Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

quarantinethepast posted:

I imagine that if said invasion comes to pass, we may see a fracturing of NATO as Eastern European countries realize they're on their own, and subsequently an increase in nationalism and military spending. Imagine the hard right turn in Poland but everywhere in Eastern Europe.

A shattered American hegemony may look like something to celebrate for some but short term it's chaos and tension.

i'm not sure i understand this point. why would eastern europe "realize they're on their own"?

if nothing else, the us (and, to varying extents, canada, the uk, and france) have been united in shoring up the capacities of the NATO members on its eastern flank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Ukraine is not a NATO member and so the US has no treaty obligation to protect them. I’m not sure how the second strongest country in Easter Europe quickly falling to Russia would make the idea of an anti-Russian alliance less attractive. You can’t really be on your own in the successful invasion scenario. Either you’re with Russia or the West. No in between.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

QuoProQuid posted:

i'm not sure i understand this point. why would eastern europe "realize they're on their own"?

Tbf Ukraine is not part of NATO, but they've been attempting to get in. I guess I'm thinking about it like a domino. If Ukraine is invaded and Russia gets to flex its military power, who's to say Poland or the Baltic states aren't next? It would be in Russia's interest to test the waters and rattle nerves so the alliance falls apart, and who's to say if Russia puts a military front on a NATO ally that the US won't bow out again?

Maybe I'm being alarmist or what I'm arguing lacks foundation.

E:
You know what, given that Ukraine is not a NATO member I revise my argument. Short term it means that the NATO alliance will be even more important because it's the main defense against Russian influence. The moment where it would all fall apart is if Russia gets to bully NATO allies and the US does nothing, which Russia will definitely try to make happen.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 6, 2022

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Tbf Ukraine is not part of NATO, but they've been attempting to get in. I guess I'm thinking about it like a domino. If Ukraine is invaded and Russia gets to flex its military power, who's to say Poland or the Baltic states aren't next? It would be in Russia's interest to test the waters and rattle nerves so the alliance falls apart, and who's to say if Russia puts a military front on a NATO ally that the US won't bow out again?

Maybe I'm being alarmist or what I'm arguing lacks foundation.

i think, as BIG FLUFFY DOG, has said, the last few weeks have reinforced the importance of NATO for those within the alliance. like, there's a reason that Estonia (a NATO member) has not dealt with anything more than idle threats while Ukraine (not a NATO member) has been fighting an insurgency for almost eight years now and seems likely to be invaded.

you can see this in the way that the crisis has been framed by different countries or how the debate around NATO in places like Finland and Sweden have suddenly and abruptly shifted.

E: just saw your edit, friend. no worries.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
edit: nvm

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

I mean, this is one of those “the US has plans on invading Canada” type things right?

ie: not going to happen but there are actual plans “just in case”

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Boris Galerkin posted:

I mean, this is one of those “the US has plans on invading Canada” type things right?

I would read it as within 72 hours of invasion, not within 72 hours from now.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Boris Galerkin posted:

This is a "this is what could happen if Russian launched a full-scale invasion".

Russia is very unlikely to launch a full-scale invasion.

However, they can have a minor invasion, as a treat.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Conspiratiorist posted:

Here's an acquaintance's self-made force concentration map:

> Gomel
> Homyel

🤔

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

For those of us that aren't well versed in recent Polish politics, what's a quick summary of that?

I'm assuming by recent you mean in the last x years.

The short version is that in 2015 PiS won the trifecta of presidency/senate/sejm (lower house) and steadily began dismantling democratic institutions, which began by ignoring the constitutional court rulings until the majority of judges were switched to PiS aligned ones. The public television steadily increased the propaganda until it reached absolutely ridiculous levels (blaming absolutely everything bad on either the EU or Tusk), culminating in stupidity like increasing the red and positioning the main opposition party logo to give Tusk horns:

The senate was lost to the collective opposition in the last elections, but it's a relatively toothless branch of the government - the main difference is that instead of rubberstamping acts, it can delay them by a month and the sejm can then overturn the veto anyway.

Lately the main topic was the wiretapping of opposition party during the last elections, prosecutors which are still anti-PiS and members of the agency that check for government overreach. There's also stuff like general corruption, but the target voters don't care, because PiS gave them lowered retirement age and 500 PLN/child/month ($125 roughly, 1/6 of current minimum wage).

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I imagine that if said invasion comes to pass, we may see a fracturing of NATO as Eastern European countries realize they're on their own, and subsequently an increase in nationalism and military spending. Imagine the hard right turn in Poland but everywhere in Eastern Europe.

A shattered American hegemony may look like something to celebrate for some but short term it's chaos and tension.

What the hell are you going on about? Ukraine is not a NATO member state. Also, Poland has had a hard right government for years now, there’s literally nowhere for them to double down even.

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

I would read it as within 72 hours of invasion, not within 72 hours from now.

You could also read that explicitly, if you’d follow to the end of the thread.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 6, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

People describe NATO as an 'anti Russia alliance' but the truth is that throughout the 90's and most of the 00's NATO has had a real crisis of identity. Everyone in Europe drew down their conventional forces significantly, and even as NATO expanded eastwards the amount of forces deployed by Allies in Germany got reduced by more and more. There's been a long running argument between 'NATO is about Russia', 'NATO is an obsolete relic we keep around for form's sake', 'NATO can protect southern Europe from instability in Africa/the Middle East', and 'NATO can be the expeditionary wing of the EU projecting stability in it's neighbourhood'.

Far from fracturing NATO, it's looking pretty clear that this crisis has resolved the argument pretty strongly in favour of the the 'Russia is the main challenge' camp (at least for the time being).

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1490303211193913346

Thanks for the clarification, Alexander G.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

lol he got scared by Lithuania.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If it's in reference to his interview to Soloviev, he was talking about cutting off gas and electricity supply to Ukraine, not military involvement. At least that's what is in the clip everyone's posting, I'm not watching the entire thing, sorry.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Paladinus posted:

If it's in reference to his interview to Soloviev, he was talking about cutting off gas and electricity supply to Ukraine, not military involvement. At least that's what is in the clip everyone's posting, I'm not watching the entire thing, sorry.

True, but now he's saying he will launch missiles on Ukraine if the US pushes Ukraine into war.

https://t.me/bbbreaking/113260

quote:

Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko said that Moscow and Minsk drew "red lines" for Kiev, crossing which he would receive an answer, but at the same time expressed the opinion that the United States was pushing Ukraine to war. “This is just the essence of the war, about which you are now debating, and we have:“ Oh, Ukraine will fight. Yes, not Ukraine, the Americans are pushing them to war, ”Lukashenko said. Answering the question of how to properly behave with Kiev in such a situation, Lukashenka said that "everything was done very correctly by the president of Russia." "I support it. We drew" red lines ". Stepped on the" red line "- get it!" - continued the Belarusian president. In response to a clarifying question whether a missile attack on the territory of Ukraine could be the answer, Lukashenka said that "not only." "Everything there is. If you drew a" red line ", then you drew it for what? So that no one crosses it," he stressed.

Apologies for Google translation.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Ah, okay. It's a different clip.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/SprottenMarty/status/1489992408519610372

Lets talk more about who's media is escalating the situation with inflammatory rhetoric

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Conspiratiorist posted:

Sorry, I'm drinking straight from the tap so I don't have much in the way of comprehensive analyses.

Fox News' Jen Griffin (I know) did report 83 BTGs + 14 in transit yesterday, but over on my side the count is up to 102 BTGs with sporadic new sightings (plus whatever the ships en route are carrying), leading to an estimated 105~110 BTG intended total. This is on the heavier side of half the BTG potential of the entire Russian military, which depending on who you ask and when is roughly 200.

Here's an acquaintance's self-made force concentration map:

what do the symbols mean

this is literally illegible to me

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Whoever this guy is, pretty mean to draw devil horns on him.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

THE BAR posted:

Whoever this guy is, pretty mean to draw devil horns on him.

This is Polish Bernie Sanders, if we omit a few details.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

FishBulbia posted:

what do the symbols mean

this is literally illegible to me

Red icons are peacekeeping forces. Areas without red icons are currently terrorised by western homofascist mobs. HTH

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

cinci zoo sniper posted:

This is Polish Bernie Sanders, if we omit a few details.

Nah, I wish he was like Sanders. Tusk is very centre-left.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Terminally Bored posted:

So is Sanders, among the Deep Thinkers Online

https://politicalcompass.org/uselection2020

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 6, 2022

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
What are the thread recommendations for accessible and not too dated documentaries about the collapse of the USSR or the aftermath of that?

I'd like to throw a couple of links at someone, but realised that I don't actually know of any.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Rust Martialis posted:

So is Sanders, among the Deep Thinkers Online

https://politicalcompass.org/uselection2020
Political Compasses no longer make sense and feel like EU smugposting nowadays

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

a podcast for cats posted:

What are the thread recommendations for accessible and not too dated documentaries about the collapse of the USSR or the aftermath of that?

I'd like to throw a couple of links at someone, but realised that I don't actually know of any.

I know Stephen Kotkin wrote a book on the subject, and this panel discussion came up on a search. It's not quite what you asked for, and I haven't watched it myself yet, but it's probably a decent starting point.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?169713-1/armageddon-averted

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Terminally Bored posted:

I was not characterising Tusk’s politics there, only the extent of hatred and the kind of accusations he earns from domestic right-wingers.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

a podcast for cats posted:

Serhii Plokhyy's The Last Empire: The Final Days of the Soviet Union is good, though it's been a while since I read it.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Alchenar posted:

People describe NATO as an 'anti Russia alliance' but the truth is that throughout the 90's and most of the 00's NATO has had a real crisis of identity. Everyone in Europe drew down their conventional forces significantly, and even as NATO expanded eastwards the amount of forces deployed by Allies in Germany got reduced by more and more. There's been a long running argument between 'NATO is about Russia', 'NATO is an obsolete relic we keep around for form's sake', 'NATO can protect southern Europe from instability in Africa/the Middle East', and 'NATO can be the expeditionary wing of the EU projecting stability in it's neighbourhood'.

Far from fracturing NATO, it's looking pretty clear that this crisis has resolved the argument pretty strongly in favour of the the 'Russia is the main challenge' camp (at least for the time being).

If there was such an identity crisis for NATO in then '90s, what was the motivation for the Baltics joining the alliance? Because I only see Russia as their sole security concern. Likewise, what did the other NATO members gain from them joining? It sure seems like NATO never dropped it's anti-Russia position even after the collapse of the USSR.

Of course NATO can walk and chew bubblegum at the same time, so the other raisons d'etre you list could also be valid simultaneously. But it always was and always has had an anti-Russia dimension to it.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

TipTow posted:

If there was such an identity crisis for NATO in then '90s, what was the motivation for the Baltics joining the alliance? Because I only see Russia as their sole security concern. Likewise, what did the other NATO members gain from them joining? It sure seems like NATO never dropped it's anti-Russia position even after the collapse of the USSR.

Of course NATO can walk and chew bubblegum at the same time, so the other raisons d'etre you list could also be valid simultaneously. But it always was and always has had an anti-Russia dimension to it.

It's a military alliance and Russia is the biggest military nearby that's not invited to the party, so it'll always be about Russia until Russia joins or NATO dissolves.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

TipTow posted:

Well, obviously there's only one country that poses a serious Article 5 risk in Europe and that's a large part of why the Baltics wanted in. But NATO is also a significant part of the Western international system and most ex-Warsaw Pact countries saw accession as being hand in hand with EU membership as being a natural part of reintegration of the European order they had been shut out.

If you look at the language of the texts and press releases around each phase of expansion there's basically no mention oblique or otherwise of Russia or the risk of state-on-state warfare, the reason it was so easy and uncontroversial in NATO was because most member states took the position that we were past Russia as an issue.

e: note that the EU also has a mutual defence clause as per the Treaty of Lisbon. There aren't really any organisational structures behind that though because the unspoken assumption is that NATO is the vehicle that does serious collective defence coordination for member states.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 6, 2022

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I was not characterising Tusk’s politics there, only the extent of hatred and the kind of accusations he earns from domestic right-wingers.

Oh, ok. In that case Tusk is the boogeyman for the Polish right, pretty much the only person who Kaczynski fears just because he was so successful before coming back to Poland. Tusk left his position as PM in 2014 to become the president of the European Council which was a pretty big deal at the time.

PO is still laughably incompetent policy-wise (think modern Labour post Corbyn, just empty performative poo poo) and their only redeeming quality is that they weren't actively dismantling the democratic system from inside out. Not that it worked that well or fair to begin with.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

As an EU politician, I really enjoyed Tusk. But then again, I’m a Verhofstadt enjoyer, and my preferences for EU would definitely make a fair number of people uneasy.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Alchenar posted:

Well, obviously there's only one country that poses a serious Article 5 risk in Europe and that's a large part of why the Baltics wanted in. But NATO is also a significant part of the Western international system and most ex-Warsaw Pact countries saw accession as being hand in hand with EU membership as being a natural part of reintegration of the European order they had been shut out.

If you look at the language of the texts and press releases around each phase of expansion there's basically no mention oblique or otherwise of Russia or the risk of state-on-state warfare, the reason it was so easy and uncontroversial in NATO was because most member states took the position that we were past Russia as an issue.

e: note that the EU also has a mutual defence clause as per the Treaty of Lisbon. There aren't really any organisational structures behind that though because the unspoken assumption is that NATO is the vehicle that does serious collective defence coordination for member states.
Aside from that, the eastern members (obviously) weren't a part of NATO before they joined. The Cold War NATO members could've been entirely unsure about the purpose of NATO post-Cold War, and it still wouldn't have mattered for the countries joining if they had a clear picture of what NATO offered them.

But yeah, NATO being part of the package of being a "modern Western nation" would be an obvious reason to join, even with no fear of Russia. Arguably that same idea would also be a reason for NATO members to accept these eastern applicants, either from an idealistic position or to solidify a pro-Western position that would ensure continuous market access. NATO didn't need to be anything but a cool kids club.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

TipTow posted:

The baltic members got in more because of their own efforts than because of (and if anything probably in spite of) pushes from major nato members. And it was still ~a decade from seeking membership to actually getting in.

They appear to have seen their situation as much more precarious long-term and wanted insurance against Russian interference or expansion. If anything they seem to have been thinking farther ahead than mid-90s NATO

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
The main opposition to Yeltsin were various flavors of red-brown revanschists that were aggressively militaristic and the baltics saw a significant risk of them gaining power

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

It's a military alliance and Russia is the biggest military nearby that's not invited to the party, so it'll always be about Russia until Russia joins or NATO dissolves.

That's such awful nonsense... imagine if anybody said that about the US. Venezuela's politics is all about the US until Venezuela has an American puppet installed.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ugh can we stop the Russian invasion solely to prevent an uptick in full gopnikism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Ugh can we stop the Russian invasion solely to prevent an uptick in full gopnikism

Gopniks were a thing everywhere in ex-USSR.

Edit:

https://rebaltica.lv/2022/02/asv-sankcijam-aizverot-tranzita-celus-belaruskalij-meklejis-iespejas-ventspili/

Some local weasels are trying to figure out if they can profiteer on Lithuania shutting Belaruskaliy transit down. If I had to guess, it won't quite work out.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Feb 7, 2022