Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Still a pretty small population, and we have probably good odds on suppressing summoning in our characters' lifetimes, so who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

thetoughestbean posted:

Louisoix became a primal as well, as did the handmaiden to the queen of Bozja.

Louisoux was imprisoned by Bahamut and tempered, Save the Queen (the sword) imprisoned Misija's ancestor when the Blades of Gunnhildr killed her. Primals likely hold themselves together better in the lifestream same as an Ancient, simply because of Aetheric Density. The fact that Primals are also beings of pure aether means they can likely retain their form in the lifestream much easier.

But we know eventually they run out, that's the whole deal with Hydaelyn/Venat, they were slowly fading away and would eventually die once they ran out of aether, sinking into the lifestream to be reborn like anyone else.

Jetrauben posted:

It might also just take time, and of course Ysayle, and Haurchefant, and Papalymo, and Minfilia, all have a reason to wait before cycling themselves back in to be born again: you.

They're waiting for you, ready to help one last time, because their job isn't done yet. Hell, Ysayle and Haurchefant's ghosts are explicitly following you at least until 3.3, aren't they?

Yes, you pull them back out even (much like in EW you can pull Hades and Hythlodaeus out of the Lifestream).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The logic of 'primal people are stuck there' would only really be able to use the Aitiascope as evidence if someone who channelled a primal was dead noticeably longer than anyone else while still being there, but that's just not true. The actual list of the dead we see in that, in chronological order of their deaths, was...

1. Rhytatyn (level 49, 2.0)
2. Livia (level 50, 2.0)
3. Moenbryda (level 50, 2.4)
4. Haurchefaunt (level 57, 3.0)
5. Ysayle (level 59, 3.0)
6. Nybeth Obdilord (level ??, 3.4)
7. Ilberd (level 60, 3.5)
8. Papalymo (level 60, 3.5)
9. Asahi (level 70, 4.3)
10. Minfilia (complicated, but somewhere between level 50, 2.55 and level 76, 5.0)
11. Amon/Fandaniel (level 83, 6.0)

Ysayle isn't even the earliest death of the people we do see, so there's no evidence at all to claim that she's special.

For extra bonus points: The undead NPCs in the Palace of the Dead also still seem to have their souls and memories, if only barely with connection to their actual bodies. This makes the actual earliest departed-without-soultrapped spirit we have to measure Mad Snake, who died at Cartenau.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 6, 2022

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Nessus posted:

Ysayle was the only one who seemed to do it repeatedly and presumably independently

Ysayle also had the same superpower as the WoL (or one of the same superpowers). Maybe you had to be a hear feel thinker to get fine control over that stuff.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

FuturePastNow posted:

Ysayle also had the same superpower as the WoL (or one of the same superpowers). Maybe you had to be a hear feel thinker to get fine control over that stuff.

This is my new favorite term for those with the Echo and I look forward to using it exclusively.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If Zenos could lick the aether rock to become Shinryu again, that means Ryne could probably turn on Shiva mode at will now if she had a power source

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

FuturePastNow posted:

If Zenos could lick the aether rock to become Shinryu again, that means Ryne could probably turn on Shiva mode at will now if she had a power source

Honestly, at that point I'm gonna say they've just reverse engineered transformation magic the Ancients used. Seeing as Summoning Magic is very much just modified Creation Magic in the first place, summoning a shell of aether around yourself to be clad in the flesh of a divinity is basically what Hades does when he turns into a big spooky demon man thing. Especially because I'm pretty certain the Hydealyn look is Venat's personal transformation, as is Elidibus' WoL appearance based on his own battle transformation (hence having the same face as his younger self Themis whilst transformed).

Just with an external aether fuel instead of the internal one that Ancients could have for the Shiva/Tsukuyomi/Shinryu transformations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I know it wouldn't make sense and would go against the point of the Coils story, but I was a little sad Louisoux/Phoenix didn't pop up in the "ALL THE PRIMALS ARE HERE" sequence.

Like, I wanted a little shot of Fourchenault quietly praying to himself, asking his father to look after his kids, and then Phoenix just explodes fourth, flying through the sky and into the ship while everyone is confused about where that primal came from.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Rhonne posted:

I know it wouldn't make sense and would go against the point of the Coils story, but I was a little sad Louisoux/Phoenix didn't pop up in the "ALL THE PRIMALS ARE HERE" sequence.

Like, I wanted a little shot of Fourchenault quietly praying to himself, asking his father to look after his kids, and then Phoenix just explodes fourth, flying through the sky and into the ship while everyone is confused about where that primal came from.

On that note, I can't be the only one who thought they were going to call the ship Louisoix when Fourchenault started making his speech, right?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

DanielCross posted:

On that note, I can't be the only one who thought they were going to call the ship Louisoix when Fourchenault started making his speech, right?

Nope. Also Ragnarok feels kinda inappropriate if you consider its original meaning.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I expected the ship to look more like the one on the artwork

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

OddObserver posted:

Nope. Also Ragnarok feels kinda inappropriate if you consider its original meaning.

I mean it sort of is the twilight of the gods. Both Zodiark and Hydaelyn are dead, as is the entity that necessitated their creation.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
To be honest, before the ship launched I had no idea what was supposed to be the front of the ship.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

DanielCross posted:

Was 100% certain they were calling it Louisoix's Hope in the vein of Nyunkrepf's Hope, yeah.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Was 100% certain they were calling it Louisoix's Hope in the vein of Nyunkrepf's Hope, yeah.

:same:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Abhorrence posted:

I mean it sort of is the twilight of the gods. Both Zodiark and Hydaelyn are dead, as is the entity that necessitated their creation.

also aren’t all the primals that got summoned from the mothercrystal superdead now? like that was sort of the impression I got with them giving their aether up to the ragnarok. idk what happens when your aether gets turned into warp juice

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

kitten emergency posted:

also aren’t all the primals that got summoned from the mothercrystal superdead now? like that was sort of the impression I got with them giving their aether up to the ragnarok. idk what happens when your aether gets turned into warp juice

I doubt that, just because that'd completely take all those primals off the board, but it's the sort of thing they'd have to actually discuss, which they probably won't for a while.

Which beast tribe do you think would actually be on board with testing that theory, though?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

kitten emergency posted:

They're not any more dead than when they get killed normally by the WoL, I don't think. It runs on regular ol' aether, not souls or whatever.

Also, summoners can still summon them during their rotation :v:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Begemot posted:

They're not any more dead than when they get killed normally by the WoL, I don't think. It runs on regular ol' aether, not souls or whatever.

Also, summoners can still summon them during their rotation :v:

I wonder if we'll ever get any lore on what exactly Summoners are doing when they summon Ifrit/Garuda/Titan at 90. Are they just even more powerful egis? Did we pick up proper summoning from the loporrits?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Also primals seem pretty chill now? Bickering Garuda and Susano pretty much drained them of any remaining danger or menace they might've had, but it was also great. Bring on my new primal friends, I love them all.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Well as with a lot of FF things, it feels like it's more self-referencing FF8's airship and wrapping it in with the XIV Ragnarok internment hulks, etc. Same way how Bahamut draws on the FF staples more than D&D or the mythical fish. Now and then you might have something more strongly to its real life mythos like Scathach and Dunscaith but at the same time Cuchulainn is only loosely related by being present in the same set of raids, but with no greater lore implication. And then you have the Lucavi version which is altogether unrelated.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Rhonne posted:

I wonder if we'll ever get any lore on what exactly Summoners are doing when they summon Ifrit/Garuda/Titan at 90. Are they just even more powerful egis? Did we pick up proper summoning from the loporrits?

I think so, yeah. Kind of a shame we don't get any explanation for new abilities anymore, honestly. Some of the stuff in Shadowbringers and Endwalker could really use it, like summoning Phoenix or the DRK shadow clone.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Begemot posted:

I think so, yeah. Kind of a shame we don't get any explanation for new abilities anymore, honestly. Some of the stuff in Shadowbringers and Endwalker could really use it, like summoning Phoenix or the DRK shadow clone.

DRK's at least gets a nod in the level 80 quest description.

Fray says it doesn't count as a reunion.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I doubt that, just because that'd completely take all those primals off the board, but it's the sort of thing they'd have to actually discuss, which they probably won't for a while.

Which beast tribe do you think would actually be on board with testing that theory, though?

idk, “let us super murder your god or we’re all gonna die and/or you’re gonna get to see how essential sharlayan sees you” is a pretty effective argument.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Professor Beetus posted:

Also primals seem pretty chill now? Bickering Garuda and Susano pretty much drained them of any remaining danger or menace they might've had, but it was also great. Bring on my new primal friends, I love them all.

Well the primals reflect the wishes of those who summon them, and in that moment everyone is summoning the primals so that they can save the world together. It makes sense that they'd have a much more positive attitude what summoned for that reason.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Rhonne posted:

Well the primals reflect the wishes of those who summon them, and in that moment everyone is summoning the primals so that they can save the world together. It makes sense that they'd have a much more positive attitude what summoned for that reason.

Even if Garuda still is racist against Landwalkers she helps, which is very funny to me.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

kitten emergency posted:

summoner strikes me as the “job that would get you the most weird glances from passerby”

well, reaper is probably up there if some random npc watched the WoL go sicko mode

but calling bahamut is probably gonna give some npcs ptsd

I enjoyed this bit of stormblood where they play this dialogue and cut over to the WoL with this expression

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Professor Beetus posted:

I feel like that menace was already pretty low given that this was the xpack where we killed (a) a primal made out of (if I recall correctly) the entirety of the Garlean Empire's belief in their ideals and (b) a primal formed by the sacrifice of half the Ancients at the height of their power -- moderately weakened by the sundering. And we're well past "I would kill your god for fun" so yeah, not a lot of menace.

Plus the menace of early primals is tied to the idea of beast tribes as an implacable foe willing to sacrifice themselves to destroy civilization, and that idea was rightfully thrown in the trash.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

We also found both a cure of tempering and a way to recreate the WoL's immunity to getting tempered in the first place.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Yeah, I feel like as much as they've focused on this being an end to the Hydaelyn/Zodiark saga, it's also sort of an end to the Primals as we know them. No longer are they some impossible obstacle that only the Warrior of Light (and seven conveniently-on-hand Echo Users) can defeat, they're something any sufficiently powerful warrior can do battle with if they're summoned with malicious purpose...and the befriending of all the Eastern and Western Beast Tribes seems to have put us on the path such that aggressive summonings are likely to be far, far less frequent than they were before. Not only is our title of "Warrior of Light" going to be less important going forward, even our status as "Eikon Slayer" isn't going to be as unique or important anymore.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Rhonne posted:

It’s this and also there’s dialogue from Livingway about the Loporrits’ form of creation magic that doesn’t involve tempering others, in contrast to the creation/summoning magic taught by the Ascians.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Professor Beetus posted:

I want to go on the Susano party bus.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Unlucky7 posted:

See, this goon gets it. I love how pumped up Susano is both times we see him. Pumped to fight, pumped to save the world. I bet if you summoned him to get on the party bus he would be pumped for that too; the Andrew W.K. of primals.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
You know, going back to before he was first summoned, Bunchin suggests that the kami will overlook your trespass on holy ground if you reunite the treasures and instead delight in your mischief-making.

Susano was totally their way of rewarding you.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

iPodschun posted:

It’s this and also there’s dialogue from Livingway about the Loporrits’ form of creation magic that doesn’t involve tempering others, in contrast to the creation/summoning magic taught by the Ascians.

Although this would not actually stop Primals from being able to temper people. The specific change they describe is that the method the Ascians taught includes a fervent desire to spread/expand their faith. Which leads to Primals who want to gain more followers starting with their initial summoners.

The actual process of Tempering is just Aetheric Corruption/alignment, similar to how Sin Eaters and Voidsent are born. This is why Alisaie’s Porxie can cure it, as the Porxie simply undoes the alignment shift. In theory therefore you can temper anyone provided you have something to corrupt/misalign their Aether. So Primals being focal points of an Aetheric Element are still able to Temper, they just won’t automatically do so anymore.

This is also why you have standard Leviathan tempered and the completely transformed squid people. You can cure the former but not the latter.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 7, 2022

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Professor Beetus posted:

See, this goon gets it. I love how pumped up Susano is both times we see him. Pumped to fight, pumped to save the world. I bet if you summoned him to get on the party bus he would be pumped for that too; the Andrew W.K. of primals.

Unlucky7 posted:

Give us more hosed up primal fusions a la Eden. I want to see Rasano/Suvana, or even Sephisano/Suphirot.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Amal'jaa, Kobolds, etc have no reason to summon their primals again because you have personally solved all of the problems that got them to that situation to begin with.

We might find new primals in Meracydia or the New World but that just means more peoples' problems to solve.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

FuturePastNow posted:

The Amal'jaa, Kobolds, etc have no reason to summon their primals again because you have personally solved all of the problems that got them to that situation to begin with.

We might find new primals in Meracydia or the New World but that just means more peoples' problems to solve.

Actually, I suspect that at least one of the tribes does still have reason, they just aren't mad enough to do it right now. The Ixal came into conflict with the Shroud because of rampant logging, but we've seen no evidence that the reason they did that rampant logging has actually been solved. They live in Xelphatol, and Xelphatol sucks for arable land you could grow trees on, but Ixali construction still relies heavily on lumber. Either someone needs to teach them alternate building methods, or someone's gonna need to find a better place to get wood.

We solved the purely interpersonal issues between beast tribes and the main cities, but we didn't do squat to solve more substantial problems like resource scarcity.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Cleretic posted:

Actually, I suspect that at least one of the tribes does still have reason, they just aren't mad enough to do it right now. The Ixal came into conflict with the Shroud because of rampant logging, but we've seen no evidence that the reason they did that rampant logging has actually been solved. They live in Xelphatol, and Xelphatol sucks for arable land you could grow trees on, but Ixali construction still relies heavily on lumber. Either someone needs to teach them alternate building methods, or someone's gonna need to find a better place to get wood.

We solved the purely interpersonal issues between beast tribes and the main cities, but we didn't do squat to solve more substantial problems like resource scarcity.

Isn't the reason they live in Xelphatol to begin with because the Elementals evicted them from the Shroud due to the clear cutting, at which point they basically decided to keep taking lumber from the Shroud as a "gently caress you" to the Elementals for kicking them out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

So you're saying that to solve the Ixal's problems, I need to kill the Elementals.