Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Evil Willow posted:

drat I love stories with a happy ending!

AITA for making my girlfriend pump her own gas?

My love language is constant passive aggressive lashing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

Terribly sorry to 'do a Kramer' as you USAtanians say.

Does anyone remember when that redditor bought an account to take credit for writing a lot of the really controversial/ridiculous stories here? Had a link to his creative writing site and stuff. I think dog heelies was one at least but there were others, some that were thread favorites.

I'm trying to find the posts but i think it could have been over 6 months ago, in a previous thread incarnation. Anyone remember what I'm talking about, when more exactly it was, or the guys username? Thank you!

Certainly. While looking for content, I found his web site where he talked about posting a couple of the notable fakes and his thought process in designing them. Here is an anchor link to my original post with a link to his site. He shows up shortly after with the username "theshitpostdiaries" and posts a handful of times before moving on to greener pastures if you are interested.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Wow I'm most surprised that I was actually pretty bang on with the 6 month estimate. Thanks for that

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

We finally have a post from the other party's perspective from one of the most common AITA stories.

"We expect unconditional babysitting from our family members. One person said never to ask, but I won't drop it and I drove over without warning and for some reason found pushback trying to shove my baby through the door. The emergency was a work meeting, which everyone has every day".

quote:

AITA for telling my BIL it's cringe to continue saying he's child free whenever I ask him to watch my son?
My wife (27) and I (27) have a 4 year old son, we've been having an incredibly busy work schedule of the last 2 years and family's been doing a great job helping out with our son.

we usually have members of my inlaws take our son whenever we have a work trip or a shift coming up. from my wife's mom to her sister to her dad except for my 31 year old brother in law (wife's brother). He's made it clear he is just not interested in spending time with his nephew, keeps saying that the reason for that is that he's actually "child free". for so many emergencies he has turned me and my wife away when we begged him to watch our son and he didn't even budge or apologize for his attitude.

it all came to head a couple of days ago, I had a work meeting while my wife was out of town and my inlaws were attending a wedding so no one was free to watch my son except for my BIL. I showed up to his place and told him I was desperate for help and needed him to just watch my son for 2 hours. he refused, even suggested I take him with me to work but that's not a good suggestion. I begged him and he just said no. I had enough I confronted him and asked why? does he not like his nephew and he threw that "no it's just that I'm child free" excuse which made me lose it. I told him to just stop because it's cringe of him to keep saying that and use it as an excuse to be unsupportive of me and his sister and cold towards his nephew. I told him he should really do better and stop being so negative but he got mad and said I had no right to disrespect his lifestyle/choices but it's the attitude that gets me. we had a exchange of words where he said my son isn't his responsibility whatsoever then I left.

he complained to my inlaws and they "called me out" for disrespecting their son and treating him like that. They insisted that he's not responsible for my son and I shouldn't expect so much from him then guilt him about it. they wanted me to apologize and my wife said I should but he was about as helpful and supportive as a rock so, I decided I will take my time before I consider apologizing.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Barudak posted:

See this is why I built a tulou, so everyone I was friends with could live in a collective house for the simple agreement they all agree to me as head of the clan and that in times of war I can muster their children for defense.

What shape are you making it in? I dunno if I trust the defensive capabilities of a square one....

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Invisible Clergy posted:

There is no such term. The closest you can get (in terms of how upset a white person will be to hear it) is "racist." And once more, obviously, it describes actual actions, not false stereotypes.

did we forget the y****e discussion already

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Barudak posted:

See this is why I built a tulou, so everyone I was friends with could live in a collective house for the simple agreement they all agree to me as head of the clan and that in times of war I can muster their children for defense.

I learned about toulous from your post, that's a pretty interesting concept and execution.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Scags McDouglas posted:

AITA for telling my BIL it's cringe to continue saying he's child free whenever I ask him to watch my son?

it is a bit of lovely move to show up to someone's doorstep needing a babysitter, but it's a 4 year old just turn on netflix kids and remember to feed them before midnight. also lol asking reddit's opinion on this they were the ones to come up with childfree in the first place

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for keeping my daughter in the house

quote:

I (34F) live with my husband (37M) my daughter (15F) and son (11M), My daughter and son are from a previous marriage. There was no malice in the divorce between my ex and I so we allowed the kids to decide who they would live with, right now me primarily and dad on the weekends. Now about a week ago my husband and I sat the both of them down and announced that I am pregnant and they will be having a little brother or sister. My son was over the moon wanting to feel my stomach, (even though there was nothing to feel) just overall happy.

My daughter on the other hand just gave a small smile and said she was happy for us, My daughter has always been a bit apathetic towards most things and my husband took notice of that quickly after they have met and has brought it up to me a few times. noticing her reaction or lack there of my husband let out a groan and said. "You could at least pretend to be happy, that's what normal people do."

My daughter just looked at him for a few seconds and then left the room without a word. I didn't think much of it until the weekend came and when my ex came for pickup I noticed my daughter had packed more than usual, I knew she was planning on spending more than the weekend and told her to go put some of the clothes back, she refused and tried to leave but I closed the door and told her and my ex she wasn't going. Later that night my ex called ranting about how my daughter had called him crying about how she didn't want to live with me and my husband anymore.

She told him he was mean and drought up the fact that he would often call her 'Sophiopath' -Her name is Sophia - and that I just let him and never stuck up for her. I told him that my husband didn't mean anything by it and that it was all in good fun which is why I didn't say anything. I told my husband about it and told him he needed to apologize for what he said which he did but got visibly frustrated when she just stared at him until he felt to room.

After the weekend was over my ex brought our son back for school and he asked his sister if she was going to living with their dad from now on. My son adores his sister and I know that if she decides to live with their dad he will too. On Monday morning I caught my daughter packing clothes in her back pack, she said her dad was going to pick her up after school and drop her off the next day, since she didn't get to spend the weekend, I told her that she wasn't going to her dad's and that she was staying home from school that day. My daughter called my ex and told him everything and now he's keeps calling saying that we had an agreement and that is she wants to live with him that I have to let her, he threatened to take me to court for custody if I was going to keep her 'locked up like a prisoner'

I don't want to loose my kids and hurt the relationship they have with their stepfather and future sibling over a misunderstanding but I also don't want to go back on my word and have to fight my ex over custody so...am I the a**hole?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Scags McDouglas posted:

We finally have a post from the other party's perspective from one of the most common AITA stories.

"We expect unconditional babysitting from our family members. One person said never to ask, but I won't drop it and I drove over without warning and for some reason found pushback trying to shove my baby through the door. The emergency was a work meeting, which everyone has every day".

People that feel entitled to other people's time and energy are the worst. What is it with these people and not being able to take no for an answer? If he had taken that kid in he would suddenly find himself babysitting for every "meeting" his entitled brother in law had.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Tiberius Christ posted:

it is a bit of lovely move to show up to someone's doorstep needing a babysitter, but it's a 4 year old just turn on netflix kids and remember to feed them before midnight. also lol asking reddit's opinion on this they were the ones to come up with childfree in the first place

Bit of a lovely move? Especially when the person has explained in advance that they aren't interested in babysitting? How can anyone be so entitled that they would expect a reaction other than being laughed at and a door slammed in their face?

If it's a legitimate emergency where someone may be at risk if the BIL doesn't take in the kid on a whim, maybe there's a discussion here. But for a work meeting, and not even an unscheduled meeting at that (presumably OP would have included that detail if it made him look better)? Go gently caress yourself, figure out your own childcare.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The friend fourplex is crazy making. Either roll your landlord monies into a new house or apartment for yourself or accept free babysitting for the most difficult part of parenting and let living with a screaming baby sort itself out naturally.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Xun posted:

What shape are you making it in? I dunno if I trust the defensive capabilities of a square one....

As if it would be square. What self respecting 老大 would be caught in a square one, probably some northerner.

I have a relative who effectively built one in their hometown in a decently bustling area for family and his personal friends and their families. It is an absolute maze of rural chinese concrete construction and everytime he's like do you want to inherit it I have to ponder if growing a long beard and getting good with a guandao is still feasible in my lifetime.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This person is absolutely garbage and I hope her daughter can leave. In the comments, she's claiming total innocence (she never had a problem with her daughter not being very emotive and how was she to know her daugther didn't like the name if her daughter said nothing?)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

the holy poopacy posted:

did we forget the y****e discussion already

Yaddle?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Barring a conservative, old judge in a rural area, this lady is gonna get her poo poo absolutely wrecked in court.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Shhhh!!! We don't speak of... What happened.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The friend fourplex is crazy making. Either roll your landlord monies into a new house or apartment for yourself or accept free babysitting for the most difficult part of parenting and let living with a screaming baby sort itself out naturally.

Nobody really wants a ton of people in their house when they have a newborn.

BigSexy
Apr 21, 2020

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

lol what she has every right to ask them to leave. Giving 4 months is plenty of time. I’m guessing it’s more the $250 monthly rent than anything else. Any sane person would already plan to move out if there’s going to be a baby around

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I know we had this post before but not all of the updates. This guy's version of reality is really sureal.

Me [35 M] with my wife [29F] of five years, wants a divorce after I requested a paternity test.

quote:

I met my wife through a mutual friend. We were friends for a year or so before we both became single and decided we were compatible enough to date. We were together 2 years before we got married.

I do not know what got into me. My wife is loyal, faithful, but I had been reading statistics about how many men are raising children that aren't their own and had absolutely no idea around the time she found out she was pregnant. We both wanted children, we weren't actively preventing it.

About 3 months in, I couldn't take it anymore and told her I wanted a paternity test. She asked me if I was accusing her of cheating. I said yes. She asked me why... and I couldn't answer her. Neither of us has ever cheated or been cheated on. She works very hard, long hours at her job, but has always let me know where she is/who she will be with. If she was going somewhere with friends, I was always welcomed. I do not know why I did this, and it's tearing me up.

She told me she'd gladly give me my paternity test, but that she was moving back to her mother's until that time because she didn't know if she wanted to continue the marriage.

She got an amniocentesis test at about 20 weeks. I'm the father, and when she told me, I was so happy. But she wasn't. She told me that she felt like she fell out of love with me the minute I asked her and that she had no desire to reconcile.

Our daughter was born July 10th. My wife has gone through a lawyer and has started through the motions of divorce and issues of custody. She has since gotten her own apartment.

She said she wants to keep this "as amicable" as possible for the sake of our daughter... but I just want to be a family. She doesn't want support or alimony because she makes more than enough to cover herself and our daughter's needs and live a comfortable life.

It's taken since February to even get her to soften her stance and even think about counseling. She said she loves me, but she isn't sure she can get over this.

Now I'm trying to think of how to fix this, and I'm just such a broken mess. I want to prepare a list to talk about on Monday at counseling, but I just can't think of anything but apologizing and that hasn't made a difference in the past months, I don't think it would now.

tl;dr: Didn't suspect wife of infidelity, but paranoia made me ask for a paternity test. After months of separation, she's agreed to counseling. What can I do to fix this?
UPDATE 1

quote:

I got to sit down with my wife during my visit with my daughter while she was napping.

She says that this was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Here is why she "went nuclear" as a lot of people said. As much as this hurt, I needed to hear it:

I had trouble trusting her our whole relationship, despite the fact she had never cheated on me or any exes. She's caught me snooping through her phone/e-mail/work laptop before, and because she deals with privileged information, she says I open her up to liabilities with her clients. No, I have never found anything incriminating.

She has never hidden anything except work related things because of confidentiality. Her bank accounts, credit card information, phone records were always open to me because she's caught me snooping before and she wanted to assuage my fears.

I had recently installed Tinder on my phone and she had caught me on OKCupid 6 months ago (her best friend sent her my profile,) so the thinks that this is me projecting.

She got upset about the hypocritical-ness of it all; while she had to be fully open to me, but she says I never showed her the same courtesy and always bitched at her about my "privacy." I had my phone passcoded (I would get upset if she did the same,) and I'd get angry with her if she went into my computer/e-mail for any reason, even if it was bill related.

She said what really made her not want to work on it was some of the following:

She felt no support from me at all before the test. She would come over every other day and talk to me, but I was "cold" to her and that she tried to work on it in the beginning. She said my aloofness made her not care.

I refused to help her cover the co-pay for the amniocentesis. She said this was pettiness that made her feel this way, but she was going to get an amniocentesis test anyway because she's paranoid about birth defects and her insurance didn't deem it medically necessary.

I went on a few dates after she moved out and she found out. She considered it cheating because she had been attempting to work on our marriage at that point, and had even made counseling appointments (that I refused to attend until she got the paternity test.) I didn't remember about this and didn't include it in my last post.

She said she's willing to work on the marriage, but she said that it has to be as open both ways and she isn't willing to move back in with me right away. I have to give her the passcode to my phone and delete Tinder. I do not want to give her the passcode to my phone because I think I deserve my privacy.

Her other condition is personal therapy as well as the couples counseling. I don't want to do this, either, because as many of you have pointed out that there's nothing wrong with wanting to be sure.

tl;dr: I spoke with my wife. She is willing to work on the marriage, but with conditions.
UPDATE 2:

quote:

I realize now that I'm not exactly someone you want to sympathize with, and I'm sorry. I do love Marissa and want to be a better husband and father.

But I will not get that chance. In therapy, our therapist had us lay everything out on the table, and I admitted that I was an unfair hypocrite. She admitted that she's happier without me, despite being a single mother for all intents and purposes.

We attempted to talk it through, with her laying out her terms to re-enter the marriage. I still I feel I did not cheat on her because she left me with no discussion of terms, she feels I cheated because we were still married and actively discussing her eventually rebuilding her trust in me and moving back home.

We agreed to try another therapy session, but Tuesday morning she cancelled it and she filed for divorce.

We had dinner that night. She told me she was sorry, but she didn't think it would work because her trust at this point was irrevocably broken.

I told her it was okay. We sat down and talked about visitation until she leaves in January, when she will be moving to her home state with an opportunity that grants her more money and better benefits, including on-site daycare.

She told me she harbors no hard feelings towards me, but she wishes it hadn't ended this way. I told her it didn't have to, but she disagreed and said it did.

I told her I'd give her access to my phone and such, but the fact that I did that to her left a sour taste in her mouth about it, and she doesn't want a relationship where it's considered normal to not share/rifle through the other person's things for "no reason," as she put it.

We agreed on child support, and we will get it in writing. I make a comparable amount to what she will be making, so we agreed to split Baby's expenses. Baby will be on her insurance. I gave her a check for the amount for the amino.

Anything else we can think of? I know there's no chance of getting my wife back now, but how can I be a good dad to Baby long distance? We talked about me eventually moving to be in proximity (she made sure to emphasize for baby, that we will not be getting back together,) but I'm locked into a contract until next December at least.

tl;dr: Wife pulled the divorce trigger. How can I be a good Dad to my child long distance?

I accused my wife of cheating at every corner, snooped through her computer, went on tinder before splitting up and dates after, she wants to reconcile but I deserve my privacy and don't want to give her access to my phone. Guys why is she being unreasonable and not getting back together with me?

(Yes everyone should have privacy but the hypocrisy is amazing.)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Barudak posted:

I have a relative who effectively built one in their hometown in a decently bustling area for family and his personal friends and their families. It is an absolute maze of rural chinese concrete construction and everytime he's like do you want to inherit it I have to ponder if growing a long beard and getting good with a guandao is still feasible in my lifetime.

I’m now picturing an East Asian version of that up house

BigSexy
Apr 21, 2020

Hughlander posted:

I know we had this post before but not all of the updates. This guy's version of reality is really sureal.

Me [35 M] with my wife [29F] of five years, wants a divorce after I requested a paternity test.

UPDATE 1

UPDATE 2:

I accused my wife of cheating at every corner, snooped through her computer, went on tinder before splitting up and dates after, she wants to reconcile but I deserve my privacy and don't want to give her access to my phone. Guys why is she being unreasonable and not getting back together with me?

(Yes everyone should have privacy but the hypocrisy is amazing.)

That dude is a dumbass and there’s definitely more to the story. He forgot he got on tinder and went on several dates? I wonder what the real story is in these cases where people paint themselves in the best possible light and still look like assholes

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tiberius Christ posted:

You sound like someone who's never seen a four year old in a non-childproofed environment. That's easily old enough to break stuff for no reason and jam things into sockets.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Shirec posted:

This person is absolutely garbage and I hope her daughter can leave. In the comments, she's claiming total innocence (she never had a problem with her daughter not being very emotive and how was she to know her daugther didn't like the name if her daughter said nothing?)

My strange daughter, the only emotionally closed off sullen teenager in the entire world.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Invisible Clergy posted:

Certainly. While looking for content, I found his web site where he talked about posting a couple of the notable fakes and his thought process in designing them. Here is an anchor link to my original post with a link to his site. He shows up shortly after with the username "theshitpostdiaries" and posts a handful of times before moving on to greener pastures if you are interested.

Thanks for sending me on a hilarious rabbit hole. I just lurk but lots of confirmation. Some really funny replies.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

BigSexy posted:

That dude is a dumbass and there’s definitely more to the story. He forgot he got on tinder and went on several dates? I wonder what the real story is in these cases where people paint themselves in the best possible light and still look like assholes

Another Rational Man blowing up his entire life because he has a Feeling.

None of these dudes ever think to just cheek-swab the baby on the dl and get some peace of mind secretly.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pondex posted:

None of these dudes ever think to just cheek-swab the baby on the dl and get some peace of mind secretly.

I have a feeling that wouldn't support their end goal, which not only includes checking paternity but also treating their wife like a piece of poo poo to "put them in their place" or some other narcissistic/redpill/pua kind of thing.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

I have a feeling that wouldn't support their end goal, which not only includes checking paternity but also treating their wife like a piece of poo poo to "put them in their place" or some other narcissistic/redpill/pua kind of thing.

some of them are just insecure but this guy 100% hates women and can't stand the idea of treating his wife as an equal

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

the holy poopacy posted:

some of them are just insecure but this guy 100% hates women and can't stand the idea of treating his wife as an equal

I am baffled that he thinks he can just ... get forgiven with no work on his part? Reading his tone, he comes across as not even a little contrite. Very "everyone is at fault here" because she won't forgive and move on.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

ccubed posted:

Thanks for sending me on a hilarious rabbit hole. I just lurk but lots of confirmation. Some really funny replies.

You're welcome.

Pondex posted:

I love it when these redpill mra pieces of poo poo self-destruct like this. It's so funny.

I'm sure some of those men do that, but guys like that would have 0 reason to post about it on reddit, so like happy polycules, we don't hear about them. Sampling bias.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I’ll never be able to meet someone whose name is some variation of Sophia again without thinking “Sophiopath” to myself. Thanks, thread.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for ruining my work colleagues wedding and getting them arrested?

quote:

The title sounds bad, but hear me out.

I (38f) had 2 work colleagues, Mary and Adam (both in their late 20s-early 30s). Mary started in the company first and then she got Adam to join, they worked in different departments and Mary was in mine. Later, Mary left the company to pursue another carrier. When they started at the company, they were already married for a few years.

Now Mary is the kindest and loveliest person I've ever met. She was always polite, helpful and would cheer anyone up. We missed her dearly. So it came to a shock when we found out she is divorcing Adam because he has cheated on her. I have called her to express how sorry I am that this has happened to her and we were talking almost daipy ever since. I was impressed how well Mary holds herself in such situation, she wouldn't bad mouth Adam and the only thing she mentioned was how her wedding dress and a few family heirlooms went missing when she was moving her stuff from their apartment. She thought they might be misplaced in a different box and will turn up eventually.

A few years passed, I now work in the same department as Adam. He is a good work colleague but can be dismissive and ignorant sometimes. Adam invited me to his wedding with the lady, "Chelsea" he cheated on Mary with. As the entire department was invited, I said yes, making sure Mary is OK with this. I've also told her where the wedding will be. (It's not too far from where she lives and we could go for some drinks after if she wanted to)

On the day of Adams wedding, I have noticed that Chelsea is wearing a similar dress that Mary worn in the photos of hers and Adams wedding years ago. So without thinking I have snapped a picture and send it to Mary with the caption saying: "doesn't this dress looks familiar?". Mary saw the message but she didn't respond and about an hour later the police shown up at the venue.

I need to add the police in our country is ruthless and any theft is considered a criminal matter for the police to deal with. Police has asked Chelsea to take the dress and all the jewellery off, Chelsea refused and started arguing with them, and then Adam joined in. As they were rude to the police, they were taken to the police station. Everyone at the wedding had to leave. I have tried to call Mary but she wouldn't pick up the phone.

As we found out later Chelsea was wearing Mary's wedding dress and her heirlooms, Mary spotted them on her in the picture I sent to her and called the police. Apparently, she has previously asked Adam if he had them, and he declined, saying he never saw them. So after she saw the picture she knew he was lying and stole them. Chelsea had to leave the wedding dress and jewelery at the police station and go home wearing her underwear and Adams jacket after they were bailed out.

Yesterday Adam returned to the office and went completely mental at me, blaming me for sending a picture to Mary and ruining his wedding, he would also call me an rear end in a top hat for what I did.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mx. posted:

AITA for ruining my work colleagues wedding and getting them arrested?

Let this be true, please please please.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

quote:

I need to add the police in our country is ruthless and any theft is considered a criminal matter for the police to deal with

Unlike your country where cops are totes OK with theft?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

nashona posted:

"It's a civil matter."

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

nashona posted:

Sounds like a civil matter to me.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for going to meet my in-laws, who my husband has never introduced me to, with his sister?

quote:

I married my husband after dating for a short time. He never introduced me to his family, even though he’s close to them and visits them multiple times a year. Whenever I asked him why, he would always tell me it wasn’t the right time yet and he would take me to see them one day.

I met his sister when she showed up on our doorstep out of the blue. She had no idea I existed and according to her neither did the rest of his family.

I like his sister a lot and it was her idea for me to meet my in-laws since my husband didn’t seem to want to introduce me to them anytime soon. She told me some of their family would be in the city, including their parents, and she would introduce me to them if I wanted to meet them. My husband isn’t home at the moment, so I decided to go.

We went to dinner and it was awkward but they were very nice. They were upset my husband hadn’t told them he was married and because we hadn’t invited them to the wedding but they said they didn’t blame me for it.

After, I received a call from my husband who was furious I had gone to dinner with his family without telling him first.

I have a feeling this is going to turn out very much like the pregnant wife who's in-laws/husband was convinced she'd die in childbirth... We'll just never hear from her again and know the worse has happened.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

nashona posted:

That's all countries: cops protect private property (a wendy's) not personal property (your family heirlooms) which is one of many reasons we do not need them.

WIBTA if I report my neighbors for weed?

quote:

UPDATE: I want to thank everyone who commented and gave good advice (i.e. letting me know I would be the rear end in a top hat but telling me other alternative ways to solve the issue), instead of just telling me I suck and should go die. I just want to clarify that I believe the criminalization of drugs is stupid, and that I only don’t want to be constantly smelling weed all the time and wasn’t sure what to do since I haven’t ever had reasonable neighbors. What I’m planning to do now is save up for an air purifier to see if that will help, and then if it doesn’t I’m going to talk to my neighbors about ways to lessen the smell seepage. If all else fails, I will be reporting then to management, however, because it is against the rules to smoke in our complex.

Original Post:

Our downstairs neighbors smoke weed every day and it seeps into our apartment and stinks like hell. We are from a state where weed is legal, so we don’t think people should be criminalized for it, but the state we moved to is not so lenient and you can get in real trouble. The problem is, I want to report our neighbors for constantly smoking weed but I don’t want them to get in trouble with the law. I just want them to stop causing our apartment to stink.

I haven’t talked to them about it because I find it hard to believe that they would be like “okay, we’ll stop smoking weed even thought it’s a daily habit for us,” and if I talk to them and they blow us off, and then I report them, they will know it was us and could retaliate.

I’m not sure what to do, because obviously smoking weed is against apartment policy, so it was reasonable for us to expect to not have to smell it when we moved in (and I’ve smelled a good amount of weed in our previous state, but this stuff is particularly rank—the kind that really smells skunky), and honestly when we first moved in it was only like once or twice a week, so it wasn’t that bad and we could deal. But now it is almost every single day.

I feel like reporting them might be my best option anyway, but WIBTA if I do?

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 6, 2022

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Wouldn't report a neighbour for smoking weed at any costs, but the house attached to ours was a grow op at one point and the stench was wild.

House ops here tend to break into electrics to get power so I considered at least putting in a call to the building inspectors in case they burned the unit down. Eventually decided to wait until they had harvested and moved on, but somebody else must have made the call because it got raided a few weeks later and a pair of very glum looking chaps in a BMW sat at the end of our road watching the coppers cart away bag after bag of plants and grow kit.

Apparently the family renting there had let "a mate from work" sub-let their upstairs and he'd smashed all the walls through to make it into one big grow room. They knew nothing about any of this, or about the strange blokes wandering in at all times of night with bags of fertiliser, obviously.

My only takeaway was that it was amazing how much my electric jumped after they left because we actually had to use the heating for a change. Also that everybody involved (coppers and growers) had to put in a shitload of pointless time and effort that could just be avoided by legalising and legislating it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

My roommate (and friend) smells awful and I don’t know how to bring it up with her.

quote:

We’re friends and we live together. She’s kind of one of those naturalist women who doesn’t shave her pits or legs or anything. But she has a fairly professional job where it’s unacceptable to have body odor. Every morning when she comes out of her room, she smells absolutely terrible to the point that I need to hold my breath. There’s also a smell coming from her room, similar to her body smell. I don’t care if her room is messy, but I care that it smells out into the hallway when her door is open. She has plenty of time to shower (she’s home from work at like 3:30pm). She’s very nice and we have a zero drama relationship. So this is a super awkward topic. And I really don’t know what to do about it. Any suggestions?