Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Maybe an interviewer could ask Britain's Sweetheart Nadine Dorries what newspapers and magazines she reads.

CKatte Tax:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16VRD4Qt4y0

Only Kindness fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

Liz sent the first shitpost in 1976

I like to imagine that that's an early computer mouse in the bottom right corner :3:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

What do you mean by "my perfect Sunday?"

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I like to imagine that that's an early computer mouse in the bottom right corner :3:

it's a prototype for an alternative to toilet roll and she'd just tried it out

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Nadine is right. From 1995 to 2012 I just sat infront of a blank screen, waiting for something-anything- to happen.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

“send feet pics plz. yrs, Liz”

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I remember having access to the internet in college in the late 90s and at home early-mid 2000s, so even in the sense of the broader population most people have had it for going on 20 years now. Although it'd make perfect sense that by 'we' she means either 'my household' or possibly 'the conservative party.'

We got it at work in the early-mid 90s (well email anyway!).
I was feeling 'left behind' by the mid 90s and got a home computer with... WINDOWS (was DOS before that) and my first home internet (33kb!! upgraded to 56kb a few months later) in 1997 (literally one week before Princess Di died) also had a tv card in it as I hadn't had a tv for several years. I had a windows pc at work before that but they wouldn't let me have a mouse because 'only people playing games need a mouse' so the whole value of a GUI interface passed me by for a couple of years as I still did everything by command line and keyboard shortcuts.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
everyone remembers the unveiling of the internet at 2012 olympics opening ceremony best time ever ever ever!!! :holy:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
it must be when she got her first smart phone the stupid bastard lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It really is impressive how much of a colossal idiot dorries is in every respect.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

jiggerypokery posted:

Boris obviously hired her from Chris Morris' agency for thick people to win arguments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYFQZFL0yoo

lol this rules, I really do need to actually watch Jam, I keep remembering to and then forgetting again

EDIT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t0Ocau-CUg

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
anyone else noticed how the media machine gave us a week of james brokenshire being presented as a saint and a colossus of british politics who died tragically of lung cancer in the prime of his life in his mid-fifties? lol

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

crispix posted:

everyone remembers the unveiling of the internet at 2012 olympics opening ceremony best time ever ever ever!!! :holy:

In fact there was a bit of the ceremony where Tim Berners-Lee was unveiled with fanfare as the inventor of the Web. Nadine must have seen that and thought it was actually him switching it on.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i'm afraid i'd have to say to his crying on television widow that, as a tory mp, your husband was responsible for policies that have others with cancer dying while facing eviction and starvation and you can therefore get it right up you

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
and he looked like smithers

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Guavanaut posted:

"charles is a disappointment."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"hope this new invention doesn't turn my 16 year old son into a nonce lol"

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Say what you like about Nadine Dorres, you can’t deny she’s an early adopter:

https://twitter.com/dj_barc/status/1489960666442215433

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

Say what you like about Nadine Dorres, you can’t deny she’s an early adopter:

https://twitter.com/dj_barc/status/1489960666442215433

So she thinks the internet began on the day she, personally was forced to acknowledge it and her people got her a Twitter account? Sounds about right.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Barry Foster posted:

lol this rules, I really do need to actually watch Jam, I keep remembering to and then forgetting again

EDIT

haha that parody is spot on, especially the punch line. Some of jam didn't age well, there's enough (trigger warning) rape jokes and other shock comedy fillers between the bits of genius.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Trickjaw posted:

Nadine is right. From 1995 to 2012 I just sat infront of a blank screen, waiting for something-anything- to happen.

Ah, an O2 customer then?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

jiggerypokery posted:

haha that parody is spot on, especially the punch line. Some of jam didn't age well, there's enough (trigger warning) rape jokes and other shock comedy fillers between the bits of genius.

Some of Jam did age poorly but some of the shocking moments are still really funny. Like the baby plumbing. Because it's not really laughing at dead babies, it's about grief & how hard it can be to accept the loss of kid. I dunno though. I still think Jam is great because yeah, it definitely pushes the boundaries of good taste but it's never doing it while punching down really.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Ah, an O2 customer then?

No, just that tgat dixons loving Internet. Btw, glad to catch you, as I was reading an old Viz earlier, and Cockley wanker (owright, darlin) referred to being a brit as a labia and clit. As is in Gawd, it meks yer prahd to be a labia an clit. I propose it's inclusion in our lexicon, if we have to use use your barbarbaric language.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Barry Foster posted:

EDIT

Which reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwDka-OqwtI

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Trickjaw posted:

No, just that tgat dixons loving Internet. Btw, glad to catch you, as I was reading an old Viz earlier, and Cockley wanker (owright, darlin) referred to being a brit as a labia and clit. As is in Gawd, it meks yer prahd to be a labia an clit. I propose it's inclusion in our lexicon, if we have to use use your barbarbaric language.

See that's how you can tell it's written by a bunch of Geordies who, if they ever entered London, would explode like one of those angler fish bought to the surface. For a start "mek" is loving Manc bollocks, all vowel sounds become flat As in the (Mark) Noble Tongue. Even more unforgivably he true Cockney would *never* bowlderise, or even shorten, "British". Note that there's no rhyming slang for "British", "Kray Twins", "Queen Mum" or even "Canning Town", as these are the things most beloved to the Cockney Heart.

(Also "barbarbaric"? You think we're all elephants?)

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

See that's how you can tell it's written by a bunch of Geordies who, if they ever entered London, would explode like one of those angler fish bought to the surface. For a start "mek" is loving Manc bollocks, all vowel sounds become flat As in the (Mark) Noble Tongue. Even more unforgivably he true Cockney would *never* bowlderise, or even shorten, "British". Note that there's no rhyming slang for "British", "Kray Twins", "Queen Mum" or even "Canning Town", as these are the things most beloved to the Cockney Heart.

(Also "barbarbaric"? You think we're all elephants?)

that was a typo, but I fear you're missing the joke still. Still, yer fettled, petal.

e: I greatly suspect I have offended you, and I apologise. But everytime I read cockney wanker (owright, darlin?) I think of you, splinting strawbs outside of of wimmmbledun that you have in a lock up in bermondsey. in the NE, we just rob.

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 5, 2022

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Everyone south of Birmingham talks cockney.
Everyone west of Birmingham alternatively talks manc and scouse.
Everyone east of Birmingham talks geordie.
Everyone north of Birmingham talks glaswegian.
Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

happyhippy posted:

Everyone west of Birmingham alternatively talks manc and scouse.

This includes Belfast

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Trickjaw posted:

that was a typo, but I fear you're missing the joke still. Still, yer fettled, petal.

e: I greatly suspect I have offended you, and I apologise. But everytime I read cockney wanker (owright, darlin?) I think of you, splinting strawbs outside of of wimmmbledun that you have in a lock up in bermondsey. in the NE, we just rob.

You didn't offend me with the first one, I was simply correcting Viz.

Now the second one, claiming that I would enter Bermondsey any other way than at shotgun-point in the back of a Jag, that's genuinely offensive and we are enemies now.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You didn't offend me with the first one, I was simply correcting Viz.

Now the second one, claiming that I would enter Bermondsey any other way than at shotgun-point in the back of a Jag, that's genuinely offensive and we are enemies now.

Fair enough. Blind Beggar at midnight?

I know it was knocked down, I daresay it's a spoons by now

we are quite similar, I wouldn't willing go north of my river. In another time, we could have been friends.

But I'm in insipid toryland in Chelmsford now

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 5, 2022

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Trickjaw posted:

Fair enough. Blind Beggar at midnight?

I know it was knocked down, I daresay it's a spoons by now

Nah it was never knocked down, but it is a gastro-pub now. They've at least kept all the original fixtures and fittings and TBH it's not actually that annoying compared to what they did to, say, the Commercial and the Ten Bells on Commercial Street.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nah it was never knocked down, but it is a gastro-pub now. They've at least kept all the original fixtures and fittings and TBH it's not actually that annoying compared to what they did to, say, the Commercial and the Ten Bells on Commercial Street.

That big Sainsburys behind The Blind Beggar, I saw a manager in there sneezing all over the open, uncovered cheeses a few years ago.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
True Covid origin EXPOSED!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
People are loving disGUStang

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Apropos of nothing I just remembered that a long time back, when I worked behind the deli counter at the Cambridge Sainsbury's, I was cutting a bit of cheese for someone when the wire snapped and lashed back across my hand. It wasn't a serious injury but it split the skin and blood went everywhere, and in the moment when I was standing frozen, trying to work out what to do first, the customer - 50s-ish white lady, of course - said angrily "I hope you're not going to sell me that bit!" She was not joking. It was all I could do not to tell her that in that moment I really wasn't loving concerned with her cheese.

I never want to work in any kind of food service again. People are horrible.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Not been in the Bells in years, I used to live 5 mins away from it. What did they do to it? (Guessing ripped out all the old tiles)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Goldskull posted:

Not been in the Bells in years, I used to live 5 mins away from it. What did they do to it? (Guessing ripped out all the old tiles)

They've kept the tiled mural at least, but gutted the rest of the interior - all the old etched glass and paneling is gone, they've ripped out the old gas mantles and replaced them with fake chandeliers, put in a completely pointless island bar, and they've distressed the brasses and woodwork, and slapped up some new tiling that looks like it's from a pie and mash shop.

It's an impulse I've never understood with the gentrifiers, they rip out actual authentic Victorian fixtures and fittings and replace them with a pastiche of what was once there that suggests they just got pissed and tried to remember what the place once looked like. Like at least the Commercial had a design brief that made sense (make it look like a squat - still outrageous vandalism on what was once a really nice pub, but you know, that was what Tarquin had in mind so gently caress it), the Bells literally just tried to badly copy what they'd ripped out.

deano
Sep 6, 2000

jimmy carr is an unfunnty oval office much like rick grevias, the office was poo poo and carrs been uterly wank since he got on tv and most likely before as well.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/CouncilCulture/status/1490044912422825985

:flaccid:

(And yes I noticed that my original caption made no bloody sense so I've gone to the effort of posting another one)

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Say what you like about Ricky Gervais but if you think the office was bad you're insane