming off of Lucky Star, it was kind of a relief not to have a show as packed with references to other stuff that I haven't seen (although I'm sure there was some that I didn't catch). That said, the Phoenix Wright reference was perfect.
- I'm also a sucker for concert scenes, and although this didn't reach the height of the My Hero Academia one, it was still great.
- Shout-out to me for recognizing the voice of one of Kyon's friends as Rubedo/Jr. from Xenosaga.
- I'm conflicted about Endless Eight. Ultimately, I did get bored of the gimmick, so in that sense it was a failure. I think my main problem with it was that I've experienced a lot of time-loop fiction, and usually there's more differentiation between each loop than they provided here. Even something as simple as Kyon asking Yuki different questions about what had happened in each scenario would've been really nice. The payoff at the end was also underwhelming, although maybe that's because I guessed right about what the solution would be (some mixture of "homework" and "offer your own loving idea of something to do tomorrow, which OBVIOUSLY Haruhi is desperate for somebody to do"). Although my dark-horse idea for a solution was for Kyon to demonstrate some supernatural ability, since the weirdest thing about Haruhi's summer plans was how normal they were.
- That said, if I were someone learning to create anime, I think Endless Eight would be a fascinating case study to see the many different ways they reconstructed effectively the same episode: changes to the pacing, editing, script, costumes, shot angles, etc. I feel like there would be a lot to learn there. Ultimately, I admire the moxie of the idea, but wish it had been a few episodes shorter and/or contained more variation from episode to episode. That said, my sympathies to the fans who watched the second season as it aired and slowly despaired as they realized that It Was Another Episode Where Kyon Just Stood There. I imagine it was like when I watched the third season of Twin Peaks and realized that, yup, Dougie Jones is still here.
- The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi-chan was obviously inconsequential, but it was fun. Mostly for the Yuki elements, but also because Haruhi verged on Konata from Lucky Star in some episodes. ...But mostly for peak Yuki content.
- I've already forgotten what Nyoro~n Churuya-san was (except emoticon inspiration) and I watched it all like two days ago.
- I really enjoyed the movie, even though it had one of my least favorite plot devices with the whole "everybody forgot X!" thing. It made me actually laugh out loud a few times, which I'm not sure ever happened during the series itself. I loooooooove a Gang Gets Back Together scene though, and I also enjoyed Kyon admitting that, yes, Haruhi makes his life 100x more exciting.
- I'm guessing that The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan is a spinoff about the alternate universe where Kyon makes the other decision, or maybe it just treats that universe like it's the only one and follows Yuki as the protagonist. I think I'll at least give it a try.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I had a crush on her as a teen

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
you know, the girl who exists to do nothing but try to stab the audience insert and then die. big crush

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

cheetah7071 posted:

I had a crush on her as a teen

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Violet_Sky posted:

Can anyone recommend me good anime/manga podcasts?

nothing i'm totally uncritical of, but i've gone through a handful. the few i'm more or less on top of atm:

Oops All Anime - weekly 3-ep tests of anime, the backlog looks more varied but they seem to have hit on mostly covering seasonal shows aside from patreon requests and sometimes when they've run out of appealing seasonals. light episodes of takes and discussion, i like to take the temp on seasonal shows so this fits that niche easy.

Warui Deshou - recently stopped seasonal coverage in favor of less frequent full-series discussion eps. my expectations for anime podcasts are low so i was surprised by this one having generally good discussion and insight. i'm both excited and scared about there being a 4hr Princess Tutu ep.

Your Uncle's Beach House - monthly coverage dictated by patreon requests, has i think always been on completed stuff (anime and manga, plus adjacent live action) does go in 12-13 ep chunks where there can be significant gaps between halves.

Anime World Order - don't care for one of the hosts (Daryl) but it usually isn't an issue to the eps themselves. older hosts means the anime selections often skew older, episode releases seem pretty sporadic. i can at least wholeheartedly recommend any episode where they play trivia games though, those are fun to join along with.

some others that have seemed interesting or i used to listen to but haven't checked in with:

Mangasplaining: new to this one, but some comics industry people discuss a volume or two of manga each ep. enjoyed their discussion on Dandadan, just to hear more discussion of Dandadan. there's plenty of interesting-looking stuff in the backlog too.

Anime Nostalgia - this one feels of a piece with AWO in terms of focusing on older stuff. didn't have any of the issue with annoying curmudgeon-ness i get from AWO sometimes, i fell out of old anime for a while so haven't kept up with it but lots of interesting stuff in the backlog here too.

Dynamite in the Brain - used to follow these guys because their seasonal coverage always picked weird shows, but now that show (Let's Go) feels a bit too recap focused over discussion. DITB is the show they've used for full series review stuff and gimmicks like Anime That Didn't Make Us.

Anime is Lit - mostly just meaning to check this one out bc they featured in the Warui Deshou decade review and have an episode on ACCA. looks like updates are infrequent but they've got a mix of discussed to death (Eva) and other shows in the backlog.

Cocoa Disaster - dead podcast, used to enjoy their seasonal coverage but they've got plenty of one-off eps for series or movies too.

Ghost Divers - unsure how i feel about this one yet, but why not name it anyway. only picked it up recently with the Utena season and haven't gotten far since the episodes are monsters. but it's been a good way to revisit the show without actually doing a whole rewatch.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

waypoint is a gamergate site for chuds given how much harassment against transwomen theyve incited. mods?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway wrt haruhi keep in mind literally everything happening in the show is because haruhi wished it (unless you go by that fan theory.) like obviously characters have agency but a lot of extremely minor details probably also exist because of haruhi even if the show doesnt flag them as such. for instance its not a stretch to assume that, say, the computer club is full of easily bullyable nerds because haruhi thinks that's what a computer club would be and its convenient for her.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Captain Baal posted:

if I see gigguk come up i'm probating you

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i think just by occams razor or whatever the supernatural of haruhi is not actually meant to be ironed out, in fact as the light novel goes on her effects on the world wane as she grows a bit and treats people around her like, well, people. like all good anime its just a metaphor for adolescence and depression

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I stopped paying attention to haruhi long before it became clear that things wouldn't ever be fully explained. never even watched season two

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Endorph posted:

waypoint is a gamergate site for chuds given how much harassment against transwomen theyve incited. mods?

this

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ANN, Waypoint...It's chuddery all the way down quite frankly.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Namtab posted:

I'm going to allow you to post about the show thats older than stairmaster openly and freely

i'm 28 op

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Namtab are you jealous of my swag

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

anytime a vtuber is reading superchats and says stairmaster im like, drat im jealous of that guys swag

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
need a vtuber stairmaster compilation a la sneeze comp

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Compile all his red superchats.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I've only done a magenta sc to ask Selen to play Sonic 3 and knuckles

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

and she turned you down. embarrassing

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I've seen your Aka's asking Gura to join the Tv Tuner's Podcast.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

dogsicle posted:

Anime World Order - don't care for one of the hosts (Daryl) but it usually isn't an issue to the eps themselves. older hosts means the anime selections often skew older, episode releases seem pretty sporadic. i can at least wholeheartedly recommend any episode where they play trivia games though, those are fun to join along with.

Lol, this is the polar opposite take for me because I find Daryl the most entertaining. Clarissa and Gerald contribute some good discussion but I like how animated Daryl gets and it shows his passion for things he likes and dislikes. I can see why people might be put off by him but he combines that with a nice knowledge of things so he usually has something interesting to say.

Even though they mostly do older stuff it’s well worth checking out. They just put out an episode about Locke the Superman and it’s great stuff.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

please elaborate

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

Lol, this is the polar opposite take for me because I find Daryl the most entertaining. Clarissa and Gerald contribute some good discussion but I like how animated Daryl gets and it shows his passion for things he likes and dislikes. I can see why people might be put off by him but he combines that with a nice knowledge of things so he usually has something interesting to say.

Even though they mostly do older stuff it’s well worth checking out. They just put out an episode about Locke the Superman and it’s great stuff.

he def brings energy, i don't think it would work as well without that. i just absolutely hate his Tomino schtick and that sort of full-of-poo poo behavior can extend to other takes he has too. was very glad to see the Locke ep show up since i made the journey through that stuff a few years ago and i'm curious to compare with them.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Kild posted:

I've seen your Aka's asking Gura to join the Tv Tuner's Podcast.

I would never ask anyone from holomyth on

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

please elaborate
there was the thing with red strings club where the game has a trans character's dead name in it and the (cis) lady reviewing it made an article going NEVER DEAD NAME. EVER. and casting the game as transphobic. surprise! the creators of the game were trans. and also the deadnaming was done by a villain. she fundamentally didnt understand what she did wrong and kept portraying herself as a victim and she 'generously' gave the devs an interview but she portrayed it as 'well, we both made mistakes...'

and this 'controversy' was like 90% of that game's wikipedia page for years until someone finally edited it out.

absolute dogshit thing to put up, leave up, and never apologize for, and i dont trust any of the waypoint chucklefucks as far as i can throw them.

edit: also gita jackson is on that site and she was hugely defensive about how itd be impossible and damaging for kotaku to delete the article where they outed an assault victim against her wishes. so again, just dogshit people. Like you accuse me of not like 'anime content creators' but no I like actually decent content just fine the issue is A) most of the content is terrible and B) most of the content uses chiffon thin wokeness as a veil for terrible, abusive behavior.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 5, 2022

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Actually Ina would be chill

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

I would never ask anyone from holomyth on
I think it would be really funny if, instead of people being mad about calliope mori being on trash taste, they were mad that she was on the tv tuners podcast. just my two cents

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

homeless snail posted:

I think it would be really funny if, instead of people being mad about calliope mori being on trash taste, they were mad that she was on the tv tuners podcast. just my two cents

Lmao yeah

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

all of mori's rap songs just sound like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E24jMmUQrHM to me

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ok thanks

I've only followed the podcast prior, not the site, and haven't listened to it since late 2019 outside of any Eva etc episodes. I have heard Gita sucks though

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

please elaborate

endorph got to it, but if you want a pile of links to the various controversies and (as someone who still follows Waypoint/Austin/etc) a brief take on ways the site was disappointing, there's this: https://medium.com/@Error52/waypoint-please-stop-stepping-on-rakes-a652f230e210

wrt Gita Jackson, she doesn't seem to feature in Waypoint content much at all anymore, but yeah she's at Motherboard and there is some crosspollination between them and Waypoint as Vice verticals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to be clear im not saying youre a bad person if you listen to the waypoint podcast or anything, im just saying im allowed to dismissively make fun of them, imo. i think thats a fair compromise.