Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Recently got back into this game as I picked up the tabletop game again - I tried Rogue Tech but it felt a bit overwhelming and I didn't really enjoy it. I'm trying BEX and I'm absolutely loving it as it feels like just more involved vanilla which is what I wanted, what is Battletech Advanced like? is it a midway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Flipswitch posted:

Recently got back into this game as I picked up the tabletop game again - I tried Rogue Tech but it felt a bit overwhelming and I didn't really enjoy it. I'm trying BEX and I'm absolutely loving it as it feels like just more involved vanilla which is what I wanted, what is Battletech Advanced like? is it a midway?

Yep, it adds mortar, mines, vehicles, and other things and retools the mechanics more, but not to RT's extent

BEX is basically vanilla plus, the others deviate and add more than just tweaks and more mechs

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Gotcha, I'll give it a go at some point in the future when I eventually get bored of this!

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Yeah, never tried a King Crab for it. (Did build out a Hardened/Reinforced/Mechanical Jump Jets 10 one with a couple Heavy PPCs, just to be obnoxious. Seven evasion on 100 tons of assault? Sure, why not! Gets shot up? That's nice, I'll get it detailed later.)

I do have a dual-Sniper Behemoth (Stone Rhino) which isn't as tight on ammo, but for LT I think I have one ton of HE in storage - I *really* want to swap all the HE for Inferno/Thermobaric, but I haven't been able to loot or buy the former, and have only been abused by the latter. :supaburn:

After a refit to make it a HAG-monster, I returned the Bull Shark to dual-Thumper config, and that has a stupid amount of ammo. Also lots in storage so I could build a couple more, I think, but the enormous footprint of the Long Tom is :chefs_kiss:.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Ygolonac posted:

Anyway, I finally made a video of the Obsidian Skull casually exterminating a Zeus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZP6fzGs_tE

That was beautiful.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

armchairyoda posted:

That was beautiful.

I have yet to have anyone survive a hit.

I also have yet to stackpole the core on a victim target. :ohdear: + :unsmigghh:

What will suck is going in solo against one or more enemies, and discovering on spawn that there's a flyer (VTOL/chopper/LAM), because I'm very limited on ammo for the shotgun and NARC.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
My approach to solo duels now is just to just long tom them into submission with one of my krabs without them ever moving. Yes, it takes a bit of the sport out of the duel, but it keeps the repair bills low.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Huge BTA update that breaks saves but it looks fun as hell plus i can finally drive the goddamn bulldog!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm going to have to try that after this campaign - it sounds very good.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.bta3062.com/index.php/Patch_Notes

This modding community owns, though some of the gameplay changes sound excessive

quote:

NEW MECHANIC: CollateralDamage has been introduced. This is a sub-mod that means that if you destroy too many buildings on urban maps, you get penalized with c-bill fees for warcriming the civvies. Don't just fire off nukes on urban anymore unless you want to eat the fees.

That's not going to stop me

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 7, 2022

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

That only comes into play late game when you're rocking crazy artillery and just leveling the city haha.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

CompeAnansi posted:

My approach to solo duels now is just to just long tom them into submission with one of my krabs without them ever moving. Yes, it takes a bit of the sport out of the duel, but it keeps the repair bills low.

"Sport"? "Duel"? Considering I've had the random AI enemies equipped with TAG Barrage or Arrow IV, I'm pretty sure those words don't go together...

Doing a bunch of Comstar-womping for Marik, and the last fight of the night they sent me to an Air Show to protect the allied lance.

Spawn. Oh hi, enemies out of LoS: Phoenix Hawk IIC (95 tons of LAM) and Munin. Good day, enemies directly in front of me: PHawk (non-assault).

And a Mothball 150-ton LAM. :ohdear:

GEE I WONDER WHO GOT TO BE TEAM TARGET.

Mauled the Mothball horribly, but it survived into round 3 (round 2 was spawn, due to the new "no spawn protection within enemy-contact range" change), where the pilot pulled the loud handle. Same happened to the PHawk - something about 8 LAMs zooming into your rear arc and alpha'ing is bad for morale.

Most everyone went opff chasing the Muni or taking a round to cool down, but my own PHawk IIC ambled up and backshot the other IIC with the BRRT pirate RAC/10. (Essentially a RAC/LBX.)

Six-round burst. Crit'd the gun, but not explosively.

Shreded the enemy LAM horribly though, engine blew.

At the end of it all, there was a ton of salvage (as usual) and only three picks. Complete Mothball on the table, couple others with all three parts and some that were two.

I only needed one part to build the Big Chungus, though. :getin: Picked up singles to build out two different Berkuts, went to random allocation.

"Here, have the other two parts of the Mothball." Plus a bunch of other single parts, including one I needed to complete a Munin but had passed up for the stuff noted above.

It's now at the point I can actually drop 4 superheavies on any flashpoint that doesn't restrict my tonnage or force me to use rentals. :unsmigghh:

The planetary fight started with a COmcast invasion, 25 strength vs. 22 for the Purple Burple. It's not even halfway through the month, and it's down to 12:18...and I've been helping out by taking my non-A-team out during the downtimes and mauling Comcast, supporting Marik, or both in one job when I can.

And I'd just recently gotten 100 rep with 'em, too. :lol:

Need to head over to the Hanseatic League, maybe, because according to bloodydoves, they'll sell those 150-ton Kirov murderblimps in BTA; asked him if RT does the same, wish me luck!

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Arghy posted:

Huge BTA update that breaks saves but it looks fun as hell plus i can finally drive the goddamn bulldog!

I updated before reading about it breaking saves. So it ate my campaign that was like 500 days in... :argh:

But then I started a pirate campaign and the game gave me a Banshee as my starting mech. :imunfunny:

Edit: How can I get pirate missions? What planet trait should I be looking for?
I wanna say "pirate presence", but there does not seem to be a pirate presence. :mad:

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 8, 2022

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Tarquinn posted:

I updated before reading about it breaking saves. So it ate my campaign that was like 500 days in... :argh:

But then I started a pirate campaign and the game gave me a Banshee as my starting mech. :imunfunny:

Edit: How can I get pirate missions? What planet trait should I be looking for?
I wanna say "pirate presence", but there does not seem to be a pirate presence. :mad:

In Roger Tech, selecting a system on the navigation map will show what factions are there - small box with faction icons in the... lower-left? part of the description.

If not, you might just cruise around the frontier edges of the map - pirates hang out there a *lot*.

Update on my own plans: no go on BlimpieTech. bloodydoves knows not of RT availability, and one of the devs in Discord said she's 99% sure it's not for sale.

Still might head out to the Periphery just to build rep with the warlords and such, whomping on local .gov. Sometimes they field some neat poo poo...

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Not my screenshot. (Dear god, I wish it was mine. I would, for once, accept the deal, instead of having a 95% chance to win the dispute, because it'd only be *chance* at the ULNPPCs.(Albeit a really *good* chance.))

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uFwjSlNrpU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Roguetech's wiki isn't really easy to search. I guess enemy battle armor can climb inside your own guys now, what do you do in this situation? Just eject, or just keep passing turns until something happens?

edit: Mechs can roll around I guess, but my tank could do jack poo poo.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

lmfao why the gently caress does roguetech have naval-scale weaponry in it now

someone tell those people to stop

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

So I just started fighting the clans in BTEX and sweet mother of god they are terrifying.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Psycho Landlord posted:

lmfao why the gently caress does roguetech have naval-scale weaponry in it now

someone tell those people to stop

The concept of "less is more" is foreign to them.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Rt needed to stop about 3 years ago. There's been no hope for it for a while now

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Because it's fun! Except for battle armor. I hate battle armor.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How do VTOLs work? Just higher evasion? BTA seems too much for me, rogue tech seems bonkers.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Went back into the campaign after not playing for a long time, light mechs are way flimsier than I was expecting. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but I'm getting structural damage on all my mechs in fights. Do I need better armor or weapons? Also is it better to have more smaller weapons or fewer strong weapons?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

hostess with the Moltres posted:

Went back into the campaign after not playing for a long time, light mechs are way flimsier than I was expecting. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but I'm getting structural damage on all my mechs in fights. Do I need better armor or weapons? Also is it better to have more smaller weapons or fewer strong weapons?

If you're playing the base game you should always be using maximum armor on arms, frontal torsos, and heads. Legs are generally fine with 2/3, and rears with enough to take a medium laser hit or so- 35 at most. For lights specifically you also need to stick with reserving your initiative and making sure enemies don't get a chance to really shoot them. Reserve your action, run in and shoot a back, then immediately run out again before the enemy gets a shot.

If you're getting torn up in general you probably need to work on focus firing enemy units down quicker and using facings to apply the damage better. If you shoot at enemies from the side arcs you'll focus damage far more effectively and cripple then faster via blowing off legs and arms. Similarly, spreading damage across your own mechs via only showing one facing will protect you from losing important things. Think like only showing the left side of your hunchback to enemies to keep your big gun shoulder intact.

Amount and type of weapons isn't a one or the other question. Generally for the base game your best tactic is getting in the side of enemies and using precision shot to blow off a leg or head.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Chainclaw posted:

Roguetech's wiki isn't really easy to search. I guess enemy battle armor can climb inside your own guys now, what do you do in this situation? Just eject, or just keep passing turns until something happens?

edit: Mechs can roll around I guess, but my tank could do jack poo poo.

BA attacks, the armor "mounts" you with boarding claws or magnetic grapples - thus, they're not targetable by the affected mech/vehicle, and untargetable by anyone else. (AoE effects will work fine, as long as you're cool with splash-damaging the mech; generally better than targeted damage from the BA, though.)

Dealing with BA attacks, use the "active abilities" menu - mechs have "roll" or "swat", with higher success chances based on the BA abilities/possibly mech quirks?/pilot skills. If successful, BA will be dislodged and take some damage. Please note that "roll" downs your mech, and as with knockdowns may injure the pilot. Vehicles have "erratic maneuvering" - never used it, don't know if hooning around your track will injure BA when they go flying off, whatever. Pretty sure any of these take your entire turn, and have to be done before other action.

Ejection (vehicle or mech) will dump BA as well, someone in the discord has said it can kill the BA but damned if I know.

Erratic maneuvering was added after the initial BA swarming attacks, when people using vehicles started putting in legit complaints. (As opposed to "waaaa I hate BA make it stop of be optional!" Same whining is currently ongoing about the new air attack mechanic.)

Speaking of which...

[quote-"Lady Alekto"]
RogueTech MechRiders 1.2.1.8
AI gets aerospace support - starting from 11 difficulty there is an increasing chance that up to 2 AI units will get the ability to request aerial strikes
- Ability has 3 turn cooldown and starts in cooldown, when used it setups 200x400 metres zone (indicated by smoke signals) in which aerospace fighter will perform 2-3 strafe runs every 16 combat phases
[/quote]

(corrected a couple typos)

Smoke signals may be hard to spot (especially if the world is currently on fire god I love Inferno), and that's being tweaked RSN. If you kill whoever called in the strike before it arrives, it's cancelled - you'll have to guess who called it (either via the combat log or just combat phase), I'd just kill everyone to be sure. :unsmigghh: Players do not have this option... *yet*. It may end up being optional, it may be possible to use AA-specific mechs/vehicles to defend (think Rifleman/Cloud Buster tracks), but it's still being worked on and only dropped on the 14th. To avoid it, the best way at this time to to not go above 1 difficulty (5 green skulls).

The snivelling has been *ridiculous* so far. :v:

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Flipswitch posted:

How do VTOLs work? Just higher evasion? BTA seems too much for me, rogue tech seems bonkers.

Artillery is a huge help in early-game BTA.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

PhotoKirk posted:

Artillery is a huge help in early-game BTA.

Screwing off, grinding Periphery rep in Roger Tech. Lothians love me, so I have one more orange-skull fight (difficulty 12) before I move on to the Ilyrians.

Been finding some duels to do, so the Obsidian Skull has been getting to socialize with other giant robbits murder the everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP1MuftMVlY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa82fFlUYc0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI-hsG0r0BM
My first Obsidian Stackpole! :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzDPmwasfIs

Also did an Air Show for Lothians vs. local .gov last night - kill team shows up, and it's Society. I don't *think* they're a regular faction in offline mode, but I rather expected better OpFor out of 'em. I did record that, but as it was an Air Show, the AI took forever for every action, so that really needs to be edited down. (Also, the ally lance included a 150-tom Mothball, which mauled the holy poo poo out of one LAM every turn.)

I will *always* take Air Shows, though. :unsmigghh:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Installing BTA now. God help me I need more of this content. Anything I should know to adjust my way of playing from Vanilla to this? I'd appreciate any guidance so I don't make idiot mistakes.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Mr.Tophat posted:

Installing BTA now. God help me I need more of this content. Anything I should know to adjust my way of playing from Vanilla to this? I'd appreciate any guidance so I don't make idiot mistakes.

Beware of artillery, evasion doesn't degrade unless you use abilities so use area effect weapons or small ones for super fast things. Buildings can spawn battle armor so watch out for city maps.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Mr.Tophat posted:

Gunnery doesn't ramp up in power nearly as hard as it does in Vanilla. Evasion doesn't get removed from shooting, so sensor lock, positioning for good shots, and whatnot are a lot more important. Heat weapons are still extremely good.

I would absolutely start with a bump up in initial cash (do the 2.5mil) and play with generous payment and salvage, and 4 mech part assembly. BTA adds so so much to the tactical game that imo you should just make the economic game almost a nonfactor to really enjoy it.

e: Also, there's a good newbie guide: https://www.bta3062.com/index.php/Beginner%27s_Guide

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 1, 2022

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Regarding BTA: Are the Clans/Comcast/WoB best assumed to be higher-difficulty enemies than indicated? IE, add a skull to what's showing on the mission briefing? (In Roger Tech, it's easy to get horribly mauled, especially early on, because of this.)

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Thanks for the advice! It's downloaded now and well, time to dive in and smash some mechs with a charge or three.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Ygolonac posted:

Regarding BTA: Are the Clans/Comcast/WoB best assumed to be higher-difficulty enemies than indicated? IE, add a skull to what's showing on the mission briefing? (In Roger Tech, it's easy to get horribly mauled, especially early on, because of this.)

Clans very much so, the space papacy is kinda hit or miss. Space papacy will come at you with rare mechs and will use stars instead of lances so 5 enemies instead of 4 but overall they're not too bad though they can have some support fuckery with crazy artillery. The variance and weirdness is what will get you, like pirates fielding assault mechs filled with weird equipment like 300 rockets so always scout and look at load outs if you don't instant recognize the mech.

Oh also DFA is no joke and the AI WILL USE IT. Beware of jenners and panthers, that piddly lance of light mechs can kill your awesome pilots if they get lucky.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Ygolonac posted:

Only insofar as Clans will have stars of 5 units and Comstar/Wobbies will use Level 2s of 6 units at once, instead of base game 4 unit lances. That and they use their relevant faction gear selection. But a 1 skull clan mission is still only going to throw light units at you.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Mr.Tophat posted:

Kick everything!

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Started another campaign after all the BTA updates and goddamn it's so fun starting with BA and an APC. I already slapped some handholds on my cicada and i'm gonna put a ~200 rated engine in it for sprinting to long range enemies to drop my big fat BA load on them.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Did a 1.5 skull mission, 1 medium mech, 1 light vehicle, 4 medium vehicles, and 1 pristine 90 ton challenger tank against my 2 40 ton mechs, 2 light mechs, 1 BA, and 1 loving APC. I don't remember it being this bad for a 1.5 skull mission haha.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
As always, remember that skulls are essentially meaningless for determining how difficult a contract is. Look at the rewards, instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

The reward was on par with a 1.5 skull mission.