Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hexigrammus posted:

There wouldn't even be anyone lobbing explosives during the operation.

Give the occupation another week and there might be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Hexigrammus posted:

Does Canada's military not have the equipment and expertise to extract large pieces of heavy machinery from swamps? Semi tractors on pavement should be a piece of cake. There wouldn't even be anyone lobbing explosives during the operation.

Buddy, I wouldn't even trust them alone in a room with a woman.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Another Bill posted:

Buddy, I wouldn't even trust them alone in a room with a woman.

lol

I really don't want the military sent in, that's one hell of an escalation

Just stop the loving fuel and water going in, if they can't run their heaters all night they'll have to leave

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The army is not going in. Ever. Period.

1) yes they have heavy wreckers that can tow tanks, tractor trailers are easy

2) you cannot use local units. So you'd have to use east/west coast units for Ottawa, central for Alberta, etc.

3) the logistics would be a nightmare

4) the optics would be hilarious

5) guaranteed there would be some troops disobeying lawful orders and court challenges

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

MA-Horus posted:

Just watch me.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

eXXon posted:

Just watch me.

Justin is not Pierre

Truckfucklers are not the FLQ

The scenarios are completely different

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

MA-Horus posted:

1) yes they have heavy wreckers that can tow tanks, tractor trailers are easy

2) you cannot use local units. So you'd have to use east/west coast units for Ottawa, central for Alberta, etc.

3) the logistics would be a nightmare

4) the optics would be hilarious

5) guaranteed there would be some troops disobeying lawful orders and court challenges

Yep. We have an old-fashioned civilian vs civilian fight on our hands.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

MA-Horus posted:

Could you explain this point? I understood the others but I don't know why you can't use local units

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Soldiers with guns
In our cities
In Canada

We did not make this up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unNZtCH9Mdo

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Servetus posted:

Could you explain this point? I understood the others but I don't know why you can't use local units

I would expect this to only actually matter in dictatorships where local units may be sympathetic and join a riot instead of suppressing it. That said our military is probably so unreliable and small that you have to import soldiers from other provinces, truly a mark of a first world nation with a strong government and military.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

And the idea that you'd need out of town units to suppress the rioters seems particularly odd given that the protesters are at least claiming to be non local themselves...

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Toronto only needs a tiny bit more snow before the army is called in anyways. Might as well make it a twofer.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Servetus posted:

You don't particularly want cpl Joe bloggins from your local army reserve unit to be a target because he hosed up your trukk equity with a heavy wrecker

Personal anecdote time: i was in a reserves unit in Hamilton during the start of the Caledonia occupation, when there was talk about sending in the army to clear out the occupiers. Some morons in my unit were vocal about how excited they were to go bust some skulls, until our CO calmly explained how loving stupid that was, and IF the army did go in it would be a Reg Force unit from Quebec or the Prairies.

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 5, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The really stupid thing is that any need or desire for the armed forces could've been easily avoided by simply enforcing the law early on. People have a right to protest; trucks do not. Let the people protest as is legally allowed provided it's peaceful, but it was ridiculous from the point that there was a concerted effort to use physically damaging levels of noise (something that would be considered torture if done by a government) on a sustained basis, to consider this a simple protest.

The Ottawa police failed, hard.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/...rd-gauthier.php

The organizer for the Quebec City protest is complaining that the police is being too harsh because they're actually giving out tickets.

quote:

Certains conducteurs tournaient donc en rond autour de la colline Parlementaire en klaxonnant. Un camionneur présent s’est plaint qu’on lui avait imposé une amende de 1000 $ pour avoir donné des coups de klaxon, après avoir été averti par les policiers de ne pas le faire. D’autres participants du convoi ont affirmé avoir été délogés d’un stationnement par les policiers.

Lol. These idiots are just running around aimlessly in their trucks, getting 1k$ tickets for every honk. Good poo poo.

https://twitter.com/SPVQ_police/status/1489706298283278337

SPVQ announces that no camping will be tolerated, and that includes makeshift sheds and people sleeping in trucks.

Not a fan of police, but Quebec City isn't loving around. In fairness, this is the Carnaval week-end and Quebec City LOVES its Carnaval.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

quote:

Certains conducteurs tournaient donc en rond autour de la colline Parlementaire en klaxonnant. Un camionneur présent s’est plaint qu’on lui avait imposé une amende de 1000 $ pour avoir donné des coups de klaxon, après avoir été averti par les policiers de ne pas le faire. D’autres participants du convoi ont affirmé avoir été délogés d’un stationnement par les policiers.

"que est-ce vous allez faire? Me donnez une amande?" -Homme qui a recu une amande

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
This clip of Chris Sky being mean to cops until they retreat en masse is unbelievable.

https://twitter.com/Gray_Mackenzie/status/1489964859450134528

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

MA-Horus posted:

You don't particularly want cpl Joe bloggins from your local army reserve unit to be a target because he hosed up your trukk equity with a heavy wrecker

Personal anecdote time: i was in a reserves unit in Hamilton during the start of the Caledonia occupation, when there was talk about sending in the army to clear out the occupiers. Some morons in my unit were vocal about how excited they were to go bust some skulls, until our CO calmly explained how loving stupid that was, and IF the army did go in it would be a Reg Force unit from Quebec or the Prairies.
This quote shows that lower leadership might have a clue. And your previous posts show why it would be a bad idea to send in the military.
But, I've yet to see anything from upper leadership that shows they know what they're doing, or that they consider such things.
Basically, I think your assertions that it won't happen gives too much credit to the clowns that allowed this to carry on this far.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
I think even Trudeau knows sending in the military would be the worst possible response because it would perfectly play into the Flu Trux Klan's victimhood complex and only bolster their resolve.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
https://twitter.com/hsinskip/status/1489989417477496834

Cops and the city have given up.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

How does this even happen, what the gently caress

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Imagine Jan 6 except Congress's isn't there and instead there fled to their homes and the protestors are just given free reign to do whatever they want for weeks

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Gros Tarla posted:

How does this even happen, what the gently caress
We treated the cops like they could do no wrong and their annual budget increase was sacred and inviolable for decades?

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

DynamicSloth posted:

We treated the cops like they could do no wrong and their annual budget increase was sacred and inviolable for decades?

Yeah, I know, but still. You'd think they'd want to minimally save face by uh.. not allowing horsemen to roam and pillage the capital.

The worse part is that all of this will likely lead to further increase in police funding under the guise of security.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Excuse the dumb question from an American, but where the gently caress are Canadian antifascists throughout all this? The only tale of anyone resisting the occupation I've spotted are a handful of residents blocking their street to the convoy.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Excuse the dumb question from an American, but where the gently caress are Canadian antifascists throughout all this? The only tale of anyone resisting the occupation I've spotted are a handful of residents blocking their street to the convoy.

Anyone who can afford to live in Ottawa is probably a white supremacist, let's be real here.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

Most of the left wing orgs in Ottawa told their people to stay off the streets, there's very little to do against several thousand Fash with vehicles, an unknown number of guns, and full support from the police. Trucks get vandalized in the night, and egged in daylight, but the police presence limits the amount of resistance that is possible. No point in getting beaten down and arrested, or killed, when there is no chance of making an impact. The police have officers all over downtown, and the convoy's staging area is immediately east of RCMP headquarters: any active resistance must be covert or it will be smashed by the cops.

Bleck posted:

Anyone who can afford to live in Ottawa is probably a white supremacist, let's be real here.

gently caress Off!

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

This pretty much ends any belief I have in a functional government and rule of law in western countries.
It was all a mirage built on people following polite suggestions rather than ironclad rules.

It’s clear the police support this bullshit and there’s a double standard here. If any climate activist group tried to pull this poo poo the cops would be out there smashing heads. So the message is loud and clear. You have all the rights in the world as long as you’re white, old and a right winger. Or you have access to heavy machinery.

I’m amazed the black bloc hasn’t shown up yet with Molotov cocktails.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Why don't the Ottawa locals drive them out on their own? The protesters are sitting in the middle of enemy territory and are extremely vulnerable. Get to work, Ottawa.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Servetus posted:

Most of the left wing orgs in Ottawa told their people to stay off the streets, there's very little to do against several thousand Fash with vehicles, an unknown number of guns, and full support from the police. Trucks get vandalized in the night, and egged in daylight, but the police presence limits the amount of resistance that is possible. No point in getting beaten down and arrested, or killed, when there is no chance of making an impact. The police have officers all over downtown, and the convoy's staging area is immediately east of RCMP headquarters: any active resistance must be covert or it will be smashed by the cops.
Thanks.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when American CHUDs inevitably try to copycat this. I'd be surprised if trucks weren't torched in the night, police presence or not.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Why don't the Ottawa locals drive them out on their own? The protesters are sitting in the middle of enemy territory and are extremely vulnerable. Get to work, Ottawa.

Seriously. Even a basic one page primer on urban warfare would be enough to get rid of these fuckers. They’re fragile privileged white men. It’s a paper tiger that will cower and retreat at the first sign of serious violent opposition. They’re just used to getting away with everything because of their obvious privilege.

When G8 protestors and climate protestors tried to occupy territory the cops would wipe up and start destroying water supplies, kettling protestors and marching in with full riot gear to bust heads.

Here there’s nothing. The message being sent here is the government is too weak to stop, unable to control the police anymore or is actively supporting it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Because the cops would almost certainly spring into action against any counter-protesting.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'd be surprised if trucks weren't torched in the night, police presence or not.
Honestly, I had a shower thought today wondering how long it will take before someone who hasn't slept since this started and has nowhere else to go basically goes mental and chucks a molotov cocktail or some other improvised weapon from their condo balcony at some chud's truck.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Cugel the Clever posted:

Hopefully you're going to see a LOT of antifascists coming out to play this afternoon. Orders be damned.

I'm heading down to the Toronto counter rally shortly, with a camera. I don't plan on getting too 'into it' but who knows.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Sashimi posted:

Honestly, I had a shower thought today wondering how long it will take before someone who hasn't slept since this started and has nowhere else to go basically goes mental and chucks a molotov cocktail or some other improvised weapon from their condo balcony at some chud's truck.
That unlicensed fuel cache in one of the twitter pics earlier screamed "HUGE FIRE HAZARD" at me, and got me worried of the same.

Hope your city doesn't burn, Ottawa goons. (sincerely, wishing you stay safe.)

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

B33rChiller posted:

That unlicensed fuel cache in one of the twitter pics earlier screamed "HUGE FIRE HAZARD" at me, and got me worried of the same.

Hope your city doesn't burn, Ottawa goons. (sincerely, wishing you stay safe.)

They moved it from the place right next to the NAC, but they still have it in a different location, I'm worried the new location may be closer to where people live. With all that propane and diesel in a small space it's really more of an actual bomb than just a fire hazard, which is one reason I'm thankful we haven't resorted to molotovs yet; a lot of innocent people in those buildings could get hurt if a spark catches and that all goes at once.

Servetus fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 5, 2022

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

ilmucche posted:

"que est-ce vous allez faire? Me donnez une amande?" -Homme qui a recu une amande

This is good content.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I'm going to be honest, I don't think anything that violent is necessary to disperse these chucklefucks. You get somebody throwing water balloons on them, or slashing their tires and they're going to scatter.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kraftwerk posted:

Seriously. Even a basic one page primer on urban warfare would be enough to get rid of these fuckers. They’re fragile privileged white men. It’s a paper tiger that will cower and retreat at the first sign of serious violent opposition. They’re just used to getting away with everything because of their obvious privilege.

When G8 protestors and climate protestors tried to occupy territory the cops would wipe up and start destroying water supplies, kettling protestors and marching in with full riot gear to bust heads.

Here there’s nothing. The message being sent here is the government is too weak to stop, unable to control the police anymore or is actively supporting it.
The basic concept behind people's war is to maintain the support of the population and draw the enemy deep into enemy territory where their supply lines are vulnerable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

KingKalamari posted:

I'm going to be honest, I don't think anything that violent is necessary to disperse these chucklefucks. You get somebody throwing water balloons on them, or slashing their tires and they're going to scatter.

It's my opinion that cold water could be dangerous given the temperatures. I advise a body-temperature liquid.