Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The best thing someone over 6' can do is insist they are 5'11 around bellends who are smug about being 6' tall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

PYF Big Boi

Jóhann "The Giant" Pétursson (1913-1984) was pretty big (2,34 m or 7 feet 8 inches (I think imperial units confuse me))

Born into poverty in rural Iceland the third of nine children he ruined his feet working long hard fishing trips as a teenager in sea boots that were several sizes too small but soon moved to Europe and joined the circus because the alternative would've been moving between farms being supported by strangers for life as Iceland didn't yet have a functioning welfare system. After a long slump due to World War 2 where he had to use his immense strength working as a stevedore, and further loving up his feet and back, he moved to America and again joined a sideshow.

Originally he was billed as a primitive wild man dressed in caveman furs but he disliked the persona and his treatment by his employers so he crafted his own persona as The Viking Giant and struck out on his own as a independent attraction touring fairgrounds.

His work allowed him a fairly comfortable life and decent income and he spent the off seasons in leisure in his home in Florida but due to his size literally every piece of furniture and bit of clothing had to be custom made which wasn't cheap. But he made enough that he could retire but in his old age he had a bad fall and didn't want to die in America so je had to petition the Icelandic government into giving him a space in a nursing home despite not having the right due to having spent decades abroad. Eventually he as granted a exception because he was relatively famous and spent his last months in a nursing home not far from his old homestead.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 01:43 on Feb 5, 2022

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I’m 6’5” and it kind of sucks but at least I’m not so tall that it’s weird. Mad respect to the Icelandic Viking giant

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I'm 69 nices and it's pretty much the same as 420 pots.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The anti ben shapiro on the right there.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

The anti ben shapiro on the right there.

So his wife is loving drenched I guess???

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

freeedr posted:

So his wife is loving drenched I guess???

Well, I mean look at him.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

There's also a good biographical comic about Andre that includes this little amusing behind the scenes bit from The Princess Bride

Yeah Hogan's an rear end in a top hat but Andre was his friend. There's an excerpt from the comic here which is a straight up interview with Hogan and he talks about how much life sucked for Andre in a lot of ways.

Huh. I wonder if this was a reference to that, or just coincidence...

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

FreudianSlippers posted:

PYF Big Boi

Jóhann "The Giant" Pétursson (1913-1984) was pretty big (2,34 m or 7 feet 8 inches (I think imperial units confuse me))

This dude looks like a Dark Souls boss

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Der Kyhe posted:

Looking at that picture, Andre's arms are the size of Arnold's legs. The dude didn't do a chemical cocktail bodybuilding stuff, because he really didn't need to. Gigantism is a hell on the person suffering from it, especially later in life, but the guy is huge and has more natural strength than any normal-sized bodybuilder could ever hope for.

I mean, that’s basically just a line from the movie.

“It’s not my fault being the biggest and the strongest. I don’t even exercise.”

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

There's also a good biographical comic about Andre that includes this little amusing behind the scenes bit from The Princess Bride

Yeah Hogan's an rear end in a top hat but Andre was his friend. There's an excerpt from the comic here which is a straight up interview with Hogan and he talks about how much life sucked for Andre in a lot of ways.

I legit teared up when Tim White talked about Andre, poor dude was in agony 24/7 :smith: wish I could've met him before he passed, he seemed like a genuinely awesome guy

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

A lot of times the nicest people are in the most pain. The one thing they can control is how they treat other people and often it’s to try to make them not feel the way they do all the time.

Conversely a lot of people in pain try to make other people more miserable than they are. But it’s two sides of the same coin imo.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
As someone who is pretty much always the tallest person in the room and therefore in constant back pain from living in a world meant for shorter people, i can confirm that the above reasoning absolutely did help shape the way i approach life to always try to help others

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
My favorites Andre the Giant anecdote is that the playwright Samuel Beckett (Waiting for Godot) would occasionally drive Andre and siblings to school. They were both fond of cricket and that would be all they'd chat about.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Sentient Data posted:

As someone who is pretty much always the tallest person in the room and therefore in constant back pain from living in a world meant for shorter people, i can confirm that the above reasoning absolutely did help shape the way i approach life to always try to help others

We have to be kind to the Shorts, and always help them get things from the shelf they can't reach. It is the price we pay.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The height derail is over.

Now is the time of the age derail.

These guys are 35 and 34 in this photo.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Tsaedje posted:

The best thing someone over 6' can do is insist they are 5'11 around bellends who are smug about being 6' tall
https://vm.tiktok.com/TTPdkyy8Qo/

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Absolute king poo poo

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Absolute king poo poo
the only time I've ever wanted to be tall just so I could do this

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.

Impossible.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

People used to be older. It is known.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Facebook Aunt posted:

People used to be older. It is known.

People used to smoke and drink heavily. Turns out if you don't do that, you don't age terribly.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Neddy Seagoon posted:

People used to smoke and drink heavily. Turns out if you don't do that, you don't age terribly.

Modern sunscreen helps too.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

and even getting laid must have been like living on another planet for him.

Andre was getting laid one night and didn't close the shades/curtains. One of the wrestlers who witnessed this scene described it "like a lion screwing a rabbit."

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

this is me ten years older than these guys so something else must be at work here because in addition to drinking and smoking there was a larger-than-usual amount of heroin 🤷🏻‍♀️

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Andre was getting laid one night and didn't close the shades/curtains. One of the wrestlers who witnessed this scene described it "like a lion screwing a rabbit."

Oooooh don't threaten me with a good time :grin:

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Maybe you're the Chosen One who can do heroine.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

DicktheCat posted:

Maybe you're the Chosen One who can do heroine.
I am *not*

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

this is me ten years older than these guys so something else must be at work here because in addition to drinking and smoking there was a larger-than-usual amount of heroin 🤷🏻‍♀️

Estradiol is cheating

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
I liked the story of when Andre and a bunch of other wrestlers were at Rick Flair's beachside bar. As they were all sitting around drinking heavily, Blackjack Mulligan just reaches over the table and punches Andre in the face. In response, he picks up Blackjack and Dick Murdoch one in each hand by their throats (each 6ft and ~300lb of muscle) and proceeds to carry them out onto the beach and just start holding them both under the water. It took Flair and a couple other guys to get him to stop. At which point he calmly walked back to the bar, sat back down, and continued drinking.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Philippe posted:

Estradiol is cheating
And progesterone and a vigorous skincare regimen

gently caress getting aging gracefully imma cheat my rear end off

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

In highschool we used to look at the old yearbooks and marvel over how the graduating classes all looked 40 years old

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

yeah but look at that film grain and the lack of makeup or actual styling. that looks like Jonah Hill and a younger Timothy Olyphant if both of them had just pulled some clothes out of wardrobe

neither of them are fully grey, they dont have sunken cheeks or jowls. they look exactly like mid 30's dudes in the 80's looked like. are you all zoomers?

Large Testicles has a new favorite as of 09:50 on Feb 5, 2022

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Large Testicles posted:

yeah but look at that film grain and the lack of makeup or actual styling. that looks like Jonah Hill and a younger Timothy Olyphant if both of them had just pulled some clothes out of wardrobe
Also George Wendt looked not that much different in 2011 🤷🏻‍♀️

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
I mean, Cliff is lookin pretty fuckin hot in that pic for an almost 40 dude. And I'm only a moderately bi, engaged to a woman guy.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mustang posted:

This dude looks like a Dark Souls boss

Oh god play another game.

E: Regarding age, people in the 80s smoked, and smoking basically makes your face look older.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Also the hairstyles and clothes are styles we associate with our parents and grandparents, so we perceive them as older. The recent return of high waisted jeans (what I always called "mom jeans") brought this home to me. There's a Twitter where they go back and Photoshop modern hairstyles on people in old photos and they end up looking a lot younger, now they don't have the same hairstyle your grandma Mildred did your entire childhood.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Imagined posted:

Also the hairstyles and clothes are styles we associate with our parents and grandparents, so we perceive them as older. The recent return of high waisted jeans (what I always called "mom jeans") brought this home to me. There's a Twitter where they go back and Photoshop modern hairstyles on people in old photos and they end up looking a lot younger, now they don't have the same hairstyle your grandma Mildred did your entire childhood.

I kinda want to see this, you got a link?

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Elissimpark posted:

My favorites Andre the Giant anecdote is that the playwright Samuel Beckett (Waiting for Godot) would occasionally drive Andre and siblings to school. They were both fond of cricket and that would be all they'd chat about.

Hahaha I studied Beckett so much in college. How did I never find this? This rules. Thank you for the tidbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://twitter.com/ziibiing/status/1412761827650457602