Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Tiny Timbs posted:

Kinda cooling off just thinking I could hold my laptop up to my face instead

How small is your laptop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

homeless snail posted:

Also a lot of games that do have joystick support like for instance FPSes, you can actually get better aim with the touchpads in trackball mode.

lmfao

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I shant be stuxed. Its True.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

homeless snail posted:

They absolutely are, if you intend to play anything that doesn't have controller support or, even, a lot of games that do. For one you can just, use it as a mouse if you want to play something with a mouse cursor. Its vastly preferable to play idk Civilization with a touchpad than a joystick emulating a mouse. Also a lot of games that do have joystick support like for instance FPSes, you can actually get better aim with the touchpads in trackball mode. Or you can set them up as radial or popup menus, or bind them to regions of the screen or whatever, there's like 12 different ways to bind them in Steam Input.
Civ 5 and 6 have native touch support, though even in that case it's probably more comfortable long term using a touchpad+cursor.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yes allow me to reach over the gigantic bezel on this thing to play Civ on a fuckin 7" touchscreen.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Might be alright laying it down on the table like a tablet.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

SCheeseman posted:

Might be alright laying it down on the table like a tablet.

lol yes. yes!!!!!!!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah, you can do that, or you can use a touchpad, or you could emulate the cursor with a stick, or plug a mouse in, monitor or TV. The versatility is the point stux.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I wish more things except the screen was touch sensitive.

Like the touchpad.

Also my genitals.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

For real though the customization is a big thing for me and steam got it right in a way no other company did.

Like my genitals

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I guess the Switch is versatile too, since you can swap the stock controllers with better ones or buy a better version of the switch that isn't as versatile.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

SCheeseman posted:

I guess the Switch is versatile too, since you can swap the stock controllers with better ones or buy a better version of the switch that isn't as versatile.

I use the Hori Pad so it's pretty much the size of the Deck, so whatever I'm good

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

It's a different machine. The switch gimmick is nice but people who take gaming seriously on the go or trapped in parental duties appreciate the universal gamepad Steam just made real.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Vic posted:

It's a different machine. The switch gimmick is nice but people who take gaming seriously on the go or trapped in parental duties appreciate the universal gamepad Steam just made real.

lol

If you consider yourself trapped from having a kid, just don't have one.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

You literally highlighted the joke and said lol.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Vic posted:

You literally highlighted the joke and said lol.

I thought you were being serious. Can't tell anymore in this timeline.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Makes sense you like stux

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

SCheeseman posted:

Yeah, you can do that, or you can use a touchpad, or you could emulate the cursor with a stick, or plug a mouse in, monitor or TV. The versatility is the point stux.

oh yeaaaha plug a mouse in lol lets go!!! i need to see it when u do it. thank you.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It has a touchpad, in this gamers opinion, you should just use that.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm looking forward to seeing how the touchpad feels as a mouse, at least for browsing

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Well, if we are back with this slap fight.. ui preview concerning the gpu in the system:

https://wccftech.com/steam-deck-new-video-showcases-gpu-tdp-and-other-os-level-settings/

There is a link to a boiling steam article that translates out the settings. But you will be able to set gpu priority just like on a pc (low for battery vs high) and also tdp.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

don't know what that means. hope it's good

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

That's a big boy and i'm seeing it weights 700 grams which seems fine at least? The Wii U gamepad weighted 500 and i never had any problems.

I'm still skeptical of the Deck's ergonomy.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
If anyone has seen people talk about how it sucks to hold that have actually held it then by all means :justpost:

Picture of the Deck is posted -> arm chair goonlords make xbox huge jokes -> actual people with the Deck in their hands go "oh this is actually nice" -> cycle repeats.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I'll take a workout I can get. Hoping for a spindle on the back for extra weight/storage space

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

homeless snail posted:

They absolutely are, if you intend to play anything that doesn't have controller support or, even, a lot of games that do. For one you can just, use it as a mouse if you want to play something with a mouse cursor. Its vastly preferable to play idk Civilization with a touchpad than a joystick emulating a mouse. Also a lot of games that do have joystick support like for instance FPSes, you can actually get better aim with the touchpads in trackball mode. Or you can set them up as radial or popup menus, or bind them to regions of the screen or whatever, there's like 12 different ways to bind them in Steam Input.

This is all, based on my experiences with the Steam Controller which the Steam Deck is directly following in the footsteps of, and can leverage all the bindings people have uploaded to the workshop for. If you're setting out to make a controller that can play All PC Games, that's the way you do it.

I should say I am overall happy they included the touch pads (until proven wrong). I absolutely love the feel of the steam controllers touch pads. The problem I had was spending more time customizing the controls for msg5 than actually playing the game so I gave up.

But since every unit has these things there should be some nice standardization across games. Hopefully!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

My brief encounter with the steam controller can only be described as terrible, but having the touchpads is (was? will be?) a good idea. Trying to use a stick as a mouse substitute is horrible.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Wonder if the touch pads will be too small, felt like the steam controller pads were just the right size

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Oh neat, my studio has a dev kit... Need to try and sneak to it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing how the touchpad feels as a mouse, at least for browsing

If it's anything like the Steam Controller it'll be fantastic.

Kwolok posted:

Run Breathe of the Wild on it and finally lay this thread to rest.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Kwolok posted:

Press down on the left stick to enter stealth mode.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

drat joycon drifters ended up on our steam deck.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

KakerMix posted:

If anyone has seen people talk about how it sucks to hold that have actually held it then by all means :justpost:

Picture of the Deck is posted -> arm chair goonlords make xbox huge jokes -> actual people with the Deck in their hands go "oh this is actually nice" -> cycle repeats.

I have held it. It's considerably more comfortable than the Switch. It is also xbox huge.

The touchscreen is pretty cool, actually. Great for a lot of games if you remember to use it. Stuff like point and click adventure games Thimbleweed Park!) and even RTS games. For AOE4, with the thing on a table or my lap, I used my right hand on the touch screen for left click actions (selecting units and UI elements) and the left side controls to move the camera (dpad) and right click (move units etc). Pretty slick.

The control customization community is going to be nuts.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

ColdPie posted:

The control customization community is going to be nuts.

I believe it. When the Steam Controller first launched I spent weeks trying to make the 'perfect' settings for Mass Effect 1 (I don't think the controller mod existed at the time, so the ME games were still KB&M only on PC), doing all kind of stuff like alternate binds for when in the Mako, on screen menus you use the touchpads with for menu shortcuts and such.

I think after I stopped using the Steam Controller I looked at the most popular ME1 bind a year or two later and it was an offshoot of mine.

EDIT: Ok, just for fun I decided to dig out my Steam Controller and see if there is still much of a community making bindings by looking at some recent releases. Not only do God of War and Horizon: Zero Dawn have default official bindings, but Horizon has actual loving in game support for the Steam Controller

What the gently caress. I can't say I expected that this thing was getting much official support in games an more, much less in Sony's PC ports.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 5, 2022

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That's honestly the most baffling thing I've seen in a while, what the gently caress.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
That owns and has me even more optimistic for native deck controls

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Does it have actual Steam Input support or just a picture of the Steam Controller for the UI?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I didn't play around with it too much to really see what it does, but the back buttons are mappable in game. I only realised it was there because I looked at Horizon's official bindings in Steam and it was just mapped standard, saying A=A, B=B etc, but the back buttons were just mapped as 'back left' and 'back right' or something, which made me think the game would detect them.

Didn't boot God of War to see if that sees the Steam controller, but it's official bindings are all standard except the back left button lets you toggle the right touchpad between analogue emulation and mouse emulation.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
https://www.reddit.com/r/horizon/comments/i5thyj/an_issue_with_horizon_zero_dawns_controller/

Here's a detailed analysis of the native steam controller implementation in Horizon Zero Dawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
My growing belief is that the target market for the Steam Deck is people who like every part of the gaming hobby except actually playing games.