Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’m getting it to play games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

:same:

Really only at work though and if I didn’t have a job where that was possible I’d still get it but it wouldn’t get used much

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm going to do it, I'm going to play games on the Steam Deck

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Wow, this thing plays games too?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Wow, this thing plays games too?

No, we have exhaustively established that it is not, in fact, powerful enough to emulate a Nintendo Switch.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Tweaking Steam controller settings is gaming.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

pseudorandom name posted:

No, we have exhaustively established that it is not, in fact, powerful enough to emulate a Nintendo Switch.

Have you seen the graphics in Mario golf? Maybe in a few more years.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

doingitwrong posted:

My growing belief is that the target market for the Steam Deck is people who like every part of the gaming hobby except actually playing games.

It's literally perfect for me!!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

doingitwrong posted:

My growing belief is that the target market for the Steam Deck is people who like every part of the gaming hobby except actually playing games.

Like stux said, its a computer.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
So I can dock this thing and play it on my TV right? It's basically a Switch with better graphics and Steam instead of the Nintendo store?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

So I can dock this thing and play it on my TV right? It's basically a Switch with better graphics and Steam instead of the Nintendo store?

Yes.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

You can but it’s not going to display at 1080p like the Switch does in TV mode.

Given that we now know you can adjust the TDP at will there’s a chance maybe you could set up some custom profile to up the voltage while it’s plugged into USB-C, but that would also take some doing, and nobody knows for sure yet.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Pirate Jet posted:

Given that we now know you can adjust the TDP at will there’s a chance maybe you could set up some custom profile to up the voltage while it’s plugged into USB-C, but that would also take some doing, and nobody knows for sure yet.

Source? It's going to be like connecting any monitor to a PC.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

I would be surprised if they don't let you output at other resolutions. Why wouldn't they?

And if they don't let you increase the TDP while plugged into wall power out of the box, other people will hack it to do so. However, cooling will be a concern here. It remains to be seen if the device can handle that much power.

It's not going to be a switch-like streamlined experience though. This thing is a PC, and it will require a bit of tinkering to get it to do exactly what you want.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

v1ld posted:

Tweaking Steam controller settings is gaming.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

It is yeah

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The difference here is you're going to have to turn down the render resolution yourself, rather than have the switch do it automatically.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The true Switch experience is playing between 15 and 24 frames

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I would be surprised if they don't let you output at other resolutions. Why wouldn't they?

And if they don't let you increase the TDP while plugged into wall power out of the box, other people will hack it to do so. However, cooling will be a concern here. It remains to be seen if the device can handle that much power.

It's not going to be a switch-like streamlined experience though. This thing is a PC, and it will require a bit of tinkering to get it to do exactly what you want.

That’s what I was saying. The Deck can output at other resolutions, but its native res it was engineered around is 800p, and it’s not going to switch to 1080p unless you tell it to do so - or get a performance boost when plugged in like the Switch does unless, again, you tell it to do so.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I bet resolution switching will happen automatically like it does with any other PC. edit: some games could be confused by display switching happening mid-game though.

Actually running games smoothly at higher resolutions will be tricky for the Steam Deck. Its 800p display is key to modern AAA games running at an acceptable frame rate. Bumping up to even 1080p will make a lot of modern games run noticeably worse. Which means you'll be upscaling the image from a lower resolution on your TV, and it probably won't look pretty. Older or lower-fidelity games will probably be fine at 1080p though.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 6, 2022

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah there's vanishingly few games you would want to render at 1080p on the Steam Deck but, my second hand understanding is that gamescope insulates the game running inside it from the actual environment so if your desktop resolution switched the game would continue happily running at 720p (or lower) internally and gamescope would scale it, optionally via FSR, to your output resolution. While all the system level stuff outside of gamescope would render at 1080p or whatever.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

homeless snail posted:

Yeah there's vanishingly few games you would want to render at 1080p on the Steam Deck but, my second hand understanding is that gamescope insulates the game running inside it from the actual environment so if your desktop resolution switched the game would continue happily running at 720p (or lower) internally and gamescope would scale it, optionally via FSR, to your output resolution. While all the system level stuff outside of gamescope would render at 1080p or whatever.

The issue with this then would be the steam deck's native 16:10 display not matching 16:9 TVs. I guess there'd be pillarboxing?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Probably, tbh you're gonna get a lot of letter/pillar boxing either way because there's lots of games that don't like 16:10 either

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

It is a PC, straight up. It isn't a console, it isn't a switch it isn't a closed system. It's a wide open bit of hardware, with a completely optional OS based on Linux it comes with. Output to a 4k monitor it doesn't give a poo poo.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Finally get my dream of playing caves of qud on an 8k monitor

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
We already know that the Deck will allow you to do per-game TDP profiles, it would be great if you could separate those profiles also based on whether it’s plugged into power or not, but I’m not expecting it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s just video out, it’ll scale to whatever resolution / aspect ratio.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Probably, tbh you're gonna get a lot of letter/pillar boxing either way because there's lots of games that don't like 16:10 either

A lot of them don’t and it’s super annoying.

I haven’t run into a game where it’s not fixable but it can take some tweaking.

Like warframe didn’t like the 16:10 at all but it was fixable after some trial and error. The game would accept the 16:10 but if you closed the game it reverted back to a 16:9 and you had to go back in and fiddle with the settings.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

KakerMix posted:

It is a PC, straight up. It isn't a console, it isn't a switch it isn't a closed system. It's a wide open bit of hardware, with a completely optional OS based on Linux it comes with. Output to a 4k monitor it doesn't give a poo poo.
While true, I think it would be Insanely Dumb to wipe SteamOS from and make it a primarily Windows machine, because while its not a closed system, it is a system that's increasingly clearly designed to be the native experience of the Steam Deck. In a way that you're, not gonna get the same experience running the Windows version of Steam on it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

We already know that the Deck will allow you to do per-game TDP profiles, it would be great if you could separate those profiles also based on whether it’s plugged into power or not, but I’m not expecting it.

Tbf if it’s plugged in I don’t even think about TDP. Just let it do what it needs

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

homeless snail posted:

While true, I think it would be Insanely Dumb to wipe SteamOS from and make it a primarily Windows machine, because while its not a closed system, it is a system that's increasingly clearly designed to be the native experience of the Steam Deck. In a way that you're, not gonna get the same experience running the Windows version of Steam on it.

Oh I'm personally going to use it as is out of the box, it's staying factory for me. I do, however, insanely appreciate that I could put Windows on it if I'd like. Of course it will be a worse experience, that's not what it was designed for. But I COULD.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

KakerMix posted:

Yeah this. Just don't think you'll be able to play at that resolution but if you're using it as a PC for a bit go hog wild.

I mean you could play at that res for some things, otherwise enjoy like 5 fps on new games. But you're not going to get a blurry monitor display you'll get the native resolution. Again it's a PC like everyone keeps saying.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

homeless snail posted:

Yeah I wouldn't recommend this device for anyone without at least a working knowledge of Linux, even people who are PC gamers already. Maybe that will change once it's in my hands, Valve is certainly putting a lot of work into making it as user-friendly as possible, but making Linux as accessible as a console is a task that well, even Linux devs haven't managed.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nah if that's the case I think they hosed up. If Proton works well enough then ideally the average person shouldn't be able to tell the difference. And if you go into desktop mode, they conspicuously picked the Linux desktop environment that most closely ripoffs the Windows 10 experience.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Here we go finally. I can't play the Switch without the Hori Pad so this is great for me.

https://twitter.com/NevereverES/status/1489730693378752516?s=20&t=ZgFVtkTpco0DNCsCAFUPzw

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Even normal-rear end desktop linux is fine general home computing stuff (like setting resolution). Given that most games let you set the render resolution entirely separate from the display resolution there's no reason to think it won't output to each monitor at the monitors native res. Its just going to see the built in screen as the primary monitor by default.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Barreft posted:

Here we go finally. I can't play the Switch without the Hori Pad so this is great for me.

https://twitter.com/NevereverES/status/1489730693378752516?s=20&t=ZgFVtkTpco0DNCsCAFUPzw

That owns. Perfect size IMO

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

homeless snail posted:

I’m not going to say it’s insanely dumb to install windows on this tbh.

I have one of these that runs windows and it’s perfectly serviceable and there are a few windows front ends you can use to make the user experience a bit better.

Also if the touch pads accept mouse input it shouldn’t be that bad at all. The worst thing is the windows on screen keyboard.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
I’m going to use my deck to organize the games I haven’t played into new groups of games I could play now in a mobile fashion that I never had time to play on PC, but then never play them on the deck either.

Steam Deck: innovative new Library ignoring tool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Even normal-rear end desktop linux is fine general home computing stuff (like setting resolution). Given that most games let you set the render resolution entirely separate from the display resolution there's no reason to think it won't output to each monitor at the monitors native res. Its just going to see the built in screen as the primary monitor by default.
There is a reason actually, because there's an intermediary layer. The game is running under Proton and Proton is running inside gamescope, which is a compositor that constrains whatever is in it to whatever resolution you ask for, and then scales it up to your output resolution. So if its set to 720p, when the game asks how big the monitor is (which gets intercepted by Wine which asks the X server running inside gamescope), even if your desktop resolution is 4k it will only ever see a 720p display.