Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 11 days!)

how many times do i have to say "if you want to help the bugs, plant prickly shrubs" before people start doing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

everybody has these reasons for arguing with me like "i live in the middle of a city and it would be illegal to plant it on any dirt within ten miles". so plant it secretly in a park! do i have to figure everything out for you people

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

hexigrammus is the only person who appreciates the thorn as much as i do

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

i love the thorn.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

In the vein of optimist future star trek: there will be six months of aerosol dispersal, followed by a declaration of victory as the northern hemisphere goes into winter and a discontinuation of all efforts and a campaign of gaslighting that climate change is over. Then space will collapse summer returns as the acid pulse in the oceans murders exoskeletal life.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Car Hater posted:

Also I need antibiotics today and I continue to marvel that I will not die of sepsis or need an amputation, and lol lmao that this is now the expected norm, and that I know it will go away

Thanks for reminding me that antibiotic resistance is one of the many horsemen of today's modern apocalypse. With climate change and plastic all around us it's easy to forget the little things :)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Complications posted:

and a campaign of gaslighting that climate change is over.

Please.

Natural gaslighting

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Also, star trek is great. Only show that acknowledges that we are on the path to complete ruin and do not have the capability to save ourselves.

A true show

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

enfys is good too

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Egg Moron posted:

Gonna ride my bike on the interstate in the left lane with my "no, your gay" shirt on and not use the handlebars so I can put up middle fingers

All because of this thread

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie
Starting to miss that one time when the whole thread got probated.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Egg Moron posted:

Gonna ride my bike on the interstate in the left lane with my "no, your gay" shirt on and not use the handlebars so I can put up middle fingers

All because of this thread

there are less permanent ways to reduce your carbon footprint

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Basic Poster posted:

Source that quote binsch

e: war, plague, pestilence,...famine? Lmao the crop yields this year...bingo bingo horse plinko.

Camus’ “The Plague”.

quote:

The really remarkable thing, and Rambert was greatly struck by this, was the way in which, in the very midst of catastrophe, offices could go on functioning serenely and take initiatives of no immediate relevance, and often unknown to the highest authority, purely and simply because they had been created originally for this purpose.

quote:

Without memories, without hope, they lived for the moment only. Indeed, the here and now had come to mean everything to them. For there is no denying that the plague had gradually killed off in all of us the faculty not of love only but even friendship. Naturally enough, since love asks something of the future, and nothing was left us but a series of present moments.

take_it_slow has issued a correction as of 01:00 on Feb 6, 2022

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

nah, we put a lot of effort into making what yard we have pretty bug and animal friendly. even if it doesn't matter in the long run, it feels nice

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Dog carcass in passing lane this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This traffic is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of wreckage and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will crash. The accumulated filth of all their brake checking and tailgating will foam up about their waists and all the speeders and slow drivers will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Is this from the newly leaked first Godspeed album?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

The technical manual was published two years before that episode. The speed limit comes up again a few times, with the Federation authorizing higher speeds for some missions, but is ignored after that. And Voyager has the moving nacelles to solve the problem.

The "warp core software update" isn't cannon, this is the first time I'm hearing about it.

fame douglas doing the shaq i sleep/awake meme when it comes to obscure star trek lore ftw

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Natural gaslighting

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
C-SPAM > [Biosphere Collapse]

Natural gaslighting

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
LISTEBN HERE YOU NERDS;

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

WaryWarren posted:

Is this from the newly leaked first Godspeed album?

it's from the classic Zack Snyder movie Watchmen

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

my thorny rear end gooseberries i've been planting feel really left out rn.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Natural gaslighting

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Oh look, the yeast are discussing sustainable growth again.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

mediaphage posted:

nah, we put a lot of effort into making what yard we have pretty bug and animal friendly. even if it doesn't matter in the long run, it feels nice
oh poo poo sorry! you're good too.

silicone thrills posted:

my thorny rear end gooseberries i've been planting feel really left out rn.
so are you!

i have erred.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

everybody has these reasons for arguing with me like "i live in the middle of a city and it would be illegal to plant it on any dirt within ten miles". so plant it secretly in a park! do i have to figure everything out for you people

i tossed some squash seeds around in little patches of city soil over the winter, and stuff was starting to grow in those patches.

then it all got cut back to dirt by a lawn service.

bzzzt bzzzzt

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
gently caress it, if you're gonna call me a psycho i kind of don't loving care what you think because i'm not a psycho

I DIDN'T TYPE THE ENTIRE POST LIKE THIS BUT I'M SURE SOME OF YOU READ IT LIKE THIS EVEN THOUGH MY TALKING VOICE IS ACTUALLY PRETTY CALM BUT IF WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT BOTHERS YOU OR SCARES YOU THEN YOU MIGHT BLOW IT OUT OF PROPORTION OR THINK I SAID THINGS I DIDN'T ACTUALLY SAY

like holy poo poo, i was venting a little bit

i didn't say that i actually ever passed someone on the shoulder, but reading what i actually typed really is pretty hard!!!

also i don't listen to music when i drive--that poo poo's loving dangerous

driving isn't a game

you only live once

i didn't think that the thread about laughing about literal millions and possibly billions of humans dying from climate change would draw the line at "hey, don't drive fast" as if anything on this stupid loving planet matters :words: and i didn't think this would go on for so many pages but really gently caress slow drivers especially the ones that intentionally slow down other traffic and i'm not sorry for anything i said

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
no, you're good. it's very clear how not mad, and actually calm, you are.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Every purchase for either need or pleasure, every item shipped, every morsel of food and every evening spent in warmth and comfort are only serving to hasten the end of all this. I can't take up new hobbies, or get that cool 3d printer, or buy new computers, or drive 10 minutes down the road to my local trail system without feeling immense guilt. The contrast between what is my moral duty and what I'm actually doing is absolutely debilitating.

I've always liked the idea of possessionless monks. A life of quiet, still introspection rather than distraction. Though, the older I get the less I can handle anything religious.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mola Yam posted:

no, you're good. it's very clear how not mad, and actually calm, you are.

I can see by these posts that OP is very cool and collected and responsible and definitely never behaves irresponsibly behind the wheel of heavy machinery.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Comatoast posted:

Every purchase for either need or pleasure, every item shipped, every morsel of food and every evening spent in warmth and comfort are only serving to hasten the end of all this. I can't take up new hobbies, or get that cool 3d printer, or buy new computers, or drive 10 minutes down the road to my local trail system without feeling immense guilt. The contrast between what is my moral duty and what I'm actually doing is absolutely debilitating.

I've always liked the idea of possessionless monks. A life of quiet, still introspection rather than distraction. Though, the older I get the less I can handle anything religious.

Have you considered that bringing all of this to an end is good and your moral duty is in fact served by hastening it

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

as an added bonus you have a TON of disposable income to spend on wasteful planet-ending consumption when you decide not to have kids

r u ready to WALK has issued a correction as of 10:53 on Feb 6, 2022

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Comatoast posted:

Frustrating, isn't it?

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

jetz0r posted:

i tossed some squash seeds around in little patches of city soil over the winter, and stuff was starting to grow in those patches.

then it all got cut back to dirt by a lawn service.

bzzzt bzzzzt
yes, guerilla greening does result in council-induced plant murder that can be pretty crushing. but as you plant more secret trees, you get better at spotting the kind of unkempt urban undergrowth where they're likely to survive and flourish

Alobar posted:

gently caress it, if you're gonna call me a psycho i kind of don't loving care what you think because i'm not a psycho

I DIDN'T TYPE THE ENTIRE POST LIKE THIS BUT I'M SURE SOME OF YOU READ IT LIKE THIS EVEN THOUGH MY TALKING VOICE IS ACTUALLY PRETTY CALM BUT IF WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT BOTHERS YOU OR SCARES YOU THEN YOU MIGHT BLOW IT OUT OF PROPORTION OR THINK I SAID THINGS I DIDN'T ACTUALLY SAY
hello, friend

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

what’s the CO2 level in this thread

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

when trains first came around people were afraid that simply moving too fast would cause damage to human bodies

we can safely dismiss the idea as old-timey weirdness but what has since become abundantly clear is that moving fast in cars
irrevocably damages human brains and driving one should be restricted to necessary professions that receive generous hazard pay
and regular monitoring of mental well-being

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

lots of posts did twaites finally gently caress off?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Thwaites was run off of antarctica by another glacier swerving dangerously.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Thwaites was run off of antarctica by another glacier swerving dangerously.

it's the thwaites fault for not melting fast enough

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

brakeless posted:

when trains first came around people were afraid that simply moving too fast would cause damage to human bodies
specifically women's bodies

like straight up uterus ejection at 50 miles per hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Jel Shaker posted:

lots of posts did twaites finally gently caress off?

No the thread is having an on-going meltdown about individual responsibility again, insisting that the problem is one driver instead of the entire automobile-industrial complex. In much the same way as people keep hassling me to stop dumping my frying oil in the local stream when we all know big corporates are the real problem.